Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Glad you enjoyed it! My South Indian homeboys can do some crazy things with rice.

Edit: South Indian gangsta snype

The Macaroni fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 26, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

The Macaroni posted:

^^^ Rest up, Halal. Weekend!

Collard green dolmathes were ludicriously delicious. I'm never buying grape leaves again.

How did you prep the collard greens? Boil them, steam them? I'm quite interested but I've never really worked with collard greens. I'll do it for awesome dolmathes though.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
That is like some loving 80's rear end gun handling there. Maybe even older.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Happy Hat posted:

I drunk bought it (I am drunk posting)

Also Go Gourd you magnificent bastard, I love you!

You would be an American hero if you were American, so instead I guess you're a Hero of the Human Race.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Helping my girlfriend move today. Forgot how much moving sucks.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Helping my girlfriend move today. Forgot how much moving sucks.

She found her Ke$ha calling too?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am the best mover ever. I am a huge bossy rear end in a top hat but things get loving done. I am so used to lifting, carrying, and packing trucks at work that dealing with "amateurs" is super frustrating. Who the gently caress doesn't wait for a count or an "up" when lifting something?

I also once moved into a house with 5 other stagehands. We "borrowed" a box truck from a lighting company we worked for and in one long night loaded, moved, and unloaded 4 apartments worth of stuff into our new house. It was magic at work.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Casu Marzu posted:

She found her Ke$ha calling too?
No, she's moving from Reno to my little town out on the edge of the desert.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

No, she's moving from Reno to my little town out on the edge of the desert.

Sounds like the start of a horror movie if I ever saw one.

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.
"Mr. Wiggles" could easily be the pseudonym of a 50+ trucker who keeps people in a secret torture chamber in his rig (that was a real thing look it up and join me in at the bottom of the glass)

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Scientastic posted:

Speaking of the mustard ICSA, does anyone have a good source for mustard greens in the UK?

Lol. Spent this morning searching borough market from one end to the other. No dice.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

sweat poteto posted:

Lol. Spent this morning searching borough market from one end to the other. No dice.

come to my backyard, I've got a weed patch in the back corner overrun with the stuff.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Just had my first shift ever at a restaurant, I handled drinks and coffee, and it was VERY good weather today, so it was busy.

My feet hurt. And my arm. I can't decide whether to get drunk or lie down. Maybe I'll do both. Can't decide in the order to do it in then.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Darval posted:

Just had my first shift ever at a restaurant, I handled drinks and coffee, and it was VERY good weather today, so it was busy.

My feet hurt. And my arm. I can't decide whether to get drunk or lie down. Maybe I'll do both. Can't decide in the order to do it in then.

Well if you get drunk enough, you kinda automatically lay down. It may not be on something you want to lay down on. I would suggest laying down first. Congratulations on surviving, though.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

Darval posted:

Make sure you maintain a 1:1 ratio of water to drank, probably more if your weather is hot. It keeps the hangover away and makes sure you don't get regular dehydrated in this hot weather. Also congratulations.

homerlaw fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 27, 2012

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

homerlaw posted:

Make sure you maintain a 1:1 ratio of water to alcohol, probably more if your weather is hot. It keeps the hangover away and makes sure you don't get regular dehydrated in this hot weather. Also congratulations.

I get you're saying to stay hydrated, but if the rule you mention were true you could pound 40% abv shots all night and never get a hangover because you are at a ratio of 3:2 water:alcohol. :v:

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

GrAviTy84 posted:

I get you're saying to stay hydrated, but if the rule you mention were true you could pound 40% abv shots all night and never get a hangover because you are at a ratio of 3:2 water:alcohol. :v:

Stop being pedantic. For each standard drink, have a glass of water. 1:1 ratio, just not volume.

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Thanks guys :3:

but what's with all the math. I'm watching Eurovision in the dorm kitchen. Begone, logic.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

gently caress ESC forever, in the name of Scott and Young https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98I85ceICRM

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
You're just mad because Norway didn't make it to the finals :smug:

How Denmark got the the finals, I have no idea.. Holy poo poo it's bad.

e:
Norway is in the finals. How the gently caress did I miss that.

But we are still the only two countries with 0 points at the moment of editing.

