Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shardok
Jan 12, 2009

Harlock posted:

This is double the price of the same DLC on 360.

That's terrible.

No... It's not. I bought that DLC for 160, which is $2...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Shardok posted:

No... It's not. I bought that DLC for 160, which is $2...
It's been listed on the Xbox website since it went up at 80 points.

Shardok
Jan 12, 2009
Well then. They're lying. As I bought it for 160 from the marketplace. The rift points and the DLC were both 80 though.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

So is there a way to turn off the letterboxing of the gameplay? It didn't bug me in the demo because it was such a small slice, but now that I am out in the world it is driving me mad.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Nope. And even if you could I doubt you'd want to. Judging by the performance issues the game still has it was probably completely unplayable at full resolution. :v:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Am I crazy or is the mini map confusing as hell?

Edit: Oh man you can change it to rotate. What on earth isn't that the default?!

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I want to get those DLC hairstyles and remake my character, but isn't that expensive? And where do I do it?

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

I want to get those DLC hairstyles and remake my character, but isn't that expensive? And where do I do it?

You do it at the barber in Gran Soren. To just change your hairstyle is 500G I think.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

iastudent posted:

You do it at the barber in Gran Soren. To just change your hairstyle is 500G I think.
Oh, cool.

And yeah, there is a lot of walking back and forth between known locations in this game, I can see how that could get boring.

KoB
May 1, 2009
UPS decided to not come by my work and just say that I moved apparently. even though my name, company name, and address are completely clear. Will amazon contact me or something if they dont deliver it? I imagine this will take forever because UPS are loving idiots.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Is there a picture or something for these new hairstyles? I am a sucker for customization.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
You can sell items in shops that are currently in your storage. Game of the year.

Also this game is horrible for my OCD item collecting. Been playing for an hour and haven't left Cassardis yet. It's awesome how much being able to climb stuff adds to exploration.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Harlock posted:

That's terrible.
But it's 80 points..? One dollar, not 2 bucks.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Evil Canadian posted:

Is there a picture or something for these new hairstyles? I am a sucker for customization.

I'd take some pics but I'm on the other side of the map doing a story quest right now.

Also protip: Miasma kinda rapes cyclopses.

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster

Evil Canadian posted:

So is there a way to turn off the letterboxing of the gameplay? It didn't bug me in the demo because it was such a small slice, but now that I am out in the world it is driving me mad.

RE4 had to do this to run on the Gamecube way back when. You get used to it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A few questions...Why is my health seem to be at the half way mark even if it appears to be full? Also, Do I do anything when I level up or is everything automatic? Finally, my bow occasionally fires powerful fire arrows but I can't tell what is triggering it. Am I building up a meter that leads to that or something?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

coyo7e posted:

But it's 80 points..? One dollar, not 2 bucks.

They already covered this after post you quoted: The Xbox website lists the price as 80 points ($1), but when you buy it on the 360, it's 160 ($2).

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

NESguerilla posted:

A few questions...Why is my health seem to be at the half way mark even if it appears to be full? Also, Do I do anything when I level up or is everything automatic? Finally, my bow occasionally fires powerful fire arrows but I can't tell what is triggering it. Am I building up a meter that leads to that or something?

As you take damage your max health drops until you restore it with rest or an item. Magic can only fill up the white area.

Buckwild Dorf
Apr 5, 2011

by XyloJW

Harlock posted:

That's terrible.

Is there a way to actually purchase it at that price without buying $5 in points?

Seems like a scam to get people to end up with an odd amount of points.

Pankratos
Dec 26, 2009

YOU DEFEATED

NESguerilla posted:

When you take damage, your total HP drops as well by a certain percentage. Just heal past your current total with items or rest and an inn.

EDIT: Beaten, apparently.

AzMiLion
Dec 29, 2010

Truck you say?

So far i am really enjoying the game although i am getting stuck left and right. any reccomendations for quests that i should undertake once I've reached grand soren? I took a quest to clear out a goblin infestation somewhere, but on my way there i keep getting destroyed by bandits. am i underlevelled/undergeared or am i just trying poo poo wich is way above where i should be going?(level 15 ranger)

Also, anyone found the later part of the cypher quest yet?(after you talk to the forger dude)

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

NESguerilla posted:

You level up automatically, but if you level up your vocation then you should go to an inn since you most likely unlocked a new skill. The fire arrows are coming from the mage in your party, who is casting a spell to imbue your weapons with fire.

KoB
May 1, 2009

skinny white boy posted:

Is there a way to actually purchase it at that price without buying $5 in points?

Seems like a scam to get people to end up with an odd amount of points.

Welcome to xbox live.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Thanks.

So far this game has been pretty much what I was expecting and I'm digging it. There are some glaring flaws but none of them really bother me aside from the lack of enemy lock on which is loving killing me. Hopefully I can used to it.

