Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Idiot race posted:

ok so i just bought this, yes i bought the same car

jdm (yo) gen3 hardtop turbo on silly coilovers that are way too low, loud exhaust and a bunch of other stuff thats going to be removed/changed. So i'm going to break my old one and put all my nice suspension on because i hate these coilovers. Also yes I know the numberplate is in the wrong place im going to put it on the front when I get the bracket.

This is one of the nicer looking MR2's I've seen in a while. Love the black ones that have gold wheels too :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

DoLittle posted:

Just bought a ratty Alfa 75 Turbo to use as a track day and ice track car. It is cosmetically rough but rust free and has some nice new components. Unfortunately, much of what the previous owner has done to the car requires some attention before I dare to drive it.

Before:

Now:

This is amazing and I'm in love. :allears:

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I saw a gorgeous 164 today at Mr. Sub but your 75, even ratty, is much nicer looking. The fenders. Why did we not get these?

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Everybody's favorite urban legend, now airborne.
I've been going back and forth on posting this (wanted to wait until I could get better, outside DSLR pics) but here it is. My yesterday purchased 1993 Porsche RS America. Poor thing is still sitting w/o plates until I can find a decent policy, since my plan of insuring it under a historic/classic car rate has basically blown up in my face.

I looked at mostly stock examples for a while before I found this track weapon, I'm not crazy about the BBS wheels or ride height but all that means is I'll have to be extra careful cruising around the city.

few other interesting bits: corbeau buckets with 5-point harnesses, Safety Devices half cage, full bilstein suspension, all four factory options (AC, radio, sunroof, LSD) and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. I'm totally psyched to have this thing but I'm a little scared since it's my first Porsche.

Yeticopter fucked around with this message at 01:51 on May 23, 2012

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Yeticopter posted:

I've been going back and forth on posting this (wanted to wait until I could get better, outside DSLR pics) but here it is. My yesterday purchased 1993 Porsche RS America. Poor thing is still sitting w/o plates until I can find a decent policy, since my plan of insuring it under a historic/classic car rate has basically blown up in my face.

I looked at mostly stock examples for a while before I found this track weapon, I'm not crazy about the BBS wheels or ride height but all that means is I'll have to be extra careful cruising around the city.

few other interesting bits: corbeau buckets with 5-point harnesses, Safety Devices half cage, full bilstein suspension, all four factory options (AC, radio, sunroof, LSD) and probably some other stuff I'm forgetting. I'm totally psyched to have this thing but I'm a little scared since it's my first Porsche.

HOLY poo poo!!!! That looks loving awesome! The ride height, body color, wheels, everything about it is perfect. I love your car. Please share more photos.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeticopter posted:

but I'm a little scared since it's my first Porsche.

Awesome looking car.

DO. NOT. LIFT. DURING. HARD. THROTTLE.

That is all.

ynotony
Apr 14, 2003

Yea...this is pretty much the smartest thing I have ever done.
That is beautiful.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
That car is completely awesome.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Awh yeah you guys are stepping it up lately :D

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

GramCracker posted:

HOLY poo poo!!!! That looks loving awesome! The ride height, body color, wheels, everything about it is perfect. I love your car. Please share more photos.

Here's some others from earlier:

Motronic posted:

Awesome looking car.

DO. NOT. LIFT. DURING. HARD. THROTTLE.

That is all.

Believe me, I've had enough near-death experiences to keep my foot buried if the back swings wide. Still, I'll probably drive this thing like a grandma until I can get my bearings on an Auto-x or something similar.

Yeticopter fucked around with this message at 02:50 on May 23, 2012

KeanuReevesGhost
Apr 24, 2008

Yeticopter posted:

Here's some others from earlier:

Gorgeous

Insanely Sikh
Aug 26, 2009

Winner, SA's Sikh Of the Year, 2013
That car is a beaut, proper mint.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yeticopter posted:

Believe me, I've had enough near-death experiences to keep my foot buried if the back swings wide.

Yeah.....this is your first 911 :) You can be 100% planted in a straight line at WOT and have it swap ends if you lift off at speed. Completely sorted to "oh poo poo" in no time flat.

