Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

I wouldn't go into a Hatebreed pit, those kids aren't there to have fun. They just like kicking the girls on the side of the pit. I'd much rather go see a band like Municipal Waste and enjoy running around going nuts. gently caress that kicking poo poo.

Also, more power to Brendan Small, that guy is successful in TV and has a decent music career? That's two entirely separate dream jobs for most people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

I've never really understood the great appeal of "moshing". I mean, it wasn't even really a metal thing to begin with. Why it has ever gone beyond the original hardcore punk scene surprises me? I can see bands on stage getting a rise out of it seeing a whirlpool fans just reacting to their performance, but as a fan, what in the hell makes you want to roll around with a bunch of sweaty dudes? Hardcore dancing? It's lame and you look like a gay power ranger doing it. You say that you've got all this pent up negative energy you need to release? Get laid or go run around the block 5 times. Most of the meatheads I've seen "moshing" at shows don't look like they would even know who's playing on the stage. They're just there to get their "mosh" on. Maybe it just proves to be a good opportunity to grope other sweaty guys.

Pretty much this. I find it more annoying than anything else when I am watching a perfectly good show and some fat sweaty corpse-painted man runs into me at full speed. Besides the fact that I'm not built for that, it is a huge distraction from the reason I am there: the band on the stage. I know I'm boring, but it is pretty interesting seeing that there are people from both camps in this thread.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I've never really understood the great appeal of "moshing". I mean, it wasn't even really a metal thing to begin with. Why it has ever gone beyond the original hardcore punk scene surprises me? I can see bands on stage getting a rise out of it seeing a whirlpool fans just reacting to their performance, but as a fan, what in the hell makes you want to roll around with a bunch of sweaty dudes? Hardcore dancing? It's lame and you look like a gay power ranger doing it. You say that you've got all this pent up negative energy you need to release? Get laid or go run around the block 5 times. Most of the meatheads I've seen "moshing" at shows don't look like they would even know who's playing on the stage. They're just there to get their "mosh" on. Maybe it just proves to be a good opportunity to grope other sweaty guys.

I don't really get moshing either, but I also don't don't see why you have to be a great big homophobe about it.

Funeral Mist
Sep 30, 2009
I mosh sometimes when I'm really feeling the band, I don't try and hurt anyone or anything but sometimes I just feel it.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
Seen: my handle. I love to mosh. I'm a 5'4 girl and I just...it's just fun. I've never really had problems with getting groped, although I've heard horror stories. I have been elbowed in the face (on accident and on purpose). I've gotten into fights. Circle pitting to Kreator at Wacken was one of the coolest experiences of my life and tiny shows, like Magrudergrind at Transistions of Chruchill's is just too much fun not to go nuts. There's a certain pit etiquette and camaraderie that I've never experienced anywhere else.

e- Hardcore dancing, the flingy kind, looks stupid and hurts innocent bystanders. And kicking and punching is really a big no-no.

Because I'm short, I like to stand in the back of the pit, because I am in control of my space (no overcrowding like up front!), I can get out if I need to pee or get a beer and it's the only place I can see over everyone. I usually end up shoving some people around. I can understand why people don't like to mosh, but shows here seem to always have some kind of upper floor area/upstairs/other place to stand that's out of the way of flying people.

Now that I've been going to shows for almost ten years, my knees are hosed...sometimes I feel a little moshed out. But for a really great show, I will totally run around in a circle/push pit and shove some people.

All that said, I really came here to post a blog I just wrote about Americans going to Euro fests. I've had people ask me how I've done it, so I finally wrote it all up.
http://scrapyardmagazine.blogspot.com/2012/05/pitgoddess-guide-to-fest-going.html

Edit again: I don't know if there's any Ihsahn solo fans, but there's a new solo song called The Paranoid and you can google for it. I had a link, but I guess :filez:

thepitgoddess fucked around with this message at 07:18 on May 20, 2012

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

thepitgoddess posted:

Edit again: I don't know if there's any Ihsahn solo fans, but here's the new single.

I love Ihsahn's solo work, and this song is great, but you might want to find another link that's not :filez:

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies

Bertrand Hustle posted:

I love Ihsahn's solo work, and this song is great, but you might want to find another link that's not :filez:

I didn't even notice. Well, seeing as how it's the only link, I guess I'll have to take it down.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Houseplant posted:

Pretty much this. I find it more annoying than anything else when I am watching a perfectly good show and some fat sweaty corpse-painted man runs into me at full speed. Besides the fact that I'm not built for that, it is a huge distraction from the reason I am there: the band on the stage. I know I'm boring, but it is pretty interesting seeing that there are people from both camps in this thread.

