Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Crustashio posted:

That is a classic example of trying to out-engineer stupidity. I will now be using that as a reference when people ask me to design crap like that at work :v:

Now if I were the engineer asked to solve the original problem (Which is summarized as: Old people become crap at driving eventually.) I would have made the brake pedal like a torque wrench. Takes 2-3 pounds sitting on it before there's a slight "snap" feel to it and pedal travel begins... Like how the turn signal switch eventually snaps into the "on" position. Or like Honda high-beam stalks and wiper stalks, but without the "make contact before the mechanical detent" part that comes in handy on the hi-beams...

I can also only imagine that an octogenarian pedal-foot drives some ABS systems absolutely batshit insane and is probably the root cause of some accidents where they wound up in the median on an otherwise nice weather day...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Sponge! posted:

Now if I were the engineer asked to solve the original problem (Which is summarized as: Old people become crap at driving eventually.) I would have made the brake pedal like a torque wrench. Takes 2-3 pounds sitting on it before there's a slight "snap" feel to it and pedal travel begins... Like how the turn signal switch eventually snaps into the "on" position. Or like Honda high-beam stalks and wiper stalks, but without the "make contact before the mechanical detent" part that comes in handy on the hi-beams...

I can also only imagine that an octogenarian pedal-foot drives some ABS systems absolutely batshit insane and is probably the root cause of some accidents where they wound up in the median on an otherwise nice weather day...

I would have simply had a contact switch that, when released, would turn on the brake lights. Simply and easy.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Remove one leg from every senior citizen.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.

Cakefool posted:

We use Kone's at work, I'm sharing that one out. Do you have a link or more info?

Original Polish: http://www.portalmorski.pl/zegluga/zegluga-promowa-i-roro/31931-wypadek-w-gdynskim-porcie-prom-uderzyl-w-suwnice
Decent++ English site: http://gcaptain.com/stena-ferry-knocks-container-loading/

This event is no fault of Kone's but still makes a good cast study , so you know what the scene might look like if a similar collision and collapse happens. Seems everybody made it out alive from this one, but quite smashed up.

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 15:23 on May 27, 2012

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Pretentious Turtle posted:

Remove one leg from every senior citizen.

This is the obvious solution.

tbf I've seen plenty of this from every age group. The problem is that 99% of American drivers are fuckwits and invent new ways of being bigger fuckwits every day.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Maker Of Shoes posted:

tbf I've seen plenty of this from every age group. The problem is that 99% of American drivers are fuckwits and invent new ways of being bigger fuckwits every day.
The old saying ... "Make something idiotproof, and they'll make a better idiot."

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Which is why my next new car is going to need a backup camera. Because fuckwits can't be bothered to use their mirror or crane their neck to check behind them.
Are they more likely to check the camera?

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

tater_salad posted:

Which is why my next new car is going to need a backup camera. Because fuckwits can't be bothered to use their mirror or crane their neck to check behind them.
No, you see, now drivers can blame the camera and take away any personal guilt!

More and more, I am looking forward to self-driving cars and a special license to drive without one.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

tater_salad posted:

Only if it can send/receive SMS and Facebook. :v:

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost

Sponge! posted:

Now if I were the engineer asked to solve the original problem (Which is summarized as: Old people become crap at driving eventually.) I would have made the brake pedal like a torque wrench. Takes 2-3 pounds sitting on it before there's a slight "snap" feel to it and pedal travel begins...

And then bean-counters look at the price of retrofitting existing vehicles with new brake pedals vs a complimentary brake flush. And the lawyers look at the fact that your device mechanically inhibits brake actuation. And marketing looks at the bad PR from a recall.

Or you could develop a NEW and IMPROVED brake fluid that will HELP you stop BETTER, instead of admitting there is a problem.
:suicide:

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Wire the horn to the brake lights. No one will step on it unless they need it.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Fire Storm posted:

No, you see, now drivers can blame the camera and take away any personal guilt!

More and more, I am looking forward to self-driving cars and a special license to drive without one.

