Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercurius
May 4, 2004

Amp it up.

Martytoof posted:

I don't know, my ML VM is at work and I'm not there right now. Somehow I doubt it, though.

Posted mostly for the benefit of someone who might be interested in trying Fusion without paying for it until October. Not sure what you're using now so I can't really comment on whether it'll be better or not.
The 3D acceleration thing is off by default when making an OS X VM. I toggled it on but I don't know if it actually does anything.

I've found Fusion more reliable in general than Parallels for OS X VMs as I tend to get weird stuff happening in Parallels like changing the resolution will increase the size the VM is on screen but doesn't appear to scale the area the mouse clicks are registered in which makes it difficult to actually do anything on the VM unless it's fullscreened. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I've found both Lion and Mountain Lion VMs work better in Fusion and work significantly better in the Tech Preview.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
Is there a way to make a Ram Disk in Lion that is larger than 1.5GB? Perhaps more along the lines of 12GB? Preferably ExFat or whatever Lion's default file system is.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Ok, this is annoying. I think this started with 10.7.4, but I'm not sure.

My Mac App Store is bugged. Specifically, neither the section buttons nor the search bar work. The top buttons just turn color on click (so I can light up all five at once), and the search bar does nothing. I can use the browser part just fine, but I can't search. This is quite annoying considering I want to capitalize on the Coda 2 discount when it comes out Thursday. Anyone had this issue?

LAchristus
Aug 14, 2006

Don't you know pump it up! YOU'VE GOT TO PUMP IT UP!!!
Tried search, was an idiot about it, couldn't find anything.

I am trying to figure out a way to make an automatic backup, from my external Drobo hard drive to an internal drive on my computer, as a security backup incase anything spontaneously combusts. The Drobo is connected to an Airport Extreme, because we need to be able to access it from two computers. The impeccable TimeMachine cannot back-up from the Drobo it seems - I can't even exclude it :aaa:

I know there most likely is a lot of workarounds to this problems - but right now I would just like to have a pretty quick fix to this problem - we are working on setting up RAID.

So let me know if anyone are more clever than I.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

LAchristus posted:

Tried search, was an idiot about it, couldn't find anything.

I am trying to figure out a way to make an automatic backup, from my external Drobo hard drive to an internal drive on my computer, as a security backup incase anything spontaneously combusts. The Drobo is connected to an Airport Extreme, because we need to be able to access it from two computers. The impeccable TimeMachine cannot back-up from the Drobo it seems - I can't even exclude it :aaa:

I know there most likely is a lot of workarounds to this problems - but right now I would just like to have a pretty quick fix to this problem - we are working on setting up RAID.

So let me know if anyone are more clever than I.

Carbon Copy Cloner, SuperDuper, or ChronoSync.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Crush posted:

Is there a way to make a Ram Disk in Lion that is larger than 1.5GB? Perhaps more along the lines of 12GB? Preferably ExFat or whatever Lion's default file system is.

$ diskutil erasevolume HFS+ "ramdisk" `hdiutil attach -nomount ram://4165430`
Started erase on disk3
Unmounting disk
Erasing
Initialized /dev/rdisk3 as a 2 GB HFS Plus volume
Mounting disk
Finished erase on disk3 ramdisk
$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/disk0s2 223Gi 50Gi 173Gi 23% /
devfs 191Ki 191Ki 0Bi 100% /dev
/dev/disk3 2.0Gi 12Mi 2.0Gi 1% /Volumes/ramdisk

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Bob Morales posted:

Safari is being a little bitch lately and freezing up. 'Safari Web Content' is consistently hogging 20-89% of the CPU and keeps making Safari beachball until I force quit, it's been doing this all day.

:argh: I don't want to restart.

It seems like it does it every time I go to my local newspaper - https://www.mlive.com

Many other newspapers are owned by the same company, and their sites are the same. Anyone else have that issue?

Version 5.1.7 (7534.57.2)

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

Bob Morales posted:

$ diskutil erasevolume HFS+ "ramdisk" `hdiutil attach -nomount ram://4165430`
Started erase on disk3
Unmounting disk
Erasing
Initialized /dev/rdisk3 as a 2 GB HFS Plus volume
Mounting disk
Finished erase on disk3 ramdisk
$ df -h
Filesystem Size Used Avail Capacity Mounted on
/dev/disk0s2 223Gi 50Gi 173Gi 23% /
devfs 191Ki 191Ki 0Bi 100% /dev
/dev/disk3 2.0Gi 12Mi 2.0Gi 1% /Volumes/ramdisk

D'oh! I was doing this but I was copy/pasting output from Calculator.app complete with commas and I think that's why I was having issues earlier. Thanks!

