Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wattsamatta
Feb 24, 2008

Nordick posted:

Well I just got the new Grand Magus album, and Jesus loving Elvis, it owns so hard I wanna eat my face. God drat.
I will be blasting this poo poo a LOT this summer.

Umm... How have I never heard this band. This loving owns. I blame this thread and all of you. ALL OF YOU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007

Nordick posted:

Well I just got the new Grand Magus album, and Jesus loving Elvis, it owns so hard I wanna eat my face. God drat.

I was worried a bit when they lost their drummer and picked up the one from Shining, but I like some of the added drum kicks. The album is growing on me but so far I think I like Hammer of the North and Iron Will a bit more. All in all its still solid

beefart
Jul 5, 2007

IT'S ON THE HOUSE OF AMON
~grandmaaaaaaa~

BDawg posted:

I've been listening to it today. It's not bad, but certainly not as good as Days of Grays and obviously, different than everything pre-Unia.

It'll take me a while to make up my mind. Sonata Arctica albums rarely catch me at first. It takes a while for me to appreciate them.

I'm pretty sure I don't like Shitload O' Money though.

I must have really lovely taste in music because I really like the keyboards on Shitload Of Money :shobon:

But I agree with you, this one will take a while to grow on me, but like most of Sonata's more recent albums it'll come around eventually. Except Unia and the most recent single because those are irredeemable pieces of poo poo.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Nordick posted:

Yeah, this is pretty much amazing.

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

Looks like they had a thing on NPR about Maryland Deathfest http://www.npr.org/2012/05/22/153207267/its-gonna-get-sweaty-maryland-deathfest-preview

I like NPR and I love metal but I don't think the two go together. NPR is too serious and metal isn't.

thepitgoddess
Dec 23, 2009

Even Death Metal Monsters Love Cookies
Speaking of MDF, I am bringing two four day passes a friend needed to unload at the last minute.

If anyone is interested, also at the very very last minute, please email me.

Lindsey t 8 8 at gmail dot com (but no spaces)

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Haggins posted:

Looks like they had a thing on NPR about Maryland Deathfest http://www.npr.org/2012/05/22/153207267/its-gonna-get-sweaty-maryland-deathfest-preview

I like NPR and I love metal but I don't think the two go together. NPR is too serious and metal isn't.

NPR? The radio channel with all the classy music and awesome (comparatively to all the other lovely sources of news in america) news? Jazz? Beethoven? News? THAT NPR!?!?!

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Schizotek posted:

NPR? The radio channel with all the classy music and awesome (comparatively to all the other lovely sources of news in america) news? Jazz? Beethoven? News? THAT NPR!?!?!

I know it sounds weird, but NPR has really stepped up their metal coverage lately. In the past year, I can remember them having streaming Agalloch and Worm of Ouroboros concerts, and they had an article about Disma, of all bands, back in March of last year when it was about to be released...with the full album streaming. Also, not that anyone in this thread seems to still care about them, but I believe they were streaming Opeth's new album in its entirety as well.

So, I'm not surprised they're highlighting MDF.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

If you're only checking out one track from Sonata Arctica's new album, make it Cinderblox. It has a banjo. It has a bunch of banjo.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Stoat posted:

If you're only checking out one track from Sonata Arctica's new album, make it Cinderblox. It has a banjo. It has a bunch of banjo.
Because the country thing worked out so well for In Flames

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Misogynist posted:

Because the country thing worked out so well for In Flames

Well the banjo itself worked out for Taake and Panopticon, but I don't see more extraneous instruments making Sonata Arctica more palatable.

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!

Optimum Gulps posted:

I know it sounds weird, but NPR has really stepped up their metal coverage lately. In the past year, I can remember them having streaming Agalloch and Worm of Ouroboros concerts, and they had an article about Disma, of all bands, back in March of last year when it was about to be released...with the full album streaming. Also, not that anyone in this thread seems to still care about them, but I believe they were streaming Opeth's new album in its entirety as well.

This thread is virtually identical to the black metal thread. Once you lose the abrasive vocals you're no longer cool to goons.

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

Optimum Gulps posted:

I believe it was this past fall they actually had a few live sets from MDF streaming on their website. The only performance I remember was Exhumed's, but they had maybe three or four more. It's pretty crazy to think that a place like NPR has been paying attention to such niche styles of music in this recent year and a half, but I applaud them for doing so.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Wattsamatta posted:

Umm... How have I never heard this band. This loving owns. I blame this thread and all of you. ALL OF YOU.
Isn't it awesome though? I love those "Who the hell are these guys and why have I never heard them until now?" moments. Same thing happened to me with Astral Doors a couple years back, I stumbled across their Best Of-compilation and shat a cartful of gold bricks listening to it.

