Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
While I've not touched the SAN unit you've got there, you thought process is essentially what I would go through were I your place. It's clear MPIO isn't in place, and there may actually be a HP software package for this as well.

The physical redundancy sounds right as well, and again I don't know what the HP looks like but if you can make sure you don't have both bits of fiber going from the same PCI card (this is hypothetical I understand the HP is probably not a PCIe card and instead inbuilt) to the same Silkworm I mean Brocade then that would be perfect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

bull3964 posted:

Here's the situation.

We have an HP MSA2000fc serving as the storage for our database cluster. It was setup for us by an outside party. I don't have much knowledge on how to setup a fibre channel storage network since I've never gotten to screw around with it when it WASN'T hosting our database backend. However, we are going to be setting up a new database cluster soon and the outside party is no longer with us (for reasons I think will become apparent.) So, I'm getting the lay of the land and trying to get up to speed on what I need to know.

Some more background. We have two Brocade Silkworm 200e switches with 12 licensed ports each. Each server has two HBAs, the SAN has two controllers with two connections each, and we will eventually have 4 servers connected to this SAN.

What we asked for:

Redundant switching fabric.

What we got:

One switch not plugged in at all. A0 and B0 ports on the SAN connected to one switch. One HBA in each server plugged into the switch, the 2nd one not connected to anything.

I start digging into it a bit deeper. I fire up HBAnyware on the database server and take a look at the connections. A0 and B0 of the SAN are listed with both presenting drives. I go into server manager (2008 R2 machine) and take a look at the disks. I see all the disks that are being used online and mapped with a drive letter. But then I see them all listed again (only offline.) Hmm. I'm suspecting at this point if I went in an yanked the A0 connection, everything would go offline.

So that's when I started trying to learn about the proper setup and this is where I need guidance from what I figured out today. I'm just trying to see if I'm on the right path and to confirm just how hilariously they hosed up this setup:

First off, ports A1 and B1 should be connected to the other switch. 2nd HBA in each server should also be connected to the other switch. At that point, we'll have the physical redundancy down. Then, if I fired up HBAnywhere, I should see each set of drives 4 times under each HBA on the server (one for each of the connections the SAN has).

After I had that figured out, I started thinking about the duplicate disks showing up in server manager. That just didn't seem right to me so I dug deeper. I'm guessing the issue is that they never installed the Multipath I/O feature in Windows Server 2008 R2. Because of that, the server has no idea that it's seeing multiple paths to each of the disks rather than different disks.

So, does that sound about right?

1) Ensure all physical connections are in place
2) Setup multipath I/O so that all those extra connections are utilized properly

This would be the absolute first time I've ever touched configuration of a SAN, so I'm just double checking myself.

Yea, you're pretty much on the right path. HP should have a DSM for the MSA array that you install through the MPIO control panel. It's usually a good idea to install the vendor specific DSM instead of using the generic Microsoft one.

You'll want to ensure that each server has a connection to each switch, and that each of the two controllers in your SAN has a connection to each switch. You'll also need to log in to your FC switches and see if any zones have been defined, since if they have you will not see the new connections you add until they have been properly zoned.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Winning tender for our RFT came in at a little over half the price Netapp originally quoted us. (dual 2240, 10GBE, 13 10krpm drives, 24 3TB SATA, all licenses for under 55k).

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
I've been pretty annoyed at EMC lately, they've given their sales people access to a warchest and EMC are literally trying to buy customers from us, "selling" equipment for almost nothing.

Despite that, we've only lost one minor customer that had a change of the guard and the new IT manager is mates with a local EMC manager. :smug:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. It's nice knowing that you're going down the right path and even nicer to have your suspicions about how incompetently it was setup before confirmed.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

It worked for us. I'm not sure how EMC won over my boss and the storage guy, but we're moving from NetApp to EMC. We bought a couple of VNX5500's at what I hear is a ridiculous discount. I know management was getting annoyed at NetApp's ridiculous maintenance fees as well.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

I've heard that there is special budget inside EMC dedicated to "competitive situations". If sales guy is trying to unseat NetApp he/she can access this budget and get hardware costs super low. Did for us, anyways.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
Is Nimble able to scale out with multiple arrays, or would each array be managed separately? It sounds like they have plans for expansion shelves, have those come out yet?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

complex posted:

I've heard that there is special budget inside EMC dedicated to "competitive situations". If sales guy is trying to unseat NetApp he/she can access this budget and get hardware costs super low. Did for us, anyways.

