Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

StickySweater posted:

Star Wars Rebellion had a crap-ton of problems with it, but I would say that I did have some fun with it. It had some cool cinematics.

It did, but it was the closest I could ever get to Star Wars Master of Orion so I loved it to pieces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I thought it weird that the losing cutscenes in Rebellion were way better than the winning ones.

e: that was a game that could do with a sequel. The RPG elements with the possiblity of finding Force sensitive characters had promise.

Alchenar fucked around with this message at 22:25 on May 21, 2012

Sombrerotron
Aug 1, 2004

Release my children! My hat is truly great and mighty.

macnbc posted:

It did, but it was the closest I could ever get to Star Wars Master of Orion so I loved it to pieces.
Rebellion deserved more recognition than it ever got. The very clumsy interface, decrepit 3D engine used for the battles, and poor AI were significant problems, yes, but there was an amazing and virtually unique strategy game beneath all that. The trouble was that, as with XvT, you really had to go online to understand this. Way back when I played a few matches against a friend of mine, and in spite of the dreary graphics and general non-excitement inherent in (semi-)turn-based strategy, it was often extremely tense and incredibly rewarding (if I succeeded).

The main reason for this is that, more often than not, you really do not know what your opponent is up to - even if he's operating right under your nose. A lot of 'action' in the game is hidden from view unless you manage to acquire sufficient intel to reveal it, or if a traitorous enemy agent is kind enough to send it to you. This does not only relate to construction projects on planets or enemy agent activity, but even to fleet movements. That's the other thing that makes Rebellion so interesting: moving ships around the galaxy can take dozens of days, and once they've entered hyperspace there's no way to cancel their trip. Meanwhile, it is possible at times to discover where an enemy fleet is inbound. Embarking on such voyages, then, presents the risk of flying into a trap or permitting your enemy from happily cleaning house at the planet or in the sector you've just left. Of course, turtling up will inevitably cause you to lose the game, so you have no choice but to take the plunge at some point. Having to constantly work in the dark, weighing your odds, taking chances and hoping for the best in this fashion makes for an exceptional online experience. I've always considered Rebellion a singular - and successful - game for this reason. Maybe there's other titles that feature the same mechanics, but I'm not aware of any.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

I want to see GOG dip into the library of old Sega PC ports. Sega Rally 2's PC port is really good, it's actually superior to the Dreamcast version because it runs at 60FPS. Plus it's just fun because it's Sega Rally and you drift everywhere. It does work on Windows 7 too.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Hell, if we're gonna say Sega and PC in the same post, I will bring up wanting the unholy heck out of a functioning copy of Rockey Jockey.

Sackmo
Oct 13, 2004
Glad to see some love for Rebellion in here. I adored that game when it came out, and read the entire manual which was mega huge for a video game. I had the poster with all the unit details on my wall for years. :3:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Considering Sega's financial woes, I'm surprised they aren't here signing up with GOG ASAP. Hell, even some of their more recent ventures like Condemned and Billy Hatcher aren't on Steam. Then there's all the older stuff like Panzer Dragoon. Free money if I ever seen it.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Seriously, Condemned is on GamersGate but not Gog or Steam :psyduck:

Quad
Dec 31, 2007

I've seen pogs you people wouldn't believe
As for a direct answer to the earlier question, there is absolutely zero reason to ever play Populous 1 now that 2 is on GoG. I'm another person randomly firing up the Amiga 500 and rolling through some Populous 2 a few times a year for the last 10 years... it is such an amazing game, and better than the original in every way.

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Crash74 posted:

Gog needs to get homeworld and homeworld 2, i cant find these games at any legit game retailer.

I've snagged boxed copies of all the Homeworld games off of Amazon. The only hitch was that one that claimed to come with the soundtrack didn't actually have it, but otherwise it's been fine.

I do hope with the revival of X-Com and the various Kickstarter projects that somebody will resurrect Homeworld, maybe actually make Dust Wars instead of whatever the heck Homeworld 2 was rectonned into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkJENS5KA30
The Most Anticipated Strategy Game of 2003. :argh:

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Sackmo posted:

Glad to see some love for Rebellion in here. I adored that game when it came out, and read the entire manual which was mega huge for a video game. I had the poster with all the unit details on my wall for years. :3:

I loved that game.

My only problem with it was I would get a really long drawn out campaign going as the Rebels and by the time I got to Coruscant they'd have like a million units, a million shields etc and I could never bombbard/sabotage/assassinate anything to get at that goddamn Emperor!!!

