Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pastorrich
Jun 7, 2008

Keep on truckin' like a novacane hurricane
Currently on day 12. I had my first "started smoking again" dream last night and I woke up to a low on nicotine patch so I had a huge craving. But then I remembered to change it and now it's fine. I think it's about the fifth time I try to quit in the last five months, and I've only made it 3 weeks in the past before the nostalgia took over and I thought I didn't want to "lose my smoking privilege for eternity". I've started exercising 5 days a week and that helps tons, because not only do you not see your weight going up, you see it going down. I'm pretty confident that this time it's going to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
I didn't get a chance to read through more than the first and last pages but, I'm an ex-smoker and wanted to chime in with encouragement! :toot:

I'm in year 3 of my second successful quitting and I am done, done, DONE smoking. Yes, I quit successfully twice. Long story. I've also helped three friends quit during rough times and I will leave you these words of wisdom that helped them - even if you have heard it all before:

A) You will become an rear end in a top hat for awhile. As long as you and those around you accept the fact it's part of the withdrawal and can deal with it, it will get better. It has to be understood that you are allowed to be angry, frustrated, etc.. as part of the healing process. I called my girlfriend at the time a million names and we were all good about it. Especially since I had to make up for it by buying her sweet gifts once I was done being angry.

B) The cravings and withdrawal torture WILL GO AWAY. It takes a long time. Maybe not physically a long time but, emotionally it will feel like FOREVER. There is light at the end of that tunnel, though. Don't stop trying. Trust me. It will go away. (Note: The desire may creep its ugly head quite often but, without cravings it's as easy as saying "No" to that extra slice of cake for dessert)

C) If you slip up, don't worry. It just means you have to start all over. It's a moment of weakness. You do not, however, have to succumb to it fully and quit quitting. Hopefully, repetitive "slip ups" will make you so sick of starting over that you will try harder not to slip up.

D) Yes, life is truly better not smoking.

Hope this helps at least one of you. Don't be afraid to talk about how much you hate having to quit. Find a buddy willing to listen to you.

Main Battery
Oct 20, 2005

Never Again Volunteer Yourself
I'm just around 48 hours without a cigarette. This is the longest I've gone without one in about two years.

I was prescribed Chantix last month after a visit to the doctor where I found out I have the lungs of a 66-year old (I'm 33), and that I'm going to get emphysema if I don't quit soon.

It's way past time for me to quit. I have a one-year old daughter, and should have quit before she was even born. I just hope it isn't too late...

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
You can do it Main Battery :) A word of advice though, Chantrix can make you really sick-feeling in the stomach. But myself and some of my friends that used it discovered that if you take it at night before you go to bed, you sleep through the worst of it. Good luck!

Main Battery
Oct 20, 2005

Thanks, bee! I've been coping with the nausea Chantix causes. I've found its best to take it on a full stomach. If you eat a little bit, or not at all, Chantix will mess you up. I'm on day 3 now, and the cravings aren't so bad. Unfortunately, I'm out of Chantix, and can't afford to refill the scrip. Hopefully, tomorrow won't be so bad.

koluski
Jun 1, 2009
This is my third day not smoking, im also a recovering addict and alcoholic so i've got a good base on how not to do poo poo you really want to do. But I haven't felt this kind of physical craving and withdrawals in so long it's crazy.

I know i'm not going to drink or use over this but holy poo poo I forgot what this feels like. I've been told to keep a bottle of water around and 'toothpicks' can help, but drat.

I was a pack every day and a half smoker and am on the 2nd tier patch which is 14mg or something like that but the rush of cravings I get every once in a while are intense.

I'm trying to stay positive and know that I'm just dealing with the physical withdrawals aspect but drat. And I don't want to replace this with something else, i've heard of people who chew the gum for years.

One thing I have been doing is only taking my id and what ever cash i'm going to spend with me and leaving cards and etc. at home so I can't buy a pack even if I want to.

edit: I have been a constant smoker for ten years

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.
Sounds like the patch is just prolonging the physical withdrawal. Be a pro and go 3 days cold turkey, that's the physical addiction gone. Stay strong and remember nicotine only exists to gently caress you over.

rockem
Aug 4, 2010

:krad:

koluski posted:

I'm trying to stay positive and know that I'm just dealing with the physical withdrawals aspect but drat. And I don't want to replace this with something else, i've heard of people who chew the gum for years.

