Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

precision posted:

What they did with that record reminded me a lot of how Tarentel went from being good but completely by-the-numbers post-rock on their first two records, but then dropped We Move Through Weather and completely confused/impressed everyone. They went from a decent Mogwai-alike to a sound that owed more to Big Black and early Einsturzende Neubauten than anything else. Album is loving bleak and industrial and weird and easily one of the top post-rock (if it even falls into that category, honestly) releases of the 2000s.

I'm a huge Tarentel fan, of both their sounds. Honestly, I think The Order Of Things is my favorite Tarentel album (one of my favorite albums in any genre, in fact) but Ghetto Beats on the Surface of the Sun is my second-favorite. I also really like the Paper White EP, "Open Letter To Hummingbirds" is fantastic.

EDIT: man i just spent a stupid amount of money on a grooved plastic disc you guys, what am i doing with my life

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 20:27 on May 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

SpruceZeus posted:

I'm a huge Tarentel fan, of both their sounds. Honestly, I think The Order Of Things is my favorite Tarentel album

I honestly don't remember much about that album, it's been quite a while since I owned it (still have From Bone To Satellite though). I did see them live around when it came out though and they managed to do a more "epic" post-rock show in a 50-seat hippie restaurant than Mogwai in a 300+ seat theater.

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

I have just about all the full-length albums they've ever put out. Plus Ephemera I guess because it's technically a collection of EPs. Ephemera is another particularly good "old sound" album, btw. As for From Bone To Satellite, it's okay, but it's got some kind of dull bits, plus whatever that weird freakout at the start of "When We Almost Killed Ourselves" is. Almost sounds like something off their newer material, always thought it was a bit out of place. Not only are all the songs on The Order of Things fantastic and quite varied, they're also arranged really well, the album itself flows wonderfully. In my opinion it's superior to From Bone To Satellite by far.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Will probably go to the Manchester date. Holy poo poo this is exciting!

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

What the hell my friend is busy on the 24th does anybody want to go to the Manchester gig? Mini goon meet!

Cpt Stabbin
Jul 16, 2003

I ride zee boat and take it in zee poopah!

Ohms posted:

We play an instrumental post-rock mixture of Pink Floyd and harder rock, such as Pelican, Russian Circles, Crippled Black Phoenix.

I'd love to see any of you out there, I play drums so come say hi. We play at 9:30 (if it goes according to schedule).

This is a video of a past show

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AHT3MuyVR-U

And this is our website

http://www.spacescold.com

That is some awesome music right there my friend. Album bought. I better be your first Swedish fan damnit!

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!

Cpt Stabbin posted:

That is some awesome music right there my friend. Album bought. I better be your first Swedish fan damnit!

Sorry but when I was in Alingsĺs last year I introduced a few people to Spaces.

Cpt Stabbin
Jul 16, 2003

I ride zee boat and take it in zee poopah!

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Sorry but when I was in Alingsĺs last year I introduced a few people to Spaces.

Damnit! Ok...

How about some collapse under the empire then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5Sjs4vrwfY

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Listening to the Pirate Ship Quintet album. Sounds pretty drat good. Thanks post-rock thread for introducing me to them. Hopefully they'll play their hometown again soon and I can take a quick trip across the bridge.

Junkenstein fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 26, 2012

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Cpt Stabbin posted:

Damnit! Ok...

How about some collapse under the empire then?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5Sjs4vrwfY

I've always thought of Collapse as extremely mature sounding. Never going overboard in layering, everything is beautiful and calculated.

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com

Cpt Stabbin posted:

Haha, thanks guys. We have another show June 7th in Brooklyn. Also our vinyl is being pressed as we speak. We got a test print of it to make sure it sounded as it should and it's so exciting. Same album art, back is changed to show side A and B, blood red translucent vinyl, 180 gram, insert is the same as the credits page in the digital album, and it'll come with a hand made screen printed poster. 250 hand numbered copies.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

that's my thing that i say

Ohms posted:

Haha, thanks guys. We have another show June 7th in Brooklyn. Also our vinyl is being pressed as we speak. We got a test print of it to make sure it sounded as it should and it's so exciting. Same album art, back is changed to show side A and B, blood red translucent vinyl, 180 gram, insert is the same as the credits page in the digital album, and it'll come with a hand made screen printed poster. 250 hand numbered copies.

When is this going to be available? Are you doing pre-orders or no? I've just started collecting vinyl recently and I love Nothing Exists But Atoms And The Void so I want to be sure I can snag a copy before they sell out.

