Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

nsaP posted:

Guys I've found it's a lot easier to just tell z3n he's right when he comes at ya with a few paragraphs.

Well now you're just reinforcing my lovely behavior.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
You guys spend too much time in CA and have all started having your boy periods together.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Mcqueen posted:

You guys spend too much time in CA and have all started having your boy periods together.

Come let me dab you with our ceremonial war paint

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Oh sorry I was being calm bro and posting reasonably but I don't anyone to get confused, I still think z3n is a douche and annoying as gently caress.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Are you still mad about that time I called you a C group hero :3:

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?

Z3n posted:

Are you still mad about that time I called you a C group hero :3:

No I'm still mad about that every single time you post.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

HNasty posted:

No I'm still mad about that every single time you post.

Jesus I must be taking years off your lifespan.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
So back on the topic of perfect beginner bike, can we just all agree that the Buell Blast is the best thing out there?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

So back on the topic of perfect beginner bike, can we just all agree that the Buell Blast is the best thing out there?

I find it's pleasing cube shape really makes it the best chair to sit and post on the internet from.

vvvvv TAKE THAT vvvvv

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

^^^^DAMMIT

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
New to riding and want to know what to get? Is it the last week of the month and everyong in Cycle Asylum is talking nonsensical about wanting to polish aluminum with a half eaten Hershey bar and manpon, or wants to clean their carbs with the vinegar from a half eaten jar of pickles? Just get a used DRZ400SM, SV650, or FZ6 and keep everyone happy, also comment on how nice Z3n's new hairdoo looks. ;-*

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Spiffness posted:

This is terrible advice. Do not buy a 690 duke for your first bike. It is the liter bike of supermoto's (SM standards). They are twitchy, explosively fast, razor sharp chassis that do not forgive pansy behavior but reward hooning and being ridden 100%. You will have just the biggest crash if you buy one of these as your first bike and you'll never even know what happened. Duke 690's are probably one of the greatest and most under appreciated bikes of all time but don't let the HP number fool you, in this case 65 HP 'like an SV' is NOTHING like an SV.

Dang yo what happened?

And what is this IRC thing? You kids and your internets, I don't know.

I like those aspects of the 690. I have ridden them and I did own a 640 Duke - but I guess it could be a bit much depending on confidence level.

Remember that this isn't some guy doing a one-day course or something to learn how not to fall off at walking pace. :911: He's doing the direct access test, which means he's not a 17 year old squid from Skunk's Balls, MS. He's done a theory test, a CBT, he'll probably have done a fair amount of training for the mod 1 in addition to the test and will be doing some more for the mod 2, including lots of road riding on an ER-6n, which isn't exactly a 50cc scooter.

I think he could manage at least a demo ride if it sounds like it's of interest, and then if it is too much, he'll get a nice bandit or something IDK.

Anyway, ReformedNIceGuy, all the bikes we're talking about (including the fire-breathing KTMs) will be quite happy blatting over the Pennines (lucky you, except when it's raining!).

Like I said, to me the 2007+ Hornet is pretty exceptional in its ability to calmly purr along in a law abiding manner without tempting you to misbehave. But at the same time, being able to go fairly mental if you're in the mood. For 2500, you should be able to get a good 2005 or 2006 Hornet, which is an older series, but does have the same decent forks and more modern instruments. The old bikes were also legendary, albeit I still think if you stretch to 3000 quid, you can find a non-ABS 2007 which will be a better bike overall. Your depreciation loss is not going to be hugely different putting out that extra 500 quid.

If you're looking to spend less and are comparing an older Hornet, SV650S (the one with the screen), Bandit or ER-6n, I personally would probably go for the Hornet as having the widest range of abilities as standard, being widely available and easiest to resell. I'd put the SV and the ER-6n/f on level pegging. The SV's better built, FWIW. But you really just need to go do some demo rides once you get through the mod 2.

As far as where to shop, yeah, biketrader, also e-bay, pistonheads, MCN. Also look at model-specific forums and see if there are any bike forums local to you where the bikes will be known to people.

