Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

Mio Bison posted:

These are my rules and they have served me well:

- Don't give people advice during a live match (unless you're trying to rile them up (mindgames))
- Don't give people unsolicited advice between games unless you know them well or there's definitely mutual respect and the advice is easy to integrate
- Do solicit advice with smart, directed questions about specific moves or strategies that are working against you (after every single game if possible, after the session if it's not)

Basically don't tell people stuff they don't want to hear but if you want to get better you should ask questions constantly. A lot of the time people who are better than you will keep their mouths shut not because they're hiding info but because they don't want to commit a social faux pas and you will level up ridiculously fast if you can show that you want to learn.

But when you do something loving stupid over and over again its too hard not to yell out, SHITS PLUS THREE STOP TRYING TO MASH OUT(in casuals only). I still talk too much when not in matches though.

General rules for how to ask questions.
1) Find someone who is doing good, bonus points if they play your character.
2) Don't wait for them to stop talking to ask questions.
3) If they get wayyy to detailed tell them, I know a guy that could probably go on a 2 hour lecture on the frame data/hitboxes of some of the characters he plays and how this effects a particular matchup, he has good info in their just don't let him get too bogged in the details.
4) Take everything they say with a grain of salt, but for now try out everything they are talking about and EXPERIMENT with it.

I want to rant about some of the more loving awful things I have been told wrong/been deceived about when asked people questions after a match, but I'm sure everyone has experienced it before.

ShinsoBEAM! fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Smegmatron posted:

Yep.

The newbies in our scene are pretty strong evidence of this. The guy who shows up every month and tells everyone about his great Hakan setups is still as free as the wind. The guys who pay attention and ask how to deal with the things that are beating them have gone leaps and bounds.

Also a required addendum to all FGC social rules: Please practice at least moderate to good personal hygiene. Impeccable personal hygiene is preferred. Don't be that guy.
Is it boasting about all his amazing setups, or is he saying "If you're having trouble getting out of this setup, I can never combo off this overhead so it's sometimes better to block low and take the damage" type stuff?

And yeah it's kinda depressing that we need to point out to people that it's just good etiquette to actually wash.

Goodpart
Jan 9, 2004

quarter circle forward punch
rip
I can attest that he pretty much talks endlessly about his sweet grappler setups and lands approximately none of them because at the end of the day, he'll empty jump and churn butter. I just nod and smile because it's easier than 50-0ing him.

I've found it quite odd that there's a legitimate set of social standards by which to operate when you're a part of the FGC. Then I realised the kinds of people I'm often around at said meets and it suddenly dawns on me: it's necessary. On one hand you can meet some genuinely good people, but on the other hand, you're exposed to everything your mother ever warned you about, and more.

And seriously, shower. If you follow no other commandment in the FGC Bible then follow this one. You could be the nicest guy in the world, but if you smell like SFxT plays, I'm keeping a very wide berth.

Goodpart fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 21, 2012

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.

Toilet.Duck posted:

Since we are the opposite end of the country to the 'blads' everyone is pretty chill, theres usually a steady run of about 5-6 alternating people though it may quiet down with it nearly being out of term time. Again check neoempire/fightclub and see what's up. If you can make the trip we usually run from 12 til ~5 if that's worthwhile enough.
There's also our little crowd in Manchester - the only hype we get is local abuse, i.e winding each other up in ways we know we don't really mean, and there's at least 5+ players every Saturday afternoon, without fail.*

The only problem is everyone is salty about literally every game, except maybe Marvel. Asking to play Super is going to get you some grief (despite the fact it's the one game we have HUGE events for, like 70+ turnouts) but it's never nasty, like some (read: some awful vocal minorities who really need to remember why we do this) of the London crowd can get.

* - Except, sadly, me. Because I never have the time. :smithicide:

Six Of Spades
Oct 24, 2010

"...That too is according to my calculations."

Shockeh posted:

There's also our little crowd in Manchester - the only hype we get is local abuse, i.e winding each other up in ways we know we don't really mean, and there's at least 5+ players every Saturday afternoon, without fail.*

The only problem is everyone is salty about literally every game, except maybe Marvel. Asking to play Super is going to get you some grief (despite the fact it's the one game we have HUGE events for, like 70+ turnouts) but it's never nasty, like some (read: some awful vocal minorities who really need to remember why we do this) of the London crowd can get.

