Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

NihilCredo posted:

Is there some option if I'm interested in keyboard-only browsing but don't want to deal with Vimperator's archaisms? Basically I'm fine with the existing shortcuts for almost anything, I would just like a keyboard-based way of clicking links, which is pretty much the only thing I still use a mouse for.

On Windows you can use the OS-supplied MouseKeys:
In XP:
Control Panel; Accessibility Options; Mouse tab; select Use Mouse Keys

In Vista/7:
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Ease of Access Center\Set up Mouse Keys

It basically works like this:

The arrows show which way the cursor is moved, / * and - are the left, middle, and right mouse buttons. To make a left click, for example, you move the cursor with the shown keys, then press / (so that all mouse presses until you choose a different button are left click) and then press 5, if you want to doubleclick you use + instead of 5.

If you want to drag you point to an item and press 0 and then move around and press . on the numpad to drop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Just set up a new profile...fingers crossed this does the trick

Thanks all!

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Using the current stable build of FF.

Gmail randomly decided to stop working on sunday. I checked it in the morning--great. Ran errands and crap. Come back in the evening, Firefox says it detected a problem with redirects or something. I either get an error page generated by Firefox, OR I get an error page from Google itself saying it "has detected a problem" and something about cookies.

I disabled ALL my add-ons and reset the security/privacy options to defaults and I still get either/both of those errors.

Anyone else?

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

crestfallen posted:

Using the current stable build of FF.

Gmail randomly decided to stop working on sunday. I checked it in the morning--great. Ran errands and crap. Come back in the evening, Firefox says it detected a problem with redirects or something. I either get an error page generated by Firefox, OR I get an error page from Google itself saying it "has detected a problem" and something about cookies.

I disabled ALL my add-ons and reset the security/privacy options to defaults and I still get either/both of those errors.
Anyone else?
First test in a new profile to see if it persists. If that fixes it, you can probably resolve the problem by disabling your addons and re-enabling one by one till it comes back. Which addons do you have? Likely suspects are things like https everywhere or privacy related stuff.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Cookies can sometimes cause weird redirect issues too, as the error you saw indicated. I would try manually removing the cookies from gmail and google if you didn't already.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I had switched to Chrome temporarily.

When I started Firefox up today, configured as normal (all my usual settings, add-ons re-enabled, etc.) it worked just fine.

Wonder what that was about.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Cookies have expiration dates.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
I thought to clear them after I posted (which was quite annoying for a while) in addition to setting all the cookie/privacy/security options to the defaults. And that didn't fix it, so I left it alone for a while.

Maybe it was one of those super cookies. I didn't go that far.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

pseudorandom name posted:

Cookies have expiration dates.

I was just going to say something about an addon that deletes some of the more persistent cookies and I went to tools and found this:

And that one made me laugh a little.

The program I was thinking of was BetterPrivacy for what it's worth.

Edit for clarity: betterprivacy is not pictured. I just stumbled on to 'view all cookies.'

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Every time I want to come to the forums, I hit ctrl-L, 'for', down, enter. Annoyed at having to hit 'down' now but whatever. I apparently accidentally deleted the "http://forums.somethingawful.com/usercp.php" entry from my awesomebar while aiming for something else. How do I force it to come back? I've opened that link dozens of times since then and it just doesn't want to show up at the top.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

I think you need to type the specific shortcut for the awesomebar to remember it. It's not a simple string search, because for me 'for' does nothing since I open SA by typing 'u' (initially I typed 'usercp', then as the pattern established itself it needed fewer letters).

So try repeating [ Ctrl-L -> type 'forums.someth' etc. until the desired address appears -> press down, then enter -> Ctrl-W ] and it should take fewer and fewer letters to make SA appear on top.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

NihilCredo posted:

I think you need to type the specific shortcut for the awesomebar to remember it. It's not a simple string search, because for me 'for' does nothing since I open SA by typing 'u' (initially I typed 'usercp', then as the pattern established itself it needed fewer letters).

So try repeating [ Ctrl-L -> type 'forums.someth' etc. until the desired address appears -> press down, then enter -> Ctrl-W ] and it should take fewer and fewer letters to make SA appear on top.

OK, this is starting to work. Thanks.