Only other thing that occurs to me is your age and where you live - have you checked out insurance costs? It might be a deciding factor given you're a new licence holder with no bike NCB.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

As I mentioned earlier I'm learning on a 600 (ER-6n) already and my instructor recommended the Hornet and the Bandit to me. The bike is going to be my day to day commuter and needs to be able to handle motorway miles at the weekend - my extended family lives on the other side of the Pennines (big rear end range of hills that divides Northern England) - so I'd want something that wouldn't struggle with the climb over them in either direction too.

No bike > 250cc will struggle with any of that. the bandit is a grand starter bike, they're common as muck, parts easy to get. bit of a porker but they can hustle along at extra-legal speeds no problem.
any of the mid range 500-650cc standards will be pretty much the same in terms of handling/speeds comfort. buy the one you like the looks of and can afford

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

n8r posted:

Nope - we actually chat quite a bit in there.

I think some of the hate that comes from people that reads these forums in big chunks is because some posters feel the need to jerk themselves off about how amazing their riding skills are and how much hooning they do and how brutal their bike is every 3rd post. It sorta feels like they have to show off their riding edong every time they make a post. The fact that I have z3n on ignore really helps this, but unfortunately people still quote him and then people in irc link to his posts and I get sucked in.

I love that you have to show off how much you have me on ignore but you just can't quit me :3:

McQueen, you noticed my new haircut, I didn't know you cared! :neckbeard:

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Cheap, comfortable upright riding position, bars, bars, bars, people really do ignore how important a set of good high leverage bars can be. Power really isn't that bit of a worry unless it's something nutty.

Bixington
Feb 27, 2011

made me feel all nippley inside my tittychest

Mcqueen posted:

This is not an empty quote.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Tenchrono posted:

So the rolling thunder bike thing for the veterans is coming through D.C. This weekend and since its only about 20 miles away I was thinking of going. Anyone ever done something like this before? I'd be scared of messing something up during what looks like a huge group ride.

So here is the Rolling Thunder experience:

First, you go to the Pentagon parking lot and sign in. When you get there determines where in line you go. First in, first out. This means you either get there at the crack of dawn and sit in the relative morning coolness for a few hours OR you get there later and sit in the late morning heat for a few hours. Next, once your place in the ride has finally started, you slowly ride a total of a few miles with less than a dozen corners. Then you're done.

So, I guess if you're okay sitting around in heat that will be approaching 90 degrees, go for it! Otherwise, just find a spot and take some pictures.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Endless Mike posted:

So here is the Rolling Thunder experience:

First, you go to the Pentagon parking lot and sign in. When you get there determines where in line you go. First in, first out. This means you either get there at the crack of dawn and sit in the relative morning coolness for a few hours OR you get there later and sit in the late morning heat for a few hours. Next, once your place in the ride has finally started, you slowly ride a total of a few miles with less than a dozen corners. Then you're done.

So, I guess if you're okay sitting around in heat that will be approaching 90 degrees, go for it! Otherwise, just find a spot and take some pictures.

This will me by route:
http://goo.gl/maps/k2xT

Go early, get some seafood and park there. Walk over to the start, take pictures, then walk to and take pics of the finish.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008

Saga posted:

... More awesome ...

Thanks again Saga. I was already leaning towards the Hornet and you're doing a pretty good job of selling me on it. I'll definitely test ride a few things before making a final decision on anything though.

Insurance isn't too much of a worry, I'm 32 and the fully comp quotes I've been looking at all seem fairly reasonable, plus my little brother works for one of the big bike insurers and should be able to sort out some mates rates for me :)

Although I could just get the Duke! ;)

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

Thanks again Saga. I was already leaning towards the Hornet and you're doing a pretty good job of selling me on it. I'll definitely test ride a few things before making a final decision on anything though.

Insurance isn't too much of a worry, I'm 32 and the fully comp quotes I've been looking at all seem fairly reasonable, plus my little brother works for one of the big bike insurers and should be able to sort out some mates rates for me :)

If you're interested in big singles, don't do much motorway riding, and have an aprilia shop handy, you could look at a pegaso strada. Mine has been mostly reliable and it has been abused by winter salt and street parking and commuter neglect. Good ones can be had in your price range (and so can mine...). It's comfortable, great in town, and will do 90mph all day (but it isn't so great for that). Parts should get cheaper too because of the Euro.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

ReformedNiceGuy posted:

How bad could the Duke really be? :v:

For all the screwing around here though, Saga's leading you dead on. Hornets are good bikes, but not really common in the states, so you don't see them come up that often in the forums.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

n8r posted:

Nope - we actually chat quite a bit in there.

