Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
is that good
Apr 14, 2012

The Dissonant posted:

Any Aussie goons have recommendations for good places to order SSDs (in particular, the Crucial M4)? MSY only seems to have Intel.

I've dealt with Umart, PCCaseGear and Scorptec before and I'm not really unhappy with the service they gave me, so if one of them is close to you give that a shot. Otherwise, try checking staticice. Over here the Crucial M4 doesn't really beat the Intel 330 or a few of the other lower-end Sandforce drives by that much if at all, so you might consider getting one of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Hamburger Test posted:

I've been wanting to grab an SSD for a while, but with higher prices in EU the cost has been just a little too high to justify it for me. Last week however the Samsung 830 Series MZ-7PC256B 256 GB dropped by about 15% from day to day across most of the retailers (in Denmark). Meanwhile the price of the desktop edition remains unchanged.

drat man, thanks for pointing this out. I ordered this exact SSD from amazon for 213 euros and while I'm still waiting for it to be delivered, I noticed now the price dropped to 175 euros, a quick call to amazon support and they updated my order with the new price. Probably wouldn't have noticed if not for your question.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
Why is this so cheap?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-003-SD

It's a Sandisk Ultra 120GB. I can see that it's slower than the newer drives, but I imagine it's still a massive upgrade over a mechanical drive.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Chas McGill posted:

Why is this so cheap?
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-003-SD

It's a Sandisk Ultra 120GB. I can see that it's slower than the newer drives, but I imagine it's still a massive upgrade over a mechanical drive.

quote:

SandForce SF-1200 Controller

It's a 2 year old chip.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

redeyes posted:

Did a secure erase do anything?

Thanks for this, I got some error first that the SSD was in a 'frozen' state, did the needful unplug, then tried secure delete - twice.

Then I went to the tuner in SSD Magician and set everything to defaults (where green Y was next to each item, some weren't which is strange because I swear I did the defaults before) and reformatted the whole drive as MBR/NTFS in Disk Management in XP.

Then put the disk in a MBP and reformatted with Disk Utility to GUID/HFS Extended, now reinstalling Lion and there are no verify errors. So, we'll see what happens going forward.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Binary Badger posted:

Thanks for this, I got some error first that the SSD was in a 'frozen' state, did the needful unplug, then tried secure delete - twice.

Then I went to the tuner in SSD Magician and set everything to defaults (where green Y was next to each item, some weren't which is strange because I swear I did the defaults before) and reformatted the whole drive as MBR/NTFS in Disk Management in XP.

Then put the disk in a MBP and reformatted with Disk Utility to GUID/HFS Extended, now reinstalling Lion and there are no verify errors. So, we'll see what happens going forward.

Ah, Yeah the whole frozen SSD thing is odd but I guess unplugging solves that. Secure erase usually works as long as the drive hasn't shitted itself enough to stop showing up in the BIOS. Glad it got you started again.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Bob Morales posted:

It's a 2 year old chip.

Would I notice a big difference in everyday speed between this and a newer chip?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Chas McGill posted:

Would I notice a big difference in everyday speed between this and a newer chip?

Probably not.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Biggest human being Ever posted:

drat man, thanks for pointing this out. I ordered this exact SSD from amazon for 213 euros and while I'm still waiting for it to be delivered, I noticed now the price dropped to 175 euros, a quick call to amazon support and they updated my order with the new price. Probably wouldn't have noticed if not for your question.

Well drat to you too, that's so much cheaper than the Danish stores that I'm actually considering ordering hardware from Germany.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

The Dissonant posted:

Any Aussie goons have recommendations for good places to order SSDs (in particular, the Crucial M4)? MSY only seems to have Intel.

Buy from Amazon or Crucial directly. Shipping is cheap and fast.

Bokito
Jul 25, 2007
Going Ape

Hamburger Test posted:

Well drat to you too, that's so much cheaper than the Danish stores that I'm actually considering ordering hardware from Germany.

Here in the Netherlands there has been a real price war between the 128 GB Crucial M4 and the 128 GB Samsung 830. The M4 can be had for 109 Euro, the 830 is down to 118 Euro, both including shipping. Two weeks ago both were at least 30-40 Euro more expensive. I can imagine that something similar is happening (or will be happening) in Denmark and Germany.