Sounds like you have the right attitude, so you'll learn to drive it just fine. When you have the opportunity in a safe part of track/runway/whatever start doing some light lifts from WOT at speed. You'll feel what I'm talking about...the rear just starts getting unsettled like they forgot to connect something to the back end that tells it the front end said to stop accelerating.

It appears you've bought yourself a fantastic example. I'm sure you're going to enjoy the hell out of it. Heartfelt and jealous congratulations.

got off on a technicality
Feb 7, 2007

oh dear

Wow, one of the nicest 964s that I've ever seen. That whale tail is perfection

Very, very jealous now

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

Motronic posted:

Yeah.....this is your first 911 :) You can be 100% planted in a straight line at WOT and have it swap ends if you lift off at speed. Completely sorted to "oh poo poo" in no time flat.

Sounds like you have the right attitude, so you'll learn to drive it just fine. When you have the opportunity in a safe part of track/runway/whatever start doing some light lifts from WOT at speed. You'll feel what I'm talking about...the rear just starts getting unsettled like they forgot to connect something to the back end that tells it the front end said to stop accelerating.

It appears you've bought yourself a fantastic example. I'm sure you're going to enjoy the hell out of it. Heartfelt and jealous congratulations.

Thanks, I'm sure the confidence and know-how will come with time, as of now, and especially when I test drove it I was nearly scared shitless, more from paranoia of scrapping a wheel or the front lip than actually losing it. A friend of mine has an '89 Targa that he's been kind enough to let me hoon around a bit, so I had a little time to get acquainted with the way these old air-cooled's lose traction, even if it's in 1st gear gunning it around a right turn. It's still way less forgiving than the kind of composure you get from 997's and Caymans though.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Sweet jesus that is a beautiful car. Congrats man.

Belldandy
Sep 11, 2001

Do not try to boost in peace, because that is impossible. Instead only try to realize the truth, there is no boost.

Yeticopter posted:

Oh my God I am incredibly jealous. That is an amazing car.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Don't like the wheels or the ride height (hey we agree!) but that is an incredible machine all around.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate
Congratulations! Your car owns.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Yeticopter -- does this mean you finally got that garage? This thing is way better than a kit car project :)

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Yeticopter posted:

Thanks, I'm sure the confidence and know-how will come with time, as of now, and especially when I test drove it I was nearly scared shitless, more from paranoia of scrapping a wheel or the front lip than actually losing it. A friend of mine has an '89 Targa that he's been kind enough to let me hoon around a bit, so I had a little time to get acquainted with the way these old air-cooled's lose traction, even if it's in 1st gear gunning it around a right turn. It's still way less forgiving than the kind of composure you get from 997's and Caymans though.

I would definitely raise it. The look of having it low isn't worth the paranoia of scraping it everywhere and eventually you'll just get tired of local places where you know it always scrapes and start not driving it as much, thereby having less fun in life. The wheels might not seem to fit the era but it's not so bad mixing the old with the new. At least it sets it apart from other classic Porsches that people have kept completely stock. What is it you were trying to do with insurance though? I know where I am you can get historic plates on cars 25 years old, but do the insurance companies have a price break at the same age?

AbbiTheDog
May 21, 2007

davebo posted:

but do the insurance companies have a price break at the same age?

My porsche isn't nearly as nice by any means, but it's also my cheapest to ensure by a longshot - think the insurance company just plans on scrapping the thing if I get into so much as a fender bender.

Yeticopter
Nov 19, 2004

davebo posted:

I would definitely raise it. The look of having it low isn't worth the paranoia of scraping it everywhere and eventually you'll just get tired of local places where you know it always scrapes and start not driving it as much, thereby having less fun in life. The wheels might not seem to fit the era but it's not so bad mixing the old with the new. At least it sets it apart from other classic Porsches that people have kept completely stock. What is it you were trying to do with insurance though? I know where I am you can get historic plates on cars 25 years old, but do the insurance companies have a price break at the same age?