Darval fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 26, 2012

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The whole Eurovision thing is totally baffling to me.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

pork never goes bad posted:

Stop being pedantic. For each standard drink, have a glass of water. 1:1 ratio, just not volume.

but he didn't say standard drink:water he said alcohol:water. :v:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Actually it works fine. For every shot of grain alcohol I drink I just take a shot of water, boom no hangover.

Serious, try it out.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Chemmy posted:

Actually it works fine. For every shot of grain alcohol I drink I just take a shot of water, boom no hangover.

Serious, try it out.

If it's a rule it should work for all scenarios, not just one.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

GrAviTy84 posted:

Gravity gettin' peoples' panties in a bunch.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Chemmy posted:

Serious, try it out.
Probably placebo. Or perhaps the moderating effect of consuming something other than alcohol (e.g., intake of other liquids results in a lower intake of alcohol). This is one of those subjects that comes up every so often and there's a study conducted to investigate the efficacy of various hangover remedies, and they never vary statistically from placebo.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

GrAviTy84 posted:

Alright I fixed it :colbert:

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

SubG posted:

Probably placebo. Or perhaps the moderating effect of consuming something other than alcohol (e.g., intake of other liquids results in a lower intake of alcohol). This is one of those subjects that comes up every so often and there's a study conducted to investigate the efficacy of various hangover remedies, and they never vary statistically from placebo.

http://www.annals.org/content/132/11/897.full seems to suggest that rehydration is an effective strategy - it certainly alleviates certain hangover symptoms (dry mouth, for example).

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
oh they gave us back the chat thread?

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Hi pr0k. How's your mom?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

Hi pr0k. How's your mom?

She's fine. :quagmire:

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Oh god, so there's a cheffy chef ranting on a friend's status update about how he is a Professional since who knows when and every dish he "creates" is a "balance of nutrition, culture, geography, history and art".:allears: Now he's going on about The One True Way to make food, instead of the horrible trend into blah blah blah bizarre ingredients that ignore tradition. :jerkbag:

His name is Bland. I'd never trust a chef named Bland.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Casu Marzu posted:

His name is Bland. I'd never trust a chef named Bland.

You're making GBS threads me.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Drink and Fight posted:

You're making GBS threads me.

I really, really, really wish I was. Chef Bland :chef:

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Who wouldn't have a chip on their shoulder or an axe to grind, with a name like that?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
If he wasn't a douchebag I'd get him a gift certificate at the county registrar or wherever it you go to legally change your name.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Apparently Gourd's wedding was pretty and Croat is giving up a turn with mom to come over for dinner.

Goonpacalypse status: imminent.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

sweat poteto posted:

I found an online source.

http://www.theasiancookshop.co.uk/fresh-kai-choy--mustard-green-leaves--gai-choi-500g-e-3559-p.asp

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

pork never goes bad posted:

http://www.annals.org/content/132/11/897.full seems to suggest that rehydration is an effective strategy - it certainly alleviates certain hangover symptoms (dry mouth, for example).
If you look at what that paper actually says, it amounts to the fact that some people report feeling some amount better. The authors actually highlight the problem(s) with this as a meaningful conclusion---there is no standard clinical definition for hangover, and there are no standard clinical diagnostic criteria for evaluating the alleviation of hangover symptoms. This is why the authors explicitly refrain from engaging in formal analysis.

That's pretty much the situation if you do a search on pubmed or wherever to look for peer reviewed material on the subject; a whole bunch of difficult to correlate or evaluate self-reported stuff, and essentially no hard clinical data (e.g. data collected in double blind conditions) and no overall consensus on either the subject being studied (!) or what diagnostic instrument to use when studying it.

If you look outside peer-reviewed papers, the subject is, if you can imagine, even worse, with all kinds of parroting of old wives' tales as the gospel truth and nothing but a bunch of vague hand-waving and a tangled undirected graph of self-references as support.

There's almost certainly no downside to drinking water. And alcohol is a diuretic. So there's an air of plausibility about it. And if it makes you feel better, well more power to ya. But the science just ain't there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Just ordered the ice cream attachment for my Kitchen Aid. Boy, this should be fun.