EMC isn't much of a technical organization, but they are very good at sales and have enough money coming in from some of their smart purchases (VMware being a big one, but also Data Domain) that they can treat a lot of their storage gear as a loss leader.

They've also bought such a dizzying array of products that they have a solution for every use case. It may not be a good solution, but the important thing is that they rarely have to tell a customer "we can't do that".

It sucks competing against them because I've never once met a happy EMC customer in all of my years in IT, but they have so much money and so many products and a willingness to lie with abandon that they are very hard to beat.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
It's a double edged sword NippleFloss, I'll often (and I don't use that word lightly) run into situations where a client has bought into the crazy discounted EMC bullshit parade and within a year they are practically knocking down our doors to get us back in there.

Also, complex, that's what the warchest I mentioned already is. It's a PITA. I've seen them quote hardware for practically free (ie sub $10k).

NetApp need to step up their game in this area. They have the right idea with their challenges but theres just not enough of them nor are the shouted about loudly enough.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

marketingman posted:

It's a double edged sword NippleFloss, I'll often (and I don't use that word lightly) run into situations where a client has bought into the crazy discounted EMC bullshit parade and within a year they are practically knocking down our doors to get us back in there.

Also, complex, that's what the warchest I mentioned already is. It's a PITA. I've seen them quote hardware for practically free (ie sub $10k).

NetApp need to step up their game in this area. They have the right idea with their challenges but theres just not enough of them nor are the shouted about loudly enough.

We are in this position right now. We went from Equallogic to 2 EMC VNX 5300s and we absolutely hate them. Their products are crap and their support is crap. My boss is the very definition of passive and checked out, and even he is screaming to get them ripped out and returned.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

HAHA I just had a meeting with my team lead/storage guy and we're still in the migration process from the NetApp to EMC boxes. He used a lot of sayings that started with "EMC says....It should do this... It's supposed to work this way" and I immediately thought back to these posts.

We might be in trouble...

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Every time I see these EMC posts I'm so glad they didn't put up too much of an effort in our RFT.

E: how hilarious would it be to just turn around, resell the hardware you just got for peanuts and get something else.

evil_bunnY fucked around with this message at 19:32 on May 11, 2012

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

Every time I see these EMC posts I'm so glad they didn't put up too much of an effort in our RFT.

E: how hilarious would it be to just turn around, resell the hardware you just got for peanuts and get something else.

We actually may, or see if someone is interested in buying it out. Depends on how the support contact works I guess. Either way, we won't be considering EMC in the future. I'm sure the hardware is great if you have a dedicated storage admin or team with a lot of EMC experience, but they are selling the VNX as a small and medium business solution and it's just not. It's a Frankenstein of their Celerra and Clariion lines, and no one seems to know how they work.

complex
Sep 16, 2003

wyoak posted:

Is Nimble able to scale out with multiple arrays, or would each array be managed separately? It sounds like they have plans for expansion shelves, have those come out yet?

Not today. In the past they have mentioned the possibility: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/11/22/nimble_scale_out/

I have it from an authoritative source that Nimble is definitively working on scale out arrays. Expect them soon.