One thing I have been doing is only taking my id and what ever cash i'm going to spend with me and leaving cards and etc. at home so I can't buy a pack even if I want to.

Smoking sucks in every way imaginable which is why everyone wants to quit. The stuff you think is great, like your morning coffee smoke, smoke breaks at work, after sex smoke, etc? Yeah, your nicotine fix. That's it.

All your nicotine addiction does, and all nicotine does, is make you wanna smoke. And you don't wanna smoke anymore because it sucks, which is why you're trying to quit in the first place.

Once it really sinks in just how incredibly stupid this whole process is, quitting gets way easier. Replacing smokes with something like patches or gum, isn't too bad of an idea. It's better then smoking. I did snus for a month or so after I quit to help out with cravings. I only used them here and there. But after a month or so I gave up snus too. It's like training wheels, you realize you don't need em.

Main Battery
Oct 20, 2005

jax posted:

Stay strong and remember nicotine only exists to gently caress you over.
This sums it up perfectly for me. Nicotine is a motherfucker.

I started smoking (albeit only once in a while) when I was about 15 or 16. I got tired of bumming off of people and started buying packs when I was about 19. It was all down hill from there. I was up to about a pack and a half a day for a while (sometimes two to two and a half packs if it was a day I was drinking). I tried to quit something like 15 times, and the only other time I was successful was when I was in boot camp. Of course, I started smoking again immediately afterwards. It seems no matter how hard I tried to quit - be it with the patch, or gum, or cold turkey - I just couldn't stop. Now, it's literally do or die. I am actually scared enough to say "no more" and stand by it.

I'm on my fourth day smoke-free, and despite the occasional nic fit, I feel great.

koluski
Jun 1, 2009
Those were a few crazy days of withdrawals, reminded me of some other drugs I use to do. It got easier once I realized how much it would suck if I did smoke one and then go through it all over again.

I'm still using the patch but I'm going to be weening myself off of that during the next week. What once was a constant craving is just sort of a passing idea.

Key is to stay busy, idle time is dangerous.

purpleandgold
Apr 13, 2012
Well, the last week has been fun. Three days without a cigarette, two days of chain-smoking and feeling very dissatisfied. And now I'm going to have about a week without a cigarette thanks to visiting my very anti-smoking parents; that's probably the push I need to actually quit.

Worst place ever to try to quit smoking: an oil rig. Everyone chain-smokes here and looks at you funny for not smoking. I'm just buying tons of Orbit gum to deal with the oral fixation/love of minty things.

eta: Nicorette is okay. The cinnamon kind tastes like original flavor Trident. Kept the craving at bay, but I think I might stick to regular gum and my two-pot-a-day coffee habit.

purpleandgold fucked around with this message at 14:05 on May 17, 2012

Saint Rockhopper
Oct 2, 2008
Just over 48 hours into my first (and hopefully only) quit attempt ever. I've been roughly a pack-a-day smoker for nearly four years. I'm going spontaneous cold turkey with the help of that Carr book.

The first day was pretty bad. Insomnia, and I almost gave up the first night (asked a friend to bring me a cigarette from his brother, but then didn't smoke it). The second day I didn't feel any strong cravings for a smoke, but I sure was pissed off at everybody and everything, and felt like sleeping all day.

Today is shaping up to be much better. Still no major cravings, and I woke up with more energy than I've had in months. I feel great about the idea of being a nonsmoker again, not worrying that I stink all the time, not cutting short family visits so I can sneak out for a cig, not being helpless without a pack and a lighter on my person at all times, not having greyish skin and nasty yellow teeth, not having trouble breathing.

Carr's book is the best loving thing I've ever read. I started reading it about 24 hours after I stopped smoking, and it's really giving me the motivation to keep this up. I don't find the writing as cheesy as everyone else seems to. Also willpower has never been my strong suit, so it's really helping me not to think of it as something that REQUIRES willpower- just a decision. It's not about denying myself anything I actually want.