\/\/\/ I am kinda in the same boat, going to the London show by myself on the 1st July

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 27, 2012

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Sorry, should have elaborated, Shels* on 24th June, Manchester UK, anybody interested? I seriously have zero people to go with now

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I want to jump on the love for Spaces train, too. Got both your albums a few weeks back and really enjoy them. I'm a throwback who normally likes to buy CDs rather than digital, but having high quality, DRM free downloads and nice artwork helps ease the pain!

thehustler posted:

Sorry, should have elaborated, Shels* on 24th June, Manchester UK, anybody interested? I seriously have zero people to go with now

I might be going to this, will let you know if so.

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com

david puddy posted:

When is this going to be available? Are you doing pre-orders or no? I've just started collecting vinyl recently and I love Nothing Exists But Atoms And The Void so I want to be sure I can snag a copy before they sell out.

\/\/\/ I am kinda in the same boat, going to the London show by myself on the 1st July

We are hoping for a late June release but it might be early July. We might be doing a preorder and if we do, I'll definitely post about it here.

big scary monsters posted:

I want to jump on the love for Spaces train, too. Got both your albums a few weeks back and really enjoy them. I'm a throwback who normally likes to buy CDs rather than digital, but having high quality, DRM free downloads and nice artwork helps ease the pain!

Thanks man! We would make a CD but just don't have the funds to do so. We have done everything ourselves up to this point. We opted for vinyl for its larger format and sense of being collectible.

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Ohms posted:

We are hoping for a late June release but it might be early July. We might be doing a preorder and if we do, I'll definitely post about it here.

All right, cool. I follow you guys on Facebook too so I will keep checking everywhere.

I just picked up Valtari on CD and it sounds a LOT better than the rip that was leaked. Again, fantastic album

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

WoG posted:

Té is great, but yeah, very hard to google. Here's their site, which no longer appears to offer english, but that side was never updated anyway, so muddle through the japanese side. At minimum, it's easy to find titles for their albums and google from there.

e: Looks like just did a ustreamed concert

I just discovered Té a week or so ago, I think from the Chrono Trigger Let's Play thread of all places. Something about them has really grabbed onto me, I find them really easy to listen to. All the members are obviously skilled & talented out the rear end, their playing is technical and varied enough to hold my interest over multiple listens but their music never slides over into wanky-prog territory. Also most of their songs are in the 3-5 minute range, helpful for me as I don't seem to have the attention span/patience for stuff like GSYBE. I'm not particularly into post-rock so maybe these guys don't sound all that unique to the rest of this thread, but they've quickly become one of my favorite bands. I don't know post-rock but I know what I like, and I like Té :)

So far I've been able to track down their 2005 debut album, If that is what is being thought, liberated sound talks the depth of [musical] world (all of their album and song titles are ridiculously verbose, to make up for being instrumental I suppose). It was re-released in the USA the following year, making it easier to track down. My favorite track has got to be Avarice would speak with every word, it [acts] every part and it even pretends to be not avaricious.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmo-XTJLcmQ
Starts off nice and easy, builds for the first half, then completely smokes your rear end for the last 2 minutes :circlefap:

They are indeed a pain in the rear end to Google for, so far I've been able to track down their MySpace page (dormant since 2009), this discography from their official site which at least tells me they've got 4 LPs, 3 singles and just put out a live EP in February. It is now pretty much my goal in life to track down as much of their material as I can get my hands on.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 23:04 on May 28, 2012

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Jackie-O Motherfucker is one of those really esoteric, Set Fire To Flames level impenetrability (but with a lot of folk influence), but as it happens they collaborated with Set Fire To Flames, but didn't release it, most likely just to make people like me sad.

Takes No Damage posted:

I just discovered Té a week or so ago, I think from the Chrono Trigger Let's Play thread of all places.

Wait what? Where? I've been following that thread and don't remember anything about Té.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.

Takes No Damage posted:

They are indeed a pain in the rear end to Google for, so far I've been able to track down their MySpace page (dormant since 2009), this discography from their official site which at least tells me they've got 4 LPs, 3 singles and just put out a live EP in February. It is now pretty much my goal in life to track down as much of their material as I can get my hands on.

Itunes has at least 3 albums, 1 partial album and 2 singles/eps whatever.

MisterFuzzles fucked around with this message at 04:48 on May 29, 2012

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

Té's discogs entry has one of each of their CDs for sale if physical media is your thing, too.

Lord of Sword
Dec 12, 2006

We live thinking we will never die.
We die thinking we had never lived.
Cut it out.
The discog on that page is missing their newest album from 2010 (the 'Purple One', which is how I remember all their albums). None of them besides the first (green) LP have official english titles either which makes them even harder to find.

