Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Discount Viscount posted:

:ssh: Pick up Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection and be pleasantly surprised!
How are those games unlocked? I never had a Genesis and don't really care about any of the non-unlockable games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the_american_dream posted:

Havent played Just Cause aside from the demos. Judging from those videos it looks similar to Mercenaries. Is that accurate?
Not even remotely, Just Cause is all about flying around the landscape like a maniacal rear end in a top hat with your infinitely redeployable parachute and grappling hook and leaving a trail of death and destruction in your wake.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN
Yea Sonic's Ultimate owns. Not only is it fun and good for nostalgia but its a great icebreaker for guests

homeless snail posted:

Not even remotely, Just Cause is all about flying around the landscape like a maniacal rear end in a top hat with your infinitely redeployable parachute and grappling hook and leaving a trail of death and destruction in your wake.

I meant the sandboxy aspect of Mercenaries, not the objectives. Does what you said still apply?

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Yakuza 5 coming to Japan in December, with a new engine, taking place in actual Japanese cities, with 5 playable characters.

Haruka is one of them.

You have no idea how excited I am about this.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

I already got it filed under "it will suck". Is that sufficient?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Don't do this Sony, no one wants to see this happen. :(

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Jamesman posted:

Yakuza 5 coming to Japan in December, with a new engine, taking place in actual Japanese cities, with 5 playable characters.

Haruka is one of them.

Actually I'm not sure yet that they will be any more actual places than Kamuro was, they may be somewhat fictionalized as well.

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Ein Bear posted:

The new Doctor Who game that came out has the tone of the TV series down perfectly. You run around, having fun as the Doctor, and then River Song comes along, ruins everything and makes you wish you hadn't bothered.

Spoilers. :ssh:

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I meant the sandboxy aspect of Mercenaries, not the objectives. Does what you said still apply?
Absolutely, there's dozens of villages on the map and you just spend hours descending on one, blowing up everything in sight, grabbing everything shiny, and then gliding away to the next one.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Just Cause 2 is the best Spider Man game ever made.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Also the best Batman game.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Jamesman posted:

Haruka is one of them.

Holy loving yes.

I'm hoping it's Haruka, Akiyama, Majima, Tanimura and Kiryu. :allears:

Also I hope the new engine doesn't have anything to do with Dead Souls's and its loving slowdown.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Code Jockey posted:

Holy loving yes.

Also I hope the new engine doesn't have anything to do with Dead Souls's and its loving slowdown.
You're part right, it's Akiyama, Haruka, Kiryu, Saejima and a new guy named Shinada. Also it is a complete rewrite graphically (I assume it uses the same engine as Binary Domain) and gameplay-wise, it seems. It looks like a massive jump forward for the Yakuza series, which basically hasn't changed since 1 other than more characters and more polygons.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Mercenaries is the drooling vomit-stained hobo to Just Cause's George Clooney. They're similar on a basic level, but the latter is so much better presented. (I started replaying Mercs 2 tonight, and god, it's so clunky and unrefined in comparison to JC2 that it feels like a previous-generation title.)

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Code Jockey posted:

Holy loving yes.

If you just go to the Yakuza thread you could see the scans even. Kiryu's gone all shabby.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Policenaut posted:

If you just go to the Yakuza thread you could see the scans even. Kiryu's gone all shabby.

Yeah I guess I need to get around to reading that thread. :sweatdrop:

Though when it comes to games I really want to play, I tend to try to go in totally blind. Too many things have been spoiled before. :/

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I just finished Journey.

:stare:

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Fuzz posted:

I just finished Journey.

:stare:

Yep, pretty much!

End up having a buddy or two?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Cartoon Man posted:

File this one under, "They're still making that?"
http://www.deadline.com/2012/05/chronicle-helmer-josh-trank-takes-on-shadow-of-the-colossus-for-sony-pictures/

I'll be shocked if this get to the screen.
Yeah, development hell doesn't even begin to describe the state of this project. Last I heard, it was being directed by the guy who made The Legend of Chun-Li :barf: The only way SotC could deserve a movie adaptation is if it was an interpretation of what happened before and after the main story of the game. The game itself doesn't translate well at all into a film; sure the fight scenes are practically there already and are easy to do them in a way that's involving and entertaining (though how they'd fit 16 massive fights into even a two-hour movie while doing them justice is beyond me) but otherwise there's very little there.

