Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

NosmoKing posted:

Costco?

Sam's Club?

Smithfield?

Tyson?

Monoculture agriculture?

Ke$ha music?

Not to sass, but the guy has hot button issues.

Eh, those are all just aspects of the same issue, though.

Ruination of America snype:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

NosmoKing posted:

I KNEW IT!!

Now I have peer reviewed evidence to back it up!

Do you like to pontificate about organic food, your CSA and the evils of big ag? Then you may feel morally superior to others; you may be a jerk.

This is the truth of everybody recently seeing 'the light' in something... recent ex-smokers, people who drive Prius', Paloe-centric eaters, vegans, christians, buddhists, muslims and all other stuff that is best fitted into the 'religeous' category.

The reason why they're best fitted into that category is because of their tendency to proselytize, to preach, and to light the holy fire in you, not because of there being an actual religeous content or ritual connected to their beliefs.

On the other side of that fence stands the guys who're buying CSA for the taste, organic eggs for the orange yolks, and free-range, gras fed beef for the missing fat residue at the top of their mouths after eating it.

Those guys are standing there, willing to help society by volounterering, but the only issue is that they are so goddamn virile and have a sperm count so high, that they're in danger of impregnating anyone they interact with (they have been known to impregnate farm yard machinery, and how many little Johnny Deer lawnmowers can you really have?), so they have to decline, for your sake! here I am referring to a Danish study on sperm count with organic farmers, which was staggeringly high as compared to the average farmer and the population in general.

The conclusions are, of-course, entirely correct - people who overfocus on single point agendas tend to become dicks about it, simply because they have no second item on their agenda.

That is universal, and not related to food in any manner.

The study may have been rejected since - I don't care, something about being around farm-yard animals makes people virile like gently caress!

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 22, 2012

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

mediaphage posted:

Good god, I heard that whoosh all the way in Toronto.

lol

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

NosmoKing posted:

Ke$ha music?

Ouch.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.

Here is Stovetop posted:

You got a recipe for that chimichurri? My old boss at this cafe I worked at made this amazing chimichurri for special occasions to go on these tiny open face steak sandwiches that was amazing. I have been unable to replicate it.
I pretty much eyeballed everything, but something like:

1/2 cup densely packed parsley
small handful of cilantro (maybe 2-3 tbs packed)
4 garlic cloves
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice (bitter orange or lime juice would probably taste nice too)
salt, pepper, red pepper flakes to taste

- put herbs and garlic in food processor and obliterate
- dump in bowl and add remaining ingredients
- if you put everything in the food processor at once you get an emulsion (aka chimichurri vinaigrette)

Guess the olive oil and vinegar weren't local, but the rest was.

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them

If you're gonna swing the bat, swing for the fences.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

Happy Hat posted:

This is the truth of everybody recently seeing 'the light' in something... recent ex-smokers, people who drive Prius', Paloe-centric eaters, vegans, christians, buddhists, muslims and all other stuff that is best fitted into the 'religeous' category.

The reason why they're best fitted into that category is because of their tendency to proselytize, to preach, and to light the holy fire in you, not because of there being an actual religeous content or ritual connected to their beliefs.

On the other side of that fence stands the guys who're buying CSA for the taste, organic eggs for the orange yolks, and free-range, gras fed beef for the missing fat residue at the top of their mouths after eating it.

Those guys are standing there, willing to help society by volounterering, but the only issue is that they are so goddamn virile and have a sperm count so high, that they're in danger of impregnating anyone they interact with (they have been known to impregnate farm yard machinery, and how many little Johnny Deer lawnmowers can you really have?), so they have to decline, for your sake! here I am referring to a Danish study on sperm count with organic farmers, which was staggeringly high as compared to the average farmer and the population in general.

The conclusions are, of-course, entirely correct - people who overfocus on single point agendas tend to become dicks about it, simply because they have no second item on their agenda.

That is universal, and not related to food in any manner.

The study may have been rejected since - I don't care, something about being around farm-yard animals makes people virile like gently caress!

i was really hoping this is true but

quote:

CONCLUSION:
Despite slight differences in concentrations of reproductive hormones, no significant differences in conventional measures of semen quality were found between organic and traditional farmers.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10448320

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

But it was true in the start of the 90's.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Crosspost from questions thread:

Not sure how good it is, but home.woot.com has a 8" Chinese knife for $25 that costs $65 on Amazon.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.