Syano
Jul 13, 2005
I am sorry this is a tiny bit off subject and probably better suited to the backup thread but I think it will get better eyes here. 99% of my environment is backed up using Veeam, which we arent entirely happy with but thats a different story. What I am asking about is my file server cluster. I have a 2 node windows cluster serving files. The 2 nodes are both VMs and the cluster resource is a lun sitting out on the SAN. Veeam backs up the cluster nodes but of course does not back up the cluster resource lun. I am trying to come up with some ideas for the best way to do backups of the cluster resource. Any suggestions from anyone doing anything similar?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Syano posted:

I am sorry this is a tiny bit off subject and probably better suited to the backup thread but I think it will get better eyes here. 99% of my environment is backed up using Veeam, which we arent entirely happy with but thats a different story. What I am asking about is my file server cluster. I have a 2 node windows cluster serving files. The 2 nodes are both VMs and the cluster resource is a lun sitting out on the SAN. Veeam backs up the cluster nodes but of course does not back up the cluster resource lun. I am trying to come up with some ideas for the best way to do backups of the cluster resource. Any suggestions from anyone doing anything similar?
What are you doing with your Veeam backup repository?

Syano
Jul 13, 2005

Misogynist posted:

What are you doing with your Veeam backup repository?

The Veeam backup repository is direct attached storage on the backup server proper.

ihafarm
Aug 12, 2004
Just to provide some balance to the thread I want to state that I am a very happy EMC customer. I've been satisfied with their support, you just have to get past the initial over-seas guys - I demand to speak with someone in my time zone and lean on my rep if there is any push-back(god I hate that phrase). I'll take those 5300's off your hands!

Currently I'm running a 3 yr old Celerra, 2 DataDomains(one pre-EMC, one post), and of course lots of VMware, again pre- and post- EMC ownership.

Internet Explorer posted:

We are in this position right now. We went from Equallogic to 2 EMC VNX 5300s and we absolutely hate them. Their products are crap and their support is crap. My boss is the very definition of passive and checked out, and even he is screaming to get them ripped out and returned.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
since everyone's talking emc, anyone have any experience moving from clariion to VNX? Management looks a little better (but not compellent-type nice), reporting still looks really lovely, any stories on better or worse reliability? We've got a CX340 and a CX310 and both have been pretty solid reliability-wise, except a FLARE update that broke powerpath for like 12 hours on a couple servers. Are updates still an all night type ordeal with techs onsite and stuff?

wyoak fucked around with this message at 18:20 on May 15, 2012

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

marketingman posted:

So who was complaining about the 255 snapshot limit on DataONTAP :smug:

That was me, and it's still biting me. We're snapping 12 old filers to 6 new ones, and we have some volumes that are taking forever. Even if you fix it in 8.1 or later it's not going to matter to me, because we won't even upgrade to 8.1 for another year at least. It's best to stick with the proven stable versions on ONTAP.

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
I've seen a job advertisement for a NetApp Storage Solutions Architect for a company called "TRACE 3", does anyone here have any experience dealing with them? Are they well known?

I'm asking because I'm an Australian and considering what I've been reading in the job threads about the USA effectively having a dire shortage of IT people I was thinking I might give it a go and apply. But being an Aussie I can't really get a feel for this company like people on the ground in the USA can.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Nomex posted:

That was me, and it's still biting me. We're snapping 12 old filers to 6 new ones, and we have some volumes that are taking forever. Even if you fix it in 8.1 or later it's not going to matter to me, because we won't even upgrade to 8.1 for another year at least. It's best to stick with the proven stable versions on ONTAP.

The stability differences between major versions of OnTAP aren't, well, major. Because the code base is still fairly similar if a bug pops up and is fixed in the 8.0 code tree then it will also be fixed in the 8.1 code tree. So with 8.1 you're getting the benefit of most of the fixes that were included in 8.0.2.

They also cleaned up some code and pared down the code base (no more java, for instance) so 8.1 is actually a more stable baseline than early 8.0 releases are.

My recommendation with any new version of DOT, is to wait until it has a few patch releases. By then it's generally pretty stable. That goes for major and minor version. 8.1 should have it's first patch release sometime in early June and likely at least one patch release monthly after that. By August you should have a very stable version with the patched releases.

Anecdotally, I've heard pretty good things about 8.1 stability even in the RC code, and the group I'm a part of has something like 300 controllers running 8.1 variants.

Marketingman -

I don't have any direct experience with Trace3, but they're a NetApp star partner and a couple of their customers are used as references for FlexPod. Sounds like a good company, from what little I know.

