Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

ClubmanGT posted:

That's the point. Samsung does stupid poo poo, so expecting them to do something that makes sense is retarded.

I had a Galaxy Note, loved it, but needed some money so I returned it. I also had a Flyer, Iiked that too but the screen wasn't big enough to be a decent digital notebook. If the Note 10.1 is just a bigger clone of the Note phone with the flip cover I'll be buying it. I really want a tablet with an active pen. I'm thinking though I may have to wait until either Windows 8 or some kind of breakthrough in digitizer tech to make it a reality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Jethro posted:

Ever since the ICS release, some portion of TF101s get random reboots when sleeping and not charging. The last firmware update was supposed to fix it, but it didn't, so I'm trying not to get my hopes up with this one, if that's even what it was nominally for.
To be fair, this newest update seems to have finally fixed most (but not all) of my random rebooting problems. v:shobon:v

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Mighty Horse posted:

I have to send it back soon (work for a Verizon agent, have 6 months to return things), but I will just likely grab another.

Why do you have to send it back?

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!

nmfree posted:

To be fair, this newest update seems to have finally fixed most (but not all) of my random rebooting problems. v:shobon:v
My tablet's actually been up since I installed the update, so I guess my sarcasm was uncalled for, finally.

KrustyKlassic
Dec 27, 2005

I just bought this case for my TF300 and am pretty satisfied with it. All the ports and buttons are accessible and I like the feel of it. Only $13 too.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
I'm loving my TF101 ever since I did a factory reset on it - I guess I can't fault it for being a bit unstable after receiving 6 or so firmware upgrades without a reset. The stock ICS browser seems quite a bit faster than Chrome Beta, and way faster than the HC browser.

Overall, the ICS updates have finally brought Android tablets into the same ring as iPads. Finally.

I'm a little surprised that the TF101 can't handle 1080p 30fps videos straight from my GoPro, though, even with MX Player/Dice Player hardware acceleration. That would've been really nice!

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Count me in as another who no longer has random reboots with the latest update. Especially considering I bought the TF101 refurbished at $250, I'm very very happy with it.

Question about it though: I got an N64 emulator and the PS3 controller all working, buttons mapped, everything is great. Even bought a mini HDMI cable. Hook it up to the TV, fire up N64 emu, and it's really laggy. Is this something that can be helped with overclocking? If so, which kernel would be recommended for doing that? Would I need a kernel/ROM combo? Any suggestions?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
The biggest problem is that when you use the video output it puts mores strain on the GPU because it has to duplicate what you see on both screens. I have only found one app so far for video playback that disables the main screen playback when using video output.

VV Edit: VPlayer

SlayVus fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 21, 2012

yamdankee
Jan 23, 2005

~anderoid fragmentation~
Which app would that be?

Edit: Ah, thank you, but that seems to only be for media. Perhaps HDMIPlayer will do the trick. Edit2: Probably not. :sigh:

yamdankee fucked around with this message at 19:36 on May 21, 2012

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007

KrustyKlassic posted:

I just bought this case for my TF300 and am pretty satisfied with it. All the ports and buttons are accessible and I like the feel of it. Only $13 too.

Looks nice, my one concern is that it doesn't seem to play nice if you have the keyboard attached. I guess if you're just interested in carrying around the tablet that's alright, but it seems like it would be a pain in the rear end to have to constantly carry/remove the case to use it with the keyboard dock.

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 21:24 on May 21, 2012

AhhYes
Dec 1, 2004

* Click *
College Slice

KrustyKlassic posted:

Thanks for this. I don't have the keyboard, so this is perfect. I ordered one.

KrustyKlassic
Dec 27, 2005

a shameful boehner posted:

Looks nice, my one concern is that it doesn't seem to play nice if you have the keyboard attached. I guess if you're just interested in carrying around the tablet that's alright, but it seems like it would be a pain in the rear end to have to constantly carry remove the case to use it with the keyboard dock.