The Macaroni posted:

I pretty much eyeballed everything, but something like:

1/2 cup densely packed parsley
small handful of cilantro (maybe 2-3 tbs packed)
4 garlic cloves
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon lemon juice (bitter orange or lime juice would probably taste nice too)
salt, pepper, red pepper flakes to taste

- put herbs and garlic in food processor and obliterate
- dump in bowl and add remaining ingredients
- if you put everything in the food processor at once you get an emulsion (aka chimichurri vinaigrette)

Guess the olive oil and vinegar weren't local, but the rest was.

Thanks so much for this...I'll give this a try. Then I think I'll make another batch with a bit of jalapeno or poblano in there too.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mediaphage posted:

Good god, I heard that whoosh all the way in Toronto.

lol

anyways, I don't know anyone who does a CSA for any reason other than amazing tasting food. I mean economically benefiting your local area is usually a good thing, but christ the quality of the veg I get every week from a CSA vs chain supermarket is astounding

or basically just everything happyhat said

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mindphlux posted:

lol

anyways, I don't know anyone who does a CSA for any reason other than amazing tasting food. I mean economically benefiting your local area is usually a good thing, but christ the quality of the veg I get every week from a CSA vs chain supermarket is astounding

or basically just everything happyhat said

Yeah. Ours isn't quite CSA, it's Riverford, which is a large organic fruit and veg box delivery scheme, but the quality of the produce is just amazing. The colour and intensity of the vegetables is notable, and you can really taste the difference most of the time.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Quick note to self... it is not ok to compare management reporting to top management with "selling F-16's to recently discovered tribes in central Africa" when adressing top-management.

Also.. do not extend metaphor to rocket launchers and using the wrong end of a stick..

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Why not? That sounds like an incredibly apt comparison. :colbert:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Yawgmoth posted:

Why not? That sounds like an incredibly apt comparison. :colbert:

Perhaps a little... too apt.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

therattle posted:

Perhaps a little... too apt.

They all agreed with me though..

So that is why I had to reiterate, and make it clear to them that I was speaking of them personally, and not the analysts in the business.

Then they agreed not so much.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Happy Hat posted:

They all agreed with me though..

So that is why I had to reiterate, and make it clear to them that I was speaking of them personally, and not the analysts in the business.

Then they agreed not so much.

I think you, more than anyone else, should be using the phrases off this site in your meetings.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Drink and Fight posted:

I think you, more than anyone else, should be using the phrases off this site in your meetings.

OMG, totes amaze, totes hilair.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
late night beats :

fuckin love this song/group, but rarely see them mentioned anywhere

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUZJio2A6IA

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

Last night we had an orange/meyer lemon/sage sorbet that really kicked a lot of rear end. You all should make such a sorbet.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Sounds good. I made strawberry ice cream last night (local strawberries from my CSA #moralsuperiority), next up is blackberry sorbet from non-local berries. If I can find some Meyer lemons, I'm all over that sorbet.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
I made peppermint frozen custard with chocolate chunks last night. 'Tis the season. I have more mint than I know what to do with.

Can I soak it in vodka and make extract? Freeze it?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Phummus posted:

I made peppermint frozen custard with chocolate chunks last night. 'Tis the season. I have more mint than I know what to do with.

You can, but the color is weird and I find if you extract too long it goes way bitter

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Dry the mint, maybe? Even though dry mint is way inferior to the fresh stuff, comes in handy in winter.

My question: I've still got collard greens and mustard greens--anything exciting I can do with them besides "ye olde pot of greenes"?

Edit: Oh man, I remember one of you once tried making dolmathes with collards and said it was fabulous. I'll go that route!

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Phummus posted:

If you have an isi you can quick-infuse it!

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

Siri is giving me some issues..

She is not really cooperative, now is she?

My wife's name is now interpreted as Maria bring and truck the house...

Happy Hat fucked around with this message at 21:22 on May 24, 2012

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

The Macaroni posted:

My question: I've still got collard greens and mustard greens--anything exciting I can do with them besides "ye olde pot of greenes"?

Enter the mustard ICSA.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

Happy Hat posted:

Siri is giving me some issues..

She is not really cooperative, now is she?

My wife's name is now interpreted as Maria bring and truck the house...

I had the local news on in the background today while having breakfast and I literally heard, "Before you ask her one more question, Is Siri a spy?!"

The hell is wrong with people?

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I'm ready for the weekend to get here. I'm going to make fajitas again (way easier than I thought it'd be, except for the easy-but-tedious pico), and probably throw some salmon/ribs on the smoker on Sunday or Monday.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Speaking of the mustard ICSA, does anyone have a good source for mustard greens in the UK?