It is pretty impractical for street driving, apparently the PO went for a Cup Car config when he was prepping it for track use hence the ride height being set for nice and smooth tarmac. And yeah, the wheels aren't era-appropriate but they are drat light, something like 16 lbs each, which again is pretty handy for track use.

kimbo305 posted:

Yeticopter -- does this mean you finally got that garage? This thing is way better than a kit car project :)

Unfortunately no, that deal fell through late last year, and yeah after looking into the FFR it just seemed like way more than I can currently handle. I may end up doing a E30 S52 project instead. This car is currently sitting in a garage that charges almost the same monthly rent as my aparment (in the first pic you can see a 997.2 turbo on a lift, sitting ontop another 997, and a 993 widebody background left). I'll probably end up putting it someplace relatively cheaper that's a subway stop or two away.

AbbiTheDog posted:

My porsche isn't nearly as nice by any means, but it's also my cheapest to ensure by a longshot - think the insurance company just plans on scrapping the thing if I get into so much as a fender bender.

I tried getting a quote through Hagerty, which can insure classic/historic cars for something like $100/year. I guess they didn't like the fact that I got 3 speeding tickets 4 years ago and since this is currently my only car they think I could use it for DD purposes which they obviously aren't big fans of. In fact the main reason I took this pictures earlier was to prove to them that a) it's a nice, clean car b) I won't park it on the street. They wouldn't even consider me otherwise.

Yeticopter fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 23, 2012

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators
I just bought this today:

Absolutely in love. This is by far the nicest car I've ever owned. Also the fastest, considering I've only driven sub 160hp 4cyl cars and a 210hp Explorer. I got almost every option except for adaptive cruise control. Heated/cooled seats, push button start, 12 speaker audio, nav etc etc. After trade and cash it ended up costing me $17k. Hopefully going to enjoy for years to come!

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 03:21 on May 25, 2012

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Is that the SHO? I drove a rental Taurus and was disappointed with how slow the V6 felt in it.

Paul Boz_
Dec 21, 2003

Sin City
Snagged a quick shot before I put my new lip on when I have a chance.

It's been in the mid 90's for about a month now so I have a great tan from the neck up.

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007
Edit: Disregard that, gently caress used car dealers. He decided he wanted $5000 after agreeing to $4500 yesterday.

Faerunner fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 25, 2012

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Bovril Delight posted:

Is that the SHO? I drove a rental Taurus and was disappointed with how slow the V6 felt in it.

I am a firm believer you should never judge a car on one you got as a rental. They are usually optioned with the worst engine/trans combo you can get, and usual beat on like, well, a rental.

I have heard rumblings too, that when cars are made to order for fleet service, are sometimes done on a the cheap, and sometimes corners are cut that would be done in the normal consumer bound cars.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
In my experience, at least for import OEMs, there aren't standardized builds for rental fleets. Those cars are pulled direct out of port inventory.

The V6 Taurus is extremely disappointing. It's a very heavy car. It's nice inside and rides very well in the American idiom, but I don't see why anyone would choose it over, say, the V6 300, if they were looking for a large American sedan.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Mighty Horse posted:

I am a firm believer you should never judge a car on one you got as a rental. They are usually optioned with the worst engine/trans combo you can get, and usual beat on like, well, a rental.

I have heard rumblings too, that when cars are made to order for fleet service, are sometimes done on a the cheap, and sometimes corners are cut that would be done in the normal consumer bound cars.

The V6 is standard for all the trim levels except the SHO which uses a twin turbo version if I'm not mistaken.

The Taurus had decent seats. It was otherwise a dreadful car and I should have picked up a Fusion instead.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Bovril Delight posted:

The V6 is standard for all the trim levels except the SHO which uses a twin turbo version if I'm not mistaken.

The Taurus had decent seats. It was otherwise a dreadful car and I should have picked up a Fusion instead.

I refuse to believe that a car with 365HP (the SHO) and AWD can really be all THAT bad.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

Mighty Horse posted:

Weirdly, Europe seems to be the other way around. Rental cars always seem to be mid to top spec with less than 10k on the clock, at least the ones I've got from enterprise. I guess it must be for resale values. I've noticed they seem to be switching away from diesels though, I presume this is because the extra premium to buy one does not make any sense when some other bugger has to put in the fuel. Hire vans are old, crapped out and base spec usually though.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I refuse to believe that a car with 365HP (the SHO) and AWD can really be all THAT bad.