YOLOsubmarine fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 16, 2012

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

Hay guys what's going on in th

marketingman posted:

I've seen a job advertisement for a NetApp Storage Solutions Architect for a company called "TRACE 3", does anyone here have any experience dealing with them? Are they well known?

I'm asking because I'm an Australian and considering what I've been reading in the job threads about the USA effectively having a dire shortage of IT people I was thinking I might give it a go and apply. But being an Aussie I can't really get a feel for this company like people on the ground in the USA can.

Not heard of them but then again i'm UK/Aussie based also.

Why the US? I know this is a broad statement but I worked there for a year myself and honestly feel Australia is a better place...but I guess it depends on your needs.

Vanilla fucked around with this message at 09:32 on May 16, 2012

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

marketingman posted:

Are you in the San Diego area? I know a few of the sales guys over at Trace-3. Some used to work at EMC or NetApp. They're just an area VAR, like many others. They have some really sharp system architects, too. I bet it would be a fun group to work with.

Edit: Duh I thought they were only local to San Diego. I just checked their site and it looks like they have offices in Southern California, the Bay Area, Denver and Phoenix. They're bigger than I thought.

Slappy Pappy fucked around with this message at 04:57 on May 17, 2012

Muslim Wookie
Jul 6, 2005
Spamtron, I'm in Australia! Pretty far...

Vanilla, sometimes a change is as good as a holiday, and I'm super tired of Australia. I've long wanted to live in NY, and for a long time just the idea of cost stopped me from even looking into it. Now that I see the cost of living for me here, see the lists comparing cost of living around the world... well I'm pretty annoyed:

"Perth and Brisbane, which are almost 25 per cent more expensive than New York, are ranked 13th and 14th."

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

marketingman posted:

Spamtron, I'm in Australia! Pretty far...

Vanilla, sometimes a change is as good as a holiday, and I'm super tired of Australia. I've long wanted to live in NY, and for a long time just the idea of cost stopped me from even looking into it. Now that I see the cost of living for me here, see the lists comparing cost of living around the world... well I'm pretty annoyed:

"Perth and Brisbane, which are almost 25 per cent more expensive than New York, are ranked 13th and 14th."

That's true, exactly the reason why I went from the UK to Australia.

I would call working in NY to be 'hardcore' US working if that makes sense. No BS, sell sell sell, 10 days annual leave, etc :)

I have an ex-colleague who is now the a District manager for Netapp in NY. Not spoken to him in many years but happy to put you both in touch on linkedin so you can ask exactly which partners are decent and which to avoid. He may also know who is hiring - let me know if you want me to put you in contact.

Nomex
Jul 17, 2002

Flame retarded.

NippleFloss posted:

The stability differences between major versions of OnTAP aren't, well, major. Because the code base is still fairly similar if a bug pops up and is fixed in the 8.0 code tree then it will also be fixed in the 8.1 code tree. So with 8.1 you're getting the benefit of most of the fixes that were included in 8.0.2.

They also cleaned up some code and pared down the code base (no more java, for instance) so 8.1 is actually a more stable baseline than early 8.0 releases are.

My recommendation with any new version of DOT, is to wait until it has a few patch releases. By then it's generally pretty stable. That goes for major and minor version. 8.1 should have it's first patch release sometime in early June and likely at least one patch release monthly after that. By August you should have a very stable version with the patched releases.

Anecdotally, I've heard pretty good things about 8.1 stability even in the RC code, and the group I'm a part of has something like 300 controllers running 8.1 variants.

Marketingman -

I don't have any direct experience with Trace3, but they're a NetApp star partner and a couple of their customers are used as references for FlexPod. Sounds like a good company, from what little I know.

At this time there's really no benefit to us to upgrade. We have all our filers on stable releases, and there's no new features in 8.1 that we really need aside from the snapshots, and we really only need those now during migrations. Stability is important above all else, so why rock the boat?

nuckingfuts
Apr 21, 2003

marketingman posted:

I know a former coworker that currently works for Trace3 and we're currently talking with them about a few solutions. It sounds like they've been pretty aggressive in their hiring the past year or so, and they work with some big clients in the West / Southwest US. I think they also have clients across the world, or at least some of their techs travel to remote client sites.