* - Except, sadly, me. Because I never have the time. :smithicide:

The London scene has been brought up a few times (as being really bad); any horror stories, if you don't mind elaborating? Not gonna be in York forever; and after that, the London scene will be my closest. I've only been to that arcade on Tottenham Court Road once, maybe 4 years ago, and there were these really seedy guys there that scared the living daylights outta me. I just wanted to have a go at Blazblue :(

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7rj5-sP1xg

So Ancient Ogre, Angel, Kunimitsu and Michelle Chang are all going to be free DLC for Tag 2. That's pretty awesome, hopefully the few remaining characters wind up in a second batch.

brian
Sep 11, 2001
I obtained this title through beard tax.

Six Of Spades posted:

The London scene has been brought up a few times (as being really bad); any horror stories, if you don't mind elaborating? Not gonna be in York forever; and after that, the London scene will be my closest. I've only been to that arcade on Tottenham Court Road once, maybe 4 years ago, and there were these really seedy guys there that scared the living daylights outta me. I just wanted to have a go at Blazblue :(

For what it's worth everyone i've met has been very nice and the 3S crew have been great. That said I only have met 3S people and seeing as they already like the best game they're probably better people on average.

Fayk
Aug 2, 2006

Sorry, my brain doesn't work so good...

Cinroth posted:

I've been playing Jojos regularly lately at offline sessions and this one time a guy watched me and another guy playing and said the game looked like poo poo and that made me sad...

Time to become swedish jojo-sabator!!!!:sweden: #yareyaredaze #bloodycountryfucks #caesar

No jury would convict you of murder.

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Dresh posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x7rj5-sP1xg

So Ancient Ogre, Angel, Kunimitsu and Michelle Chang are all going to be free DLC for Tag 2. That's pretty awesome, hopefully the few remaining characters wind up in a second batch.

Tekken's stages are the goddamn loving best. Good poo poo Namco.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Dresh posted:

Really looking forward to the console release of TT2 and especially happy about the inclusion of Kunimitsu even though she was probably one of the lower tier characters. I played the poo poo out of her in Tag and since then she's been dropped like a bad habit from every Tekken roster.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
She was kind of a dumber version of Yoshi before but she looks pretty dope now.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!

Six Of Spades posted:

The London scene is pretty cool and has a cool group of people but there's some really noticable bias towards the "famous" players, like when a whole tournament was put on hold because ~ryan hart~ wasn't there yet. The other main issue with it is that there's a lot of loving seedy outsider assholes who sneak into the venues and steal a bunch of your poo poo. Never lend out your poo poo at a london event and if you're bringing a setup be prepared to sit on it the entire day.

EDIT: this isn't an issue with london scene specifically but more an issue with london itself being a place full of loving dicks who will rob you blind with no provocation given the chance

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Top player bias isn't endemic just to London or even just one country.

Hell, a few years ago we had a fairly large state tourney that was held up for over 2 hours because Justin Wong and Marn went to lunch and then the MALL right smack dab in the middle of brackets.
No, they weren't DQed either.

I also remember Final Round tournaments back in the days where 3rd Strike and MvC2 were the main event games where, at the very minimum, 90% of the DC converters provided by staff would be stolen every year until the BYOC rule was finally implemented.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Something that sounds amazing from this article, if this is old sorry.

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/344004/20120522/tekken-tag-tournament-2-release-date.htm

quote:

A new mode will be introduced in "Tekken Tag Tournament 2" known as Fight Lab, which allows players to customize the moves and appearance of new training character Combot.

"Players that clear the innovative Fight Lab will have mastered the complexities of Tekken and own their own customized Combot, which can be used in offline and non-ranked online play," said the release.

so this game has isuka robo-ky, jun and kunimitsu, literally every single tekken character with a unique movelist that's ever happened AND free dlc. goty

darealkooky fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 22, 2012

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

darealkooky posted:

so this game has isuka robo-ky, jun and kunimitsu, literally every single tekken character with a unique movelist that's ever happened AND free dlc. goty

So Namco basically included Combat but you can only customize him by doing tutorials and skill missions. I guess that's cool since I was one of the useless fucks who voted for Combat to be in Tekken X Street Fighter on their Facebook character poll.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Weird FG trivia question: How many games are there where you actually start a match with full meter?

The only two I can think of are SFA3 and Gundam Wing: Endless Duel.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Capcom finally announced its tournament series. http://shoryuken.com/2012/05/23/capcom-announces-street-fighter-25th-anniversary-tournament-dates-limited-edition-collectors-set/

The only games are going to be HDR, 3rd Stike, AE and SFxT. RIP Marvel scene, it's been nice knowing you...

