Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Erwin Tuwonwon
Oct 30, 2011

zari-gani posted:

Quiet! I'm trying to think of the punniest venetian blind company name possible.

Blind Jalousie. Shutter to Think. A Shady Friend For Toujima Days.

Need any more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Heran Bago posted:

Ugh this is way too expensive but I have to have it.

The blinds or the DVD?

Japanese DVDs are always stupidly expensive even before the import fees (on that note some of you may want to keep an eye on PlayAsia since they may sell a few copies).

I'm hoping the extended USA special is more stuff from the fan event rather than extra Robocop footage. Hopefully the extra challenge is a great one...

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The extra challenge will clearly be Doom on SNES.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to
Just got into the series a few days ago and wanted to thank the SA translation team for allowing me to experience this.

Can anyone give me a good recommendation on some of the harder episodes? I've seen Ninja Gaiden 2, Adventure island, Prince of Persia, man, that poo poo is killer.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Rap Music and Dope posted:

Just got into the series a few days ago and wanted to thank the SA translation team for allowing me to experience this.

Can anyone give me a good recommendation on some of the harder episodes? I've seen Ninja Gaiden 2, Adventure island, Prince of Persia, man, that poo poo is killer.

Castlevania 3. I think it's the most pained Arino has ever looked.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Punch Out, maybe? It certainly kicked his rear end around, and I sure as hell never managed to beat it. (:smith:)

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Gutcruncher posted:

Castlevania 3. I think it's the most pained Arino has ever looked.

That drat game might be the most pained I've ever looked while playing a game. That drat falling blocks room...

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I remember there being some challenge where Arino says hits a figurative wall and says something like "Ugh, I am just completely in despair," and then the Kan voice-over is all "'Complete Despair!' Not even when facing Ninja Gaiden were these words uttered!!"

I can't remember the game, but I remember laughing like an idiot at that moment, because it didn't seem like that hard of a game, just a terrible and boring one. Does anyone else remember this?

Primoman
Jan 23, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Takeshi's Castle has him experiencing crippling physical pain.

So much so that I wish there was fan-art of him bandaged up in a bad-rear end Anime spoof sort of way.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

The blinds or the DVD?

Japanese DVDs are always stupidly expensive even before the import fees (on that note some of you may want to keep an eye on PlayAsia since they may sell a few copies).

I'm hoping the extended USA special is more stuff from the fan event rather than extra Robocop footage. Hopefully the extra challenge is a great one...

The DVD and yeah I know. I hope it has more stuff from the fan event or San Francisco trip because they really cut out a good deal to make it fit into the time slot.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to

Doc Hawkins posted:

I remember there being some challenge where Arino says hits a figurative wall and says something like "Ugh, I am just completely in despair," and then the Kan voice-over is all "'Complete Despair!' Not even when facing Ninja Gaiden were these words uttered!!"

I can't remember the game, but I remember laughing like an idiot at that moment, because it didn't seem like that hard of a game, just a terrible and boring one. Does anyone else remember this?

Edit: I'm watching thw Castlevania episode and it's this one. ^
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTpSGJyHHQs
skip to 38:25

Yeah, I remember one where Arino was like "this some poo poo.... but no Ninja Gaiden!"
The truly amazing feats on this show are the people that aren't Arino. Love when a dude is just like "I'm the one thats supposed to be good at this game" and picks up the controller and just clears the stage. There are games I have incredible knowledge about but the timing/reaction based mechanics in these older games make it that much more difficult and cool.

Thanks for all the recs guys I'll definitely check out Castlevania 3. One thing I've noticed a lot in the series is to make a platforming game hard just abuse the players limited vision. All these games have small tiny enemies placed exactly where the player will react to, Adventure Island and Kid Kool are some major bullshit.

Rap Music and Dope fucked around with this message at 09:15 on May 25, 2012

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Since you know that you like the show I've got to recommend trying some of the episodes about strange, obscure Japanese games. A lot of people like these episodes since they get to experience the game the same way Arino does. The quiz quadrilogy has to be seen, Go By Train is a great one for the staff, Takeshi's Castle is played with a power pad, and Bio Miracle is an epic.