Houseplant posted:

I was worried a bit when they lost their drummer and picked up the one from Shining, but I like some of the added drum kicks. The album is growing on me but so far I think I like Hammer of the North and Iron Will a bit more. All in all its still solid
I've only listened to The Hunt a few times, and as awesome as Iron Will and Hammer of the North are, I can already say this tops them both in my book. There's just this certain kind of feel to it that blows my mind.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Stoat posted:

Cinderblox is fantastic and my favorite song on the album. I also love the 2nd and 3rd parts of Wildfire.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
I read an interview with Joel Grind saying he may not ever release the Yellowgoat stuff he's done :mad:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=DLf4UcDk9aM

I know he's gunning for a D-Beat/Venom/Bathory niche with it and the thought of not hearing the best parts of Venom and Bathory come together is killing me. Are there any other bands that have done what he went for with this project?

The first two Toxic Holocaust albums are the closest things to it I've got, obviously, but I'm at the point where I want to rip the Yellowgoat preview to my ipod just so I can hear it all the time. The song he starts off at 3:25 is FILTHY.

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

Morbid Florist posted:

I read an interview with Joel Grind saying he may not ever release the Yellowgoat stuff he's done :mad:

I know he's gunning for a D-Beat/Venom/Bathory niche with it and the thought of not hearing the best parts of Venom and Bathory come together is killing me. Are there any other bands that have done what he went for with this project?

The first two Toxic Holocaust albums are the closest things to it I've got, obviously, but I'm at the point where I want to rip the Yellowgoat preview to my ipod just so I can hear it all the time. The song he starts off at 3:25 is FILTHY.

Yellowgoat is one my most anticipated releases of the year. It would be a shame for it not to come out.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Morbid Florist posted:

http://sepulchre.bandcamp.com/ its more in the crusty venom camp than anything else, still great though.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

Morbid Florist posted:

NOOOOOOO!!! He's GOT to release this poo poo!!!

Successfully? To my knowledge, not that many. That Yellowgoat clip kinda reminds me of what I love about Children of Technology, Bunker 66, Dishammer, Bastardator and even some elements of Carnivore, Hellhammer and newer Darkthrone. Particularly Dishammer's Vintage Addiction. It's like the bastard child of Discharge and Hellhammer.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

MrBling posted:

http://sepulchre.bandcamp.com/ its more in the crusty venom camp than anything else, still great though.

That IS loving cool.

Baron Von Ghoulosh posted:

Particularly Dishammer's Vintage Addiction. It's like the bastard child of Discharge and Hellhammer.

I'd never heard of Dishammer before but grooveshark has this album up. Aside from the mix I like it. I really like the fact it was almost undoubtedly recorded with the whole band in one room, just playing, like a band SHOULD record.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
The new Mutilation Rites album makes me want to punch someone in the face

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Schizotek posted:

That NPR. They also love them some of that "post"-whatever style black metal and I recall seeing at least 2 mentions for Aggaloch and I think WITTR and Alcest.

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

IRQ posted:

That NPR. They also love them some of that "post"-whatever style black metal and I recall seeing at least 2 mentions for Aggaloch and I think WITTR and Alcest.

I believe they were streaming WITTR's last album before it was released, along with Canopy's latest release.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

MrBling posted:

these guys need to get out of toronto and come to loving detroit. they're super cool dudes too it seems, i e-mailed them a couple years ago and got the ep - they threw in a t-shirt for free!

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
So anyone else here heard the new Kreator album? It's pretty killer.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

I LOVE Kreator. But Petrozza sounds like some bitter old guy that is kicking kids of his front yard.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

Auditore posted:

So anyone else here heard the new Kreator album? It's pretty killer.

Was wondering when that would leak. Guess I know who is raping my eardrums tonight!
Just gave Ex Deo another chance. Didn't care much, the first time I heard them. On second listen, all the bloodthirst and power hunger and world domination and stuff is just....:hist101: Album coming this August is called CALIGVLA. Should be even more insane. Want.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
New Sonata Arctica is miles above Days of Grey because it was dogshit, but jesus what happened?

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Daedra posted:

New Sonata Arctica is miles above Days of Grey because it was dogshit, but jesus what happened?

They got bored of making the same album 5 times, so they made one album with 5 album's worth of ideas on it (Unia) and that pretty much exhausted their creative pool.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

How have their lovely albums sold though? I don't want to accuse them of trying to appear to a wider audience if that is not in fact what is happening. But they sure don't seem to give a poo poo about their prior fans.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
They will never again reach the level of perfection that was "Tallulah".