Good luck fellow quitters, we can do this.

edit: Oh by the way I've been drinking whenever I feel like it (which is a lot). Felt like I should jump in at the deep end- it was a risk, but it's working out so far and hopefully I'm retraining myself not to go "NEEEED CIGARETTTESSSS" every time I have a sip of beer.

Also, weed helps.

Saint Rockhopper fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 17, 2012

Jailbrekr
Apr 8, 2002
A TOWN LEVELED BY AN EXPLOSION? DOZENS LIKELY KILLED? OH GOD LET ME SEE THAT SWEET VIDEO OH MY GOD I'M CUMMING
:fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap::fap:

jax posted:

Sounds like the patch is just prolonging the physical withdrawal. Be a pro and go 3 days cold turkey, that's the physical addiction gone. Stay strong and remember nicotine only exists to gently caress you over.

The physical addiction coupled with the psychological addiction is a major double whammy for me. Last time I went cold turkey I had a tantrum on the road and broke the multiswitch on the steering console. That was a $700 repair bill. So here I am, day 4, on stage 2 patches. I still have the urge to smoke but I can at least handle dealing with withdrawal from one of the two aspects of smoking.

sofokles
Feb 7, 2004

Fuck this
Keep up the good work, you KNOW you can do it, even when you doubt.

Reporting to brag about number of dollars saved over the last 241 days.

For it is a human number

It's number is Six Hundred and Sixty Six, and as a measure of just how evil cigarettes are that must be repeated no less than seven times to get the final amount.

Dollars. Not Canadian. Not Australian. Six Hundred and Sixty Six times Seven

Edit : some minor adjustments and the devil had been screwing with my numbers

sofokles fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 19, 2012

lotion
Feb 15, 2011

This road leads directly to the airport, Hannibal

jetgrindeggy posted:

I relapsed and had one cigarette a month or two ago, but other than that I've been smoke free for the past 119 days. It was weird, I actually didn't like the taste of it, and had no desire for another one. I still got winded as hell when I went running today, but that's because it was my first real exercise in a long time and I've become a gigantic fatass.

Wow, I wish that was my only relapse. Good for you. I have cut back on my smoking considerably over the past year. Right now, I'm trying to break a routine of two smokes during the drive to work, one after lunch, and two after work.

A funny thing happened a couple of days ago -- I thought I had a full pack with me before my drive in to work. Well, during my interstate drive, I reached in to my "smoky pouch" and found nothing. I was seriously freaking out.

But after a bit I thought to myself "gently caress it" and didn't stop off to get another pack. Somehow I made it through the day, and it was ok.

However, I did get stop by Taco Bell later that day and ordered like 10 soft tacos.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni
This thread inspired me to give this a serious go a couple of weeks ago, coupled with the fact that I was getting over a cold and those are loving annoying when you're a smoker. Thankfully I've never been a pack-a-day guy, I just smoked while doing certain routines, today I had my first relapse while out drinking with some friends because a smoker sat next to me and I folded like a pussy, just like half of a cigarette but still felt terrible.

One thing that I've noticed helps a lot is telling people you're trying to quit and making a serious go of it, it helps if you've got a support system just like with any other addiction and the biggest plus for me has been that I can actually enjoy smelling stuff properly again.

Also, I thought everyone here was nuts talking about their dream-smokes, but holy gently caress it does happen and I actually felt guilty about it.

Penfold the Brave
Feb 11, 2006

Crumbs!

Labradoodle posted:

This thread inspired me to give this a serious go a couple of weeks ago, coupled with the fact that I was getting over a cold and those are loving annoying when you're a smoker. Thankfully I've never been a pack-a-day guy, I just smoked while doing certain routines, today I had my first relapse while out drinking with some friends because a smoker sat next to me and I folded like a pussy, just like half of a cigarette but still felt terrible.

One thing that I've noticed helps a lot is telling people you're trying to quit and making a serious go of it, it helps if you've got a support system just like with any other addiction and the biggest plus for me has been that I can actually enjoy smelling stuff properly again.

Also, I thought everyone here was nuts talking about their dream-smokes, but holy gently caress it does happen and I actually felt guilty about it.