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Bob Morales posted:

It seems like it does it every time I go to my local newspaper - https://www.mlive.com

Many other newspapers are owned by the same company, and their sites are the same. Anyone else have that issue?

Version 5.1.7 (7534.57.2)
Got any extensions installed? I remember reading some leaked over time, and in my own experience I saw heavy lags with some sites with my extensions on but fine when off.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

japtor posted:

Got any extensions installed? I remember reading some leaked over time, and in my own experience I saw heavy lags with some sites with my extensions on but fine when off.

Nope, never installed any. I think it's this huge rear end Art Van Furniture ad.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Maybe try some blocking extension then :v:

For web dev goons, Coda 2 is out now with a launch sale price: http://www.panic.com/coda/

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

I am going to try using VB again, I think it was the wifi making it crash.

Wasn't the wifi driver. Turned airport off, plugged in wired ethernet, restaring my Ubuntu VM blew up the whole OS :(

Luckily with Lion + SSD I was back where I was in like 20 seconds.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I updated my late 2007 Macbook to 10.7.4 and Safari 5.1.7 last night, and now when I visit the forums I cant login. I click login, enter my credentials, click login, and it flashes the "thank you for logging in" screen then spits me back to the forums as a non-logged in visitor.

I installed Firefox on the laptop just to make sure that this was a Safari issue, and that got me to where I could browse SA. I would be relatively happy with Firefox except I want my web browser to be full screen. . .

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
Man, the new Coda is really slick.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Really interested in the preview-on-ipad feature, even though I do zero web development and don't actually plan to buy Coda.

Seems like an amazing idea.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Martytoof posted:

Really interested in the preview-on-ipad feature, even though I do zero web development and don't actually plan to buy Coda.

Seems like an amazing idea.

It is. I've been doing it for awhile now with Air Display. I would just stick the preview window on that "screen" and go to town.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I've had a problem with the Mail app for a while and I just realized that it's been bothering me while I happen to be reading this thread. Ever since I updated to Lion, Mail no longer makes a notification noise when I receive mail. I have tried changing which sound it is supposed to make, restarted the app, etc and nothing changes this. Does anyone have any suggestions? This happens on all 4 of my macs running the latest versions of Lion.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

timb posted:

It is. I've been doing it for awhile now with Air Display. I would just stick the preview window on that "screen" and go to town.
If it's rendering in the iPad's WebKit it's a bit different though, and particularly useful if you mean to test for iPad usability...they should probably release a viewer app for the iPhone too for that matter.

Koppite
Apr 10, 2007

The Land of Pleasant Living
Anyone have a recommendation for something I can install that will allow me to download video from websites? A la a download helper for PC.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

10.7.4 users:

If you go to Finder -> About Finder, does it say "Finder version 10.7.3" for you as well?

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

My Macintosh Desktop Experience is lagging behind the OS.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Panic! At The cisco posted:

The Macintosh Desktop Experience

Does it not give you a version number underneath? :(

I'm trying to file a bug report and I just wanted to see if this was my system that's hosed up or if everyone's says 10.7.3

Sneaking Mission
Nov 11, 2008

It' s 10.7.3, buddy.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's quite the desktop experience!

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
Finder version has always been independent of OS version.

OS X 10.4.11 runs Finder 10.4.7.
OS X 10.5.6 runs Finder 10.5.8.
OS X 10.6.6 runs Finder 10.6.7.
OS X 10.7.3 runs Finder 10.7.2.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 01:30 on May 25, 2012

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Sounds good. I haven't actually ever looked at the Finder version before, so it seemed suspicious that it was one revision back from the OS. Glad to know it's not just me though, thanks!

One could argue that they could have chosen a less confusing version scheme for something not tied to the OS release version.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
I have a lot of Flac, Mostly from ripping it from my collection. I would like to play these files and not re-encode or re-rip them. Enqueue is having the endless rescanning issue. What to do?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is there any way to have Skype NOT show the "Skype Home" tab by default? Or switch the default on-app-open tab to be "Contacts"?

The "Skype Home" tab is ridiculously useless to me. I have two contacts I talk to regularly and I really only want to see if they're online or not when I launch Skype, not look at some social media feed.