Sorry. My intention was not to come across as a homophobic rear end in a top hat. I think that I'm just getting old.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!

Sorry. My intention was not to come across as a homophobic rear end in a top hat. I think that I'm just getting old.

I didn't think it was homophobic. Your mention of sweaty dudes in the pit reminded me of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi2mq318yrI&feature=youtube_gdata_player and who really wants that?

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

Some people in here are on a hardcore mission to seek out things to be offended by.

funeral fag
Jun 23, 2004

Let's get trigger warnings up in this bitch edit uh sorry

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Oh no, not at all. I'm sorry if I sounded like I was offended or if i was patronizing you or anything.

And if some people are that easily offended, I doubt that metal is the right music for them :)

thehouseplant fucked around with this message at 01:09 on May 22, 2012

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
I was listening to metal for the first time in a while today, and Empty's A Source of Hollow Essence popped up. I strikes me as run of the mill Dissection worship, but a couple tracks were pretty cool, especially the track Worship Me and Die. I'm interested in listening to some similarly melodic blackened thrash, any recommendations?

hopper2k
Jan 22, 2007

Wattsamatta posted:

Got my tickets for the Gojira/LOG/Dethklok show in Seattle. Can't wait. poo poo is going to be awesome.

Yes! I am totally looking forward to this show. I've seen Dethklok twice live and they have been fun shows. I am not a big fan of LoG, but I have seen them twice as well and they put on a hell of a live show. And Gojira are one of my newer favorite bands at the moment, I'm so pumped for their upcoming album, so this is going to be one hell of a tour. I'll probably be going to both the Houston and San Antonio shows.

RationalTangle
Jan 6, 2012
I ordered up Timeghoul's discography after hearing about them in the thread awhile ago. The CD just showed up today and I've been listening to it almost nonstop, it's really great. My favorite track (for now at least) is "Boiling in the Hourglass".

It got me wondering: Does anybody know of any metal groups with a similar dark/bleak science fiction theme to their music? My apologies if a similar question has been answered earlier in the thread, I've been reading it off and on for a couple months and might have missed it.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

RationalTangle posted:

Does anybody know of any metal groups with a similar dark/bleak science fiction theme to their music?
Vektor.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

BjornOfBorg posted:

Seated metal concerts is the strangest phenomenon ever and I don't think I've ever encountered it anywhere in Europe.
Well, there was that infamous incident with Slayer at the Felt Forum (MSG) in '88 where the fans started ripping all the cushions out of the seats and throwing them at the stage. Most venues have been too smart for that poo poo at metal shows since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Qzz6rfuiFg

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

RationalTangle posted:

It got me wondering: Does anybody know of any metal groups with a similar dark/bleak science fiction theme to their music? My apologies if a similar question has been answered earlier in the thread, I've been reading it off and on for a couple months and might have missed it.

Nocturnus, Tenebris, Caustic, Morbius, Demilich, Cosmic Atrophy, Supuration.

You also have stuff like Axis of Advance which is straight out oppressive. If that's your thing, Sacramentary Abolishment is where to go from there.

Oh and Voivod. Always Voivod. And Obliveon.

The Clit Avoider fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 22, 2012

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Thank you for this

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

RationalTangle posted:

While I believe just about the entire group has just about turned over now, Planetary Duality from The Faceless fits that science fiction / horror tech death theme. It will be interesting to see how the new members change their sound from here on out. I haven't heard any of their new material.

Seconding Vektor and Voivod sci-fi theme with progressive thrash.

On a different note, has anyone else been following the development of the new Dying Fetus album, Reign Supreme? The samples I've heard sound insanely good!

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

RationalTangle posted:

Darkspace is all sci-fi themed "space black metal". I really only like their first album but I like it a LOT. It's definitely bleak and empty feeling

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Thoughts on Voivod without Snake? The two albums without him (Negatron and Phobos) were the only thing I was able to get into. Eric Forrest was Voivod to me when I was young.

If you haven't heard that stuff, check this out. It's loving awesome and when I listen to other Voivod stuff it just seems like lovely rock and roll.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6zB0AnMcQZQ

Love that style of animation and ... well laughable 90's CG but the poo poo was nuts back than.

RationalTangle
Jan 6, 2012

Being that I am a Lovecraft fan, this song has made my day, thanks! :cthulhu:

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I know the thread title and I know their past few albums have been pretty forgettable, but has anyone had a chance to check out the new Sonata album? I'll probably buy it on Amazon after work today regardless, but I was just curious what the goons thought.