Edit: Yay, it worked after about 6 tries. Each time it took fewer letters to get it to show up at the top.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Why not add the forums as a bookmark then give it a keyword? That was, you only have to hit ctrl+L, type in a few letters (e.g. "sa") then hit enter.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

Question Mark Mound posted:

Why not add the forums as a bookmark then give it a keyword? That was, you only have to hit ctrl+L, type in a few letters (e.g. "sa") then hit enter.

I had it bookmarked but it hadn't occurred to me to use a keyword, even though I use those for searching. Thanks, that's a good idea.

Schizophrenic Orb
Nov 16, 2009

Intriguing...

Golbez posted:

I had it bookmarked but it hadn't occurred to me to use a keyword, even though I use those for searching. Thanks, that's a good idea.

I just use this addon https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/enter-selects/?src=search which hits down for me when I start typing in the address bar. Now you don't have to be annoyed at hitting down every time!

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
Anyone know what's up with Lightning? There's been no updates for it to work in Earlybird for a while now. For a while there I was living the dream of having email, calendar, and irc/im in one app. Stuff I use enough to not want to leave running in the browser all day but not enough to warrant their own apps really. It was fugly and felt kludgy as hell as Thunderbird is wont to be, but it worked.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

No matter how things may seem to change, never forget who you are
Anybody else finding Aurora to suck up a ton of RAM lately? I'm hovering at almost 1Gb with 5 tabs open, one of which is just about:memory. FF isn't able to clean up after something because "Minimize memory usage" isn't bringing it down at all.

about:compartments shows a truly disturbing number of ghost windows which I assume is the culprit. Are any popular add-ons known to leak horribly?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Tivac posted:

Anybody else finding Aurora to suck up a ton of RAM lately? I'm hovering at almost 1Gb with 5 tabs open, one of which is just about :memory. FF isn't able to clean up after something because "Minimize memory usage" isn't bringing it down at all.
Nope, it's running normally here. It's probably one of your add-ons.

quote:

about :compartments shows a truly disturbing number of ghost windows which I assume is the culprit. Are any popular add-ons known to leak horribly?
Yes, many add-ons cause pretty terrible performance impacts. This should be fixed in Firefox 15, where add-ons are no longer allowed to leak memory, at the cost of breaking some functionality. Nothing that can't be worked-around by add-on authors, but these are the same authors who wouldn't fix their memory leaks, so... The hope is that very few add-ons were depending on the now-broken behavior, most of them caused it accidentally.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Speaking of add-ons, which of these are known leakers?

Adblock Plus
Beef Taco
Collusion
DoNotTrackPlus
DownloadHelper
DownThemAll!
DownThemAll! AntiContainer
Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus
HTTPS-Everywhere
IE Tab 2
NoScript
Test Pilot

I can have 10 - 20 tabs open, and use about 3 - 4GB out of 6GB of RAM.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Schizophrenic Orb posted:

I just use this addon https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/enter-selects/?src=search which hits down for me when I start typing in the address bar. Now you don't have to be annoyed at hitting down every time!
This is what the tab key's for damnit. No need to touch the arrows.

Also, I occasionally want to load the actual URL I typed rather than a match from my history.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Alereon posted:

Nope, it's running normally here. It's probably one of your add-ons.
Yes, many add-ons cause pretty terrible performance impacts. This should be fixed in Firefox 15, where add-ons are no longer allowed to leak memory, at the cost of breaking some functionality. Nothing that can't be worked-around by add-on authors, but these are the same authors who wouldn't fix their memory leaks, so... The hope is that very few add-ons were depending on the now-broken behavior, most of them caused it accidentally.

Any of these known troublemakers?

code:
Application: Firefox 14.0a2 (20120531042008)
Operating System: WINNT (x86-msvc)

- Bookmark Favicon Changer 1.62
- Download Statusbar 0.9.10
- Extension List Dumper 1.15.2
- Firebug 1.10.0a9
- FireFontFamily 0.1.2
- HTTPS-Everywhere 2.0.5
- JSONovich 1.9.4
- Test Pilot 1.2.1
- FiddlerHook 2.3.9.1 (Disabled)
- Quick Locale Switcher 1.7.8 (Disabled)
- Snap Links Plus 2.2.1 (Disabled)
- SomethingAwful Last Read Enhancement 1.99.120310 (Disabled)

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

wooger posted:

Also, I occasionally want to load the actual URL I typed rather than a match from my history.

