Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Y'know what I remember most about the birthday challenge? The rocketbelt theme. Because it was playing for so drat long.

I can't get it out of my head! :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaskedTai
May 30, 2011
Thanks for all the stationery McLaglen!

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

cronox2 posted:

Nah, they're too busy writing reviews of Celery with Peanut Butter on top. You know, gaming news.

:psyduck:

The first thing I checked was to see if this was some sort of April Fool's thing, and then I checked the replies with some small hope that the community would tell this guy to gently caress off. Still the same old cesspool, I see.

Random Stranger posted:

I don't know if I'd go that far. There's a few others I'd complain about...

Agreed, there's a lot of Pilotwings hate, and not enough love for the wonderful nuances that was early Mode7.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Random Stranger posted:

I don't know if I'd go that far. There's a few others I'd complain about...

I haven't watched all of the episodes, so there might be some worse ones, but Pilotwings is a marvelous piece of poo poo and the worst game they could have picked for huge challenge.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Mayor McCheese posted:

Agreed, there's a lot of Pilotwings hate, and not enough love for the wonderful nuances that was early Mode7.

Mode7 is cool, but that was the only thing the game had. It was just a tech demo.

Pilotwings 64, on the other hands, is pretty rad.

Shady3011
Oct 21, 2008

Mayor McCheese posted:

:psyduck:

The first thing I checked was to see if this was some sort of April Fool's thing, and then I checked the replies with some small hope that the community would tell this guy to gently caress off. Still the same old cesspool, I see.

Hey, man. Stop taking video games journalism so seriously. :frog:

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

Shady3011 posted:

Hey, man. Stop taking video games journalism so seriously. :frog:

Yeah, I'm not much of a fan of Kotaku. Honestly I never heard of the place before GCCX and that blog posted in the previous thread ( http://gamejournos.com/ ). I stopped frequenting these kind of sites since Old Man Maury and Lum the Mad, and Kotaku's humor has always read as monkeycheese / weird waifu stuff. I really do sound angry but it's more like looking at a train-wreck on a möbius strip and I can't help myself. :(

Forgive the derail.

Maxwell Adams posted:

Mode7 is cool, but that was the only thing the game had. It was just a tech demo.

Pilotwings 64, on the other hands, is pretty rad.

It's true, I attribute everything I like about the original Pilotwings is due to rose colored glasses. And the fact that it came out 20 years ago doesn't help, nor does it make me feel any younger.

Edit: Since you mentioned tech demo, I had this weird thought of Arino "playing" Mario Paint which is a strange amalgamation of tech demo & mini-games on its own right.

Mayor McCheese fucked around with this message at 07:15 on May 23, 2012

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
I'd never heard of this prior to seeing a random banner ad while in the YOSPOS cat thread. That was eight hours ago and I've been watching ever since. This show is fantastic and you guys who are doing the translations and fansubbing are awesome for bringing it to us.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Joshuadel posted:

I managed to get the stationary last time you friendly goons offered it, but unfortunately I left that 3DS on a plane. Where it wound up, I'll never know. I like to picture it running freely, untethered by my grubby hands.

My new friend code is 1461-7241-9442. I'd love to get that GCCX stationary again, and the Mario and DQM ones ain't too shabby either.

Back on topic: Thanks to everyone for the gamut of new episodes lately! I haven't even had time to get caught up on the last couple, but Sickle Weasel sounds delightful.

Did you try contacting the airline you took? It's a crapshoot but some airline companies have hundreds of ipads and gaming units waiting for people to claim them.

SmockJoc
Oct 4, 2004
If anyone wants some more 53 Stations of the Tokaido goodness, a TAS was just published. You know, in case you wanted to see the entire game quickly or sing along one more time.
http://tasvideos.org/2045M.html

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

SmockJoc posted:

If anyone wants some more 53 Stations of the Tokaido goodness, a TAS was just published. You know, in case you wanted to see the entire game quickly or sing along one more time.

I wish they showed him watching a TAS one day without informing him what it is so he'd just be amazed at someone destroying a game in minutes that took him half a day to beat.

e: haha, especially that one, which could almost be passed off as just a speed run if there were a couple mistakes in there. The TAS essentially tells you just to never quit moving forward and after that it just becomes timing and patterns. I could see a speedrun that's not that far off from the TAS time if someone worked at it since the TAS didn't really break the game via glitches or frame perfect tricks, it just ran it as optimally as it could.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 18:21 on May 23, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
I swear, every time Producer Kan e-mails me it's like Christmas in my inbox. (Can't give any details obviously; just sayin' there's more cool stuff ahead in the world of me and GCCX, which also you guys will get enjoyment from.)