Bokito fucked around with this message at 18:39 on May 21, 2012

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

redeyes posted:

Ah, Yeah the whole frozen SSD thing is odd but I guess unplugging solves that. Secure erase usually works as long as the drive hasn't shitted itself enough to stop showing up in the BIOS. Glad it got you started again.

Eh, latest update: the drive poo poo the brick while installing the combo update to OS X 10.7.4. Boy, did it fail spectacularly, first it filled up the update log with I/O errors and then KP'ed into poo poo so solidly I had to pull the battery to shut down.

Spoke to Samsung and they were very understanding, they just sent me an RMA, and sometime by the end of the day they're also emailing a shipping label for me to print out, they said they're going to pay for shipping both ways. drat, are they trying to be Apple in other ways as well, that's fantastic as far as I'm concerned..

Edit: shoved the old 5400 RPM Hitachi back in, am now in slowmotion dimension, geez I can't wait for the drive to come back.

Edit 2: Wow, Next Day Air at their expense? They're in Jersey, but this is great!

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:01 on May 21, 2012

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Ever since I bought an SSD Ive had a problem while gaming where my system will lock up for 5-15 seconds and then resume playing. If Im playing TF2 this will make some people completely invisible for me, if Im playing multiplayer GTA4 then it'll kick me from the game. In BF3 Ill usually be dead.

I know this would better fit in the tech haus but I just wanted to ask if you guys heard of anything like this before? I enabled AHCI before reinstalling win7 and made sure I had the updated firmware for my 120g crucial m4. The SSD is otherwise great but I never had this problem with my old hd drives.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Cage posted:

Ever since I bought an SSD Ive had a problem while gaming where my system will lock up for 5-15 seconds and then resume playing. If Im playing TF2 this will make some people completely invisible for me, if Im playing multiplayer GTA4 then it'll kick me from the game. In BF3 Ill usually be dead.

I know this would better fit in the tech haus but I just wanted to ask if you guys heard of anything like this before? I enabled AHCI before reinstalling win7 and made sure I had the updated firmware for my 120g crucial m4. The SSD is otherwise great but I never had this problem with my old hd drives.

Stuttering or freezing I'm aware of, but I thought it was only with certain (mostly older?) controllers.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
I've been looking to buy an SSD, but one of the main reasons is for power-saving on laptops/netbooks. All the articles I can find on Google point to a 2008 Tom's Hardware article where they all benchmark to consume more power, not less. But I'd imagine they've come a long way since '08. Would anyone here know if anything more recent has been published?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Chas McGill posted:

Do not buy a first-gen Sandforce drive, you'll be years behind in firmware updates and will get no future support.

Zero VGS posted:

I've been looking to buy an SSD, but one of the main reasons is for power-saving on laptops/netbooks. All the articles I can find on Google point to a 2008 Tom's Hardware article where they all benchmark to consume more power, not less. But I'd imagine they've come a long way since '08. Would anyone here know if anything more recent has been published?
SSDs use roughly the same amount of power as laptop harddrives. See current benchmarks here (idle power usage is what matters most). You're not going to see a meaningful battery life increase from moving to an SSD.

Alereon fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 21, 2012

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

4 Day Weekend posted:

Buy from Amazon or Crucial directly. Shipping is cheap and fast.
Amazon themselves won't ship Crucial SSDs (and a lot of other hardware now) to Australian addresses any more - I tried on the weekend. Some of the other retailers who have storefronts on Amazon will.

The Dissonant posted:

We're basically screwed if we want an M4 in Australia, the cheapest on staticice is $299 and no-one's got any stock at that price. MSY do have those Sandisk Extreme drives for $248, which aren't bad value for money.

Mr Chips fucked around with this message at 00:10 on May 22, 2012

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Dissonant posted:

PC Casegear gets my thumbs up, great support and good website as well.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Mr Chips posted:

Amazon themselves won't ship Crucial SSDs (and a lot of other hardware now) to Australian addresses any more - I tried on the weekend. Some of the other retailers who have storefronts on Amazon will.

We're basically screwed if we want an M4 in Australia, the cheapest on staticice is $299 and no-one's got any stock at that price. MSY do have those Sandisk Extreme drives for $248, which aren't bad value for money.

Dude, just order direct from Crucial. I just placed an order a few mins ago with them. $268.65 USD with UPS Express International shipping.

4 Day Weekend
Jan 16, 2009

Mr Chips posted:

How recently? I bought one last week for $230 shipped.

