Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
Also, any hiphop goons in Norway, my crew Sandpeople is doing a show with Slaughterhouse in Oslo today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
Muneshine's got a new album coming out on the 29th.

http://muneshine.bandcamp.com/album/there-is-only-today

I'm liking the Starter Jacket track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufTFicw8H8Q

I'll probably buy it, but I don't know if I my money can convert to Canadian beads or whatever they use up there.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

Bullet Proof posted:

i'm seeing him friday along with MED, then it's Ghostface and DOOM the week after. cant loving wait.

I wouldn't count on DOOM being there.

That Apollo Brown track is pretty nice. I finally got around to getting that Schoolboy Q album and it's real quality.

SOME PIG
Aug 12, 2004

Hittin' Switches,
Twistin' wigs with
Phat Radical Mathematical type Scriptures

THNDRTHF posted:

Also, any hiphop goons in Norway, my crew Sandpeople is doing a show with Slaughterhouse in Oslo today.

You're so low key about it. That's great, man! I still play the posse cut with the nice video from a couple years ago.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

dethkon posted:

You're so low key about it. That's great, man! I still play the posse cut with the nice video from a couple years ago.

Oh thanks man, preciate it!

And I hosed up its on the 26th :420:

Incorrect Username
Feb 21, 2011
Seeing Danny Brown tonight, excited as gently caress. For those who have seen him live before, does he play much Hybrid or Black and Brown songs or is it all off XXX?

KongGeorgeVII
Feb 17, 2009

Flow like a
harpoon
daily and nightly.

Bullet Proof posted:

i'm seeing him friday along with MED, then it's Ghostface and DOOM the week after. cant loving wait.

I wish I could afford to see DOOM, but I'm a poor student and my folio is due just before it and I'm not sureI have enough money to print that let alone buy an $80 ticket :/

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Can anyone recall a video that was posted in this thread which was two down south whit dudes rapping on a spaceship? It popped into my head the other day but I don't remember any details except on of the guys had a funny hat.

the_american_dream
Apr 12, 2008

GAHDAMN

Frot Lesnar posted:

Help settle a debate.

What is the word said at the beginning of MOP's Ante Up?

Rapadooo!

Spanish or something. I remember this being a thing when the producer or whatever was suing the WWE for John Cena's use

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

Can anyone recall a video that was posted in this thread which was two down south whit dudes rapping on a spaceship? It popped into my head the other day but I don't remember any details except on of the guys had a funny hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ybd6Tl5Jo4

Edit: New SL Jones tape produced by DJ Burn One

snyprmag fucked around with this message at 18:52 on May 23, 2012

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Unbootable posted:

Do you know what was up with Ugly Mane's last message on facebook? Is he retiring from the rap business? what's up?

just looked at it, it seems that he's going to release through the mail rather then digitally? sort of an odd step for a rapper that's just starting to get noticed

Diodeous
May 14, 2002

I think some of it might have to do with that Mr. Lil Ugly Mane was a somewhat prominent musician in the world of noise music and a lot of people were trying to connect his past work with his current work. Releasing without the internet adds to the mystique of Lil Ugly Mane and keeps his work esoteric enough that internet journalists, dickriders and haters have more distance.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
MF DOOM and Oh No: 3 Dollars
Best 1:30s of your life.

Bulging Nipples
Jan 16, 2006

I don't care if they're just loving around, I love this song, I love this video and I want more music from them

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
2222222CHAINZZZZZZZZZ http://illroots.com/2012/05/24/justin-bieber-boyfriend-remix-ft-2-chainz-mac-miller-asher-roth/

William Munny
Aug 16, 2005
He should have armed himself if he was goin' to decorate his establishment with my friend.
Whatever happened to that music video for "Live Fast Die Young" by Ross & Kanye? It was produced by Hype so I was pretty sure it was going to come out relatively quick but only the Behind The Scenes footage was put out. Any ideas?

I tweeted at Hype/Rozay/Yeezy but they didn't respond :3:

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u
I've always been sort of begrudgingly on the fence about Tyga but this song came on Pandora:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02Cppu0SI3Q
And while he's no Tupac or whatever this song was pretty cool, helps that there's a pretty sweet Nicki feature where she actually raps.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

New Gucci tape out today. I'm halfway through and its been all good aside from some crappy features (STOP LETTING CHRIS BROWN ON TRACKS!!!).
The Shawty Red beat on "Gymnast" is awesome.

youngallah
Mar 14, 2012
My big homie Kydd just got his album up on iTunes. It's got features from Yelawolf, Skyzoo, Pac Div, and GLC so if you haven't gotten up on it, check it out!

e: oh yeah, i produced track four and track seventeen. iGOONS

youngallah fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 25, 2012

Mosaic Perception
Sep 18, 2009

by XyloJW

This poo poo right here is amazing.

phractured
Feb 21, 2008

Everyone cop this. Really slept on album.

plainclothes goth
Jul 15, 2001
I like this one a lot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cFTNbDn2k4

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

It all makes sense now.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.
What about this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44zZvRIYRIg

It needs lyrics.

vanbags fucked around with this message at 17:30 on May 26, 2012

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
edit: disregard

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic

Mosaic Perception posted:

This poo poo right here is amazing.

and we know dad

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Thanks dude and of course the follow up of have they done anything else?