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

The Rokstar posted:

Capcom finally announced its tournament series. http://shoryuken.com/2012/05/23/capcom-announces-street-fighter-25th-anniversary-tournament-dates-limited-edition-collectors-set/

The only games are going to be HDR, 3rd Stike, AE and SFxT. RIP Marvel scene, it's been nice knowing you...

More like "RIP the idea of an Off-Season after EVO". I'm sure the Marvel scene will be fine without some weird Capcom run tournament giving them a car or whatever.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

inthesto posted:

Weird FG trivia question: How many games are there where you actually start a match with full meter?

The only two I can think of are SFA3 and Gundam Wing: Endless Duel.

With super meter at full? Gundam Battle Assault 2.

Tons of games start with 2 kinds of meter and often the second one will start full.

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

The Rokstar posted:

Uhh A) why the heck would they have marvel tournaments at a celebration of Street Fighter's anniversary and B) why the heck would the marvel scene care about capcom's tournaments anyway

blumpkinbliss
Nov 19, 2007

Jaguar Post

AXE COP posted:

Uhh A) why the heck would they have marvel tournaments at a celebration of Street Fighter's anniversary and B) why the heck would the marvel scene care about capcom's tournaments anyway

A) Why do you use "heck" so much and B) are you a mormon or something?
(P.S. I agree with you)

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
What happens when Justin Wong wins the SFxT finals but then can't drive the fancy car?

brian
Sep 11, 2001

blumpkinbliss posted:

(P.S. I agree with you)

A) It's called being B)ritish drat why you gotta be racist

Trykt
Jul 30, 2000

Still training..
Swearing is such old hat, self censoring is the new way the cool kids kick it. Dickass.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

blumpkinbliss posted:

(P.S. I agree with you)

He's posting as the guy in his avatar, gosh darn it!

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Brett824 posted:

What happens when Justin Wong wins the SFxT finals but then can't drive the fancy car?

racial jokes.

He really can't drive or he just doesn't have a license?

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Justin Wong's inability to drive is actually fairly well documented.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRv99pd65xI

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Also

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo60-3zg74s

edit: He also got knocked out in the finals during Forza

moron izzard fucked around with this message at 18:42 on May 23, 2012

brian
Sep 11, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo60-3zg74s

AXE COP
Apr 16, 2010

i always feel like

somebody's watching me

blumpkinbliss posted:

(P.S. I agree with you)

I'm roleplaying as Mike Ross.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Or LI Joe. Don't think I've ever heard him curse.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

In fairness for that one, I believe the windows were all blacked out and he was essentially driving by camera. Still hilarious though, and he didn't even get last place somehow.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
What? No Street Fighter the Live Action Movie in the set????

At least they forget that Street Fighter Alpha Generations exists, and rightfully so.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe I'm just kneejerking because there were a bunch of "welp I guess I'm quitting Marvel after Evo now!" posts on Twitter. But ugh, let SFxT die already.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants

The Rokstar posted:

Was really hoping for an online version of CvS2

MrJacobs
Sep 15, 2008

Shiki Dan posted:

What? No Street Fighter the Live Action Movie in the set????

At least they forget that Street Fighter Alpha Generations exists, and rightfully so.

They forgot the ENTIRE alpha series. Just do Alpha 3 online edition at the very least.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

MrJacobs posted:

They forgot the ENTIRE alpha series. Just do Alpha 3 online edition at the very least.

Alpha 3 is loving garbage though? I'd rather have the Alpha series dead than have another Alpha 3 port. A2 is where it's at.

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.

PunkBoy posted:

Or LI Joe. Don't think I've ever heard him curse.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gbhXwEcSRiM
GET DAT FOKKIN INFINITE OUTTA HEAAAAAH :smug:

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
I don't see why they couldn't give us MvC2 since its already on PSN/360 Market with (pretty lovely) online play supported. Obviously everyone wants to see an Online Edition of Alpha 2: Gold as well.

I understand MvC2 not being there because its not an actual "street fighter" game. They still could have just tossed roms of Alpha Anthology and Anniversary Edition onto some discs and thrown those in as well (or download codes, since IIRC the PS1 versions of the Alphas are already on the PS download service).

Also don't be surprised if there is a 25th anniversary Fightstick. Probably a TE or a version of the VS stick with different art. On one hand I kind of liked the old anniversary sticks Straight Six layout and American parts. On the other hand, its a pretty lovely stick and they actually want people to buy them this time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Obviously everyone wants to see an Online Edition of Alpha 2: Gold as well.

No one wants to see this.

• Locked thread