Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Saucy!
Apr 27, 2012

spangin' for kratom
"That knight" is always the option I pick when asked who my enemy is, the results are wonderful.

Aeris slaps you for ruining the play, then slaps the dragon king because he's there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

darealkooky posted:

Are there any games that have this pseudo-dating sim aspect to them besides FF10 and tales of symphonia? I always thought it was an interesting little thing. Instead of just "go through my dialogue trees and we gently caress offscreen" you just get a little extra screentime with whatever character.

Not that I know. Baldur's Gate 2 is a game that I love but even then it had just Bioware's fanservice patented dating sim that I loathe. It was less shoehorned than any of the modern games by a considerable margin but if you're gonna play it, please don't do it for that.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Momomo posted:

The end of the first act of the game is literally about giving up the entire world for one person, the second act is almost entirely about getting her to talk again, and the third involves fixing her curse.

Lloyd is an Anime Hero and would do that for any of His Friends or people he just met. I'm not saying it's not the obvious intended choice but all of the endings make sense.

Anyway, this isn't the tales thread so I'm gonna stop talking about this.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

darealkooky posted:

Are there any games that have this pseudo-dating sim aspect to them besides FF10 and tales of symphonia? I always thought it was an interesting little thing. Instead of just "go through my dialogue trees and we gently caress offscreen" you just get a little extra screentime with whatever character.

Persona 2: IS has a bit of that. It affects some of the demon negotiation dialogues and a few scenes, but the differences are minor and not worth playing the game over just to see the variants.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

darealkooky posted:

Personas 3 and 4 have pseudo-dating sim aspects with better, more mature, and more realistic situations than almost any other game that lets you date other characters. The other 99% of the games' content is also amazing.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Persona doesn't really count because aside from a big "all of your true friends are backing you up!" thing at the end the slink stuff never comes up during the story, even when it really should.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Thinking about it now, Tales of Innocence also does a similar thing. You get skits about each character the more Luca interacts with them, and also a different ending depending on who likes him the most.

mtrc
Mar 29, 2011

THE FUTURE, YOU GUYS
I really like the way you're laying out the plot, Elentor. I imagine this is quite satisfying to read for someone who hasn't played the game before.

I completely forgot this segment was coming up, for some reason I thought we'd already skipped past it. It's a great little thing, especially because branching/alternate sections like this were not hugely common (and FF games are not known for being nonlinear) so to many (i.e. me) it wasn't apparent that this segment varied at all.

In fact, I dated Tifa and this greatly confused me later when trying to interpret the game's plot, because I sort of interpreted it as foreshadowing when it isn't really.

Makes me even more excited to see the rest of this LP and get the plot properly dissected for me.

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

Saucy! posted:

"That knight" is always the option I pick when asked who my enemy is, the results are wonderful.

Aeris slaps you for ruining the play, then slaps the dragon king because he's there.

Yuffie or Tifa Kicks the Dragon off screen I think.

Valgaav
Feb 21, 2012

Saucy! posted:

Honestly, I've taken to doing the play straight. Just because it'st he only way to ever see the serious answers, since everyone else chooses the wacky.

Also, I liken FF7 to Gurren Lagann. You go out among the fans and you roll your eyes and get tired of them and start thinking "It isn't that good, you guys, come off of it!". Then you sit down and replay it or rewatch it and you realize "drat, this actually really is good" and you start to consider joining in fandiscussions. Then you look back at the fandiscussions and shake your head and decide to enjoy it in private, for what it is, rather than what it's become.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Along with the other characters on the list, they should've let you go with Red XIII, and the whole sequence can be the Gold Saucer staff looking at you awkwardly and (whisper whisper)ing behind your back.

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Valgaav posted:

Also, I liken FF7 to Gurren Lagann.
This is 100% accurate.

