Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

cheapandugly posted:

Digging for stuff related to Coil and Throbbing Gristle (two of my absolute favorites), found out they came from the ashes of Crisis, another band I really enjoy.

So did Death in June, bizarrely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
I was referring to both.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

cheapandugly posted:

I was referring to both.

The way you worded that it sounds like you mean that Coil and Throbbing Gristle came from Crisis somehow.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Furret Basket posted:

Welp, thank you very much for doing that Twiin. You're doing a public service for sure.

Weird how Andy LaPlegua seems to be a reasonable human being in his response. I expected him to be a little bit of a baby about it.

Unsprising that Thomas Rainer is a piece of poo poo though.

Thanks, man. Yeah, Andy's response surprised me, but what more can I ask for, really?

This is today's surprise:

Rodney Anonymous posted:

A serious question(?!?): Any thoughts on Ad.Ver.Sary's "We Demand Better" presentation at Kinetik?

RODNEY ANONYMOUS

Between that post and Haujobb changing their FB cover photo to 'we deserve better', there is a little teenage version of me who's head just exploded.

Hedenius
Aug 23, 2007

Twiin posted:

Thanks, man. Yeah, Andy's response surprised me, but what more can I ask for, really?

This is today's surprise:

RODNEY ANONYMOUS

Between that post and Haujobb changing their FB cover photo to 'we deserve better', there is a little teenage version of me who's head just exploded.
That owns. Haujobb always struck me as more mature guys anyway.

EDIT: Didn't see the whole video until now. It's great. And couldn't be more timely.

Hedenius fucked around with this message at 19:57 on May 22, 2012

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Maybe this will mean more Icon of Coil :3:

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
IOC is touring for what its worth. Denver in September!

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Hedenius posted:

That owns. Haujobb always struck me as more mature guys anyway.

EDIT: Didn't see the whole video until now. It's great. And couldn't be more timely.

Yeah Myer pretty much hates the brodustrial scene. Not sure where I read it but there was an interview (maybe in like Orkus / Sonic Seducer?) where he told he can't stand stuff like Combichrist or Agonoize.

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Can someone please explain to me why Nachtmahr/AlienVampires/BloodOnTheDanceFloor/etc... all have photos, videos, and live shows with half naked women loving everywhere?

I feel really bad for bands like Skinny Puppy, Throbbing Gristle, and Einstürzende Neubauten. It's as if being talented and creating great music is the one turn-off for sexy goth chicks.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

The Cleaner posted:

Can someone please explain to me why Nachtmahr/AlienVampires/BloodOnTheDanceFloor/etc... all have photos, videos, and live shows with half naked women loving everywhere?

I feel really bad for bands like Skinny Puppy, Throbbing Gristle, and Einstürzende Neubauten. It's as if being talented and creating great music is the one turn-off for sexy goth chicks.

Because it's an easy way to get attention and ~be provocative~, I guess.

I hope the next Volt 9000 artwork will only have naked photos of you and spider_ross.avi

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

The Cleaner posted:

The potential of being in close proximity to naked women is the only reason people like that* join bands in the first place.

*people who clearly have no interest in music

edit: honestly, I doubt if any of those people even spend time listening to music with any interest or a remotely critical ear.

edit edit: having music on in the background while doing something else doesn't count as listening.

Shart Carbuncle fucked around with this message at 15:15 on May 23, 2012

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007
Sex sells. Really as simple as that.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Blutengel is still okay though, right? :ohdear:

The Cleaner
Jul 18, 2008

I WILL DEVOUR YOUR BALLS!
:quagmire:
Maybe their all deaf women?

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

I hope the next Volt 9000 artwork will only have naked photos of you and spider_ross.avi

Would that make you like the music better, bro?

The Cleaner fucked around with this message at 17:51 on May 23, 2012

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
Sometimes you have to choke a bitch.

...because she's into erotic asphyxiation and can only achieve orgasm when deprived of oxygen.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
New KMFDM video.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

This sounds sort of like it belongs on Money.

cheapandugly
Jul 6, 2007
Love the song, and am glad they didn't go the same direction as the Krank video.

DaveSpillings
Jul 31, 2007

"I'll just get a glass of orange juice." "no no no NO NO!!!"
Twiin, I think it's pretty cool that Karl from Angelspit posted your video. I'm glad it's getting some attention around the internet!

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

DaveSpillings posted:

Twiin, I think it's pretty cool that Karl from Angelspit posted your video. I'm glad it's getting some attention around the internet!

He did?

Edit: OH poo poo HE DID

Twiin fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 24, 2012

somethingwicked
May 5, 2006

Hai!

DaveSpillings posted:

Tom Shear was discussing it quite a bit on facebook (supportive). So did Imperative Reaction (not as much).

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Rainer talked to I Die: You Die about this business: http://www.idieyoudie.com/2012/05/an-interview-with-thomas-rainer-of-nachtmahr/

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
That guy doesn't have a thought in his head.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Dr. Video Games 0081 posted:

That guy doesn't have a thought in his head.

"This scene is a sausage fest, it’s all guys. There should be more women in this scene because it would make our music so much better and so much different."

Garrotes women in his music videos
Hey, where's all the wimmens at???

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

I said this already on FB, but:

1: I never criticised Nachtmahr's fascist-military image. I criticised their poor gender analysis/presentation, and the industrial community spontaneously and repeatedly added their fascist-military look to the list of complaints.

2: It's hilarious to me that Anna says "where's Consolidated when you need them", namechecks Jello Biafra, and then says that you shouldn't be political to people who are there to hear music, as if that's not what exactly what Consolidated and Jello did at every show of their entire lives.