Lead By Example
Jul 17, 2009

I buy and resell Pokemon cards for a living. If you're ever looking to sell your childhood, please reach out!
Fallen Rib
Lupe's new song is pretty good, Around My Way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_aOjcm0zYUs

There is a lot of drama going around about where he got the beat. He more or less stole the beat from T.R.O.Y., but the song is still pretty good.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

Pete Rock was right. Don't copy, note for note, the greatest hiphop song of all time. Which I needed to add the note part because hiphop is about creative sample using, making new songs out of old ones. Lupe isn't sampling, he recreated the beat whole cloth and added some yeahs or hahs or whatever.

youngallah
Mar 14, 2012

Lupe didn't make the beat.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

He picked it. You think he was locked in a booth and had to rap his way out?

Malformed Dance Hut
Sep 7, 2010
Yea he didn't make it. I don't like Lupe Fiasco's version and I don't particularly like the original either. I know I don't have the same opinion as a lot of people, don't jump on me for it.

youngallah
Mar 14, 2012

temple posted:

He picked it. You think he was locked in a booth and had to rap his way out?

I just find it humorous that people are angry over an interpolation of a song. Isn't that what sampling is about? Pete is angry because that record had emotional importance to him, not because whoever produced that beat is a rip off artist - what's the difference between a cover song and sampling a loop and throwing some drums on it?

I personally see nothing wrong with the track. I'm not jamming it or anything, but I find it humorous that fans of an artform built off of jacking loops from 10-20 year old records are angry that a rapper released a song with a cover version of an older beat on it. Especially in 2012, where rappers are constantly reusing old, popular beats on mixtapes anyways. I literally can't count how many times I've heard rappers spit over the TROY beat.

e: also, it was probably the labels fault for that song being made and released just as much as it was lupes

youngallah fucked around with this message at 23:12 on May 26, 2012

temple
Jul 29, 2006

All Lupe had to do was invite Pete Rock to the studio, list his name as a producer, and cut him a $30,000 check out of his recording budget. That's all Pete wanted and that happens all the time. Lupe, Chill, and whoever else in on it thought they could get away with recreating someone's beat without paying dues, like literally paying for Pete Rock's blessing. Lupe could have got himself killed over this because hiphop doesn't play poo poo like that. That song is classic, if not THE CLASSIC. Making music is a struggle. A lot of pay offs, robberies, money laundering, rip-off labels, and whatnot lead to some of the songs you know and love. Lupe was taking a shortcut and got slapped down for it.

A lot of people have used either Jefferson Airplane or Tom Scott versions too. But its the way you arrange the song that makes it original and good. Its more than a cover if you aren't paying (literally) respect to the creator or you aren't doing something different with it.

edit: There is a lot of bullshit that happens behind the scenes and Lupe 'Mr Black America' is ripping off another brother. Its so hypocritical and he doesn't see how it looks to older or experienced hiphop heads.

temple fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 26, 2012

youngallah
Mar 14, 2012

temple posted:

Lupe could have got himself killed over this because hiphop doesn't play poo poo like that.

ok... i was with you until this.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

There is probably someone in NY right now getting his rear end beat over some hiphop poo poo. I'd guess 90% of hiphop beef is about money or something to that effect.

youngallah
Mar 14, 2012
dont get me wrong, i agree... they should have just paid pete rock to go along with it (tho i doubt he would have) ... i just dont think this dumb song is worth all the histrionics and debate.

also if we want to talk about bad looks for lupe the whole tribe called quest thing has to be tops

Budget Prefuse
Sep 26, 2011

Thanks for linking to this dude. Ended up buying the album and it's one of my favorites of 2012 so far.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I like Lupe but I'm annoyed by the biter syndrome that's popular. A mixtape is basically free so no one really cares. But if you make an album, you are getting a budget. That's real money and people start looking for their cut. If you think you won't be paying back favors or listing "Young Murder Dog" as an executive producer after getting your chain back, you'd be crazy. I started youtube researching a lot of stuff (primarily Maino) and its crazy how these dudes all know each other. That's why I figure Lupe thought he was slick and could get away with it. But like I said, if Pete didn't "forgive" him, I'd say Lupe would be in trouble in certain parts of NY. Imagine the number of people Pete Rock owes money to....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!

vanbags posted:

What about this one?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44zZvRIYRIg

It needs lyrics.

Lil Wayne's diss was garbage. Why didn't Drake respond?

• Locked thread