Alkarl
Aug 26, 2011

Bonus EXP: 300
MVP: Ike
New Ally: Petrine, Greil, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Petrine, Greil, Mordecai, Lethe, Ranulf, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, Soldier, MPID_BLACKKNIGHT, Greil, Ike, Greil, Ike, Black Knight, Greil, Ike

Valgaav posted:

Truthiness

Couldn't agree more.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Black Feather posted:

Wait, is this for real? I never knew about it, and now I'm curious as hell. Good thing I just bought FFVII off the PS Store this weekend because I was feeling nostalgic (and my brother managed to misplace every single one of my old PS1 games).

e: Actually, I own an untouched copy of Crisis Core, too. Would it be better if I played it before or after doing a replay of VII?

Indeed it is. Elentor, would you mind showing off the characters' different reactions to going on the non-date gondola ride after the dates?

Kith fucked around with this message at 06:08 on May 23, 2012

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kithrixx posted:

Indeed it is. Elentor, would you mind showing off the characters' different reactions to going on the non-date gondola ride after the dates?

Will do.

Saucy!
Apr 27, 2012

spangin' for kratom
Getting Omnislash without savestates is the worst loving sidequest. My PS3 should dispense legal tender for finishing this goddamn bullshit.

Also this is a really fantastic LP and I lurve it a whole lot, but seriously gently caress the battle square

"lol, your Ribbon is broken and your HP is halved, enjoy the monsters who cast Frog and hit you with 800 damage attacks twice every turn"

Saucy! fucked around with this message at 12:38 on May 23, 2012

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

Saucy! posted:

Getting Omnislash without savestates is the worst loving sidequest. My PS3 should dispense legal tender for finishing this goddamn bullshit.

Also this is a really fantastic LP and I lurve it a whole lot, but seriously gently caress the battle square

"lol, your Ribbon is broken and your HP is halved, enjoy the monsters who cast Frog and hit you with 800 damage attacks twice every turn"

It's been discussed at length in the thread already, but you can control what handicaps you get in Battle Square by tapping select to slow down the reels. Also only the last two battles have a significant effect on the points you receive.

Saucy!
Apr 27, 2012

spangin' for kratom

quote:

you can control what handicaps you get in Battle Square by tapping select to slow down the reels.

...I just finished getting Omni the hard way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbfttPAj66k

Well, at least I can reconsider forgetting about W-Summon now :v:

That trick doesn't work with Tifa's limit slots, does it?

Saucy! fucked around with this message at 02:35 on May 24, 2012

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Omnislash costs less BP after the first disc. Unless you mean after that.

The Zeidrich armor is God's gift to the battle square as it halves even the physical elements. added effect+Contain or Hades might as well be mandatory as slapping that many statuses on physical attacks is very very useful. Enemy Skill takes up one slot but adds a shitton of spells. Just watch out though, Without Angel Whisper you're reliant on items for healing from low HP. A Restore materia is useful for Regen and Cure 3.

And sometimes you just lose because you were unlucky. As long as you don't leave the square you keep BP from previous rounds so chin up and try again. If all else fails just stick with Meteorain - it's almost as broken.

Vapor Moon
Feb 24, 2010

Neato!
The Human Font
I really enjoy the G-Bike minigame (even once had a run where the truck took no damage) so getting GP for the Battle Square was no problem.

I then got Omnislash and the other worthwhile prizes as soon as they were available without square mashing, Enemy-skill, Added Effect or similar. Haste+Regen then slash them to pieces is how I did it.

I may not be wise in noticing how easy it is to trivialise fights in this game but I have the willpower to run the BS many times over with a 'good enough' setup.

Vapor Moon fucked around with this message at 15:00 on May 23, 2012

Unacknowledged
Jul 20, 2004

Nobody likes me.
Speaking of battle square and luck, I haven't seen anyone mention my personal strategy (read: manipulation) for their slots, though I could have missed it. I just mashed the hell out of the square button, which let you view current and upcoming slot values a lot easier. The slots don't continue to spin when the menu is hidden, so it's just a slower slot, which made it trivial to get to the end of every set of rounds without trouble. It wasn't until I got most of the rewards at battle square that I realized the more challenging slot values give greater point values, so that was a bit frustrating.

edit: guess I don't read very well.