Don't kick yourself for relapsing! It's only been a couple of weeks, of course you are going to still have occasional cravings and dream about smoking. That's OK, that's normal. Don't beat yourself up. Be proud that you managed only 1/2 a cig, instead of a whole one, or five, or twenty. You didn't buy a pack. You are not a failure. You are a glorious awesome person who doesn't need to fund the shitheads at the tobacco industry and their awful product. You're better than them.

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making
Well, I have decided to try and quit smoking again. last time I managed about 5 months smoke free before I got laid off from work, which obviously broke me and I started up again. That was about a year and a half ago, and I have been smoking about 50g of rolling tobacco a week since then. Last cig was on Thursday evening, and I am trying cold turkey. Last time I tried to quit I used the lozenges, so this time I thought I would try nothing at all.

Holy crap, was I a miserable sod Thursday night and Friday. Working away from home with a group of people, the majority of whom smoke, is pretty tough. All through Friday I was getting hot flushes and had massive mood swings. Suprisingly I managed to not scream at a workmate (who is also one of my best friends) - all he was doing was laughing lots. Today though I have been feeling much better, being at home is helping, and I have bought a crap load of normal chewing gum which will be good for next week at work.

I also grabbed a copy of the Carr book. still need to start reading it though. Only one day left of the physical addiction and then its all down to my mind. Fingers crossed I wont cave. The cravings are pretty drat bad though. Anyone get that feeling like their lungs are burning theyre in such need of a fag? Its pretty horrible :(.

Interlude
Jan 24, 2001

Guns are basically hand fedoras.
Smoked for 10 years, got up to 2 packs a day in college, quit for a few months and then fell off the wagon again and did another few years at a pack a day. Shortly after my 30th birthday, I had a nasty upper respiratory infection that I decided to parlay into quitting. While I was at my doctor getting antibiotics, I asked for Chantix and started taking it.

Haven't had tobacco in 5 years and counting, and I won't again until they're harmless. At which point I'm going to smoke like a loving chimney because it's awesome.

Saint Rockhopper
Oct 2, 2008
On day 6, although I'm not counting the hours nearly as feverishly as I was at the very start. Here's something you don't hear often: quitting smoking is loving awesome.

I was always scared to quit because I thought I'd gain weight and miss punctuating my day with smokes. I DO sometimes miss it, I guess, but the cravings aren't terrible. I can handle them. Which is saying a lot because I've failed at literally every other willpower-related thing I've ever done, but I don't see myself ever smoking another cig. It gets said a lot, but really, if I can do it, anyone can.

As for getting fat, hahahaha. I was pretty wrong about that. My energy levels have skyrocketed since I quit, and now all I want to do is go hiking or camping or wake up at 6 am to go for a run. I get thinner and tanner and nicer-smelling and my teeth get whiter every single day. The first couple sucked, but only six days in I feel like a million bucks. I'm almost glad I started smoking four years ago because now I get to feel like THIS- happier, healthier, more attractive, richer, and more energetic all at once.

Seriously, quit smoking.

TheMilkyNutBall
Aug 18, 2008
I posted awhile back praising the Allen Caar book. I think I started smoking again after a few months of quitting, and then re-read the book and quit again. It's been about a year I think of me quitting and I have no cravings at all and absolutely no desire to smoke again. The only thing that makes me a little nervous is that I will smoke if I've had a moderate-severe amount of alcohol (2-3 times a month maybe?). I have literally no craving while sober, or even if I'm a little buzzed, but every now and then when I'm out and drinking a little more than usual I will light up one or two cigs (and then regret it the next morning). This is totally against the caar "There is no such thing as 1 cigarette"... but it's not really affecting me to bad other than a sore throat / regret the following morning. Is this bad? Does anyone else do this?

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

Pogue_Mahone posted:

Well, I have decided to try and quit smoking again. last time I managed about 5 months smoke free before I got laid off from work, which obviously broke me and I started up again. That was about a year and a half ago, and I have been smoking about 50g of rolling tobacco a week since then. Last cig was on Thursday evening, and I am trying cold turkey. Last time I tried to quit I used the lozenges, so this time I thought I would try nothing at all.

Holy crap, was I a miserable sod Thursday night and Friday. Working away from home with a group of people, the majority of whom smoke, is pretty tough. All through Friday I was getting hot flushes and had massive mood swings. Suprisingly I managed to not scream at a workmate (who is also one of my best friends) - all he was doing was laughing lots. Today though I have been feeling much better, being at home is helping, and I have bought a crap load of normal chewing gum which will be good for next week at work.