Oh, right. I should have mentioned that I don't have the dock and don't really plan on getting one since I already own a laptop. I'd imagine that any case that supports the dock is going to be more bulky though. If I owned the dock I'd probably just get a regular ol' laptop bag.

ex post facho
Oct 25, 2007
I'm sort of torn on whether or not I should get the dock. I also own a laptop, and it's alright, but is basically tethered to the cooling mat it's on due to (I think) some internal heatsink issues that I haven't been able to repair.

On the one hand, I'd enjoy the dock for the flexibility and extra battery life it provides, on the other, I've been fine just using the 300 as a browser/media consumption device without needing to worry about typing too much. I suppose I can wait a few months for the dock to drop in price or go on discount and buy one of the screen-only cases in the interim.

Does the Slimbook case you linked have a magnetic close cover?

ex post facho fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 21, 2012

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Seriously if you have any version of a transformer get a dock. I don't really use the keyboard a lot, but as I have a TF101, the two USB ports are great (even supports NTFS formated drives), the extra SD slot is not as useful as I thought it would be, but still handy as a SDXC card reader.

But the biggest advantage is the extra battery, and that when docked it will automatically transfer charge from the docks battery to the tablet, so even if you mostly only use it as a tablet, when you put it away you just dock it and it will recharge for you, even when its in your backpack/briefcase walking to your next meeting/class/etc.

The dock also means you can angle the screen for watching videos etc.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Also, the look on people's faces when you rip your Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich tablet in half is priceless. "Is that an iPad??" they ask, and I answer, "this, my darling is a device. A device many men and many women have died to see, to understand, and to own. In many ways it is like one of your toys, but a toy for adults. This, darling, is The Asus Transformer TF101 with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich."

GoodApollo
Jul 9, 2005

Can anyone recommend something similar to this: http://tinyurl.com/ch57jvr for a Xoom? Something light, doesn't cover the face, and uses the folding type stand.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

right arm posted:

Also, the look on people's faces when you rip your Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich tablet in half is priceless. "Is that an iPad??" they ask, and I answer, "this, my darling is a device. A device many men and many women have died to see, to understand, and to own. In many ways it is like one of your toys, but a toy for adults. This, darling, is The Asus Transformer TF101 with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich."

"So it's not an iPad?" :v:

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

right arm posted:

Priceless. I think I'm quoting that word for word in the near future.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Too many youngsters around here that never heard of The Zybourne Clock.

KrustyKlassic
Dec 27, 2005

Does the Slimbook case you linked have a magnetic close cover?

Yup. I wish they put magnets in more than two points though. It will droop if you hold it upside down, like this.

I noticed they increased the price to $15.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Radbot posted:

Priceless. I think I'm quoting that word for word in the near future.

Please do and report back to us about how you were laughed out of the party.

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

right arm posted:

Its more that they think you just ripped a laptop/netbook in half.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

right arm posted:

My friends didn't get past the lagging OS part...

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

golgo13sf posted:

Please do and report back to us about how you were laughed out of the party.

I don't bring my Asus Transformer TF101 with Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich to parties, it tends to distract people with the sheer power of its NVidia Tegra 2 GPU.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Wibbleman posted:

Its more that they think you just ripped a laptop/netbook in half.

then they stand up and clap and it turns into this MST3K style riff fest about the iPad.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Full of ignorant tribalism. Kinda sad.

Rastor posted:

Too many youngsters around here that never heard of The Zybourne Clock.

I think I may have just witnessed some sort of reverse meta-troll. That was breathtaking.

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

The troll Inspect Your Gadgets deserves, but not the one it needs right now.

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination
HTC won't be updating their tablets to ICS:

quote:

HTC tablets, including the HTC Flyer, HTC EVO View 4G, and HTC Jetstream, will remain on their current Android version (Honeycomb).

http://www.htc.com/www/help/android4faq/?cid=android4blog

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
The HTC jetstream just came out 7 months ago. Holy christ, it was $700 WITH a 2 year contract.