Also, much tougher than I was expecting which is nice.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

AzMiLion posted:

Also, anyone found the later part of the cypher quest yet?(after you talk to the forger dude)

I got done with this one earlier. IIRC, you need to speak to someone running around in Gran Soren who will point you to a landmark northwest of there. Try setting it as your main quest and look around near the marketplace for someone with a red question mark cloud.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So, for everyone who has this game, can you compare it to Dark Souls? There has been a lot of talk comparing the two and I want to know how much of it is accurate and how much didn't pan out. If I loved Dark Souls, what will I love/hate about this game?

I've already heard reviews saying the combat is challenging and rewarding, which is a good sign. Diablo 3 failed on that front for me and this is looking like my next best option.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Fallen through the world count: 2

You're lucky I like you game :mad:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Evil Canadian posted:

Fallen through the world count: 2

You're lucky I like you game :mad:

Are you playing on 360? Gyoru had that happen on his stream yesterday.

Wonder if any PS3 people are running into that issue (so far I haven't).

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

iastudent posted:

Are you playing on 360? Gyoru had that happen on his stream yesterday.

Yeah I am on 360.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I doubt it's the case but I'll laugh so hard if the 360 version suffers from higher probabilities of falling through the world.

"That's not screen tearing, that's the WORLD TEARING."

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Evil Canadian posted:

Afraid no hair pics but the armor included is the same as Mercedes'

Sindai posted:

That's pretty clever. I don't think I've seen any other game do that.
One of the ACE games on PS3 installs while you play the tutorial but that's the only other time I've seen it.

Mokinokaro fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 22, 2012

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004

Rotten Red Rod posted:

So, for everyone who has this game, can you compare it to Dark Souls? There has been a lot of talk comparing the two and I want to know how much of it is accurate and how much didn't pan out. If I loved Dark Souls, what will I love/hate about this game?

I've already heard reviews saying the combat is challenging and rewarding, which is a good sign. Diablo 3 failed on that front for me and this is looking like my next best option.

bumping this question as I'm curious about the answer as well. I've put well over 100 hours into dark souls (rare for me to put that much into a game), with the biggest draw being the excellent combat and the myriad different character themes/builds you can come up with. How well does dragon's dogma scratch that itch?

Also, is the difficulty curve in DD ala dark souls, where you learn the game a get better as a player to overcome enemies, or more like traditional jRPGs where you basically just have to grind for better stats before you can take on the big monsters?

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Pikey posted:

Also, is the difficulty curve in DD ala dark souls, where you learn the game a get better as a player to overcome enemies, or more like traditional jRPGs where you basically just have to grind for better stats before you can take on the big monsters?

A mix of both really. Most monsters simply involve using the right tools and tactics (and I mean that closer to a DS way than most JRPGs) but you need to level to get the proper tools to combat some enemies.

Basically, skill can win battles alone if you're really good but levelling makes them a bit easier though usually still a decent challenge. The easiest way to bring down an enemy is to know how to exploit its weakness. However, higher levels will also give you more tools to use in such exploitation.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Yeah, part of Dark Souls was getting the right tool and many required some investment of levels to get access to. I can get behind that to an extent, especially since it seems that leveling is not a grind judging by Gyoru's stream.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

I hope someone answers in the positive, as I just impulse-bought this for 360 because of Amazon's $10 gift card deal :P

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Where is the barber?

Also this is a game for people who like capes and cloaks and stuff to put on top of your armor, holy poo poo.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Samurai Sanders posted:

Where is the barber?

IS there a barber? The answer to this question will either mean having to remake my character or just playing until I find him.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

There is a barber in Gran Soren, but you'll have to look around for the stall. I believe it's on the south side of town.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

Where is the barber?

Southeast of the marketplace. There's a scissors sign above the door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawnfire
Aug 25, 2011

Bork Bork!

VDay posted:

Might be worth adding to the OP, here's a gamefaqs post that's serving as a makeshift guide right now while actual guides are being made. Has some really good info and links to other post about stuff like augments, class skills, pawn character, etc. Worth a look for anyone like me who likes to plan things out in an RPG, or if you're just curious what augments/classes the different vocations get.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/626515-dragons-dogma/62873069

Thanks for this, good to know what classes have the best stats and what the actual skills are per class. Thinking I'm going to start with strider now, since the stat gains for the first 10 lvls are incredibly balanced. Afterwards I'll probably bounce between mystic knight, magick archer, and sorcerer as I decide which class I like the best.

I also bought some of the dlc before the game's even arrived at my doorstep. I'm TOO excited for this game. I just hope it actually comes today and that I didn't miss the delivery when I went out earlier. :ohdear:

• Locked thread