I think some of the hate that comes from people that reads these forums in big chunks is because some posters feel the need to jerk themselves off about how amazing their riding skills are and how much hooning they do and how brutal their bike is every 3rd post. It sorta feels like they have to show off their riding edong every time they make a post. The fact that I have z3n on ignore really helps this, but unfortunately people still quote him and then people in irc link to his posts and I get sucked in.

Man, why you gotta hit a snake

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
The real reason z3n didn't like irc is it only allows for a few sentences worth of text every time you type. His fillabuster method of posting didn't translate well to irc.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

n8r posted:

The real reason z3n didn't like irc is it only allows for a few sentences worth of text every time you type. His fillabuster method of posting didn't translate well to irc.

I actually left because n8r just couldn't take the sexual tension between us anymore, it was driving him crazy. I did the right thing and walked away before we played gay chicken and won.

Sometimes, n8r, I wonder if you realize how much you post about me. :allears:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
When you account for 50% of the total traffic of CA it's hard not to mention it.

Of course sagebrush has been giving you a run for your money.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I get so pissed when people post on Internet forums. Forums were never meant to be posted on!!!!!!!

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Y'all seem to be the only ones who are angry, not to mention obtuse. Or perhaps I'm a poor communicator if that's what you took from it. I'll just leave all the communicating here to z3n :)

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

Edit: nevermind.

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 26, 2012

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Who's angry? This entire thing is hilarious.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
Just got back from work on my 690... It was pretty bad-rear end, but I'm a loving ninja so I could handle it.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I'm hella pissed on and about the internet

velocross
Sep 16, 2007

Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco Disco
I'm so confused. I'm supposed to be mad about people talking about their bikes in the Motorcycle Discussion Thread? Must have missed that memo.

teknicolor
Jul 18, 2004

I Want to Meet That Dad!
Do Da Doo Doo
after all these years people are still complaining about z3n lol

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm surprised no one has ever gotten angry enough to buy z3n a new avatar.

Raven457
Aug 7, 2002
I bought Torquemada's torture equipment on e-bay!

Endless Mike posted:

... once your place in the ride has finally started, you slowly ride a total of a few miles with less than a dozen corners. Then you're done.

So, I guess if you're okay sitting around in heat that will be approaching 90 degrees, go for it!

This is pretty much how any big assed group ride or charity / benefit / poker run goes..
Yay, chrome parade!

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

teknicolor posted:

A big red SHUT THE gently caress UP might be pretty funny. I just re-bought myself my old avatar from ages ago. I'm pretty much tapped out for the month with that purchase.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

teknicolor posted:

Grandpa sigtrap, I don't like it when mommy and daddy fight.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Linedance posted:

If you're interested in big singles, don't do much motorway riding, and have an aprilia shop handy, you could look at a pegaso strada. Mine has been mostly reliable and it has been abused by winter salt and street parking and commuter neglect. Good ones can be had in your price range (and so can mine...). It's comfortable, great in town, and will do 90mph all day (but it isn't so great for that). Parts should get cheaper too because of the Euro.

As a fellow 'prilier owner, my issue would be waiting for parts (everything seems to come from a hub in France) and that at least for the Tuono, Aprilia just rip the piss with prices. Do you have a good dealer down your way (Devon was it?) - if that's not an oxymoron?

E: sorry, double post, phone posting. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Saga posted:

As a fellow 'prilier owner, my issue would be waiting for parts (everything seems to come from a hub in France) and that at least for the Tuono, Aprilia just rip the piss with prices. Do you have a good dealer down your way (Devon was it?) - if that's not an oxymoron?

E: sorry, double post, phone posting. :(

Would it be possible for you guys to order from AF1 in the states? They tend to have drat good prices and really quick shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

Would it be possible for you guys to order from AF1 in the states? They tend to have drat good prices and really quick shipping.

We have aprilia performance who are similar. No point waiting longer for shipping and then paying import duties and VAT on top of that.