This lands in Firefox 14 I believe. I may be mistaken.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

wooger posted:

Godfuckingdamnit, how did I not know that?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Tivac posted:

Any of these known troublemakers?

code:
Application: Firefox 14.0a2 (20120531042008)
Operating System: WINNT (x86-msvc)

- Bookmark Favicon Changer 1.62
- Download Statusbar 0.9.10
- Extension List Dumper 1.15.2
- Firebug 1.10.0a9
- FireFontFamily 0.1.2
- HTTPS-Everywhere 2.0.5
- JSONovich 1.9.4
- Test Pilot 1.2.1
- FiddlerHook 2.3.9.1 (Disabled)
- Quick Locale Switcher 1.7.8 (Disabled)
- Snap Links Plus 2.2.1 (Disabled)
- SomethingAwful Last Read Enhancement 1.99.120310 (Disabled)
Firebug certainly, not sure about the rest. I wouldn't worry too much about it since this is all moot on Monday when Firefox 15 hits Aurora.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

Alereon posted:

Firebug certainly, not sure about the rest. I wouldn't worry too much about it since this is all moot on Monday when Firefox 15 hits Aurora.

Let's hope so. I'm a web developer so Firefox w/o Firebug is pretty much useless to me :(

ryanbruce
May 1, 2002

The "Dell Dude"

Tivac posted:

Let's hope so. I'm a web developer so Firefox w/o Firebug is pretty much useless to me :(

Have you given the built-in one a shot lately? After my Firefox experience has continued degrading big time, I opted to disable firebug.

Tivac
Feb 18, 2003

ryanbruce posted:

Have you given the built-in one a shot lately? After my Firefox experience has continued degrading big time, I opted to disable firebug.

Yeah, it's nowhere near complete enough. Maybe once a usable JS debugger lands.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

This lands in Firefox 14 I believe. I may be mistaken.
Not sure what you mean, I've been using the tab key like this since before Firefox was called Firefox.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

wooger posted:

Not sure what you mean, I've been using the tab key like this since before Firefox was called Firefox.

Sorry, I meant this bit lands in Firefox 14:

wooger posted:

I occasionally want to load the actual URL I typed rather than a match from my history.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Sorry, I meant this bit lands in Firefox 14:

wooger posted:

Still not clear about what you mean, I can type an url and load it instead of any match in my history just fine by pressing enter after typing. That has been default behaviour forever. That's why Schizophrenic Orb needs an addon to do it differently.

Is something going to change about that in FF14 or something?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

Still not clear about what you mean, I can type an url and load it instead of any match in my history just fine by pressing enter after typing. That has been default behaviour forever. That's why Schizophrenic Orb needs an addon to do it differently.

Is something going to change about that in FF14 or something?

They're sticking in inline autocomplete for URLs, which is what I thought was meant. Sorry.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

WattsvilleBlues posted:

They're sticking in inline autocomplete for URLs, which is what I thought was meant. Sorry.
Oh, now I see how that's related. I was just worried they'd make entering or editing an url manually more difficult.

So, if I'm seeing this right, that's mostly a cosmetic change then?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Flipperwaldt posted:

Oh, now I see how that's related. I was just worried they'd make entering or editing an url manually more difficult.

So, if I'm seeing this right, that's mostly a cosmetic change then?

If you've visited a site before, it autocompletes the URL you type in the address bar, and doesn't just provide results from your bookmarks and history. A small but nice incremental change.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I am still confused about what this feature is. Will this mean instead of typing in "somethingawful" and getting back "somethingawful.com/some random webpage on the server that you visited recently" you will get just "somethingawful.com"?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

This:

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
I see. I prefer thing how they are at present as hitting tab is 2nd nature, but I'm sure there will be a way to turn this off if you don't like it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

WattsvilleBlues posted:

If you've visited a site before, it autocompletes the URL you type in the address bar, and doesn't just provide results from your bookmarks and history. A small but nice incremental change.
I just hope I can disable it. If I have a bookmarklet with the keyword "forums", I don't want an autocomplete to take priority over that. Or if I wanna ctrl+enter a URL that happens to match-up to some autocomplete stuff.

xamphear
Apr 9, 2002

SILK FOR CALDÉ!
I'm running the latest Nightly, and from what I can tell, bookmark keywords take priority over everything.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I'd be surprised if the autocompletion doesn't use the same prioritizing mechanism as everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PraxxisParadoX
Jan 24, 2004
bittah.com
Pillbug

Tivac posted:

Have you tried running a separate development profile in a separate Firefox instance? It at least isolates Firebug.