Christina Arugula
Aug 10, 2004
How do you like your lawn? Broiled or charred?
Ramrod XTreme
I feel retarded for asking this, but in QFG1 (Remake), how do I get to the stats screen when I am in game? I beat this on the original version, I swear. :qfg:

Dragonrah
Aug 22, 2003

J.C. Bearington, III

Magellanicice9 posted:

I feel retarded for asking this, but in QFG1 (Remake), how do I get to the stats screen when I am in game? I beat this on the original version, I swear. :qfg:

Edit: What the hell was I thinking.

I had forgotten this myself when I first booted the game up.

Dragonrah fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 22, 2012

dud root
Mar 30, 2008
^^ What? No. If you mean the character sheet, mouse up to the banner, select the icon next to the magic user star (kinda looks like a square ninja star from memory). This opens up options for walk/run/sneak/sleep and character/stats.

HitmanAndQuitIt
Sep 13, 2002

dont take extercy
I'm about to play through Gabriel Knight 3 - does it have any classic sierra "gently caress yourself over" moments? Or am I free to go through it and not be worried about that?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

I'm about to play through Gabriel Knight 3 - does it have any classic sierra "gently caress yourself over" moments? Or am I free to go through it and not be worried about that?

Aside from that "what the gently caress" moment I don't recall it has any dead-ends, no

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Syrg Sapphire posted:

Aside from that "what the gently caress" moment I don't recall it has any dead-ends, no

The macro puzzle is pretty awesome, as well...

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Crash74 posted:

Gog needs to get homeworld and homeworld 2, i cant find these games at any legit game retailer.

In the same way I don't understand why Monolith doesn't make another NOLF, I can't for the life of me understand why Relic doesn't make Homeworld 3.

:(

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

StickySweater posted:

I got X-Wing vs Tie-Fighter and Star Wars: Rebellion at a computer trade show in 1998 in King of Prussia, PA. I paid $20 to get in, so I had to buy something. I ended up getting these two titles basically out of desperation at a pretty inflated price. I think I probably spent between $70 and $80 that day.

Star Wars Rebellion had a crap-ton of problems with it, but I would say that I did have some fun with it. It had some cool cinematics.

XvTF on the other hand I never got to play because I found out after getting it home that it required a joystick. Couple that with the various problems my old 133mhz Pentium 1 had back in the day and I shouldn't have been surprised I only got to play one of the two games. At least I got that.

Both of these games cna still be played, if you have the discs. Rebellion requires some third party software, but with that you can pretty much play it flawlessy in Windows 7.

Sonic H
Dec 8, 2004

Me love you long time

WMain00 posted:

I can't for the life of me understand why Relic doesn't make Homeworld 3.

I would happily fund this project myself if I had the cash. Holy poo poo. (Although I really sucked at H2)

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's because CoH and DoW have been ridiculously more popular than Homeworld and so long as they can only develop 2 big strategy games at the same time then they're going to iterate those two games (especially as the technology and lessons they develop for one is often directly applicable to the other).

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Alchenar posted:

It's because CoH and DoW have been ridiculously more popular than Homeworld and so long as they can only develop 2 big strategy games at the same time then they're going to iterate those two games (especially as the technology and lessons they develop for one is often directly applicable to the other).

I think I read some recent steam-news that the next DoW will be a bit more epic in scale, so you'll have more then 20 dudes running around. If that's the case it may diverge from CoH.

Regardless, stop crushing my dreams of seeing Homeworld 3, I need it :( I just bought Endless Space though, so hopefully that'll be my space-strategy fix.

Edit: ^^^@ Sonic H, Homeworld 2's campaign was bugged with a really ridiculous "AI-adjusting difficulty curve", so that the AI got better the better you played. I was doing beautifully till one of the final missions, when I gated in and was faced by something like 15 battlecruisers.

Prawned fucked around with this message at 12:09 on May 22, 2012

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I'm going to burst your bubble for a moment: Homeworld 2 was terrible for all kinds of reasons and just piggybacks nostalgia for the first game.

If Relic made a Homeworld 3 then for design purposes they'd basically be starting from scratch and that could go either way.

PS. It's entirely possible that CoH2 will also be more epic in scale. We haven't really heard anything yet.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I thought Homeworld 2's UI was easier to use compared to Homeworld 1's, which had a tendency to hide everything and make it difficult to control objects on screen.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

I'd say that Homeworld 2 can't match the original in terms of storyline and it certainly doesn't resonate nearly as much. However, its overall presentation is much better and its easily one of the most beautiful games I've ever played.

