Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Any fruit tree is good. Cut em up into chunks (small to fist sized) and you can leave the bark on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
If I'm not mistaken you need to let them dry out-- for around 6 months in a dry place.

I light fires
May 12, 2001
The trimmings aren't kiln dry but they should be good enough for my purposes plus its just moisture so worse case scenario it just makes the smoke a little more humid and not completely dry

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Did turkey legs this week! A new one for me.

Four hours in a basic brine - salt, sugar, fistful of spices off the rack - then a pretty standard shakedown with salt/pepper. We did a hotter smoke on this because I'm paranoid with my poultry and also impatient, but we ran it at about 250-275 for a couple hours until meat hit 195. They were absolutely delicious and though I know some people dislike the ham feel you get out of turkey legs, we loved it. Not dried out at all. Plus, they're cheap! A leg is about a buck, and with a side, you're under $2/person/meal.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Lowe's is doing their $9.99 for 40# of Kingsford this weekend. I think Home Depot does something similar on Memorial Day weekend. Time to stock up again.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's

GroovinPickle posted:

Lowe's is doing their $9.99 for 40# of Kingsford this weekend. I think Home Depot does something similar on Memorial Day weekend. Time to stock up again.

They do it Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends. I bought 200lbs last labor day. I think I need to stock up on some more.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I'm stuck at paying 12.99 for a 16lb bag. It never goes on sale here and no one carries anything bigger than the 16lb. This sucks.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I usually cook ribs in my weber smokey mountain by putting them on the top rack and keeping it at 225 degrees for 6hrs or so. If I'm going to smoke 4 or 5lbs of steak, I just put it on the top rack but make the fire hotter, and don't really watch the temperature. The steak will take something like 2hrs this way.

This weekend I'd like to cook ribs and steak at the same time, I was thinking of just putting the steak (probably 4 or 5 lbs of top sirloin) on the middle rack of the bbq, then the ribs on the top, and cooking the way I usually cook ribs. Since the steak is thicker than the ribs, but cooking closer to the fire, I feel like this should even out and they'll both be done at somewhat similar times.

Anyone have a better idea of how to do both on one bbq?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Actually I think the top rack is hotter, especially if you're using water in your pan.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com

LTBS posted:

They do it Memorial Day and Labor Day weekends. I bought 200lbs last labor day. I think I need to stock up on some more.

Home Depot is doing 2 x 13.9 LB (27.8 LB) bags for $5.88, so 2 x 5.88 = $11.76 = 55.6 LB.
Think I may hit up Home Depot.

At least this is going by the ad on the website for my store.

Bone_Enterprise fucked around with this message at 22:31 on May 24, 2012

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

GroovinPickle posted:

I was at home depot getting pots yesterday and they had huge pallets of Kingsford in the garden section, but they haven't started the sale yet, as far as I can tell. I got a shitload a couple months ago, they were doing some spring sale, but 2x18.5 lb bags

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Here's my haul from last time.

Easychair Bootson
May 7, 2004

Where's the last guy?
Ultimo hombre.
Last man standing.
Must've been one.
Yeah, I got 160 pounds at Lowe's today for $40 plus tax. She said that you're only allowed two packs (80#) at a time, but she could just ring me up twice. :coal:

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
Now, when you're in walmart or home depot or the grocery store and you see what they normally price charcoal at (especially kingsford), your head will explode.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Goddammit they need to do a deal on Comp, I won't touch blue bag because of the start up smell.

LTBS
Oct 9, 2003

Big Pimpin, Spending the G's
I don't know how many of you people live near a Kroger grocery store, but they currently have their shoulder on sale for $0.99/lb. I picked up two yesterday and I'm probably going to pick up another 2 today. I'm doing two of them not smoked (one as a puerto rican recipe and the other as carnitas) and doing normal smoking with the other two.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

LTBS posted:

I don't know how many of you people live near a Kroger grocery store, but they currently have their shoulder on sale for $0.99/lb. I picked up two yesterday and I'm probably going to pick up another 2 today. I'm doing two of them not smoked (one as a puerto rican recipe and the other as carnitas) and doing normal smoking with the other two.

I checked this out and this is for picnics, not butts. Has anyone smoked a picnic before, and is it as good as a proper butt? If so, I might get a couple of these for the chest freezer.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Picnics are fine for pulled pork. Often you'll have to remove the skin (you don't have to, but it lets you hit more actual meat with rub), and they're often bigger than the butt section so they can take longer.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
Got 12 x 13.9 LB bags from Home Depot, I should be set for a while.

AHugeDickhead
Dec 8, 2008
Wal-Mart has two 15lb bags for $5.48. Looks like that's the best deal so far.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've just taken 2 pork shoulders off the smoker after 5 hours around 220 degrees and they're now in the oven to finish off in foil for 3 hours. They looked amazing and the rub had formed a nice crust.

First time slow smoking and I can't wait to eat.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Are you watching the internal temperature? 8 hours may not be enough.