I usually just wait and buy a couple of their CDs/DVDs at a time since shipping from Japan is so crazy (their 2 live DVDs are also definitely worth getting if you don't already have them).

strap on revenge
Apr 8, 2011

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist/cd-album/000000000247357/

Looks like they've got all four here, I've ordered from HMV Japan before and was happy enough with them, so there you go I guess.

e: Found a forum post from their record label and it gives the first three albums' Romanized names as:

- If that is what is being thought, liberated sounds talks the depth of "musical" world
- It is a thought to try to "sing" the realistic sound from the deeply resonated world
- Beyond that, if your soul agrees with your five senses, everything turns into the greatest "music"

strap on revenge fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 30, 2012

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

david puddy posted:

Looks like they've got all four here, I've ordered from HMV Japan before and was happy enough with them, so there you go I guess.

e: Found a forum post from their record label and it gives the first three albums' Romanized names as:

- If that is what is being thought, liberated sounds talks the depth of "musical" world
- It is a thought to try to "sing" the realistic sound from the deeply resonated world
- Beyond that, if your soul agrees with your five senses, everything turns into the greatest "music"

I feel like maybe we should do a bulk order so we can split the cost of shipping from Japan. Do enough people want Té albums?

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Wait what? Where? I've been following that thread and don't remember anything about Té.

I searched back a few pages to avoid flying in here with a band everyone already knew about, and found the post I quoted towards the top of page 50.

david puddy posted:

Té's discogs entry has one of each of their CDs for sale if physical media is your thing, too.

Woah I didn't even know Discogs had their own market, sweet. 23bux for each LP is still a bit steep, but amazon.jp wants 35 so that may be the way I go eventually.

david puddy posted:

I can't vouch for the accuracy, but this page has the most understandable translations for all of their material through their 3rd LP: http://zankyo.jp/english/release.php?art_id=1
Comparing it translations from other sources around the web it seems to be saying all the same things, just in way better English. Just noticed, it also has amazon/itunes links for everything (for 2,500 yen :( ).

edit: But! this page claims to have their first 3 LPs for 13.50 each for the USA, so there's that.

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 03:56 on May 30, 2012

Twoiism
Sep 10, 2008

Ever present.

Takes No Damage posted:

edit: But! this page claims to have their first 3 LPs for 13.50 each for the USA, so there's that.

For what it's worth, I've ordered from these guys (they're Lights Out Asia's label) multiple times and had zero problems even though I'm in Ireland.

MisterFuzzles
Dec 5, 2009

We can't go back no more, but I suppose we can go wherever we please.

MisterFuzzles posted:

Itunes has at least 3 albums, 1 partial album and 2 singles/eps whatever.

Maybe I missed something but I will quote myself and elaborate.

Itunes has

If There Is No Word Which Tells Sound, Beutiful Melody Does Not Keep In Mind ($3.96 US)

It Is a Thought to Try to "Sing" the Realistic Sound from the Deeply Resonated World.(9.90 US)

It That Is What Is Being Thought, Liberated Sound Talks the Depth of "Musical" (9.90 US)

Mashite Kokoro To Gokan Ga Icchi Surunara Subete Saijou No Ongaku Ni Henzuru (9.99 US)

That's Not a Gift Who Using Words to Sing. It's Just a Memory (3.96 US)

and a partial album that has no english translation what so ever. (3.87 US)

Edit - Or I could link it. http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/te/id419266723

MisterFuzzles fucked around with this message at 05:46 on May 30, 2012

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I've started to think of all their releases as just [number] [format] [color] because like hell I'm ever going to get these Engrish titles to make sense in my head. So on iTunes they list:

If There Is No Word Which Tells Sound, Beutiful Melody Does Not Keep In Mind ($3.96 US) 3rd single, dark blue

It Is a Thought to Try to "Sing" the Realistic Sound from the Deeply Resonated World.(9.90 US) 2nd LP, pink

It That Is What Is Being Thought, Liberated Sound Talks the Depth of "Musical" (9.90 US) 1st LP, original version, not remastered, no bonus tracks, green

Mashite Kokoro To Gokan Ga Icchi Surunara Subete Saijou No Ongaku Ni Henzuru (9.99 US) translates to "Furthermore, when the mind meets all senses, all matters converge to the ultimate [music]." 3rd LP, light blue

That's Not a Gift Who Using Words to Sing. It's Just a Memory (3.96 US) 2nd single, orange

and a partial album that has no english translation what so ever. (3.87 US) this is the live EP they put out in February. The first 3 tracks are new studio songs, that's just this without the concert included.