I also grabbed a copy of the Carr book. still need to start reading it though. Only one day left of the physical addiction and then its all down to my mind. Fingers crossed I wont cave. The cravings are pretty drat bad though. Anyone get that feeling like their lungs are burning theyre in such need of a fag? Its pretty horrible :(.

Don't quit until Shane quits.

pastorrich
Jun 7, 2008

Keep on truckin' like a novacane hurricane

TheMilkyNutBall posted:

I posted awhile back praising the Allen Caar book. I think I started smoking again after a few months of quitting, and then re-read the book and quit again. It's been about a year I think of me quitting and I have no cravings at all and absolutely no desire to smoke again. The only thing that makes me a little nervous is that I will smoke if I've had a moderate-severe amount of alcohol (2-3 times a month maybe?). I have literally no craving while sober, or even if I'm a little buzzed, but every now and then when I'm out and drinking a little more than usual I will light up one or two cigs (and then regret it the next morning). This is totally against the caar "There is no such thing as 1 cigarette"... but it's not really affecting me to bad other than a sore throat / regret the following morning. Is this bad? Does anyone else do this?

I find it's a very slippery slope. You start with one and then two a month later and then six months later you find yourself buying a pack. I don't think it's a good idea to only have one once in a while but you read the book, you know this.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011

TheMilkyNutBall posted:

And yet you're still smoking. You haven't quit. Re-read your post and see the deception. It's your mind playing tricks on you. Tobacco does that, it's very mischievous.

The 15 second buzz you get from a cig while drunk is not in any fashion more powerful than that terrible guilt, that mournful albatross every morning you wake up knowing you smoked last night. That regret is way stronger than the want to smoke. Remember that.

But seriously dude... you haven't quit smoking yet. How does that sound? How devastating is that to realize?

TheMilkyNutBall
Aug 18, 2008

Twat McTwatterson posted:

But seriously dude... you haven't quit smoking yet. How does that sound? How devastating is that to realize?

Yikes.

Yeah, it's bad news. I think it has more to do with the alcohol consumption than a cig addiction though, only because I do a lot of things I regret when I drink moderate-severe amounts of alcohol. I guess that's not much of a defense though... Replacing cig addiction with alcoholism...

Good to get some perspective on the matter. I will make more of a conscious effort to not smoke under these circumstances.

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Quitting finally. To force myself to, a buddy of mine and I made a bet. The terms are as follows:

If one of us smokes and we are honest about it, we owe $100 to the other person.

If one of us smokes and we lie and get caught, we owe $500 to the other person.

If we want to both smoke at the same time to avoid owing one another money, we just owe the third party that we invited in $100 a piece.

Last time we did this I went three and a half weeks longer than my buddy did and then went out and got hammered drunk and, well, dropped the ball on that one. This weekend I'm going home but my girlfriend won't come within 10 feet of me if I smell like a cigarette, so that's motivation to go memorial day weekend without a cigarette.

Jezikus
Oct 31, 2006

Walk Walk Walk
Been clean for 3 months, but backslid in the interim period between productions. I keep away from cigarettes during shows but once I'm out I can't fight the urge to grab a pack. I always tell myself, well I'm not doing anything so it won't effect my voice.

Bad Bad Bad

Throw shame upon me, I deserve it.

PaoFerro
Jun 24, 2010
I stopped a few weeks ago now. It was going pretty well, my first big step was deciding to not buy cigarettes at all. It was all going fantastic, although I'd had a cigar but it didn't make me want to have a cigarette at all.

This weekend, however, I stuffed up. I went to a party and felt a bit out of place, so I did the standard smoker technique and got some cigarettes and got chummy with the smokers of the party to make my time more enjoyable. I thought it'd be fine to just buy that one pack for that night and I was sure I wouldn't let it affect my goal to quit smoking. Famous last words, right? Anyway that friday night turned into a weekend with friends, and I smoked throughout the weekend and bought a packet again on Monday. I literally just smoked one and I'm pissed off with myself, but somehow I know I'm going to finish the pack rather than throwing it out. gently caress!

