Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

ack! posted:

When I was a kid I saw the Wings show about the Cobra. It said something about it being only 3 feet wide and therefore hard to spot when head on. So I promptly got out the model I had of it, put it in the trees, and had my little brother try to find it. We then made a game out of taking turns setting it on various branches and seeing if the other could see it. I miss being a kid, watching Wings, and making models.

Related note: you can now get the SR-71 in 1/144 scale kit (IE the tiny aircraft scale) if you feel like scratching the modeling itch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Styles Bitchley
Nov 13, 2004

FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN FOR THE WIN
Looks like SpaceX is GO for ISS launch Saturday morning at 4:55am ET, weather permitting.

Gisnep
Mar 29, 2010

Ridge_Runner_5 posted:

So now the question is; what does that L bracket control?
The fuel control unit, which the pilot controls to set engine power.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
A Hawker Hunter crashed near the Camarillo airport.

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2012/may/18/former-military-plane-crashes-near-camarillo/

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

A student posted:

A Hawker Hunter crashed near the Camarillo airport.

http://www.vcstar.com/news/2012/may/18/former-military-plane-crashes-near-camarillo/

ATAC has had a pretty terrible year.

Choco Zulu
Oct 10, 2007

A critical mass of chocolate confectionary

pbpancho posted:

Here are some pics of that F-82 I got to see:

Dumb question: Why are interior ribs/skeletons of aircraft painted yellow like this? I see a lot of this color when people post photos of wartime assembly lines or the Boeing plant.

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005

Choco Zulu posted:

Dumb question: Why are interior ribs/skeletons of aircraft painted yellow like this? I see a lot of this color when people post photos of wartime assembly lines or the Boeing plant.

Probably some sort of anti-corrosion coating since the inside of the aircraft will not see as much maintenance as the outside would

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Choco Zulu posted:

It's zinc chromate primer. By itself, it's enough to protect interior parts from corrosion, and paint sticks to it nicely for the exterior bits.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150974801887812.479355.515207811&type=3

I don't know if you guys will be able to see that, I have it set to public, but I went to an Air Show today and snapped a heap of pictures. If you can't see them I'll re-upload them all on Photobucket after the MotoGP is done. I also got a few videos of the Spitfires and other various things that I'll show up if you can't see them on my profile.

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

It says it's unavailable.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
http://www.cargolaw.com/2000nightmare_africa_air.html

707 that landed just a touch short. It's amazing how intact it is considering that its approach speed around the threshold is around 135-140 KIAS. Boeing builds them strong.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

HeyEng posted:

http://www.cargolaw.com/2000nightmare_africa_air.html

707 that landed just a touch short. It's amazing how intact it is considering that its approach speed around the threshold is around 135-140 KIAS. Boeing builds them strong.

quote:

"An AVweb reader sent in photos of a damaged 707 sitting sadly in the water short of the runway at Mwanza, asmall port city on Lake Victoria in northwestern Tanzania. Apparently,after two unsuccessful approaches at night, the pilot of the Arabian-registered [cargo plane came in low and was duly warned by the tower. The captain replied that he knew what he was doing -- and then proceeded to hit the water a couple of miles short of the runway. Theimpact tore off all four engines and the landing gear, but the fuselage was unpunctured and the crew -- with no injuries -- was picked up by a fishing boat, and the remains of the plane were towed closer to shore. Ironically, the plane was supposed to pick up a load of fish: "Maybe the pilot misunderstood where," our reader speculated". (contributed by our reader Chris Hocking)

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
That must've been a really lovely airfield or very low ceilings if the dude could not find approach lights, or any lights, on 2 previous approaches.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Advent Horizon posted:

It says it's unavailable.

In that case, here we go ... I'll confine the pictures to just planes although the Album they're in has heaps of warry stuff.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

So, I'm sure these are old news, but look what I found in Chicago this weekend.

At first I was like, STUKA! Then I saw the Spitfire and was like, Oh, oh man. That Stuka is hosed

Apparently one of two Stukas left in the world. It's in remarkably good shape, but is riddled with bullet holes.