SuperMarrio
Mar 26, 2005

Those who live by capitalism must be prepared to die by it.

I just spent the last five consecutive nights watching Game Center CX via the ancientcircle YouTube playlist on my 360. Thank you, SAGCCX team for your amazing subtitle work, and for making a really lonely week much more tolerable. I think I rewatched the Densha de Go episode like six times. I love the segment where they compete with each other for their choir of lunch boxes- I am always so disappointed in Abe's performance! Regardless, Abe is the ultimate badass.

McLaglen posted:

Sentinel and Caitlin: Add 0946-2283-6120 to your lists, and you should have the stationery within a day.

Make sure you've actually unlocked the Stationery function first (by creating and saving 5 notes), otherwise it won't work.

Also, if you're missing anything else listed here, they can be sent to you as well.

I would really, really love this, as well as any other awesome stationery if possible- my 3ds code is 1375-7754-2438. I hope it's not too presumptuous if I already added you to my friends list McLaglen. Also, if any other gccx goons wanna add me, ill be sure to return the favor.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

Erwin Tuwonwon posted:

Blind Jalousie. Shutter to Think. A Shady Friend For Toujima Days.

Need any more?

I thought of a good one for this one at least -- Shutter East Island. (Toujima means "east island")

When it comes to recommending episodes to people it comes down to what they like best in the show. If you like...

...watching a man suffer through a hard game: Ghosts'n Goblins, Ninja Gaiden, Castlevania 3, The Quest of Ki, 53 Stations, The Genji and the Heike Clans, Kid Kool

...Arino yelling at the game characters: Clock Tower, S.O.S., Pac-Man 2

...staff participation: The Feudal Lord's Ambition, Adventure Quiz, Go By Train, Bomberman

...plot-based games: Tokimeki Memorial, Hokkaido Serial Murders, Night of the Sickle Weasel

...Inoko MAX: Umihara Kawase, Contra, Bonanza Brothers

...Arino being confounded by a game's bizarreness: Out of this World, Bio Miracle, Zombie Nation

...arcade trips: Northernmost Game Travelogue, South Korea Trip, Cannes Film Festival Trip, GCCX in USA

And so forth and so forth.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

This is interesting. Arino's Twitter reaction about the GCCX in USA DVD was "what?! Again without discussing it with me?" I thought it was a joke, but then I looked at his latest blog post.

Quick translation:
------------------------------
http://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B00856TLQ0

Looks like it's coming out the last day of summer break.
Yes.
I did not know about this.
And, looking at Amazon, here's something that bothers me.
I found this in the product description.

Under "Contents" I found this.

Game Center CX in USA Director's Cut Edition
Arino's Challenge previously unreleased on DVD
Arino's Challenge previously unaired on TV

What?!
"Arino's Challenge previously unreleased on DVD"

Huh?! What's that?
"Arino's Challenge previously unaired on TV"!!??

Unreleased and unaired?? That's two! Do we have that many?
Can't they just throw in the entirety of the the "Super Monkey Adventures" segment and call it a day?

Guess that means we'll be filming them.
Within summer break: film, edit, produce, package, deliver.
Is there enough time until the end of summer?!
I might be scrambling this summer like a grade schooler!
So please finish your summer break homework by the 30th!!
I will finish mine by mid-July!
Look forward to its delivery!

And in an earlier blog entry...

On Twitter I said "for real?!" but,
[screenshot of the "GCCX in Touhoku-Iwate" news shown on TV]
I'm being taken there, apparently.
What will I be doing and for how long?
I have no idea.
Because they never tell me.
But during filming, they'll say things like,
"When this airs it will have already happened so please give us your thoughts."
And I say, "That's impossible!"

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 25, 2012

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

zari-gani posted:

Translation: "Game Center CX in USA will be released on DVD! The illustration drawn by Nina will be used for the packaging. Chock full of footage that didn't make it into the broadcast... We will present them little by little in the show!"

There's actually one more surprise from me coming up. You'll never guess what it is.

I'm late on this but ohmygod congratulations! You must be so excited. I'd be so honored to have my art work be used like that. It's perfect.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I wonder if those blog posts are basically just Arino staying in that character of the hapless host of some low-rent television show that's just designed to torture him.