Of course googling for "skype home" is literally useless in this case since that is far too common a term to yield specific suggestions in this case.

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

Ok, I hope this is the right thread.

My gf has a old, white plastic, macbook, 2.4ghz. Not sure what model right now.

She's running Mac OS X 10.5.8. Is there any way to upgrade that? How does one go about doing that? I heard somewhere about a free upgrad to a version that has the app store. Would her comp improve with a new version? Or is it too old?

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

jwoven posted:

I have a lot of Flac, Mostly from ripping it from my collection. I would like to play these files and not re-encode or re-rip them. Enqueue is having the endless rescanning issue. What to do?

Cog and VLC should be able to play them.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

jwoven posted:

Just let iTunes covert it all to ALAC.

japtor posted:

If it's rendering in the iPad's WebKit it's a bit different though, and particularly useful if you mean to test for iPad usability...they should probably release a viewer app for the iPhone too for that matter.

I'd rather it render in desktop Safari to be honest, unless I'm specifically writing a mobile site. Air Display is an amazing tool for design. I can keep photoshop palettes on my portable touch screen (aka iPad), live preview sites, keep code snippets up. It's awesome to walk into a coffee shop, pull out my MBA and iPad and be able to do just as much work as I could on my old triple monitor Mac Pro setup.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Sistergodiva posted:

She's running Mac OS X 10.5.8. Is there any way to upgrade that? How does one go about doing that? I heard somewhere about a free upgrad to a version that has the app store. Would her comp improve with a new version? Or is it too old?

The free version to 10.6 is only for Mobile Me subscribers.

If she isn't one then you will have to buy the USB stick version of 10.7 for $70 I believe.
Or buy a second hand copy of 10.6 on eBay or something, but those are pricey.

How much RAM does it have? I might not benefit 10.7 which is quite RAM hungry. 10.6 ought to be better than 10.5 on any hardware though.

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 13:34 on May 25, 2012

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Sistergodiva posted:

Based on the GHz I'm assuming it's an Intel chip, if so you can install Snow Leopard (10.6) from a disc. I have no idea if they're still available anywhere, they used to be $30. From there, you can further upgrade that to 10.7 for another $30 through the Mac App Store, although that requires a 64-bit chip (at least a Core TWO Duo; a "Core Duo" chip maxes out at 10.6). Alternatively, if 10.7 is supported you can buy it directly on a USB key from Apple for I think $70.

univbee fucked around with this message at 14:03 on May 25, 2012

Sistergodiva
Jan 3, 2006

I'm like you,
I have no shame.

univbee posted:

Based on the GHz I'm assuming it's an Intel chip, if so you can install Snow Leopard (10.6) from a disc. I have no idea if they're still available anywhere, they used to be $30. From there, you can further upgrade that to 10.7 for another $30 through the Mac App Store, although that requires a 64-bit chip (at least a Core TWO Duo; a "Core Duo" chip maxes out at 10.6). Alternatively, if 10.7 is supported you can buy it directly on a USB key from Apple for I think $70.

Thanks! She said it was the best non-pro macbook avalible when she got it.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

You guys, Snow Leopard is still available from Apple. It's Leopard that's hard to find legitimately.

And you could go for the USB stick if your machine supports Lion but 1) 10.5 -> 10.7 means you will have to erase and install, rather than archive and install without losing the contents of your machine, and 2) you won't own it on the App Store which may get awkward if you need to reinstall.

TACD fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 25, 2012

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

TACD posted:

You guys, Snow Leopard is still available from Apple.

quote:

It's the world's most advanced operating system

I was going to say, they forgot to update the product description but it's still true :smug:

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

Bob Morales posted:

I was going to say, they forgot to update the product description but it's still true :smug:

Too bad Apple got greedy with iOS. Maybe we would have had ZFS on OS X by now.

gregday
May 23, 2003

AmbassadorTaxicab posted:

Maybe we would have had ZFS on OS X by now.

Not going to happen. Legal issues.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
EDIT: ^^ Also, this

AmbassadorTaxicab posted:

Too bad Apple got greedy with iOS. Maybe we would have had ZFS on OS X by now.

ZFS isn't the panacea to HFS+ that everyone thinks it is. But that's a discussion for a whole other thread. It runs like rear end on single drive machines unless you have gobs of RAM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

LmaoTheKid posted:

It runs like rear end on single drive machines unless you have gobs of RAM.

Hurr like OS X right