This is probably the third or fourth time I've done this same routine of quitting for a month or two and then starting again. The last few times I wasn't really serious about it and it didn't bother me that much when I started again. However, this time I really want to stop smoking, but the packet of Marlboro Lights on my back porch seems destined to be finished :(

Does anyone have any tips for this typical one-month mistake? Surely others have experienced similar setbacks and have some strategies for not allowing myself to start smoking all over again. I want this mistake I made to be a blip on the radar, rather than the catalyst for me taking up smoking again. I feel like I stopped for a while to build up confidence, which in-turn made me let my guard down.

jax
Jun 18, 2001

I love my brick.

PaoFerro posted:

Does anyone have any tips for this typical one-month mistake? ..... I stopped for a while to build up confidence, which in-turn made me let my guard down.

It's quite simple, are you ready? Don't smoke. That's it. Just don't loving do it. There will always be an excuse if you allow it. A funeral, a party, a bad hair day, driving a car, sitting down, standing up. Don't smoke.

e: it will get easier, a lot easier and you will eventually let your guard down (without smoking). It will take a while, though.

jax fucked around with this message at 21:48 on May 22, 2012

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
One thing I found was that the more you say NO to cigarettes, the easier it gets with time. It's like by practising saying nope, not gonna do it, you actually become better at doing it!

I can't remember the exact date of the last smoke I had, but it's been around six months now. Woop woop :)

PaoFerro
Jun 24, 2010
Just thought I'd contribute by saying I started reading the Allen Carr book and I'm finding it not only helpful but revolutionary in changing my thoughts about smoking. I'm always been of the opinion that revolutionary action first requires revolutionary thought, and this book (I'm halfway through) has so far provided that.

Cigarettes are starting to taste terrible and I'm actually becoming acutely aware of all of the terrible aspects of smoking. Not only that but I'm really enjoying the "fresh" feeling that grows with each longer gap between a cigarette. I think Carr's insistence that you continue to smoke while reading the book helps you make realisations about smoking that you couldn't make if you were going cold turkey. I'm not yet up to the part of the book that contains actual instructions (it's been many pages of simple information so far), but I'll report back when I've done the actual program.

Woohoo
Apr 1, 2008
I'm thinking about quitting again... 11-12 years, 2 packs a day for sure, sometimes more (my definition of "day" is around 20-28 hours).

Tried quitting several months ago, and before that, and before, but got to only like hour 4 which is laughable because how can I sleep 12 hours sometimes without smoke but be awake without one for only 4?

ALOT more motivated this time. Listening to Carr (audiobook this time), about 1/3 through, and I still don't find it all that good. He's like a car salesman on ecstasy but maybe it gets better later. Last trial failed because I liked smoking.

But by now, I find it quite gross actually. I tried to find clean shirt in the morning to wear at work and since I hadn't disabled my nose yet (because I didn't have first smoke yet), I discovered that all my shirts smell like wet ashtray. Not like smoke or smoking, but like wet ashtray. Which is awful smell even for smokers.

That's a bit much. If *I* can smell it, jesus. Why did I lean so close to the women I like and who don't smoke?

So, right now might be good time to go cold turkey; colleague with whom I usually take my smoke breaks is on vacation and other one tries to quit anyway (and failing at that because of me), why not support him by trying too.

No smoke breaks today anymore. Let's see how hosed up my situation is.

I also decided to buy trunkload of heavily salted sunflower seeds. They work wonder because you cannot taste smoke even if you tried smoking, and your tongue is all swollen up with salt and you have no physical cravings, sorta like being when very sick with cold - you don't want to smoke at all.

If anything at all have lowered my will to smoke, it's those seeds, because I can go hours chewing them and not thinking about smoking. And non-smoking time is all I need. More and more. I don't have willpower and patches give me only itch and bigger cravings, nothing more. So I think I'll try to keep myself just busy all the time.

Woohoo fucked around with this message at 11:29 on May 24, 2012

TrippleNipple
May 1, 2008
Does smoking e-cigs count? If so Ive been smoke free for around 10 days now, but I do have around 1-1.5 ml medium strengh E-liquid a day (thats a 10 ml bottle a week).
The plan is to quit vaping in a couple months or so. If this doesnt count then, gently caress.

panorama_change
May 23, 2008

Inertia is a property of matter.