Also, for extra insanity, click on the 415 link. It's nothing but Arino posting things that relate to 415, whether it's a shot of a computer clock taken at 4:15, or a road sign that says 415, or god knows what. It's kind of scary. I don't want to know what 415 means to Arino.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
415 can be phonetically pronounced Yo-I-Ko in Japanese, like his comedy team.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Can't they just throw in the entirety of the the "Super Monkey Adventures" segment and call it a day?

Oh, Arino. They already did that for DVD Set 2.

Wouldn't the unreleased on DVD challenge be Robocop? Unless I'm completely misreading the situation.

I'm kind of hoping they double up on him again with the second challenge. One "short" challenge of a game that isn't really fit for a TV episode followed up by a revenge challenge.

Random Stranger fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 25, 2012

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

Cemetry Gator posted:

I wonder if those blog posts are basically just Arino staying in that character of the hapless host of some low-rent television show that's just designed to torture him.

That's what I was wondering. It's probably the case, and that's pretty awesome.

Random Stranger posted:

Wouldn't the unreleased on DVD challenge be Robocop? Unless I'm completely misreading the situation.

Maybe, though wouldn't they list it as Robocop then? If the mentioned above is true then that's probably his way of saying there will be two new DVD challenges.

In other news, for what it's worth, Nakayama posted his friend code on Twitter...
4167-5338-9397

Also, the DVD is currently #1 on Amazon.co.jp under "comedy" and #9 in DVDs overall, though I have a feeling that's not saying much -- at that price, how popular are DVD sales there? Anyone know?

zari-gani fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 25, 2012

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

zari-gani posted:

Also, the DVD is currently #1 on Amazon.co.jp under "comedy" and #9 in DVDs overall, though I have a feeling that's not saying much -- at that price, how popular are DVD sales there? Anyone know?

I think I recall an episode where GCCX receives some big award for selling 50,000 copies of one of their dvds. Something like that anyway. So, sales are probably not too high there.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

GCCX boxes always top Amazon when they're announced, but yeah, I dunno what it says about the market. I'm sure it's a lot of people's only way to watch the show though.

Heavy neutrino
Sep 16, 2007

You made a fine post for yourself. ...For a casualry, I suppose.

What the hell did that guy do to the game? He messes around in the menu, saving and reloading for five minutes, and then suddenly Crono is level 0, Magus is in the party and none of the scripting works?

Benly
Aug 2, 2011

20% of the time, it works every time.

Heavy neutrino posted:

What the hell did that guy do to the game? He messes around in the menu, saving and reloading for five minutes, and then suddenly Crono is level 0, Magus is in the party and none of the scripting works?

He explains it in more detail in his speedrun notes, but basically when he's repeatedly resetting at the start he's actually doing it halfway through the save process and reloading a partly-broken save. He uses this to duplicate items for a second bug where doing certain things to an overloaded item menu will throw garbage data into another part of the game's memory, and by controlling what garbage data gets thrown where he can basically force the game to glitch out in his favor. Or that's what I understand of it, at least.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Heavy neutrino posted:

I remember seeing a glitch run of Pokémon that involved exploiting bugs in the way data is stored and written to memory that allow the user/cause the game to access RAM addresses at inappropriate moments and write certain values to them that would never be written to them. Pokémon in particular is rife with these bugs due to the sheer number of things the game has to keep track of on essentially NES hardware and all of the technical trickery needed to make it all work. Saving the game in particular lets you really mess with things.

EDIT: Beaten with a more immediately relevant post.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

zari-gani posted:

What will I be doing and for how long?
I have no idea.
Because they never tell me.
But during filming, they'll say things like,
"When this airs it will have already happened so please give us your thoughts."
And I say, "That's impossible!"
Ahaha! I love the show's cheap feel, but it is even better if it is really this haphazardly shot and slapped together. I realize Arino is probably joking here, but I choose to believe.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

I found this listing for Discotek's DVD... $59.95.

http://www.ada-music.com/release?id=adarelease198974199&config=adarconfig198972316

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

I know this looks bad, but maybe this store is like an FYE (an absurdly over-priced media store that charged $30 for new cds and movies). I can't seriously see them expecting this to sell at these prices.

