Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Intel&Sebastian posted:

You're losing focus. Arya's storyline is shorter, which means less time needed to get to the Red Wedding. The only storyline that we should cheer being fleshed out is Robb, Robb getting naked, Robb being happy, Robb winning, generally anything that increases the viewers (re: girls) fandom of Robb and Robb related happenings and the impact of his poo poo getting wrecked. Everything else is icing on a lemoncake that should hurry up and get to the fireworks factory.

I particularly love all of the non-bookhavers saying, "Oh, good for Robb, he found love. Frey can gently caress off, Robb's his liege lord, besides, he wasn't betrothed to a particular woman, it's not like he's cheating or anything." Oh yes, I'm sure this won't have any consequences. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

It bums we out we have to wait 2 more years to see that though.

By then I bet a lot of them will have broken down and read the books. And then, they shall gaze into the abyss that is Gurm's gullet The Bad Thread.

Klungar
Feb 12, 2008

Klungo make bessst ever video game, 'Hero Klungo Sssavesss Teh World.'

IRQ posted:

It bums we out we have to wait 2 more years to see that though.

By then I bet a lot of them will have broken down and read the books. And then, they shall gaze into the abyss that is Gurm's gullet The Bad Thread.

Isn't it only 1 at this point? Surely that's where they would choose to end Season 3, don't you think?

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Ah poo poo I forgot they said they were splitting SOS into two seasons. I hope they come to their senses and make the RW the split or something.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

If the RW isn't the split then HBO be crazy.

I imagine right now all their logistics are devoted on how to recoup the massive amounts of potential customers they lose every week due to the lack of digital downloads without a preexisting cable subscription.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

mind the walrus posted:

If the RW isn't the split then HBO be crazy.

I imagine right now all their logistics are devoted on how to recoup the massive amounts of potential customers they lose every week due to the lack of digital downloads without a preexisting cable subscription.

Nah their solution to that is and will continue to be "buy a cable subscription."

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

The media companies love to talk about "lost sales" as though every single fuckwit who downloads their product would have been a guaranteed sale otherwise, while one of the few companies who is unquestionably losing a ton of potential sales if they sold GoT for like $3-5 an episode (making the equivalent if not more than the cost of a cable TV subscription) refuses to do jackshit about it other than say "no customers, you change."

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

HBO is kind of a different animal. They really, really do not care.

You ever notice how their DVD sets are also crazy expensive? They want subscriptions more than anything else.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

IRQ posted:

HBO is kind of a different animal. They really, really do not care.

You ever notice how their DVD sets are also crazy expensive? They want subscriptions more than anything else.

I'd give them $20 a month to be a subscriber and only have HBOgo, rather than paying for it through Comcast.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back

mind the walrus posted:

The media companies love to talk about "lost sales" as though every single fuckwit who downloads their product would have been a guaranteed sale otherwise, while one of the few companies who is unquestionably losing a ton of potential sales if they sold GoT for like $3-5 an episode (making the equivalent if not more than the cost of a cable TV subscription) refuses to do jackshit about it other than say "no customers, you change."

The other threads got into this, but basically HBO isn't a lone actor. Even ignoring all the other constraints, it's owned by Time Warner, which also owns a bunch of basic cable channels. Their money is derived from total number of cable subscribers, and HBO cutting out the middleman of cable would make the more important set of cable channels TW owns worth less.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Without the Bloody Mummers what will they do with Brienne and Jaime, and where will Dr. Qyburn the Reanimator come from? Volantis?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

bigmcgaffney posted:

Without the Bloody Mummers what will they do with Brienne and Jaime, and where will Dr. Qyburn the Reanimator come from? Volantis?
Until further notice, yes. That or it'll be Ros who takes over as Dr. Frankenstein.

Elotana
Dec 12, 2003

and i'm putting it all on the goddamn expense account

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Ah poo poo I forgot they said they were splitting SOS into two seasons. I hope they come to their senses and make the RW the split or something.
They've said that's where they'll split, although I think they'll probably make it Episode 9 since they seem to be following the HBO pattern of penultimate climax eps.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

whowhatwhere posted:

The other threads got into this, but basically HBO isn't a lone actor. Even ignoring all the other constraints, it's owned by Time Warner, which also owns a bunch of basic cable channels. Their money is derived from total number of cable subscribers, and HBO cutting out the middleman of cable would make the more important set of cable channels TW owns worth less.