Cat Planet
Jun 26, 2010

:420: :catdrugs: :420:
Thanks, I've been looking for stuff that sounds like early tiamat :v:

Wattsamatta
Feb 24, 2008

I am listening to the new Children of Bodom. You should too. It's good.

Edit: For a best of album that is.

Wattsamatta fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 22, 2012

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Sab669 posted:

I know the thread title and I know their past few albums have been pretty forgettable, but has anyone had a chance to check out the new Sonata album? I'll probably buy it on Amazon after work today regardless, but I was just curious what the goons thought.

Go back a few pages and see us discuss "I Have A Right".

loving terrible.

Reminded me of Elvenkings "The Scythe" where they just poo poo all over the fanbase. Luckily they came back to form on the next couple albums. Will SA? Time will tell.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Sab669 posted:

After the single they put out was even worse than expected the only interest I have is hearing just how awful "Shitload of Money" is because that loving song title.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Sab669 posted:

The thread title change was because people talked about it but it was nothing but "hey look how unsurprisingly horrible Sonata Arctica's latest album is"

edit: god loving dammit.

het fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 22, 2012

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

IRQ posted:

After the single they put out was even worse than expected the only interest I have is hearing just how awful "Shitload of Money" is because that loving song title.

Yuuuuuuup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYZxJFWtHKc

Oh and for the record, the chorus count in "I Have A Right" is 6 times in the 4 minute song. Goddamn.

H13 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on May 22, 2012

Huge Lady Pleaser
Jun 17, 2005

hello how r u doing im just looking for ppl 2 chill wit relax go out n have funn if ur looking for da same thing hit me up
Nap Ghost
For those that don't understand moshing, you should know that for circle pits there are "rules" to it. Really. The people that aren't doing it right are the ones that get shoved out to the side and/or pushed over.

I don't personally enjoy it, but if people are doing it right then there won't be as much collateral damage.

Tim Thomas
Feb 12, 2008
breakdancin the night away
Vektor is straight up Aspid worship. The lyrics aren't there, but if you're into the whole progressive thrash thing, I don't see a good reason why you wouldn't enjoy them thoroughly.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
I always got a Death Angel vibe from them. Speaking of which, The Ultra-Violence is being re-released in re-mastered glory this summer.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Hammer Floyd posted:

Yuuuuuuup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYZxJFWtHKc

Oh and for the record, the chorus count in "I Have A Right" is 6 times in the 4 minute song. Goddamn.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I've never followed this band but holy gently caress, did they think people liked Nickleback?

Let's try to cleanse some pallets and listen to this, it loving slays HARD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J2IExEaaw8

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

BBW FEVER posted:

For those that don't understand moshing, you should know that for circle pits there are "rules" to it. Really. The people that aren't doing it right are the ones that get shoved out to the side and/or pushed over.

I don't personally enjoy it, but if people are doing it right then there won't be as much collateral damage.

Circle pit rules: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9iQ0lU_lOyM

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

RationalTangle posted:

Being that I am a Lovecraft fan, this song has made my day, thanks! :cthulhu:

There's plenty of Lovecraft in death metal.

Therion posted:

Thanks, I've been looking for stuff that sounds like early tiamat :v:

Listen to Necros Christos then?

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
I've always enjoyed Lovecraft's Death by Septic Flesh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5AzuvIz9wM

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Well I just got the new Grand Magus album, and Jesus loving Elvis, it owns so hard I wanna eat my face. God drat.
I will be blasting this poo poo a LOT this summer.

Also, Sabaton covered Amon Amarth's Twilight of The Thunder God, and it's not half bad. I mean Sabaton are a fine band and all, but what the gently caress. :stare:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Nordick posted:

Well I just got the new Grand Magus album, and Jesus loving Elvis, it owns so hard I wanna eat my face. God drat.
I will be blasting this poo poo a LOT this summer.

Also, Sabaton covered Amon Amarth's Twilight of The Thunder God, and it's not half bad. I mean Sabaton are a fine band and all, but what the gently caress. :stare:

That cover would have absolutely slayed if Peter Tagtgren was doing lead vocals. Still I liked it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Sab669 posted:

I've been listening to it today. It's not bad, but certainly not as good as Days of Grays and obviously, different than everything pre-Unia.

It'll take me a while to make up my mind. Sonata Arctica albums rarely catch me at first. It takes a while for me to appreciate them.

I'm pretty sure I don't like Shitload O' Money though.