They seem to have a lot of smart people working for them, and they are definitely one of the more fun VARs I've dealt with. If you end up with them I hope you like happy hours :)

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

Nomex posted:

At this time there's really no benefit to us to upgrade. We have all our filers on stable releases, and there's no new features in 8.1 that we really need aside from the snapshots, and we really only need those now during migrations. Stability is important above all else, so why rock the boat?
If you don't see a good reason to upgrade then, by all means, don't. I wasn't trying to convince you, merely pointing out that a newer version is not, by definition, a less stable version.

8.1 is more stable than 8.0.1 using the metric of severity 1 and 2 bugs that exist in the release. On the other hand it is less stable than 8.0.2P7.

szlevi
Sep 10, 2010

[[ POKE 65535,0 ]]
http://virtualgeek.typepad.com/virtual_geek/2012/05/isilon-x400-and-mavericks.html

Has anyone seen this Mavericks yet? I don't mean NDA-capped details - though I'd welcome them too :D - but in general, how is it different?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

We're looking at a new SAN to consolidate some aging infra on VMWare and provide some bulk storage. Right now we're looking at a EMC VNXe 3300 with 15 x 600GB 15K and 6 or 8 x 2TB drives for NFS/CIFS storage. What else should we be looking at in that price range? The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is the P4000/LeftHand stuff, but I would lose out on the Network Raid crap unless I doubled the price. My HP reseller mentioned a small EVA, but I'm not sure how well that would be received.

EMC is the incumbent as the storage guy likes their stuff, so I need something in that price range.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug
Alright my current work is using Openfiler virtual nas devices for Shared storage, this is working thus far but I would really rather get a SAN going just need to bump heads with some of you all. I posted in the VMware thread but have gotten some updated numbers and feel this thread a touch more appropriate.

Here is the Equipment I want to buy, all are NX3100 Powervaults, OS drive RAID 1 15K SAS 146GB, Dual PSU's, Dual 10G/Ethernet, 2x1GB backend connectors, Write Cache is 512MB on all, Quad cores + 6GB ram on each.
NAS A - 10 600Gb 15k drives RAID 5 + 1 HS
High end disk I/O intensive storage, SQL, web facing servers, priority VDI, Small NFS share
NAS B - 10 1TB 7.2k SAS drives RAID 5
Backend servers, Domain controllers, non priority VDI, other VM's, other NFS servers
NAS C - 10 2TB 7.2k SAS drives RAID 5 + HS 1 per array
Backup server
10TB will be provisioned for GFS/DRBD on an ACTIVE/ACTIVE with NAS B
10TB deduped and store backups of critical information, after X days file sent to Crash Plan

These will run Centos 6.2, primarily iscsi w/ jumbo frames set at 9000. I might however plan to run the data stores over FCoE since it seems the x520-T2 supports it, cutting latency out, and TCP overhead. B and C will do Active/Active storage, then iSCSI to the esxi boxes, A will use C as a backup device

All this will hook up to 5 Esxi servers running VDI's and other drives, and 3 Servers running Esxi 4.1, 50+ vm's mostly windows clients and Servers. I know in about 6 months we want to expand our VMware working with clients, hosting solutions, demonstrations for clients, and other things so I find it better to get the ball rolling.

I would love to go with EMC or netapp, but I can get this up and running for around 30k. Open for other ways to go about this, I might just do 2 600GB 15K drives ~12TB w/ Active/active, then backup to a NAS C with 20TB, but I like the idea of tiering my storage.

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 17:57 on May 23, 2012

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Corvettefisher posted:

I would love to go with EMC or netapp, but I can get this up and running for around 30k. Open for other ways to go about this, I might just do 2 600GB 15K drives ~12TB w/ Active/active, then backup to a NAS C with 20TB, but I like the idea of tiering my storage.

I don't have any comments on your design but I'm in a similar position of needing a real SAN. I'm curious what led you to the Powervaults over something like Equallogic. Is it just price?