Those are not SHO correct wheels, And I am guessing its not a SHO. I have driven a 2010 SHO before and after the Hennessy treatment and They are not bad cars. For me I thought the brakes were a bit weak, well for that big of a car.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

stump posted:

Weirdly, Europe seems to be the other way around. Rental cars always seem to be mid to top spec with less than 10k on the clock, at least the ones I've got from enterprise. I guess it must be for resale values. I've noticed they seem to be switching away from diesels though, I presume this is because the extra premium to buy one does not make any sense when some other bugger has to put in the fuel. Hire vans are old, crapped out and base spec usually though.

I think part of that low spec in Europe is much lower than low spec in the USA, at least as far as power-trains go. A basic Auris (Corolla) has a a 100hp 1.3l in the UK remember.

I don't know where in the Euro Golf range a 1.6TDI Bluemotion sits, but I can tell you its a freaking horrible car to get as a rental.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dissss posted:

I don't know where in the Euro Golf range a 1.6TDI Bluemotion sits, but I can tell you its a freaking horrible car to get as a rental.

It's the lowest-end diesel Golf you can get. Be glad it wasn't a 1.2 TSI, though.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

dissss posted:

I think part of that low spec in Europe is much lower than low spec in the USA, at least as far as power-trains go. A basic Auris (Corolla) has a a 100hp 1.3l in the UK remember.

That could be because of the stop/start, which is apparently sluggish on these, but I think it can be disabled.

It's not the worst Golf otherwise..
http://www.volkswagen.co.uk/#/new/golf-vi/which-model/engines/acceleration/

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

Bovril Delight posted:

Not a SHO, it's a Limited, but like I said, the only cars I've ever had have been 4cyl econoboxes or midsize cars. The most "powerful" car I've had before this was a 2005 Monte Carlo 3.4 with a whopping 175hp. So for me to have 270 feels fast. It's all relative to what you've driven before I guess.

My budget was ~$23000. I needed something with 4 doors (daughter on the way), decent acceleration, bluetooth (I'm on the phone for work a lot), and comfortable.

I tested out the Charger, Maxima, a Hyundai Genesis sedan, Chrysler 300 (with the older V6, not Pentastar), and an Avalon.

The Genesis and Avalon had the same problems, they were boring as hell and felt very elderly.

The 300 was nice but was super slow. The engine felt way underpowered. Plus the interior felt cheap.

I liked the Maxima a lot but the CVT was a dealbreaker. I hated that thing.

So it came down to the Charger and the Taurus. The Charger almost won, but I couldn't pass up the options in the Taurus. The Chargers I found were all former rental base models with the stock stereo.

The Taurus on the other hand has Sync, leather heated/cooled seats, Adaptive cruise control, nav, memory seats, keyless access/ignition, dual auto climate control, 12 speaker Sony stereo...I could go on but you get the picture. In the end the Taurus was just a much nicer car for the money than the Charger.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

bought for $600
replaced steering rack
drove for 40,000 trouble free miles
now I'm ready for a nicer car, but I can't bring myself to get rid of "lil Red"

bought for $600
wife drove for 6 months
blew headgasket
sits in my yard growing wasp nests and begging for a d-series swap

Leroy Diplowski fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 26, 2012

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

stump posted:

In Scandinavia, especially Denmark and Norway, it's two-fold. Tax speculation and resale value. If a car is a part of your production equipment, it gets a massive tax-reduction.

Once you've used the vehicle a while (150 or 200K km., I don't remember the exact number) you can resell it to a private party with a significantly reduced tax-payment. That really matters for countries where vehicle tax is close to 2 times the purchase price of said vehicle.

To use the above to your advantage, a lovely car that can't be expected to run at least 300K km. won't do. That's why the only rental cars are pretty nice high-end cars and almost all taxis are high-end Mercedes.

The switch from diesel is another tax issue.

A lot of taxi companies makes almost all their bottom line from resale of used vehicles and so does a lot of rental companies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blambert
Jul 2, 2007
you spin me right round baby right round.
After travelling north for 3 hours I was greeted by a wonky sign and a tent. Bless.

And a Sirocco R.

After having a Mk5 GTi, then a GTD - this is a very nice treat. I just need to stop running cars past warranty before the 3 year plans are up so I can get something other than a VW (not that it's a bad thing).

Sorry for the instagram

blambert fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 27, 2012