Uznare
Jul 15, 2010

It's not animation, but the real stories!

Vlaphor posted:

I know this looks bad, but maybe this store is like an FYE (an absurdly over-priced media store that charged $30 for new cds and movies). I can't seriously see them expecting this to sell at these prices.

That's the MSRP for every single multi-disc Discotek release. Amazon sells them for cheaper though.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Uznare posted:

That's the MSRP for every single multi-disc Discotek release. Amazon sells them for cheaper though.

That's better. That would've been out of my price range otherwise.

SirLarr
Mar 21, 2003

High tech, low class.
Forgive the derail, but I finally got the go-ahead to do something I've been pushing for a while.

Next Tuesday (May 29), I got a 2-hour time slot on our Machinima livestream to do a RETRO GAME CHALLENGE (da daaa~).

I shamelessly stole the format from Game Center CX. The idea is that we have two hours to beat an NES game, otherwise we're going to have our lips waxed by a very vindictive female host.

Here's the part I love though - viewers can vote on the game we have to play, and while we're trying to beat it, they can submit tips, hints, and maps through Faceboook. Our only resource on the stream will be the hints and info the viewers are providing.

I really hope it goes well, and I hope it captures the tension and charm of GameCenter. What do you guys think?

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

There must be bad dry-erase marker drawings.

Jimmy Colorado
Apr 16, 2010
I say go for it. But with the caveat that Arino's live challenges were among the most-disliked according to that 2chan thread zari-gani graciously translated for us! Haha!

Plus, it has to be a game that's beatable within a couple of hours, but that's hard enough that you don't just blow through it on the first time through (when was the last time you played Contra? Without the Konami code, for example?).

I think the greatest strength of the show, other than Arino's wit, is the editing. Imagine being in the room when Arino sits there silently dieing over and over again. For hours. Probably not that entertaining. And Arino is a top-shelf comedian with decades under his belt.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl

SirLarr posted:

Forgive the derail, but I finally got the go-ahead to do something I've been pushing for a while.

Next Tuesday (May 29), I got a 2-hour time slot on our Machinima livestream to do a RETRO GAME CHALLENGE (da daaa~).

I shamelessly stole the format from Game Center CX. The idea is that we have two hours to beat an NES game, otherwise we're going to have our lips waxed by a very vindictive female host.

Here's the part I love though - viewers can vote on the game we have to play, and while we're trying to beat it, they can submit tips, hints, and maps through Faceboook. Our only resource on the stream will be the hints and info the viewers are providing.

I really hope it goes well, and I hope it captures the tension and charm of GameCenter. What do you guys think?

Post your moustache, I want to see what's at stake here

SirLarr
Mar 21, 2003

High tech, low class.

redmercer posted:

Post your moustache, I want to see what's at stake here

You actually can't have super long hair when you wax. Otherwise the wax won't get low enough and will just break the hair instead of pulling it out. I'll have about a week's worth of stubble.

I totally agree about the editing though. I'm hoping two hours is short enough to avoid burnout, and that the live / audience participation aspect of it will help.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

zari-gani posted:

Now that I think about it, I guess in a pretty indirect way I will get to team up with a notable staff member. That's all I'll say.

Oh man I hope you're doing a GCCX manga with Kibe. :allears: That other one was great, but it was hard to tell who everyone was.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
Just started watching the show this week and I'm lovin' it so far. Great job on the translation!

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Gutcruncher posted:

The extra challenge will clearly be Doom on SNES.

I would be so happy to see this, I was crushed when they couldn't get the SNES Cartridge to work in that game.

ZackHoagie
Dec 25, 2007

now eat him.
Ahahahah the In-N-Out they stopped at couldn't be more then a 5 minute walk from my house. gently caress.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
Here is some footage from the end of episode #140 about the GCCX in USA DVD.

Hint for next episode(#141).

Screen caps about DVD for GCC in USA Special.

@zarigani
Could you translate the hint for the next episode and tell us what the last screenshot is saying.