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Corvettefisher posted:

Alright my current work is using Openfiler virtual nas devices for Shared storage, this is working thus far but I would really rather get a SAN going just need to bump heads with some of you all. I posted in the VMware thread but have gotten some updated numbers and feel this thread a touch more appropriate.

Here is the Equipment I want to buy, all are NX3100 Powervaults, OS drive RAID 1 15K SAS 146GB, Dual PSU's, Dual 10G/Ethernet, 2x1GB backend connectors, Write Cache is 512MB on all, Quad cores + 6GB ram on each.

Why use NAS at all, why not just get some MD3xxxi's and just present iSCSI and use VMFS to your hosts? Or buy some EQL if you get a bigger budget.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

CF, I can't give exact numbers but our pricing on a VNXe box from EMC with close to your data capacity isn't far off that 30K mark.

I would also recommend exploring Raid 6 instead of 5. I've heard (probably from this thread) that rebuilding a Raid 5 array with those large disks can take days, and the odds of coming across a bad sector that fucks the rebuild is increased.

Dilbert As FUCK
Sep 8, 2007

by Cowcaster
Pillbug

Cpt.Wacky posted:

I don't have any comments on your design but I'm in a similar position of needing a real SAN. I'm curious what led you to the Powervaults over something like Equallogic. Is it just price?

Worked with them before at other places, they are decent for the price, never had gripes with them compared to HP's solution of NAS devices. The fact I can dig down and customize them via web interface is nice too

Nukelear v.2 posted:

Why use NAS at all, why not just get some MD3xxxi's and just present iSCSI and use VMFS to your hosts? Or buy some EQL if you get a bigger budget.

I could go that way but I have some 10GoE connections and 10g FCoE adapters on the hosts, I would like to put those to use. Seeing how MD's start at 18g for one device, it doesn't look cost effective either.

skipdogg posted:

CF, I can't give exact numbers but our pricing on a VNXe box from EMC with close to your data capacity isn't far off that 30K mark.

I would also recommend exploring Raid 6 instead of 5. I've heard (probably from this thread) that rebuilding a Raid 5 array with those large disks can take days, and the odds of coming across a bad sector that fucks the rebuild is increased.

Yeah I am going to look about getting a larger write cache though if I go raid 6.

If you have any documentation on some SAN setups for around 30k let me know, most places will sell me a single box maxed out for 28 grand or shove 2 mid teir boxes at me with 2-4 gig net interfaces

Dilbert As FUCK fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 23, 2012

paperchaseguy
Feb 21, 2002

THEY'RE GONNA SAY NO

skipdogg posted:

We're looking at a new SAN to consolidate some aging infra on VMWare and provide some bulk storage. Right now we're looking at a EMC VNXe 3300 with 15 x 600GB 15K and 6 or 8 x 2TB drives for NFS/CIFS storage. What else should we be looking at in that price range? The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is the P4000/LeftHand stuff, but I would lose out on the Network Raid crap unless I doubled the price. My HP reseller mentioned a small EVA, but I'm not sure how well that would be received.

EMC is the incumbent as the storage guy likes their stuff, so I need something in that price range.

look at v7000 Unified

Nukelear v.2
Jun 25, 2004
My optional title text

Corvettefisher posted:

I could go that way but I have some 10GoE connections and 10g FCoE adapters on the hosts, I would like to put those to use. Seeing how MD's start at 18g for one device, it doesn't look cost effective either.

An unpopulated MD3620i with dual controllers is ~9k and is 10GigE, vs 6k for an empty NX. MD also isn't drive locked so feel free to put whatever you want in it.

Though again, I'd get enough scratch together to do Equallogic at least.

What happens when the raid controller or the motherboard fails in NAS A? Or you need to patch CentOS/WS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanilla
Feb 24, 2002

szlevi posted:

http://virtualgeek.typepad.com/virtual_geek/2012/05/isilon-x400-and-mavericks.html

Has anyone seen this Mavericks yet? I don't mean NDA-capped details - though I'd welcome them too :D - but in general, how is it different?

Bit more info here:

http://chucksblog.emc.com/chucks_bl...t=Google+Reader