You'd be amazed at how many people tell me they didn't see anything and/or their backup sensor didn't detect anything when they back into poo poo.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Maker Of Shoes posted:

I've seen plenty of cars driving around here with the brake lights permanently on. It's either electrical faults or people resting their left feet on their brake pedals, I guess. Some of them have had the distinct smell of toasted brakes about them.

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

KozmoNaut posted:

I've seen plenty of cars driving around here with the brake lights permanently on. It's either electrical faults or people resting their left feet on their brake pedals, I guess. Some of them have had the distinct smell of toasted brakes about them.

Worst thing is people driving with their rear fog-lights permanently on. If it's dual sided fog-lights you can just hardly see the brake-lights.

gently caress-lights.

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Sir Cornelius posted:

Worst thing is people driving with their rear fog-lights permanently on.

gently caress fog-lights.

I totally agree. :shobon:

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
1/3 of drivers in my city drive with their fogs on at night. 10% drive with their high beams on, day or night. God I hate driving in this city.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010

Bovril Delight posted:

You'd be amazed at how many people tell me they didn't see anything and/or their backup sensor didn't detect anything when they back into poo poo.

Yup, some lady rammed her hitch receiver into the middle of my wife's hood because her ultrasonics didn't pick anything up. Problem being that the lady was driving an Escalade and my wife had a Tiburon so the sensors were probably pinging the windshield because the Escalade's bumper is so high.

The whole thing was a cock-up, actually. She was on the cell phone and stopped in an intersection halfway because she was about to run a red light, so she threw it in reverse to get out of the cross traffic. And she wasn't supposed to be driving that truck because it was her husband's company vehicle. Dumb all the way around.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

revmoo posted:

1/3 of drivers in my city drive with their fogs on at night. 10% drive with their high beams on, day or night. God I hate driving in this city.

My favorite is all the assholes who use them in winter, when the roads are covered in a highly reflective substance. If I'm driving someone else's car, the first thing I do is turn the goddamn things off.

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

DELETED posted:

My favorite is all the assholes who use them in winter, when the roads are covered in a highly reflective substance. If I'm driving someone else's car, the first thing I do is turn the goddamn things off.

I like when people turn on their highbeams in a snowstorm. Yeah, sure helps your visibility by lighting up all those snowflakes.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
There's a fine line where in light snow (at night) highbeams really help but then it starts snowing a bit more heavily and HOLY gently caress I can't see poo poo!

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011

tater_salad posted:

To be fair, as belt lines get higher, rear visibility is going to suffer, and there's a blind spot behind the rear bumper that can easily obscure small children.

Also, did you know you can get a ticket for driving with fog lights on? Happened to a friend of a friend a few days ago.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
Huh? What does it say on the ticket, like, what was the actual violation?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Rocket Salad posted:

Huh? What does it say on the ticket, like, what was the actual violation?

If it's anything like 'round these parts, you can run either your low beams, your fog lights or your DRLs, but you must run one of them during the daytime. Run more than one of them and you get a ticket for unnecessary use of lights or some such. It's to prevent people from blinding each other with walls of light. At night you must run your low beams at all times, or high beams if at all possible without blinding people.

Rear fog lights are only allowed during severely impaired visibility and when there are no other cars immediately behind you.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Neptr posted:

To be fair, as belt lines get higher, rear visibility is going to suffer, and there's a blind spot behind the rear bumper that can easily obscure small children.

Also, did you know you can get a ticket for driving with fog lights on? Happened to a friend of a friend a few days ago.

We have laws for this, too. "Use of fog lights in unsuited conditions" or something. But the cops don't enforce it because it's easier to collect revenue sitting behind a laser camera.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what

KozmoNaut posted:

If it's anything like 'round these parts, you can run either your low beams, your fog lights or your DRLs, but you must run one of them during the daytime. Run more than one of them and you get a ticket for unnecessary use of lights or some such.
I have a green car and I like to drive around in the woods and hills so I keep the fogs on to be just a little bit more visible to oncoming traffic, since I really blend-in with the foliage in the shade - except for the fact that I'm moving considerable faster than the trees.