Unacknowledged fucked around with this message at 19:13 on May 23, 2012

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.

Saucy! posted:

Not only can you slow down the slots, but you can also use certain equipment set-ups that make you more or less unbeatable unless the computer has a few perfect slots that it hits, although I guess that's somewhat up to variance.

It's usually recommended that you don't grind for Omnislash until Disk 2, as the amount required to get the large rewards is absolutely absurd and annoying before then. The main reason for this is that you should expect to spend at least 100 GP getting large numbers of Battle Points (from memory, approximately 100 GP should be able to consistently get 64k battle points if you can consistently win), and that's without manipulating the slots to guarantee massive payouts (you should always finish with destroying all materia whenever possible. This, from my memory, usually gets you 10k+ battle points, so if you're able to consistently hit this it should only take you 6 events to reach max battle points).

I should mention that I recently replayed the game, and I only failed the Battle Square once in that playthrough. I didn't manipulate the slots, and I cleared out everything on Disk 2, and then came back to get multiples at endgame. Note that the one time I lost was due to bad breaks, and not from the Ghost Ship instawinning (I remember that when I used to play the game, that was an annoyingly common way to lose. On this run, I was able to kill the ghost ship so fast it didn't matter).

The setup ideas I remember using, in some detail (from memory, obviously there's a lot of variations you could use):

The main idea behind this build is that the Attack command is the best option. While spells are more flashy, having to use and find time to restore MP can sometimes be difficult, and attacks have a larger support pool of materia (namely, counter attack). This also allows you to ignore MP reductions as well as the otherwise back-breaking 0 MP. The other focal point is on being able to ignore as many negative slots as possible. While this provides the obvious benefit of allowing you to get away with more slots, statistically, it gains greater importance when you take into account that you control the slot. When you only have 1 negative effect you care about on the reel, it's a lot easier to completely avoid that one (as opposed to multiple you kind of care about), and you'll mostly avoid incidental damage from whatever slot you land on.

Character: Cloud (crazy high stats)

Weapon: Enhance Sword (the 8 slots help a lot, although using 6 slotted weapons with higher attack helps if you don't have enough relevant materia)

Armor: Ziedrich (ungodly defenses and halves lots of elements, if I did it again though I'd probably use Mystile, but that's neither here nor there)

Accessory: Ribbon (trivial, if the slots do not break this you should not lose)

Position: Back-row (most of the dangerous, high attack monsters are melee, and this helps trivialize them)

Items: Always have remedy and hi potion/elixir near the top of the list. If Ribbon gets broken, remedy is your second line of defense against toad and petrification prematurely ending your game. It should be noted that the only time that I lost was when the slots gave me Accessory Break, no Item Command, and Toad Status, and even then I almost won.

Materia Set-up:

Long-Range/Slash-all: allows you to attack everything for victory. This allows your back-row position to be completely positive most of the time. It's actually worth doubling up on this if possible (as in using both Long Range and Slash-all), as it means you'll be able to hit at a range if either are broken.

Enemy Skill: This is just about a necessity. The only necessary skill is white wind (restores all statuses, your third method of preventing petrification while also restoring health). Other useful skills are magic Hammer (free MP), Big Guard (mostly used for the haste, don't bother keeping barriers up), and some powerful offensive skill (Beta/Aqualung/Trine: never used them, but if you're backed into a corner they can wipe the enemy).

Multiple (or one high level) HP Pluses: This should soften the affect of being hit with HP Halves, requiring the slots to break both your independent materia and your health in order for enemies to threaten you, and even then Ziedrich should save you.