I have heard that. It's a bloated and inefficient enterprise that probably makes a better profit margin than the direct digital alternatives, and likely even employs way more people than a direct digital alternative, but it's going to be viewed by media history as yet another example where the current cartel had to be killed or dragged by their nails and teeth into the next era.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
It's a very efficient enterprise. They deliver tons and tons and tons of programming for a very small amount of money per cable subscriber (due to ads, natch). HBO (although obviously it spends way more money as well) costs 1/3 (:asspull:) of the basic cable subscription to each subscriber.

Its possible doom is due to the rise of cheap broadband, but since broadband subscription rates are rather low in the USA that's not a worry for some time to come. Really, with the rise of mobile broadband there might not ever be a challenger to cable TV as a delivery mechanism for high-quality audiovisual entertainment.

whowhatwhere fucked around with this message at 01:13 on May 23, 2012

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I had to look this up to make sure I wasn't going crazy, but Podrick was actually in the last episode. And bonus, making an incredibly awkward, goony face. Yesss, Podrick, you adorable little gently caress-up.

Proposition Joe
Oct 8, 2010

He was a good man

empty sea posted:

I had to look this up to make sure I wasn't going crazy, but Podrick was actually in the last episode. And bonus, making an incredibly awkward, goony face. Yesss, Podrick, you adorable little gently caress-up.

He actually has been in two episodes, he was in one earlier as well although I don't think we were able to see his face.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

Yeah, I read he was. But we never saw his face. I found a gif and I can't stop laughing at his expression. It's like they're holding a gun on him off-camera.

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy

empty sea posted:

Yeah, I read he was. But we never saw his face. I found a gif and I can't stop laughing at his expression. It's like they're holding a gun on him off-camera.

You can't say you found a hilarious .gif and not share!

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Right, time to burn our gang tags, because we clearly don't deserve 'em anymore:

twistedmentat posted:

I wish I could find it, but years ago, I found on a board someone talking about a Bran/Meera ship, and that spiraled into someone suggesting that Bran warg into Hodor to have sex with her, but then someone said that would be too rapey [therefore] he should warg into Summer to have sex with Meera.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

That was probably us, because I know we've talked about all those things.

Also that poster is a little bit Hodor, so.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
^
That was totally us. At least, also was us.

Also the moment I remembered smug Cersei's whore-capturing assterstroke I knew it was Ros. Poor girl, at the center of every plot.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
I remember that, but I don't remember the specific inflection that it should be Summer because warging into Hodor would be too rapey.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

bigmcgaffney posted:

Also the moment I remembered smug Cersei's whore-capturing assterstroke I knew it was Ros. Poor girl, at the center of every plot.
I just realized that she might replace Penny in the show.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
so they'll cut off her legs and have her pretend to be a dwarf?

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

whowhatwhere posted:

I remember that, but I don't remember the specific inflection that it should be Summer because warging into Hodor would be too rapey.

It sounds like before rape become a meme with us.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

whowhatwhere posted:

so they'll cut off her legs and have her pretend to be a dwarf?
Pretty much, which will allow her to exposit on why Jaime losing his hand is so devastating to him.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

That sounds so terrible and "TV" and I love it.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

whowhatwhere posted:

Are you me? Because the phrase "too rapey" is exactly how I describe the GoT books and show to everyone.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

That's actually a very apt description. That and everyone dies (but don't worry, there are plenty of characters).

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

empty sea posted:

Are you me? Because the phrase "too rapey" is exactly how I describe the GoT books and show to everyone.

I once had a friend make a drink he could only describe as "rapey". I think I'll start calling it The GURM. It's like one part honey whiskey to one or two parts apple juice. Best served to girls under the drinking age :pedo:

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
My doctor told me I'm going to have to spend a whole lot of time in bed, so in a fit of boredom masochism, I decided to re-read the ASOIAF books. Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but when Old Nan tells Bran her "my sweet summer child" story about the Others, she mentions a man whom she calls only "the last hero" who went out in search of the Children of the Forest to get their help in stopping the Others. Has that guy been discussed as the possible identity of Coldhands? One of the main arguments against Coldhands being Benjen is that the Children of the Forest say that Coldhands died a long time ago, and it seems this guy died a long time ago, even by their standards. Also it seems very un-GURM-like to put that much detail into some backstory to never revist it.