Also the bark will soften up if its foiled. Not a bad thing for me as i dont like hard bark in my pulled po r k.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

I'm using a cheap Brinkman with the electric convertor controlled with a PID.

I'm using a large cast iron pan resting directly on the heating element to hold my wood chunks/chips.

While I love the temperature control that the PID gives me I'm not real happy with the level of smoke I'm getting out of it and am looking for a separate smoke generator.

So far I've come across:
Bradley Smoke Generator
Smoke Daddy
Smoke Pistol

I like the look of the Smoke Daddy because you can throw just about anything in it but I'm more of a set it and forget it kind of guy so I'm not too hot on having to babysit it in case it goes out.

The Bradley certainly takes care of the babysitting problem but I don't like the idea of being locked into their pellets.

The Smoke Pistol is interesting but their proprietary cartridge design is even worse than Bradley's pellets.

Ideally what I would like is an electric smoke generator that I can throw anything into. Sort of like the Smoke Daddy with a heating element in it.

Does anyone know of such a device or can give their input on locating or even building a stand alone smoke generator like I described?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Canuckistan posted:

Are you watching the internal temperature? 8 hours may not be enough.

Also the bark will soften up if its foiled. Not a bad thing for me as i dont like hard bark in my pulled po r k.

Its gone in at a higher temp for the 3 hours in the oven, they're also 2 not huge shoulders so I think the temp should be fine. I'll check it when I pull them though.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

TouchyMcFeely posted:

Does anyone know of such a device or can give their input on locating or even building a stand alone smoke generator like I described?

Earlier in this thread, PainBreak recommended these products:

http://www.amazenproducts.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=12

Based on that recommendation, I bought the AMNPS to go with my Masterbuilt 40", and it's been absolutely incredible. Pellets are really easy to come by; I picked up a 20lb. mix of hickory/oak/maple at a local stove/oven store for $20, and my local grocery store is stocking 2 lb. bags of assorted flavors. And of course you can order them online if you absolutely have to. The other models are meant to be used with sawdust.

You basically just use a butane torch to light one end of the maze, let it burn for 5-10 minutes, blow it out and it will smoke for 10-11 hours.

I've used it for both hot (butts, ribs, bacon, salmon) and cold-smoking (cheese, salmon). It's a revelation for cold-smoking, because it barely raises the temperature of the smoker at all, especially when paired with a water pan filled with ice.

edit: Here's a picture of it right before I lit it. It's at the bottom of the smoker with a makeshift foil tent to keep drippings from landing in it.

GigaFool fucked around with this message at 19:16 on May 26, 2012

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
Publix has baby back ribs on sale? Check:

Lowes has charcoal on sale? Check. Somehow managed to shove 160 lbs into a Corvette.

WSM all cleaned out and ready to go? Check.

Cherry and hickory smoke wood? Check.

Someone will have a good day tomorrow!

Its me. I will have a good day tomorrow. WOOOO SUMMER!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I wish I had a camera, that was far and away the best pork I've ever eaten. Everyone else agreed.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

GigaFool posted:

Based on that recommendation, I bought the AMNPS to go with my Masterbuilt 40", and it's been absolutely incredible.

Durr...I read that section of the thread but for some reason had my head set on an external burner. I think one of these would be perfect.

Thanks!

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Cold smoking aficionados, has anyone got a go-to cure for salmon?

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
The book that came with our smoker said when the internal temperature of the butt gets to 170, it is ready. So our last two attempts it has always been a pain in the rear end to cut up and shred.

Took info from here, took it up to 190. It took significantly longer and showed that perhaps we need a better smoker (Started 7:15 AM and wasn't ready until 11:00 PM), and even then we had to finish the last hour off in the oven.

Anyway, the result.

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit
I am preparing to smoke my first brisket tomorrow and I have a whole series of less than optimal conditions to work with.

I will be using a Weber Kettle with gas starter, I've got my apple chips soaking right now, and we will be using briquettes instead of chunks. To top it off we only have a tiny 3.5 flat with no fat cap. Like I said, less than optimal. Regardless, this meat is going on the kettle tomorrow and I need all of the tips I can get to make sure this goes well.

Can you please help?

How often should I be refreshing the chips? Should I put the brisket in a pan? On the grate? On the grate and then foiled after a certain time/temp? If I'm foiling should I add additional liquid? What about adding bacon on top to substitute the fat cap? How am I going to keep this moist enough to be edible?

What has worked for you?

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Meatloaf question!

I stole a smoked meatloaf recipe from here that turned out pretty drat good.