SmockJoc posted:

Whoa whoa, how do they do that... throwing backwards thing? When an enemy approaches Kantaro from behind and nearly touches down on him, it almost looks like he tosses the firecracker backwards. I guess if you start tossing it (forward) at the right time, it'll explode into the enemy touching down on you from behind? I need to figure out this game.

Tendai posted:

I'd never heard of this prior to seeing a random banner ad while in the YOSPOS cat thread. That was eight hours ago and I've been watching ever since. This show is fantastic and you guys who are doing the translations and fansubbing are awesome for bringing it to us.

Glad to see that the banners are working! Welcome to the obsession.

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 19:12 on May 23, 2012

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

zari-gani posted:

Whoa whoa, how do they do that... throwing backwards thing? When an enemy approaches Kantaro from behind and nearly touches down on him, it almost looks like he tosses the firecracker backwards. I guess if you start tossing it (forward) at the right time, it'll explode into the enemy touching down on you from behind? I need to figure out this game.

If i had to guess he just turns around for exactly 1 frame and throws a firecracker. it happens so fast that you cant actually see him turn, but the effect is the same.

e: whoops should have seen exactly what you meant crotch bat is actually correct.

Spinning Robo fucked around with this message at 19:19 on May 23, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

zari-gani posted:

The bomb is deadly to enemies from the frame it appears on the screen and it probably starts out in the throwing motion a tiny bit behind where the hero's hitbox is, giving time for you to throw the bomb and have it hit an enemy from behind before he catches up and tags the hero.

e: yea, go to 1:10 of the Youtube and you'll see that the bomb starts out behind the hero's head meaning there's a few frames to toss it to have it hit a guy from behind.

e2: author's comments suggest the same. The generic black ninja is programmed to jump when a bomb is thrown so when he gets exactly 1 frame(and at running speed 1 pixel) away from the hero, the bomb is tossed which makes him jump up and into it before the bomb begins its arc forward. It also suggests that the ronin that Arino had to beat by placing a bomb down and getting them to walk over it can actually be beaten with pixel perfect tosses.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 19:29 on May 23, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Crotch Bat posted:

The bomb is deadly to enemies from the frame it appears on the screen and it probably starts out in the throwing motion a tiny bit behind where the hero's hitbox is, giving time for you to throw the bomb and have it hit an enemy from behind before he catches up and tags the hero.

e: yea, go to 1:10 of the Youtube and you'll see that the bomb starts out behind the hero's head meaning there's a few frames to toss it to have it hit a guy from behind.

Thanks, that is fantastic. Dealing with enemies coming up from behind often gets me killed. I'll have to try out this method the next time I play.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

zari-gani posted:

Thanks, that is fantastic. Dealing with enemies coming up from behind often gets me killed. I'll have to try out this method the next time I play.

That's a pretty frame perfect trick, it'll probably require some practice. Would probably be a pain to try and do on a cartridge since a screwup means death in that game. I'd probably emulate it and just save-state and practice making that throw there where it's easier to reset. Although it doesn't look entirely too bad since the enemies run at just a slightly faster pace than the hero making the timing a lot easier than if they were flying across the screen and going to pass you in a couple of seconds as opposed to it taking them quite awhile to catch up.

Curious to know how well that tactic(run past first, jump second and toss bomb) against knife throwers would work in game. I played a few stages awhile back and he was quite the pain, I wonder how easy it is to replicate that tactic.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 19:39 on May 23, 2012

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.
The TASer's notes mention that the knife thrower is a huge pain to deal with in a realtime run and is only easy in a TAS because he's not randomized at all, so I don't think "keep moving" is going to be as helpful against him as you might hope.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

There's a speedrun of 53 Stations on youtube that isn't tool-assisted, I think. Takes them about 20 minutes.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1Re1ceNbWY
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RwQGjf_NaA

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AHVSamD5WQ

TASers are nuts. This video shows one series of inputs that beats both Mega Man X AND Mega Man X2. And this is on the fairly tame end of the spectrum.

I once saw a TAS of Shining Force (the Genesis tactical-RPG classic) in about two and a half hours, by fiddling with the RNG enough to make every hit a double-critical. Crazycakes. Absolutely crazycakes.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

NBHS posted:

TASers are nuts. This video shows one series of inputs that beats both Mega Man X AND Mega Man X2. And this is on the fairly tame end of the spectrum.