Other Independent Materia: This is one of the important things about setting yourself up for the Arena, in my experience. You may feel as if you should fill the remaining slots with other helpful materia like Restore, some Summons, or Heal. The problem with doing this is that the skills aren't necessary, as it's more important to have more HP and more Luck than having a 3rd way to restore HP, one shot Magic attacks which could be beta, and a 4th way to restore status (that still doesn't help against toad when you have accessories and the item command broken). This also allows you to effectively be immune to Magic, Support, and Summon Materia breaks (so you can easily aim for them), and since your primary plan is physically attacking, not losing points of strength to materia can't hurt either (this effect is probably marginal).

As Many Counter Attack Materia as Possible (independent materia version): This, along with the trivial choices like Ribbon, is primarily what can make the battle-square so easy. If you only have one, this will occasionally (the chances are Level: frequency, 1: 30% ; 2: 40% ; 3: 60% ; 4: 80% ; 5: 100% ) cause you to probably instantly kill one enemy, and allows you to keep up an offensive if you're forced to focus on defense for whatever reason (like your HP has been halved multiple times). However, if you're at endgame, multiple counter attacks allow for absolute stupidity. With multiple, you usually get 0~2 counter attacks per attack attempted. If multiple counter attacks are activated, they are all used as soon as the enemy's attack is completed. If an enemy dies to a counter attack, the next counter attacks on the list retarget to random enemies. This means that with multiple leveled Counter Attacks, you will straight up kill most of the Battle Arena without even choosing a command.

If you want more counter attacks than the one you get at Mt Nibel, they're one of the prizes in the S-Rank chocobo track. Gas em up with the greens and let 'em go!

TL;DR: Big weapon, Ziedrich, Ribbon, Back-row, Long Range, Enemy Skill with White Wind, HP Pluses, Counter Attacks, and if that doesn't fill your materia slots, useful independent materia. Your primary concern is in attacking, and you should use items whenever possible to handle life-threatening concerns. The strength of this build is in completely ignoring multiple negative slots, as well as having multiple backups for when significant ones are affected.

Interesting Notes from my Experience: If accessory, item, and command aren't all broken, statuses are rarely life-threatening. The large HP gain from HP Plus as well as the back-row positioning and Ziedrich make it so that every attack is manageable without a systematic destruction of these defense qualities or 3+ HP Halves (depending on how many of these are removed. If you get your HP to 9k+, 4 HP halves is manageable if none of the above have been affected). Although it seems that this build is weak to an independent materia break, really all you lose is counter attack (which sucks but is manageable), HP (should only be a threat when combined with HP halves and armor break), and some other bonuses (the long-range loss can hurt against some enemies). The combination of Ribbon, Ziedrich, and your offensive power (as well as command materia) should allow you to ignore these losses unless they have been systematically destroyed as well.

In the majority of cases, you land on slots that you don't care about. Even if you land on slots you do care about, you usually have to hit one, two, or three specific other slots before you should actually be concerned.

Random note from memory: The 8th round is always one large enemy. However, usually this enemy's damage is low, while his HP is high. Even if you've had multiple significant aspects broken and all materia broken (which you're aiming for), it's pretty easy to grind them out, either through winning the damage race or healing with items (usually, if you've been hit with HP Halves and equipment breaks, you haven't been hit with item break, because that's how statistics works). Your main threats are statuses and some high attack enemies in the middle rounds.

EDIT EDIT: Arguments can be made for added effect + contain/hades, but I preferred more HP or Counter Attacks.

Twiddy fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 23, 2012

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I always used Added Effect + Hades in my armor to function as a second Ribbon in case my accessory was broken.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Paracelsus posted:

I always used Added Effect + Hades in my armor to function as a second Ribbon in case my accessory was broken.

The Ziedrich has no materia slots. It doesn't need them.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I never manipulate slots. It does about the same to me as not manipulating them. I do have an easy time with slots though.

Unacknowledged posted:

Speaking of battle square and luck, I haven't seen anyone mention my personal strategy (read: manipulation) for their slots, though I could have missed it. I just mashed the hell out of the square button, which let you view current and upcoming slot values a lot easier. The slots don't continue to spin when the menu is hidden, so it's just a slower slot, which made it trivial to get to the end of every set of rounds without trouble. It wasn't until I got most of the rewards at battle square that I realized the more challenging slot values give greater point values, so that was a bit frustrating.