A veteran of the Battle of Britain.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys
I would so love for United to put out a variation of this, complete with tulip logo, on some of their new planes, but there's no way that will happen under new management.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
Wasn't there a specific reason planes stopped getting bare shiny bellies?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

EnergizerFellow posted:

I would so love for United to put out a variation of this, complete with tulip logo, on some of their new planes, but there's no way that will happen under new management.

They have this guy, which is pretty cool.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!
First, you're a nut for coming to chicago this weekend.

And the airplane collection at MSI is awesome. Sadly they don't tell to much about them. The story of how they got that airliner in there is pretty impressive.

Did you visit u505?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Preoptopus posted:

Wasn't there a specific reason planes stopped getting bare shiny bellies?

No, and they didn't. If you paint the whole thing, that's added weight which means you burn more fuel for the same payload. If you don't paint the bare metal, then you either keep it polished or the surface eventually degrades and causes added drag which means either you spend money on maintenance or you burn more fuel for the same payload. It's pretty much a wash unless fuel costs go really high, so some airlines that started going with bare metal back in the 70s have reverted to paint, and others like American Airlines with a long tradition of bare metal have stuck with that.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø

Phanatic posted:

No, and they didn't. If you paint the whole thing, that's added weight which means you burn more fuel for the same payload. If you don't paint the bare metal, then you either keep it polished or the surface eventually degrades and causes added drag which means either you spend money on maintenance or you burn more fuel for the same payload. It's pretty much a wash unless fuel costs go really high, so some airlines that started going with bare metal back in the 70s have reverted to paint, and others like American Airlines with a long tradition of bare metal have stuck with that.

I see how paint weight can affect fuel economy but never thought it would be drastic enough to determine the paint job! I love learning fun facts like this.

CroatianAlzheimers
Jun 15, 2009

I can't remember why I'm mad at you...

Nerobro posted:

First, you're a nut for coming to chicago this weekend.

And the airplane collection at MSI is awesome. Sadly they don't tell to much about them. The story of how they got that airliner in there is pretty impressive.

Did you visit u505?

Ugh, I know. My wife booked us a hotel and train tickets for our ten year anniversary months ago, well before the NATO thing was announced. It wasn't that bad, we got around okay for the most part.

And oh yeah, we did the U-505 tour. It was pretty phenomenal, I had goosebumps the entire time. Our tour guide was pretty great, and I love that story. Boarders away! They did a hell of a job with that whole display. The footage of them moving that sub is pretty amazing, too. I do really wish there was more info about the aircraft. All I know about the 727 is that they landed it at Meigs and then...it magically appeared in the museum apparently.

sounds pretty tough
May 17, 2012

Being an asshole is just part of my manly essence
Hey folks,
I currently work for a defense contractor that specializes in flight simulation and I just happened on this thread and it's awesome. I have always been really into planes, my father is an aeronautical engineer and I has shown me some crazy poo poo. Right now I am doing graphic design in making function touchscreen cockpits for f-16s and 737s for several different companies. I have been working here a few years now and watched a lot of nerd boner producing stuff pass through this place. I'll probably be back to this thread sometime soon to post more pictures of cool poo poo.

Last week while testing a prop assembly there was a malfunction in one of the pivoting controllers and it literally loving blew up. It was pretty nuts. The prop itself was bolted to a 140lbs piece of steel and after the jacket dismantled it was out of balance and was literally vibrating itself across the floor like a spinning wheel of death. There were about 7 people in the room and it was a huge wonder that no one was hurt.

Is anyone else here working in the simulation/UAV industry? I was at ITSEC this past november and met a lot of cool programmers and engineers and sat in some of the most incredible sims I have ever seen. Unfortunately no one would let me take any pictures of their sims otherwise I would post em.

edit: removed image that was the size of moscow

sounds pretty tough fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 21, 2012

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Preoptopus posted:

I see how paint weight can affect fuel economy but never thought it would be drastic enough to determine the paint job! I love learning fun facts like this.