To save a click, here's the recipe:

Old Man Jim's Meat Loaf posted:

Ole Man Jim's Meat Loaf
Yield: 2 large loafs

5 lb Ground chuck roast
2-1/2 lb Ground Pork
2 lg Onions, minced
2 Bell peppers, minced
16 oz Italian seasoned bread crumbs
2 oz Cajun Bbq rub
2 ts Thyme
2 ts Sage
6 lg Eggs, beaten
1/4 c Danny's glaze*
1/4 c Sesame Oil
1/3 c Danny's glaze for topping

GLAZE (Danny's Glaze)
1 c Brown sugar
1/4 c Apple cider vinegar
1/4 c Yellow prepared mustard

PREPARING DANNY'S GLAZE
Place brown sugar, vinegar and yellow mustard in a small pot and bring to a simmer (Do not boil.)

PREPARING MEATLOAF
Thoroughly hand mix first eleven (11)ingredients and form into 2 equal loaves. Place each loaf into a foil loaf pan and place both into a 275*F pit for 2-1/2 hours. Remove from pit, brush tops with Danny's glaze and return to pit for 15 more minutes.

Drain fat from loafs, slice and serve.

Now here's the kicker. I found that the safe temp for ground pork and beef is 160 degrees. So I smoked away for around 4 hours at 250 and hit 160. I checked both loaves in multiple spots and read 160 each time.

Pulled them off and let them sit about 15 minutes. When I cut into them it was discovered that some of the loaf was still pink near the top. I'm a god drat Man so I ate it anyway. My GF said it was undercooked so I ended up putting the rest in the oven until it hit 180 (and was dry and gross).

I suspect the pink was a lump of ground pork that didn't get mixed in well enough but I haven't worked with ground pork before so I'm not sure what safely cooked ground pork looks like.

Was I right to trust the thermometer or did I nearly give the GF and I food poisoning?

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
Was the pink from the smoke ring? You'll get a pretty deep smoke ring with ground meat.

Regardless, if you checked it at 160 you're golden. Chow down.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Canuckistan posted:

Was the pink from the smoke ring? You'll get a pretty deep smoke ring with ground meat.

Regardless, if you checked it at 160 you're golden. Chow down.

Nah, wasn't from the ring. It was jump a lump of pink that started on the top and came down less than 1/4 of the way into the loaf but didn't extend around the entire loaf. Just that one spot.

It was god damned delicious at 160. At 180 it was dried out and bleck.

TouchyMcFeely
Aug 21, 2006

High five! Hell yeah!

Found a crappy picture I took with my cell phone.

This is what halving the recipe I posted looks like.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

So I smoked a nearly 11lb butt this weekend, my first attempt. Two days prior, I applied yellow mustard and a liberal application of rub and wrapped it up in plastic wrap.

It turned out great, but it didn't have any bark on it, nor was it black when I foiled it (at like 150F, it stalled for a long time and I was worried). It just looked like a big brown chunk of pork.

I smoked it at 225F, and it took 11 hours to get to 200F. I sprayed rum and apple juice on it every hour or two for the first 3-4 hours until I foiled it.

What am I doing wrong? Should I have applied more rub prior to cooking? I'm thinking the lack of rub (which did have sugar in it) is the reason why I didn't end up with much in the way of bark.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

- A rub will draw moisture out of the meat. The longer it sits with rub on it, the wetter it will be. Wet meat will take longer to dry out (creating the bark).
- Spraying and mopping constantly (especially in the beginning) will also help prevent bark,
- Foiling will soften any built-up bark, and prevent any from continuing to form if it hasn't yet.

If I rub a shoulder the night before, I always add some rub right before it goes on the smoker, to soak up some of the juice that now covers the meat. I also rarely foil, because I like chewy bark. If you're going to foil, you have to wait until the bark is well-formed if you want the caramelization in the final product.

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I think spraying the butt every hour, especially early in the cook, causes the cooking time to increase, which may be why you were stuck in a plateau at 150 for so long. The amazingribs.com guy suggests not spraying butts but instead adding some apple juice or similar when you foil it. this link should help you out a lot.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

TECHNICAL Thug posted:

I think spraying the butt every hour, especially early in the cook, causes the cooking time to increase, which may be why you were stuck in a plateau at 150 for so long. The amazingribs.com guy suggests not spraying butts but instead adding some apple juice or similar when you foil it. this link should help you out a lot.

Good tips, thanks guys! I'm not sure what's next on the smoking agenda, but it probably won't be another butt since I've got a lot of frozen pulled pork to eat. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

poo poo! I have a softball team of 15-20 to feed tomorrow, but I can't get much of the daytime off. Budget is ~40$. I get off at 5, mealtime is 10:15. I'm thinking pork loin Matambre (stuffed whith sausage and veggies, and wrapped in bacon), chicken halves/quarters/thighs, or maybe get some 5 pound butt roasts and smoke em while I'm at work. I prefer whole, but smaller is faster and 5-6 pounds leaves room for error.

I'd have to get my rear end out of bed for that last one though.

Or I could sink to fatties, but gently caress that they look gross.

EDIT: A Matambre, some pulled chicken (88 cent leg quarters, yes please), and
sadly, a fattie. I'm going to leave it plain and see how it does under the chicken.

AxeBreaker fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 1, 2012