A few years ago I read a plot analysis online which was an interpretation of the story and it was surprisingly good. It covered a lot of things like the social status of the characters and basically the world they lived in (outside the forbidden land) and also more or less the complete history of Dormin and his imprisonment. If they went with that there might just be a movie worth watching, but without a doubt it'll just be a carbon copy of what happens in the game with boring shaky-cam transformers-esque fights.

And Agro voiced by Eddie Murphy.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer

SamBishop posted:

Just Cause 2 was so much fun. We've been pretty lucky this gen to get some really great open world sandboxes (Saints Row 2/3, Red Faction: Guerrilla, etc.), but none of those games let you land a plane like this (uploaded directly from the game, so it maxes out at 360p, sorry):

Videos like these make me so glad I'm playing on PC. Rico needs the sunglasses mod after landings like that.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Code Jockey posted:

Yep, pretty much!

End up having a buddy or two?

Try 7. I knew I changed buddies at about 2 or 3 points, but at the end I could have sworn it was the same symbol throughout, but apparently not... I grew all brosef with that last guy when I thought it was the same dude. :unsmith:

Then again, the game loses some of its depth and charm when it tells me that one of the Companions I met along the way was named F3lcher42.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Not to be a negative nancy, but I think there are some big problems with Just Cause 2 that made me very unhappy.

What it does well it does so amazingly. The grapple and parachute combo is so good you wish it would be in every single open world game. It's fun, has a learning curve you can improve and feel good about doing well at, and very versatile and works great with the gameplay.

It's also a very pretty game and even though it's pretty much desert/snow/jungle texture swaps, it's still nice on the eyes and make for good vistas (don't look straight down at the trees though). Swinging through a forest and they off a cliff looks and feels amazing.

Where it suffers tremendously is serious copy-paste-itis. It's worse than I've seen in almost anything since Far Cry 2. There are precious few variants in the many, many, many locations and they really lack individual character. Which is almost to your advantage because of the Crackdown level of collectible inflation. If you don't remember that certain power poles have necessary destructibility, you'll never clear a location and search forever to find that missing piece. But once you recognize the lack of variability, you can wipe places off the map easily.

But that's hard because the AI response is a tremendous barrier to fun in this game. In my experience, you have to want to get to "enemies providing an overwhelming response" in GTA-esque games. You set down with a rocket launcher and blow up FBI cars for several minutes to get your stars high enough that you're really causing chaos. But you can do fun stuff like blowing poo poo up or doing stunts without them using tac nukes on you.

In Just Cause 2, nearly any action will result in an endless stream of helicopters and APCs to arrive constantly. It's very hard to just gently caress around with fun stuff like explosives and grapple tricks if it means minigun helicopters. So most of your time just goes to skyjacking and doing lame air to air combat or trying to flee into the woods and avoid ridiculous line of sight distances so you can go back to having fun. It seriously sucks.

I still have the Just Cause 2 demo on my PS3 because it's an amazing self contained game. Being location limited means you don't have to endure the repetitive and character-less towns or uninspired campaign (I think only three missions in the whole thing were actually unique). You can do all of the awesome grapple tricks and use all of the weapons. You won't run across the silly high cost of resupply that puts a limitation on how much explosive fun you can have in the full game.

Get it for the PC or just get the demo. Otherwise, I don't think it would be long before you wished you could do stuff like the PC mods do like multirope and turn off heat with unlimited explosives for when you want fun.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

Fuzz posted:

Try 7. I knew I changed buddies at about 2 or 3 points, but at the end I could have sworn it was the same symbol throughout, but apparently not... I grew all brosef with that last guy when I thought it was the same dude. :unsmith:

Then again, the game loses some of its depth and charm when it tells me that one of the Companions I met along the way was named F3lcher42.

Ahahaha indeed.

Rather cool that you can get all brosef with a guy who you didn't exchange a single word with, isn't it? I had the same person throughout my entire playthrough, which was awesome.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Code Jockey posted:

How'd you do the coop trophies? Or are they required for the plat?

Yeah, I forgot about those. There's like one or two that I had to do online but the rest of the coop trophies can be done by yourself with two controllers.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

Samurai Sanders posted:

How are those games unlocked? I never had a Genesis and don't really care about any of the non-unlockable games.