Look at some pictures of older FedEx jets (before the damned arrow logo), they were big purple jets instead of white. If I recall correctly, either the purple paint ended up costing more because it got degraded by UV quicker (meaning more frequent repaints) or the white paint was cheaper/lighter.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Preoptopus posted:

That's how Mercedes ended up with a tradition of silver racing cars: Not painting aluminium bodies.

movax posted:

Look at some pictures of older FedEx jets (before the damned arrow logo), they were big purple jets instead of white. If I recall correctly, either the purple paint ended up costing more because it got degraded by UV quicker (meaning more frequent repaints) or the white paint was cheaper/lighter.
Of course it's lighter, it's titanium white! :rolleye:

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 21, 2012

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

movax posted:

White paint also makes it easier to cool the plane, which might be important for a number of cargoes.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Phanatic posted:

Isn't this also the reason you see a lot of painted planes in the early years of ww2, but then as range became more and more of a factor you see a lot of stuff switch to bare metal?

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Mr. Despair posted:

Isn't this also the reason you see a lot of painted planes in the early years of ww2, but then as range became more and more of a factor you see a lot of stuff switch to bare metal?

Partly, but the biggest reason why a lot of later WWII aircraft are unpainted is simply because they couldn't afford to paint the aircraft in terms of time, manpower or resources.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
It's not like they were going to be in the air long enough for it to matter.

otaku69
May 18, 2003
I was watching something on the Airbus 380 and they said that white paint weighs the most because it need lots of pigment.

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Cygni posted:

They have this guy, which is pretty cool.

Flew on this a couple of months back (think I posted about it in the thread). It's pretty cool looking in person.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
US Airways does a really good job with the four retro liveries. I always see them chillin at DCA.

The best is the PSA one obviously but the others are cool too.

edit: the wingtip fences on that UAL A320 (?) are cool as gently caress.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 22, 2012

Advent Horizon
Jan 17, 2003

I’m back, and for that I am sorry

Mr. Despair posted:

Don't forget that a lot of planes prior to WWII had fabric skins which need paint (dope) regardless of any other concerns.

A lot of those they painted gray/sliver to match any aluminum. See the control surfaces of a DC3 for an example.

The cool thing about fabric planes is that if you REALLY want to cut weight you don't actually need a skin. There are Super Cubs running around up here with barely enough skin to cover the pilot (I've seen flying pictures with only the lift and control surfaces covered). Those planes can get darn close to helicopter landings but suck in foul weather or cross country trips.

In the case of fabric planes up here you either want to run something bright (easier to find in flight or by search parties) or grey (matches duct tape).

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Advent Horizon posted:

The cool thing about fabric planes is that if you REALLY want to cut weight you don't actually need a skin. There are Super Cubs running around up here with barely enough skin to cover the pilot (I've seen flying pictures with only the lift and control surfaces covered). Those planes can get darn close to helicopter landings but suck in foul weather or cross country trips.

In the case of fabric planes up here you either want to run something bright (easier to find in flight or by search parties) or grey (matches duct tape).

Speaking of Super Cubs, not needing a skin, and duct tape:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10434561-1.html

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Phanatic posted:

Speaking of Super Cubs, not needing a skin, and duct tape:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10434561-1.html

Mythbusters tested this and wound up replacing ALL the skin with duct tape and flew the plane around. It was pretty cool.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

âрø ÿþûþÑÂúø,
трø ÿþ трø ÿþûþÑÂúø
B-29 Frozen In Time
"B-29 Frozen in Time follows Darryl Greenamyer and his crew as they try to retrieve an almost intact B-29 from the Arctic Circle"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hFdFo9Yo0LI

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Knowing how that ends, I can't loving watch it. :(

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Goddamn I remember the first time I watched that documentary and how awesome it was that they were going to just refurb this plane and fly it home, how loving cool is that and then, well, gently caress :(.

Probably one of the first times I ever actually yelled at the TV out of rage/sadness.

Terrible Robot fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 22, 2012

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

B-29 Frozen In Time
"B-29 Frozen in Time follows Darryl Greenamyer and his crew as they try to retrieve an almost intact B-29 from the Arctic Circle"

Should have subtitled it Darryl Greenamyer half-asses it and destroys another airplane. But at least this time someone died needlessly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterboyX
Jun 27, 2003
I want to eat my chicken.
I brought this documentry up at work last week and basically the entire company (theres about 10 of us) were watching this documentary in the bosses office.

Such a sad story, and the fact that one of the guys died... wow