Don Lapre fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 22, 2012

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Yet another reason to never buy a tablet on contract.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

What advantage does the Jetstream have over a TF101? Why the hell would they price it so high?

SlayVus
Jul 10, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I don't why it's priced so high, but here are the tech specs of the HTC Jetstream.

Qualcomm AQP8060 1.5GHz Dual Core with MDM9200
32GB Storage
1GB RAM
10.1" 1280x800
Android 3.1
25 oz
7300 mAH Battery

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
It has lte.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Don Lapre posted:

It has lte.

So does an iPad "3" 32gb + LTE. The iPad is also faster and doesn't tie you to a contract, and it also manages to be $70 less. Oh, and it'll be updated, too. What an HTC fuckup, this is the kind of poo poo that turns people off Android for life.

There's still a giant billboard near my work advertising it, even!

On another note, I just discovered that I can turn off the incredibly janky looking "quick settings" bar that Asus installs on its Transformer ICS builds. Nice!

Radbot fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 23, 2012

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Saw my first Transformer Prime tablet in the wild. It's a really beautiful little tablet, isn't it? My Xoom looks like a giant, clunky piece of cast iron in comparison.

Probably the first non-Fire, non-Nook I have seen in a very tech-heavy (though also Apple-heavy) environment.

Kynetx
Jan 8, 2003

Radbot posted:

So does an iPad "3" 32gb + LTE. The iPad is also faster and doesn't tie you to a contract, and it also manages to be $70 less. Oh, and it'll be updated, too. What an HTC fuckup, this is the kind of poo poo that turns people off Android for life.

There's still a giant billboard near my work advertising it, even!

On another note, I just discovered that I can turn off the incredibly janky looking "quick settings" bar that Asus installs on its Transformer ICS builds. Nice!

I could come up with a conspiracy theory as to why, but Android tablets (in a monetary sense) are a complete ripoff in the context of subsidized wireless hardware. Handsets tend to be better since there are a lot more customers with Evo 3Ds than Flyers.

ASSTASTIC
Apr 27, 2003

Hey Gusy!

I purchased a 32gb TF300 a few days ago and have been actually quite pleased with it.

I've used iOS, WebOS, and lots of iterations of Android, and Ice Cream Sandwich/4.0 is now one of my favorites. Its absolutely slick on the Transformer, very accessible and fluid. Zero hiccups in performance, no crashes with anything I've thrown at it. Live wallpaper and widgets plastered don't slow it, everything is quite fluid.

The device itself is well built, and the dark navy blue ring spun back has a nice texture to it. I haven't noticed any case flex or backlight bleed. No worries about fingerprints on a metal back. Haven't missed a camera flash at all. Charged to full in about 3 hours.

It gets a little heavy to hold in landscape for a long time, but the portrait keyboard is excellent. Typing on it now.

As my first tablet, pretty happy with it so far. It's exactly what i want - perfect for couch browsing, portable enough to be taken to different rooms more easily than the laptop and has the option for a keyboard and mouse if typing needs to be done. GMail app is amazing, the browser is very quick. Happy to answer any questions.

Also looking for a case.

I just ordered one for my wife. I hope she likes it!

Also, does anyone know how much thicker the TF300 is with the keyboard attachment?

Lollybean
Feb 16, 2011

ASSTASTIC posted:

I just ordered one for my wife. I hope she likes it!

Also, does anyone know how much thicker the TF300 is with the keyboard attachment?

From the Asus site:

Dock only:
Dimensions: 263 x 180.8 x 8~10.4mm
Weight: 546g
Pad with dock:
Dimensions: 263 x 180.8 x 17~19.4mm
Weight: 1181g

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

AnimalChin posted:

Why do you have to send it back?

because I can't send it back if its over 6 months from when we got it.

As long as I keep swapping them out, I can always get the latest and greatest. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rastor
Jun 2, 2001

Apparently the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 was shown off in Europe yesterday.