It was mentioned a few posts above you and talked about :smith:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The Ziedrich has no materia slots. It doesn't need them.
Mystile doesn't need them either, but has them anyway. :colbert:

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

My worst battle arena that I've had ended up with my ribbon broken, green materia broken, no items, half hp/mana, down 5 levels, frogged then smalled. I couldn't cure myself, was absorbing fire damage, and was up against the firebreathing serpent guy. I was absorbing all the damage and doing 1 damage in return, if I hadn't been smalled, I would have won. :suicide:

berenzen fucked around with this message at 19:48 on May 23, 2012

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
If you're playing in the endgame, the best strategy is Meteorain + Mime :black101:

Just don't let that command materia break.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm a big fan of getting Omnislash as soon as possible, as it is so satisfying to me to hit the Red Dragon with it. Don't ask me why. It just is.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Elentor posted:

Will do.

Neato beans. I recall most of them being mundane but Vincent's being somewhat amusing. Let's see if my memory sucks or not.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FinalSin posted:

I really like the way you're laying out the plot, Elentor. I imagine this is quite satisfying to read for someone who hasn't played the game before.

I completely forgot this segment was coming up, for some reason I thought we'd already skipped past it. It's a great little thing, especially because branching/alternate sections like this were not hugely common (and FF games are not known for being nonlinear) so to many (i.e. me) it wasn't apparent that this segment varied at all.

In fact, I dated Tifa and this greatly confused me later when trying to interpret the game's plot, because I sort of interpreted it as foreshadowing when it isn't really.

Makes me even more excited to see the rest of this LP and get the plot properly dissected for me.

I'm trying to have people make their own conclusions. Even though FF7 is famous for its spoilers, the most important aspects of the game are seldom mentioned.

I'm even willing to say that most people who beat the game, by fault of the poor translation, missed a lot of these things.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

Elentor posted:

I'm trying to have people make their own conclusions. Even though FF7 is famous for its spoilers, the most important aspects of the game are seldom mentioned.

I'm even willing to say that most people who beat the game, by fault of the poor translation, missed a lot of these things.

I'm one of those people. I really love Final Fantasy VII and have beaten it a few times, but seeing you lay it all out the way you have has made me look at the game in a whole new light. It's always nice to find out that something you like is even better than you thought it was.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Elentor posted:

I thought I understood what was going on when I played it years ago, but I read the wiki on it recently and boy I didn't know poo poo

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

I remember using Vincent once in the battle square. Had to use his lv4 limit break for some reason, and was rather thankful that his morph was immune to Eject, because of that loving ghost ship.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

berenzen posted:

My worst battle arena that I've had ended up with my ribbon broken, green materia broken, no items, half hp/mana, down 5 levels, frogged then smalled. I couldn't cure myself, was absorbing fire damage, and was up against the firebreathing serpent guy. I was absorbing all the damage and doing 1 damage in return, if I hadn't been smalled, I would have won. :suicide:

My story about the time this happened to me was better. :colbert:

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So was the relationship meter ever going to affect combat, or just how cutscenes played out? I'm curious.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Just the gondola scene there, AFAIK

Orry
Apr 5, 2011
When combat affects the relationship scores, relationship scores affect combat. Since many people would alter their play styles to get their preferred scene if they knew about it.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
About the only game I can think of where a relationship score has effected the combat in any significant way, is in the later Shadow Hearts games, where each character has an "affinity" with each other.

The more time the same characters spend together in combat (and the more successful combos they do), the higher the overall combo damage becomes.

Of course, it doesn't affect any scenes that characters get with each other, and some characters will work better with others anyway, having a higher base affinity stat with that character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's also the Sakura Wars series, which has that concept as its bread and butter.

• Locked thread