Here's the passage for anyone who doesn't recall the story or have the book handy:

quote:

“Thousands and thousands of years ago, a winter fell that was cold and hard and endless beyond all memory of man. There came a night that lasted a generation, and kings shivered and died in their castles even as the swineherds in their hovels. Women smothered their children rather than see them starve, and cried, and felt their tears freeze on their cheeks.” Her voice and her needles fell silent, and she glanced up at Bran with pale, filmy eyes and asked, “So, child. This is the sort of story you like?”
“Well,” Bran said reluctantly, “yes, only…”
Old Nan nodded. “In that darkness, the Others came for the first time,” she said as her needles went click click click. “They were cold things, dead things, that hated iron and fire and the touch of the sun, and every creature with hot blood in its veins. They swept over holdfasts and cities and kingdoms, felled heroes and armies by the score, riding their pale dead horses and leading hosts of the slain. All the swords of men could not stay their advance, and even maidens and suckling babes found no pity in them. They hunted the maids through frozen forests, and fed their dead servants on the flesh of human children.”
Her voice had dropped very low, almost to a whisper, and Bran found himself leaning forward to listen.
“Now these were the days before the Andals came, and long before the women fled across the narrow sea from the cities of the Rhoyne, and the hundred kingdoms of those times were the kingdoms of the First Men, who had taken these lands from the children of the forest. Yet here and there in the fastness of the woods the children still lived in their wooden cities and hollow hills, and the faces in the trees kept watch. So as cold and death filled the earth, the last hero determined to seek out the children, in the hopes that their ancient magics could win back what the armies of men had lost. He set out into the dead lands with a sword, a horse, a dog, and a dozen companions. For years he searched, until he despaired of ever finding the children of the forest in their secret cities. One by one his friends died, and his horse, and finally even his dog, and his sword froze so hard the blade snapped when he tried to use it. And the Others smelled the hot blood in him, and came silent on his trail, stalking him with packs of pale white spiders big as hounds—”

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Greatbacon posted:

I once had a friend make a drink he could only describe as "rapey". I think I'll start calling it The GURM. It's like one part honey whiskey to one or two parts apple juice. Best served to girls under the drinking age :pedo:

Yeah, that's a girly version of a Stone Fence.

Men replace the apple juice with hard cider.

It's a great drink if you don't want to do anything with the rest of your day : I often have one at the end of a long day outside.

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson
I hope old nan is TWOW's prologue.

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012

Mnemosyne posted:

My doctor told me I'm going to have to spend a whole lot of time in bed, so in a fit of boredom masochism, I decided to re-read the ASOIAF books. Forgive me if this has already been discussed, but when Old Nan tells Bran her "my sweet summer child" story about the Others, she mentions a man whom she calls only "the last hero" who went out in search of the Children of the Forest to get their help in stopping the Others. Has that guy been discussed as the possible identity of Coldhands? One of the main arguments against Coldhands being Benjen is that the Children of the Forest say that Coldhands died a long time ago, and it seems this guy died a long time ago, even by their standards. Also it seems very un-GURM-like to put that much detail into some backstory to never revist it.

Here's the passage for anyone who doesn't recall the story or have the book handy:

:allears: Ahhh, ice spiders. We hardly knew ye. Seriously though... the books are filled with interesting ideas that GRRM pulled out of his rear end and then forgot about. He should have focused on the others/north/invasion and the books wouldn't have sucked nearly as bad. Instead we got Tyrion the Public Works Administrator, half-assed Vikings and loving Mereen. God I hate Dany's story line.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Dear HBO, since you're bad at writing tv shows:

S03E10:

Kill Robb. Kill Cat. Cut to Jojen scouting at the north bank when the fighting erupts outside, he runs back to Bran/Hodor and tells them to run away. Cut to the Hound and Arya on the south bank. Arya sees the fighting and tries to run towards it. Hound says something like "and you're gonna fight those men?" And she says "yes" shakes free, runs off, Hound rides her down and we see him swing his axe at her, it cuts to black as we hear the impact. Cue music and delicious tears.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

They should just go nuts and start season three with everything exactly the same but slap "neo-" on the front of every location and all Seven Kingdoms are space colonies.

Dany is too busy loving around on the Moon and the neo-Dothraki ride cybersteeds.

el_brio
Feb 17, 2012

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

They should just go nuts and start season three with everything exactly the same but slap "neo-" on the front of every location and all Seven Kingdoms are space colonies.

Dany is too busy loving around on the Moon and the neo-Dothraki ride cybersteeds.

The dragons will be slightly bigger, yet still completely uninteresting. Locked away in a space-dungeon while Dany pines for ~~~Starrio~~~ and eats astro-neeps.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

el_brio posted:

The dragons will be slightly bigger, yet still completely uninteresting. Locked away in a space-dungeon while Dany pines for ~~~Starrio~~~ and eats astro-neeps.

And then she'll poo poo everywhere and it'll be just like Space Station 13 except nothing will ever happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I can't wait to see Strong Belwas' poo poo move every so slowly across the asteroid belt outside of Neo-Meereen. An entire episode will be framed by following the poo poo making its journey thousands of miles from rock to wall interspersed with dozens of bare asses and mountains of exposition.