And it doesn't have a song by Yes on the soundtrack.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

HitmanAndQuitIt posted:

No, none. Any (rare but possible) fatal mistakes show their results quite immediately and you're dead within a few seconds. The times when you can die are rare as such and generally give you a fair warning before you're in danger.

But no creeping Sierra dead-ends.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
They got Dreamfall now, which is cool, since at retail it had Starforce. So good to see it DRM free.

Still, $15 is a bit too expensive.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Edit: nevermind :doh:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

ymgve posted:

They got Dreamfall now, which is cool, since at retail it had Starforce. So good to see it DRM free.

Still, $15 is a bit too expensive.

It does seem to be oddly expensive. Even steam sells it at $15 or something.

Was a reasonably good game. Less for the actual gameplay and more for continuing the story.

If you have it in disc there's a patch out that removes starforce.

Finger Sandwiches
Jul 12, 2000

Perfect for getting that last bit of food from across the table.

WMain00 posted:

In the same way I don't understand why Monolith doesn't make another NOLF, I can't for the life of me understand why Relic doesn't make Homeworld 3.

I assume that Fox owns NOLF, while Monolith now belongs to Warner Bros. Hopefully they're not doomed to making exclusively Batman/DC Comics games for the rest of their existence.

THQ actually acquired the Homeworld property in 2007, so there's at least hope that we'll see a new one of those eventually.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Jet-Poop posted:

THQ actually acquired the Homeworld property in 2007, so there's at least hope that we'll see a new one of those eventually.

Oh no and THQ is by all reports hanging on by a thread.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

WMain00 posted:

It does seem to be oddly expensive. Even steam sells it at $15 or something.

I don't know what this means. This competing service sells it at the same price, so GOG seems oddly expensive? Also, Steam sells it for $20: http://store.steampowered.com/app/6300/

I played through Dreamfall for the first time a few years ago, but I thought it was great, with a few caveats on the gameplay. Namely, everything that wasn't what I would call "adventure" gameplay was horrible, especially the stealth segments. Ugh. But it's a really well realized world with good art direction that I would think overcomes the aging technical aspects, the voice acting is good, and the music is GREAT. I enjoyed the "main" plot, but note that (general spoilers, no specifics) most of the plot threads aren't wrapped up in any way resembling satisfying.

Dear Funcom, stop making lovely MMOs and get back to making Longest Journey games.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

The absolute worst thing about Dreamfall is that there is still no Dreamfall 2 (and probably never will be). Everything else can be overlooked.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Zat posted:

The absolute worst thing about Dreamfall is that there is still no Dreamfall 2 (and probably never will be). Everything else can be overlooked.

Ragnar Tornquist has said a number of times that Dreamfall Chapters is still happening (at some point after Secret World is released), and that he'll finish the story somehow (even if it's writing it on postcards after the internet's collapsed and the world is ending.)

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

macnbc posted:

Ragnar Tornquist has said a number of times that Dreamfall Chapters is still happening (at some point after Secret World is released), and that he'll finish the story somehow (even if it's writing it on postcards after the internet's collapsed and the world is ending.)

I'm glad he's still having that stance. I mean maybe he should realize the episodic train was a wreck and set his aim on a full retail game instead, but anything to see an ending to the story would be cool.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

WMain00 posted:

I thought Homeworld 2's UI was easier to use compared to Homeworld 1's, which had a tendency to hide everything and make it difficult to control objects on screen.

Homeworld 2 looked amazing and controlled much better, but unfortunately was terrible. I'm still sad that the fan-made port of HW1 to the HW2 engine fizzled.

I'd love a Homeworld 3, but at the same time I'm not sure I'd trust Relic to make it. :smith:

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

ToxicFrog posted:

'd love a Homeworld 3, but at the same time I'm not sure I'd trust Relic to make it. :smith:

Presumably if they did it now it would be Homeworld: Terra: IN THE NAME OF THE EMPEROR

Wait, hold on, a WH40K space strategy game would be awesome.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Jet Jaguar posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkJENS5KA30
The Most Anticipated Strategy Game of 2003. :argh:

Radio chatter between units is criminally underused in strategy games.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
A Re-release of Homeworld 2 would be nice so that people could try out the mods people have created, and that now we have computers that can run the game in medium-high populated battles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

oh look, dreamfall: the longest journey.

for $15

when the original is only $10