Digital Jesus
Sep 11, 2001

Don't know when it changed, but I tried to buy an M4 from Amazon this morning and they wouldn't ship to me in Aus. I ended up ordering from Crucial's site instead (didn't know this was an option originally).

The Dissonant
Jul 24, 2008

Just another disposable hero.
Cool, thanks guys/girls. I ended up ordering directly from Crucial; $273 AUD for 256GB (and that's including shipping from the US). A bit over the advised $1/GB, but whatever.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The Dissonant posted:

Cool, thanks guys/girls. I ended up ordering directly from Crucial; $273 AUD for 256GB (and that's including shipping from the US). A bit over the advised $1/GB, but whatever.

PC Casegear has the M4, but for AUS$349 however

http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=210_902_1247&products_id=17686

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Well, chalk another one up to "don't ever buy anything OCZ makes". My Vertex 2 just poo poo itself after less than two years and a number of suspicious blue screens.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Anywhere close to two years is at least a year longer than the 6 OCZ drives my friends and I have gone through.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Speaking of self-destructing SSDs..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/05/21/runcore_self_destructing_ssd/

Apparently RunCore (who is one of the few companies still making PATA/IDE SSDs) now makes an SSD that can self destruct Mission Impossible style via a manual switch. Dunno how they do it, acid or something?

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Binary Badger posted:

Speaking of self-destructing SSDs..

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/05/21/runcore_self_destructing_ssd/

Apparently RunCore (who is one of the few companies still making PATA/IDE SSDs) now makes an SSD that can self destruct Mission Impossible style via a manual switch. Dunno how they do it, acid or something?

A few pages ago as well ;)

Answer your question though, it's via "high" voltage. Pretty clever.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
I got a deal on the Vertex 4, fingers crossed this new gen is better than the last...

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

Lblitzer posted:

I got a deal on the Vertex 4, fingers crossed this new gen is better than the last...

:lol: why do people keep supporting this company?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

movax posted:

A few pages ago as well ;)

Answer your question though, it's via "high" voltage. Pretty clever.
OCZ drives also have this function except the trigger is the power button on your computer.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

fletcher posted:

When you combine cheapest and fastest you're always gonna get people who are willing to risk reliability. Hell, you still get them when it's just cheapest or fastest. At least their experiences can serve as warnings to everyone else!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

DrDork posted:

When you combine cheapest and fastest you're always gonna get people who are willing to risk reliability. Hell, you still get them when it's just cheapest or fastest. At least their experiences can serve as warnings to everyone else!

Depending on just how cheap, how much faster, and how unreliable I feel the purchase would be...I'd make that tradeoff. I use Crashplan to back up to my server, so it's not a big deal if I get a failed drive.

I'm not kidding myself about the tradeoff when I make it, though.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Lblitzer posted:

Lets hope the RAISE/RAID failure correction works since they use substandard NAND!

movax
Aug 30, 2008

fletcher posted:

I supported them with like five drives :downs:

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

movax posted:

I supported them with like five drives :downs:
They don't count if they're all RMAs off the same original drive :colbert:

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I supported them because back then, nobody else made a 1.8" drive that didn't cost a hundred million dollars.

I am stupid and I should feel bad.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Does anyone have any experience with Kingston? Newegg has Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB for $90 after $30 rebate. Price is good, of course, and AnandTech seems to have good things to say: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5734/kingston-hyperx-3k-240gb-ssd-review

Former Human
Oct 15, 2001

The Intel 330 180GB is $140 after rebate on newegg. That's $110 off the regular price and $10 less than the 120GB version.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167122

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Chas McGill posted:

I just installed one of thee Sandisk SSDs and Si far it's been fantastic. I've no idea how it compares to more up to date drives but it boots windows 7 in around 8 seconds and level loads in Diablo 3 take about 3 seconds at most. I'm happy with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poppycoke
Dec 22, 2006

Miaow
So I was trying to install my recently bought SSD into my Macbook and encountered a problem. The connector on my Macbook is too small to fit into the input bit on the SSD. A bit of googling tells me that i need a female SATA (for the SSD) to male PATA (for the connector to the Macbook, not 100% on this though.

I've seen this which would seem to solve my problem but I'd rather not spend that much when it seems all i need is a small cable.

http://hardwrk.com/en/ssd-hdd-adapter-kit-for-macbook-pro-pata.html

Can anyone help?

• Locked thread