That is the weirdest things I've seen in a while. You can pick out some scenes where they clearly sacrifice in one game to help the other... but that is wild.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

NBHS posted:

I'm fairly sure that the MMX 1, 2 & 3 simul-TAS tops that. Oh, and that's with 100% completion on all three games.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj67TKjDARI

The Megaman 3, 4, 5 & 6 one is pretty nuts, too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5pz6waED0w

Dominic White fucked around with this message at 21:03 on May 23, 2012

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

drat you, I came here to post those.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
At what point does it stop being an impressive display of skill and start being time for intervention? :stare:

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
Way before that.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

NBHS posted:

I once saw a TAS of Shining Force (the Genesis tactical-RPG classic) in about two and a half hours, by fiddling with the RNG enough to make every hit a double-critical. Crazycakes. Absolutely crazycakes.

If you wanna talk about messing-with-rpg-behind-the-scenes-TAS, then you have to mention this insane Dragon Warrior (which I will always call that series till the day I die) 18 min TAS, where they modify the luck generator in the background to give the luckiest playthrough ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecZCwVHJlG8

and also this TAS is amazing as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5tyMXXDPX4

Now, how about more great GCCX news? Isn't there going to be another episode released really soon? :)

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!

Bocc Kob posted:

At what point does it stop being an impressive display of skill and start being time for intervention? :stare:

No worries, I'm sure by now they've all moved to a nice supervised living facility in the countryside where they're limited to 6 hours of Minecraft a day.

Shingen
Jan 8, 2006

Useless people make for excellent target practice.

Vlaphor posted:

and also this TAS is amazing as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5tyMXXDPX4

This is the TAS I show to people who are all "Why would I want to watch something like THAT?"

Splash Damage
May 23, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I have a feeling Yoiko could be pretty funny. Has it ever been translated?

Novasol
Jul 27, 2006

Vlaphor posted:

If you wanna talk about messing-with-rpg-behind-the-scenes-TAS, then you have to mention this insane Dragon Warrior (which I will always call that series till the day I die) 18 min TAS, where they modify the luck generator in the background to give the luckiest playthrough ever.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecZCwVHJlG8

You can do much worse things to an RPG than just play with its RNG.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"
If we're talking about Mega Man TASes, there's always https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lnogpRPvY4 ,which more or less turns the entire game into a gibbering mess screaming for mercy thanks to some creative abuse of race conditions.

Reagle
Feb 16, 2011

Otter you waiting for?
This Super Mario Land 2 TAS is one of my favorites to show to people who are new to TASes.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I always loved This Chrono Trigger TAS, since it also doubles as a short film about the dangers of time travel.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

zari-gani posted:

I swear, every time Producer Kan e-mails me it's like Christmas in my inbox. (Can't give any details obviously; just sayin' there's more cool stuff ahead in the world of me and GCCX, which also you guys will get enjoyment from.)

I think he spilled the beans already!

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

That's great. But what does it mean?

makere
Jan 14, 2012

Snot Man posted:

That's great. But what does it mean?

Google translate says something about Nina giving the GCCX illustrations to him, I guess HQ digital copy of the USA pic and then some other unseen stuff?

Edit: Close enough.

makere fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 24, 2012

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

makere posted:

Google translate says something about Nina giving the GCCX illustrations to him, I guess HQ digital copy of the USA pic and then some other (un)seen drawings?
Nina's picture will be included with the DVD, along with a lot of other never-before-seen footage from the USA trip. They'll give more details in upcoming episodes.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

That makes sense then if that's the special stuff we get for the DVD and it's very fitting.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

...yes. My browser picked a bad time to choke on all those video embeds because I was going to post that immediately and now I look like MORE of a dick. Karma :(

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Translation: "Game Center CX in USA will be released on DVD! The illustration drawn by Nina will be used for the packaging. Chock full of footage that didn't make it into the broadcast... We will present them little by little in the show!"

There's actually one more surprise from me coming up. You'll never guess what it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

zari-gani posted:

Translation: "Game Center CX in USA will be released on DVD! The illustration drawn by Nina will be used for the packaging. Chock full of footage that didn't make it into the broadcast... We will present them little by little in the show!"

There's actually one more surprise from me coming up. You'll never guess what it is.

Theyre gonna officially distribute Ero Center SEX overseas?! YESSSSS