So iTunes is missing:
1st single - just 3 demos of songs that show up on the first LP (cover is grey)
1st LP US edition - remastered and with 2 bonus tracks
4th LP - this seems to be the hardest to find for some reason... (it's purple)

drat, I don't think I've done anything but look up info on these guys since Sunday. Been a long time since I was so instantly and powerfully engaged with a band like this, feels good man :)

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I just picked this up from the 65daysofstatic website and it's an extremely strong album, a midpoint between the powerful post rock of The Fall of Math and the electronic sounds of We Were Exploding Away.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I just picked this up from the 65daysofstatic website and it's an extremely strong album, a midpoint between the powerful post rock of The Fall of Math and the electronic sounds of We Were Exploding Away.

A million times yes. They were discussed in the "disappointing artists" thread, and I would say that anyone who didn't like We Were Exploding Anyway really needs to give this a shot because it's my favorite album of theirs by a longshot.

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

precision posted:

A million times yes. They were discussed in the "disappointing artists" thread, and I would say that anyone who didn't like We Were Exploding Anyway really needs to give this a shot because it's my favorite album of theirs by a longshot.

My favourite 65dos stuff is usually on EPs, namely the Come to me|Weak4 EP, but I was really impressed by We Were Exploding Away. Though my favourite actual album album is now a tossup between this and One Time for all Time.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cymbal Monkey posted:

My favourite 65dos stuff is usually on EPs, namely the Come to me|Weak4 EP, but I was really impressed by We Were Exploding Away. Though my favourite actual album album is now a tossup between this and One Time for all Time.

Yeah, I'm really partial to the Unreleased/Unreleasable stuff myself. But really they haven't done anything that I thought was less than "really good".

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

precision posted:

Yeah, I'm really partial to the Unreleased/Unreleasable stuff myself. But really they haven't done anything that I thought was less than "really good".

Their catalog is best described as "really good", with a healthy sprinkling of things that can actually induce orgasms.

Additionally, I haven't seen anyone talking about The Samuel Jackson Five's new album, The Samuel Jackson Five, which is shameful! It marks a real departure from strict post rock, but it's still exciting and jazzy! It's a great album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkuuRkLn6Zk

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Everyone whined about The Destruction of Small Ideas not having enough bass in the drum mix. That was THE hot-button issue when 65dos released it. Nothing else, just that.

I thought it sounded fine and I'm sick of artificially over-compressed music.

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com
Hey guys, my band is playing again. The show is tonight at Union Pool in Brooklyn. We play last of three bands which is around 10:30/11. We're playing with a really awesome band, Emanuel and the Fear. Come check it out if you're free!

This is us: https://www.spacescold.com

And this is Emanuel and the Fear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2WTueA875Os

FB event for the show with more info:

http://www.facebook.com/events/403832379639537/

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Ohms posted:

Hey guys, my band is playing again. The show is tonight at Union Pool in Brooklyn. We play last of three bands which is around 10:30/11. We're playing with a really awesome band, Emanuel and the Fear. Come check it out if you're free!

Every day you make me regret living in Oregon. All we have in Oregon is Grails. And they've played maybe two shows here ever. Oh well, at least I got Sigur Rós tickets for the show outside of Portland.

When I heard that Emanuel And The Fear song you linked, my first reaction was "buy album" but it's not out yet apparently. :smith:

Cymbal Monkey fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Jun 7, 2012

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

big scary monsters posted:

I might be going to this, will let you know if so.

Any news? It's getting closer innit.

Ohms
Jun 5, 2008

spacescold.com

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Every day you make me regret living in Oregon. All we have in Oregon is Grails. And they've played maybe two shows here ever. Oh well, at least I got Sigur Rós tickets for the show outside of Portland.

When I heard that Emanuel And The Fear song you linked, my first reaction was "buy album" but it's not out yet apparently. :smith:

They have some other music on their bandcamp which is also very good! Also, we got some footage of this show so we'll be uploading some of it soon!

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

I'm really getting into Jonnytwentythree. They have their own blend of sparcity and intensity that really works for me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Cymbal Monkey posted:

Every day you make me regret living in Oregon. All we have in Oregon is Grails.

No way. The northwest area (not strictly just Oregon) has a lot more than Grails. Earth, Master Musicians of Bukkake, Barn Owl, Isis and the Ghost... I dunno, there's a lot up there. I've thought of relocating there based on how often I visit to see local bands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpruceZeus
Aug 13, 2011

Cymbal Monkey posted:

I'm really getting into Jonnytwentythree. They have their own blend of sparcity and intensity that really works for me.

Getting some Yndi Halda and Industries of the Blind-esque vibes from this, if rather more somber. Good find mate.

SpruceZeus fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Jun 9, 2012