TrippleNipple posted:

Does smoking e-cigs count? If so Ive been smoke free for around 10 days now, but I do have around 1-1.5 ml medium strengh E-liquid a day (thats a 10 ml bottle a week).
The plan is to quit vaping in a couple months or so. If this doesnt count then, gently caress.

I tried them for a little while, I found myself taking in more nicotine than when I was smoking tobacco. Eventually I went back to tobacco before quitting altogether. I have heard of people using ecigs to quit, but for me personally it was a bad idea. Plus my house smelled like a fog machine for weeks. I'm on day 450 of being tobacco free.

TrippleNipple
May 1, 2008

panorama_change posted:

I tried them for a little while, I found myself taking in more nicotine than when I was smoking tobacco. Eventually I went back to tobacco before quitting altogether. I have heard of people using ecigs to quit, but for me personally it was a bad idea. Plus my house smelled like a fog machine for weeks. I'm on day 450 of being tobacco free.

The first few days of going on e-cig was really hard, I had to fight the urge to light a real one especially in the first few hours of the morning. By day 3 I was OK and now I'm really content with not smoking actual cigarettes. However I'm worrying about the fact that I kicked an old addiction for a new one, and that I'll have a hard time stopping altogether.
On a lighter note I feel much better not smoking tobacco, my lungs are clearing up and I can move about much better, plus have more stamina when working out. coming from 15 years smoking its quite refreshing.

panorama_change
May 23, 2008

Inertia is a property of matter.

TrippleNipple posted:

The first few days of going on e-cig was really hard, I had to fight the urge to light a real one especially in the first few hours of the morning. By day 3 I was OK and now I'm really content with not smoking actual cigarettes. However I'm worrying about the fact that I kicked an old addiction for a new one, and that I'll have a hard time stopping altogether.
On a lighter note I feel much better not smoking tobacco, my lungs are clearing up and I can move about much better, plus have more stamina when working out. coming from 15 years smoking its quite refreshing.

If it works for you stick with it. It may have been because it's a ton less harsh than smoking, but I probably used ecigs three times as much as tobacco cigarettes. I smoked from 13 to 29, 16 years, peaking at almost two packs a day. By the time I quit I was down to a little over half a pack per day.

Stay strong goons, find what works and stick to it. I personally read this thread a few times per week, helps me remember there are others going through the same poo poo in one way or another.

BelgianWaffle
Aug 25, 2002
damn Belgian
Hi guys,

6 months without cigarettes, coming from half a pack a day habit. Granted, it took me 3 packs of chewing gum and one pack of nicotine patches to get me started (or to get stopped???)

I occasionaly think about cigarettes once in a while but not every day anymore. It's starting to get better now but I'm still susceptible.

Hopefully I'll make it to my 30st birthday...

The one reason which definitely helps me alot is my better skin. My face is not pale anymore and I feel my skin is thicker and more colorful. The area around my mouth looks young again. When I was smoking it tended to be wrinkly, not so anymore.

Although I also feel my lung capacity being much better and healthier it is my healthier skin which acts as the rational reason for me not to smoke.

BelgianWaffle fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 24, 2012

TrippleNipple
May 1, 2008
Ok so its like day 11 now with only e-cig. I've started coughing up dark phlegm, not as much as when I was smoking tobacco but its still something, is this normal? I guess its my lungs starting to clear up the tar deposits, how long more can I expect this to happen?

TrippleNipple fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 25, 2012

TrippleNipple
May 1, 2008
I'd also like to add that I saw a lecture on TED some time ago, the basic gist of which was, DO NOT announce your plans before setting off to do them, as it's been proven through research that doing so will in fact hinder your chances of success.

The basic idea I guess would be, don't come here and say woah I've decided to quit this is it for me wooo I feel so much better already I'm starting today/tomorrow/after the next pack. You should get off smoking for a couple days then come here and post something. Same goes with telling your friends/coworkers/family. Do some of it first, then go out and tell everyone.

I'll try find the link for the TED talk, no promises though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Day 11 cold turkey. Doing alright now.

• Locked thread