Space Harrier Arcade is unlocked by scoring 1.5 million points on the first level of Super Thunder Blade. It's super easy and takes like two minutes.

This is probably a good time to mention again that the Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection has most of the games that Sega's been putting on the PSN for a much better price. Some good games still have to be bought separately on the PSN if you want them, though, like Alex Kidd in Miracle World (is that the first SMS game Sega's put on the PSN?) and Gunstar Heroes. Still, $20 new is a drat good price for the games included.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Payndz posted:

Mercenaries is the drooling vomit-stained hobo to Just Cause's George Clooney. They're similar on a basic level, but the latter is so much better presented. (I started replaying Mercs 2 tonight, and god, it's so clunky and unrefined in comparison to JC2 that it feels like a previous-generation title.)

Except that Mercenaries 2 is horrible, while the first one is the best sandbox game ever made and Just Cause 2 doesn't even begin to compare. :colbert:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

VisAbsoluta posted:

Except that Mercenaries 2 is horrible, while the first one is the best sandbox game ever made and Just Cause 2 doesn't even begin to compare. :colbert:

This man right here knows what's up. :respek:

Really, it's like Pandemic never realized that it was the writing that really sold Mercs 1, and decided to throw away all the cool character traits, briefing discussions, and good dialogue under the bus, and just make generic sandbox #10001. Such a letdown...

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

S-Alpha posted:

This man right here knows what's up. :respek:

Really, it's like Pandemic never realized that it was the writing that really sold Mercs 1, and decided to throw away all the cool character traits, briefing discussions, and good dialogue under the bus, and just make generic sandbox #10001. Such a letdown...

At least they gave us The Saboteur before they collapsed, though.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Payndz posted:

Mercs 2 was terrible. I remember 1 being pretty fun though

zachol
Feb 13, 2009

Once per turn, you can Tribute 1 WATER monster you control (except this card) to Special Summon 1 WATER monster from your hand. The monster Special Summoned by this effect is destroyed if "Raging Eria" is removed from your side of the field.
Mercenaries 1 was really fun and I'm surprised more people don't talk about it. It definitely had flaws, but overall I enjoyed it.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

zachol posted:

Mercenaries 1 was really fun and I'm surprised more people don't talk about it. It definitely had flaws, but overall I enjoyed it.

Mercs 2 was terrible. I remember 1 being pretty fun though

Mercs 1 retains a high spot on my all-time favorites list because of how unique it was for the time and how much fun could be had blowing up everything.

Mercs 2 got a lot of hate, but I still had a pretty good time with it even though it is not as good as the first. There were a lot of frustrating things about it, but you are required to have fun as giant swede who rolls up and demolishes 30 buildings and a few hundred guys just for shits :colbert:

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

ChiaPetOutletStore posted:

I'm interested to hear what your opinion is once you've finished the game. I really feel like that point is when the story changes gears into something much more interesting. I really liked the way the first half of the game builds up the events of the second half. I feel like the split to two discs for xbox would have a cool affect on that transition, actually.
To answer this...

In my humble opinion, Max Payne 3 drives off a cliff at the halfway point, or thereabouts. In a lame attempt to ramp up difficulty, they massively increase enemy counts, and limit the number of cover spots. Most the fights are thus unbeatable unless you find the one cover they intended you to use, and then turtle your butt off.

It feels like some generic cover shooter, basically. Uncharted gets the whole traversal thing, and fights are dynamic, but Max Payne devolves into fights where there is literally only one viable piece of cover for minutes at a time / multiple waves.

They also start throwing bullet sponges at you. When I'm firing a rifle at a guy, I don't give a drat if he's wearing body armor or not - it should NOT take 10 rounds to take him down. More damning are the enemies with no visible armor, but that take the same damage.

... so, yeah, I really wish they'd ended the game halfway through. Then, I was digging it, but now, I'm looking up trade-in prices, and planning to unload the thing without even beating it.

It was really fun, back when I could bullet dodge out and shoot some guys and not get bumrushed by 30 assholes in vests with machine guns :shobon:

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 24, 2012

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

Just stay in cover until your bullet time gets filled then step out and activate bullet time and shoot everyone in the head it's not that hard.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Shalinor posted:

To answer this...

In my humble opinion, Max Payne 3 drives off a cliff at the halfway point, or thereabouts. In a lame attempt to ramp up difficulty, they massively increase enemy counts, and limit the number of cover spots. Most the fights are thus unbeatable unless you find the one cover they intended you to use, and then turtle your butt off.