... I have a feeling you don't have the words
I found one for you, kiss your cheek, say bye, and walk away
Don't look back 'cause I am crying...
:'(

Fiendish Dr. Wu fucked around with this message at 02:07 on May 25, 2012

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010

Fiendish Dr. Wu posted:

They will never again reach the level of perfection that was "Tallulah".

... I have a feeling you don't have the words
I found one for you, kiss your cheek, say bye, and walk away
Don't look back 'cause I am crying...
:'(

From the new album:

Only The Broken Hearts (Make You Beautiful) posted:

Someone broke the frame and now my picture's gone
Remember what I look like?
You can keep my old umbrella
I'll have my rainy day, thank you for all the pain

I Have A Right posted:

Father, there’s a little flower
Beautiful and different, all alone... All alone...
Is it so, Dad?

The Day posted:

Sea full of diamonds, good morning new day
I'll fix us breakfast, and the newspaper says
The company will lay off 5000 souls today

Don't Be Mean posted:

Don't be mean to meeeeeeeeeeee

Shitload of Money posted:

literally the entire song

Yeah this album sucks hard.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
They kicked their old guitarist out of the band for skipping mandatory military service and Im guessing he was a major creative force because GOD drat.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
I'm just starting to get into metal and I'm still trying to figure out what I like. I saw Brutal Truth, Dropdead and Nasum live and I'm positive that I like grind, but then I went to a doom show (Church of Misery and The Gates of Slumber) and it reminded me a little too much of 80s hair metal. I do also like Withered, Dimmu Borgir and Amon Amarth. So what do I listen to next?

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Not Very Metal posted:

these guys need to get out of toronto and come to loving detroit. they're super cool dudes too it seems, i e-mailed them a couple years ago and got the ep - they threw in a t-shirt for free!

Considering that the bandleader is Chorazaim from Megiddo and the new Megiddo album has been just about ready for 6+ years I wouldn't count on too much happening. Unfortunately.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Tshirt Ninja posted:

I'm just starting to get into metal and I'm still trying to figure out what I like. I saw Brutal Truth, Dropdead and Nasum live and I'm positive that I like grind, but then I went to a doom show (Church of Misery and The Gates of Slumber) and it reminded me a little too much of 80s hair metal. I do also like Withered, Dimmu Borgir and Amon Amarth. So what do I listen to next?

Nasum are amazing, great choice. I'd get Wormrot- Dirge, it's an excellent grind album, and I think it is still available for free from the label website. Highly recommended. I would also recommend Rotten Sound (their vocalist is doing the Nasum farewell shows), their most recent album "Cursed" is very good. Then, Insect Warfare- World Extermination. These guys only made 1 album before splitting but it is very good. Then of course there's Napalm Death, of the early stuff I would recommend Scum and From Enslavement to Obliteration, and of the later stuff, Smear Campaign.

Right then, recommendations for if you like Amon Amarth: At the Gates' album Slaughter of the Soul is essential melodeath, really, really good. You might like Children of Bodom too, Hatecrew Deathroll is a fun album. Other than that I'm not too into melodeath, so I'll let someone else field the rest of that question.

Dimmu Borgir: Rotting Christ's recent stuff, particularly Theogonia comes highly recommended from me. I feel obliged to recommend Cradle of Filth too, they often get paired with Dimmu, but I would definitely stick to their earlier releases as they have suffered something of a decline in recent years. You might enjoy Immortal's albums A Heart of Winter and All Shall Fall, they are definitely more pure black metal, but they definitely retain a sense of melody. I would also recommend Keep of Kalessin, Kolossus and Reptilian are both great albums, and finally, Watain's album, Lawless Darkness. Flawless black metal riffing on that album with some awesome lead guitar parts as well.

I realise there's a lot of stuff there, so I hope you find something you like :D

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Peak Performance.

Buglord
SepticFlesh is also awesome for that Dimmu Borgir-esque symphonic metal thing.

Actually, SF is just awesome period.

Baron Von Ghoulosh
Dec 16, 2005

There was a time when I fed from golden chalices,
but now...

Now, I feed as
an old man pees.

QPZIL posted:

SepticFlesh is also awesome for that Dimmu Borgir-esque symphonic metal thing.

Actually, SF is just awesome period.

SepticFlesh is indeed awesome! They pull off the whole symphonic metal so much better than most. Instead of just being a backdrop to the riffs, they really infuse the orchestra parts into their music. Communion is a beast of an album. Seen them a couple of times live and they pull it off pretty well live too.

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!

MrBling posted:

Considering that the bandleader is Chorazaim from Megiddo and the new Megiddo album has been just about ready for 6+ years I wouldn't count on too much happening. Unfortunately.

I did not know that. also dang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

Tshirt Ninja posted:

Terrorizer, Insect Warfare, gently caress The Facts, Graf Orlock