But still, that's a lame ticket. How much?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The Rocket Salad posted:

I have a green car and I like to drive around in the woods and hills so I keep the fogs on to be just a little bit more visible to oncoming traffic, since I really blend-in with the foliage in the shade - except for the fact that I'm moving considerable faster than the trees.

Minimum ticket these days is 1000 DKK or ~$170 for any traffic-related offense, if you're in or on a motorized vehicle. It's a bit cheaper for cyclists.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

The Rocket Salad posted:

Why not just use dipped beams?

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
Headlights + fogs = I don't know maybe I just like the little green light on the dashboard.

Mr.Peabody
Jul 15, 2009

Sir Cornelius posted:

Worst thing is people driving with their rear fog-lights permanently on. If it's dual sided fog-lights you can just hardly see the brake-lights.

gently caress fog-lights.

This 100 times.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
For the record: I don't drive with my fogs on. However, what's the problem with them? They're generally low to the ground and not especially bright. Unless we're talking about Daylighters or something.

Edit: I definitely get the rear fog light hate.

ToG
Feb 17, 2007
Rory Gallagher Wannabe

Godholio posted:

For the record: I don't drive with my fogs on. However, what's the problem with them? They're generally low to the ground and not especially bright. Unless we're talking about Daylighters or something.

Rear fogs are the big issue, but I've been blinded a few times by people on the opposite side of the road with their front fogs on. Even if it's not blinding you, it's still distracting.

edit: Also retardedly distracting to see it in your rear-view mirror.
Worth a £60 fine in the UK I believe.(Improper use of Lamp)

ToG fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 28, 2012

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Godholio posted:

Fog lights are typically as bright as your low beams, just aimed down so that they don't seem all that bright.

other than the rear fogs being an issue, front fogs reduce your ability to see distant things by lighting the gently caress out of the road right in front of your bumper. Also, some people mistake their fogs for their normal lights and end up driving at night with only their fogs on.

The Rocket Salad
Sep 1, 2004

lol what
I'll say this: Don't use your fog lights at night if there's no fog. Your irises pinch close with the bright lights lighting up the sides of the road close very close to your front bumper, and you end up losing a good deal of contrast in your vision as a result.

In daylight, it doesn't make any difference.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
The best is when it's someone in a raised up pickup with improperly aimed $60 Canadian Tire headlights.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

KozmoNaut posted:

It's a bit cheaper for cyclists.

They're finally starting to enforce actual traffic laws for cyclists here, but its too late. Stop signs are not half-yield signs. Hell, here the local cyclists ride on a shoulder-less state highway (55+mph)and ride 3 wide like a bunch of idiots. I ride my bike a lot, but I can't imagine being killed or ruining someone's life by being such an idiot to ride like that.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

ToG posted:

but I've been blinded a few times by people on the opposite side of the road with their front fogs on. Even if it's not blinding you, it's still distracting.

That should be a ticket for having improperly focused fog lights, like there technically is (although not enforced) for headlights. They should be focused low and wide, with the top cut low enough that they land below any other car's bumper.

Shai-Hulud
Jul 10, 2008

But it feels so right!
Lipstick Apathy
Also Fog lights are really annoying when it rains cause they nicely reflect of the wet street back into the the eyes of other drivers!

Sponge!
Dec 22, 2004

SPORK!

Shai-Hulud posted:

Also Fog lights are really annoying when it rains cause they nicely reflect of the wet street back into the the eyes of other drivers!

Yes....

I'd totally be posting pictures of the rings/bearings/piston-heads/burnt-valves/etc from my recent engine rebuild, but I *still* don't have it back.(28 days and counting...) With any luck Wednesday will be a day of horror for us all.

Marvin K. Mooney
Jan 2, 2008

poop ship
destroyer
Just saw this video of SEMA car crushing on Autoblog:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GNiL8V-vQQ

I wonder why they do this with pre-production cars and press cars. Couldn't they part them out, or title them as salvage and sell them at auction? For lovely cars it's not so bad but watching Vipers and other limited production cars get crushed is a bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

bidikyoopi posted:

I wonder why they do this with pre-production cars and press cars.

Liability. Only way to make sure nobody makes a claim about pre-production vehicles is to destroy them. And have video evidence.