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

TECHNICAL Thug posted:

I'm ready for the weekend to get here. I'm going to make fajitas again (way easier than I thought it'd be, except for the easy-but-tedious pico), and probably throw some salmon/ribs on the smoker on Sunday or Monday.

How is pico tedious? you just chop a bunch of stuff and then eat it.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I think I just made too much last time, I used a lovely knife, and my chopping skills are awful.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Phummus posted:

I hear you about the bushels-o-mint right now. Mint jelly, perhaps? I'm going to try that soon, since I'm on a canning spree. I made a rosemary-orange jelly last week to use up my cannot-be-killed rosemary bush, and I think mint is next on the list. I have a chocolate-mint variety that should be pretty yummy as a dessert; care to share your custard recipe?

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA posted:

How is pico tedious? you just chop a bunch of stuff and then eat it.

If only they had pico-mitts...

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

This produces an infusion that does not discolor, so long as you do not crush the mint. The mint itself comes out of the whipper feeling very sad, and it goes brownish black in minutes - very exciting!

I have compared pressure infusing just leaves with leaves and stems using normal peppermint and found that the stems were fine - no detectable additional bitterness. I've also used a few other mint varieties, the Kentucky Colonel variety tasted best, but the differences were slight, especially once shaken up into cocktails. Mint gin was far more exciting than mint vodka. I'd like to try mint bourbon, or maybe mint wray and nephew next. One tip - do wash the mint well, and do let it dry fairly well before infusing.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Yeah, just putting mint leaves into vodka turns it to a color I'd describe as light whiskey-ey. I did it that way once, and I decided to add a bunch of sugar and put a drop of green coloring in it so it'd look more appetizing. The main flavor is a fairly strong herbaceous with a little bit of mint at the end, although that might depend on the amount of leaves you used.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
For the record, I quit smoking a couple years back, but when I've got smokers in the house, I'll let the smokers smoke in the kitchen (very large window, and separated from rest of the apartment), or out a window if so inclined. If it's a party, and there's other nonsmokers around, I'll open up the windows in the bedroom and let 'em use that room.

Walking up four flights of stairs to get to my apartment is bad enough. Having to do so to scratch a nic fix is cruel. It's not like the cigarette smoke is going to magically get into my walls and never leave. It airs out in a few hours tops, and I'm back to my smoke-free apartment. Is the thing about having a smoker's room not done anymore? I remember as a kid that even houses of nonsmokers had a room where guests could go and light up.

Not in our house, of course. As Brahmins, my parents had the moral superiority smugness taught to them from birth, so no alcohol could enter the house, no cigarettes, no nothing fun, etc, but I do recall friends's houses where someone who's got a cigarette need could go light up, and then come back and join everyone when they were done. Puppy's family is like that too. When I was visiting (as a smoker) in the dead of winter, they weren't about to ask my Floridian rear end to go out in the minus eleventythousand temperatures, and offered to let me smoke inside. I compromised, and offered to take it to the basement, rather than light up indoors during the winter when they couldn't air out the house.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

dino. posted:

For the record, I quit smoking a couple years back, but when I've got smokers in the house, I'll let the smokers smoke in the kitchen (very large window, and separated from rest of the apartment), or out a window if so inclined. If it's a party, and there's other nonsmokers around, I'll open up the windows in the bedroom and let 'em use that room.

Walking up four flights of stairs to get to my apartment is bad enough. Having to do so to scratch a nic fix is cruel. It's not like the cigarette smoke is going to magically get into my walls and never leave. It airs out in a few hours tops, and I'm back to my smoke-free apartment. Is the thing about having a smoker's room not done anymore? I remember as a kid that even houses of nonsmokers had a room where guests could go and light up.

Not in our house, of course. As Brahmins, my parents had the moral superiority smugness taught to them from birth, so no alcohol could enter the house, no cigarettes, no nothing fun, etc, but I do recall friends's houses where someone who's got a cigarette need could go light up, and then come back and join everyone when they were done. Puppy's family is like that too. When I was visiting (as a smoker) in the dead of winter, they weren't about to ask my Floridian rear end to go out in the minus eleventythousand temperatures, and offered to let me smoke inside. I compromised, and offered to take it to the basement, rather than light up indoors during the winter when they couldn't air out the house.

Sorry, but smoking inside is gross. Go out to the garage or something.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

TECHNICAL Thug posted:

Sorry, but smoking inside is gross. Go out to the garage or something.

He lives in Manhattan, you think he has a garage?

I love smoking cigars and hookah inside, but I rarely get the chance to do the former.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
If someone was polite about it, I would probably let them smoke crack in my bathroom just as long as they climb into the tub first.