It feels like some generic cover shooter, basically. Uncharted gets the whole traversal thing, and fights are dynamic, but Max Payne devolves into fights where there is literally only one viable piece of cover for minutes at a time / multiple waves.

They also start throwing bullet sponges at you. When I'm firing a rifle at a guy, I don't give a drat if he's wearing body armor or not - it should NOT take 10 rounds to take him down. More damning are the enemies with no visible armor, but that take the same damage.

... so, yeah, I really wish they'd ended the game halfway through. Then, I was digging it, but now, I'm looking up trade-in prices, and planning to unload the thing without even beating it.

It was really fun, back when I could bullet dodge out and shoot some guys and not get bumrushed by 30 assholes in vests with machine guns :shobon:

That's the entire point I was trying to make earlier. I'm only just starting the second part but the game's difficulty so far comes almost entirely from artificial bullshit. If they just ramp that up later on, I might as well quit now.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

RandolphCarter posted:

Just stay in cover until your bullet time gets filled then step out and activate bullet time and shoot everyone in the head it's not that hard.
Yes, that is The Strategy for the entire second half... which is the problem. It goes from a cool dynamic game where you're diving around and constantly in motion, to - stay in cover, slow-mo, pop up, shoot, duck, repeat.

Or sometimes they shake things up, and don't give you cover at all. Then, you die two or three times, until you memorize locations, and then you come around the corner already in slow-mo and take everyone out before they get into position.

They also introduce the mainstay of generic cover shooters - the turret section - which they then overuse massively, in between an increasing number of cinematics.

It feels like an entirely different game, and not in a good way. It goes from stylish Max Payne to genero hero shooter.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 03:59 on May 24, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
The latter parts of Max Payne 3, even on normal, are way too punishing. I liken it to how they dropped the ball with MGS4. You start off sneaking around, popping necks of humans, and it's a blast. Then Snake is up against tons of poo poo that doesn't even require stealth. Robots, armies, all looking for him/at him. It's boring.

Max's charm is in being kind of a slowmo, drop-five-guys-in-a-dive badass. Having to shoot enemies over 10 times. Or shooting them in the neck, watching them fall, then shake it off and stand back up... is just goddamn annoying. You want me to feel the heat? Throw more guys at me. Make them smarter. Make them flank me more. But making them bullet sponges was the wrong move entirely.

pizza valentine
Sep 19, 2007

DON'T FAKE THE FUNK
Grimey Drawer
That's a shame, I love the first 2 Max Payne games and was super excited for 3. There seems to be a trend of everyone disliking Rockstar games past a certain point. 4 clovers in GTA 4, Mexico in Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire to a lesser extent (that article claims Rockstar came in and took over creative control at some point), and now Max Payne 3 :crossarms:

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Since the PSN share thread has gone under with the changes from last year, anyone here interested in going halfsies on the new Sega vintage stuff? It'd come out to $15 each.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Jjaarreett posted:

That's a shame, I love the first 2 Max Payne games and was super excited for 3. There seems to be a trend of everyone disliking Rockstar games past a certain point. 4 clovers in GTA 4, Mexico in Red Dead Redemption, LA Noire to a lesser extent (that article claims Rockstar came in and took over creative control at some point), and now Max Payne 3 :crossarms:
I don't hate the latter half of Max 3, but it goes a long way to undermine any goodwill the first half built up...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Feenix posted:

I don't hate the latter half of Max 3, but it goes a long way to undermine any goodwill the first half built up...
Likewise. I'm annoyed by it, enough so that I'd rather just trade it in at this point... but I did really dig the first half. It's the first two thirds of a really great Max Payne game stitched to the last third of a Kane and Lynch game with iffy encounter design.

If I'd paid $30 for it, or even if I'd gone in expecting the shift, I probably wouldn't have flinched. I just normally don't buy shooters, besides exceptions like Uncharted - so when it turned into a generic shooter'y thing, it basically lost me.

EDIT: Also also, Dragon's Dogma looks awesome, and I have this rule about buying no more than 1 game a month. A rule I only let myself break by being flat out done with a game and trading it back in. So slog through an iffy third act... vs try the awesome amazing action RPG with physical interactive combat? No contest.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 04:39 on May 24, 2012

• Locked thread