3: A public relations protip to Anna, or anyone else in this scene: When being questioned about your questionable fashion choices, never, ever, ever start an unprompted conversation about how the swastika is a Buddist symbol. That's like Douglas P. 101 right there.

Dr. Video Games 0081
Jan 19, 2005
Other dumb stuff: Claiming that you're taking a stand on something, and then revealing that the only belief you're prepared to defend is that military uniforms give you a boner. The limited understanding of politics as occurring only behind a voting machine curtain. The claim that you can't be a misogynist if you were raised to treat women with 'chivalry'--repeated by sexists everywhere.

boo_radley
Dec 30, 2005

Politeness costs nothing

Twiin posted:

I said this already on FB, but:

1: I never criticised Nachtmahr's fascist-military image. I criticised their poor gender analysis/presentation, and the industrial community spontaneously and repeatedly added their fascist-military look to the list of complaints.

2: It's hilarious to me that Anna says "where's Consolidated when you need them", namechecks Jello Biafra, and then says that you shouldn't be political to people who are there to hear music, as if that's not what exactly what Consolidated and Jello did at every show of their entire lives.

3: A public relations protip to Anna, or anyone else in this scene: When being questioned about your questionable fashion choices, never, ever, ever start an unprompted conversation about how the swastika is a Buddist symbol. That's like Douglas P. 101 right there.

A lot of conversation on IDUD really worries me not because I think people have Bad Opinions, but because
(1) they don't seem to understand the complaint you're leveling
(2) they seem unable to explain themselves except by way of pop-culture analogy.

It's almost like they get upset that they are being asked to think about what they like, at all.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
It's frustrating when people miss the point so widely. Disagreement is fine, but it's like they're not even participating in the conversation.

It's tough, because when you think about social issues, you expect others to at least understand the language. People (like Rainer) who have never given it serious thought don't really have the tools to engage, though.

Zaiquiri
Mar 14, 2007

Love the quotes in the interview they highlighted hahah. That's perfect.

spider_ross.avi
Jan 15, 2008

nnGUH

CAT rear end now!!! posted:

Because it's an easy way to get attention and ~be provocative~, I guess.

Me too.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
God I hate that man. I felt really awkward when seeing them at Resistanz, with this whole thing I'm so happy to see that the majority has my views on the subject.

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!

Holy poo poo, I feel like that guy embodies everything wrong with the scene. No politics in music? The genre was founded on social and political commentary. The early uses of military imagery was a negative statement about current political climates. I've been out of the loop for a bit with modern industrial but I'm seriously seeing the mindset of hair metal bullshit and decadence seeping into the scene.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DG7P6NX8yyE

edit: the video is tame by current standards, and frankly doesn't bother me personally (but features plenty of done-to-death-cliche-hot-girls-in-video poo poo: holy crap girls kissing!!!!). But the blonde dancer is stunning.

But the music is just the most insipid poo poo imaginable. It's like they took every single horrible pop music cliche ... auto-tune, featuring guy with a bit of rap, using internet slang/spelling, etc. and inserted it into an electro song.

teethgrinder fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 24, 2012

Konstruct
Jul 22, 2007

I'm Going To Spread Saikyo All Over The World!!

teethgrinder posted:

edit: the video is tame by current standards, and frankly doesn't bother me personally (but features plenty of done-to-death-cliche-hot-girls-in-video poo poo: holy crap girls kissing!!!!). But the blonde dancer is stunning.

But the music is just the most insipid poo poo imaginable. It's like they took every single horrible pop music cliche ... auto-tune, featuring guy with a bit of rap, using internet slang/spelling, etc. and inserted it into an electro song.

I think I'm just getting old cause I totally missed the boat on this. When did music like this get considered industrial?

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Konstruct posted:

I think I'm just getting old cause I totally missed the boat on this. When did music like this get considered industrial?

Faderhead gets worse

I posted this before, but this song is actually on a supposedly electro-industrial compilation.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Speaking of Faderhead....

The Faderhead Blog posted:

“He said Thomas Rainer (Nachtmahr) is a Nazi!” – true. Listen to him when he gets drunk. I’ve personally heard him spout racist “Untermensch”-stuff on one occasion (Amphi 2010 backstage) and I know a bunch of others who have too. So I don’t buy his “it’s all provocation in the name of art!”-shtick. If I had known this in 2009 (when I met Thomas at Mera Luna) I would have never done the “Mädchen In Uniform”-remix. But hey, if you play in a band, dressed up as a Hitler-lookalike, you’ll have to live with the fact that people call you out on your poo poo.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Konstruct posted:

Yeah and what's with people calling this "Nine Inch Nails" poo poo industrial now?? ;)

I mean bands like VNV Nation, A23, Apop etc. "futurepop", have been lumped in with industrial for over ten years now too.

My understanding with Faderhead though is that he started as credible and decent, then after the first album switched to this crap. I've never gotten around to actually checking it out though. I only know who he is because Encephalon were opening for the Toronto show. I checked him out on YouTube and decided not to go. (Encephalon are fantastic though.)

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth

Twiin posted:

What follows this are clips of a combichrist video interspersed with footage of Nachtmahr totally hitlering the gently caress out. I think you've actually been given the benefit of the doubt with how the scene chose to interpret it.

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable
At least Faderhead conceedes in his blog post there that he isn't "industrial". Props for that I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Jose Mengelez posted:

What follows this are clips of a combichrist video interspersed with footage of Nachtmahr totally hitlering the gently caress out. I think you've actually been given the benefit of the doubt with how the scene chose to interpret it.

hahahaha oh you're not wrong.