Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kata-Haro
Oct 21, 2010

Caphi, I hope you'll show off Daiguards Drill Arm attack against flying enemies. That thing had me laughing for a good few minutes when i first saw it.

Also, I too thought that the Godmars was kinda boring initially. This was partly because the Godsigma from the last game hadn't garnered much goodwill from me as that thing seemed super generic as it was. After a while though you kinda just grow to love how little the animates. Also punching clear through stuff never gets old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
Oh god I can't quite express how much I love Final Godmars' dynamic kill. Just standing there and basking in the light coming off from the enemy's death explosion, truely there can be nothing more beautiful (okay that's a lie but we don't see the single better thing until Saisei).

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ActionZero posted:

Oh god I can't quite express how much I love Final Godmars' dynamic kill. Just standing there and basking in the light coming off from the enemy's death explosion, truely there can be nothing more beautiful (okay that's a lie but we don't see the single better thing until Saisei).

You talking about when the church bells ring or is this a completely different giant robot?

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So, are Godmars and God Sigma brother series' ala Mazinger and Great Mazinger, or is that teamup I heard about just the SRW writers playing with the crossover?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Spiritus Nox posted:

So, are Godmars and God Sigma brother series' ala Mazinger and Great Mazinger, or is that teamup I heard about just the SRW writers playing with the crossover?

You're probably mixing up things.

There's a robot called God Sigma Gravion which has a teamup with another robot called Gravion. Godmars and God Sigma don't have one.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

You're probably mixing up things.

There's a robot called God Sigma Gravion which has a teamup with another robot called Gravion. Godmars and God Sigma don't have one.

Hm. I knew about Gravion, but I could have sworn I heard that Godmars and God Sigma have a lot of interplay in these games ala Kamille and Shin in Z1 or the Mazinger bros and Getter Robo all the time, but I guess I'm mistaken.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Spiritus Nox posted:

Hm. I knew about Gravion, but I could have sworn I heard that Godmars and God Sigma have a lot of interplay in these games ala Kamille and Shin in Z1 or the Mazinger bros and Getter Robo all the time, but I guess I'm mistaken.

They seem to lump in Godmars with Baldios and God Sigma much in the same way they lump those that you mentioned together, but asides from being made by the same company and being made one after another, they really don't have much in common, and they don't do anything unique with the relationship as far as combination attacks or anything go. I don't even think Takeru has any unique dialog with the other two main pilots, or vice versa. It's kind of a loose affiliation thing.

Godmars rules, animation quality and all. Hits like a truck and moves like one on blocks. God Fire is such a hilarious attack because part of it's animation is basically stock footage of a camera shot from the inside of an opposing robot (they'll all have the same innards apparently) with the beam punching through the hull and causing an explosion. This happens even with enemies that are completely organic.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Actual series interaction here is between Godmars and Shin Mazinger, and even then it's not really Takeru and Kouji so much as Tsubasa and... Takeru's mom, whatever her name is.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Omnicrom posted:

Apparently Mars was supposed to grow up to be the conqueror of Earth, but his crash landing caused an error so he grew up unaware of his heritage or Zuul's job for him. The Anti-Proton Bomb was a last resort to help quell defiance, the power of the Gaia was supposed to be such that Mars could conquer the Earth with it and use the deadman switch as additional leverage. This didn't happen so the failsafe now represents the sword of Damocles hovering over Takeru.

That's pretty unusual though, because if you sweep aside the RULE THE GALAXY BWAHAHAHA!!! stuff, Zuul as he appears in Z2 thinks Earth is dangerous as hell (probably due to Z2 plot stuff) and wants to destroy it so it doesn't endanger his empire. Even in this chapter alone, everything he said made it pretty clear that he considers the Earth a hazard that cannot be allowed to exist.

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.

Caphi posted:

That's pretty unusual though, because if you sweep aside the RULE THE GALAXY BWAHAHAHA!!! stuff, Zuul as he appears in Z2 thinks Earth is dangerous as hell (probably due to Z2 plot stuff) and wants to destroy it so it doesn't endanger his empire. Even in this chapter alone, everything he said made it pretty clear that he considers the Earth a hazard that cannot be allowed to exist.

Truth be told, any SRW game results in an Earth that could taken on the entire universe with all the incredibly powerful robots.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Caphi posted:

From what I understand Zuul's thinking is that a completely subjugated Earth would afford him tremendous power, since he can't have Earth it's better for him to just completely destroy it. Earth in Z2 is home to Photonic energy and 2 other forms of power that are extremely important to the plot of Z2.

In a way the plot of both chapters of SRW Z2 amounts to an arms race, Earth has a number of phenomenal powers and they're being assembled and weaponized. It's a good setup for Z3 as Z2.2 ends with a clear plot hook.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
We're approaching the end of this path split.

On Bardos, Pygman is reporting to Dr. Hell. Seems Ashura has taken the Undersea Fortress Salud to go after Tsubasa Nishikiori. Dr. Hell reflects that Ashura isn't the only one with a grudge against Tsubasa... he murmurs that she killed him once here on Bardos. Odd thing to say.

Count Blocken, a headless undead cyborg Nazi (oh, Mazinger :allears:) is the next general to get orders from Dr. Hell: "Kill her, even if you have to burn down all of Atami to do it!" Blocken requests something unnamed to carry out his mission, and we can probably bet it's a nasty new Mechabeast.

Back at Izu, Naoto is sure that Takeru is a Gishin spy. The other pilots, Akagi, Kouji, and Watta, think he's jumping the gun. Akira is with Naoto, and for Kenji and Mika, the jury's still out for now.

Exhibit A, the investigation of the Gaia robot, waddles in with Ohtsuka. He says the investigation threw up a few mysteries and a few answers. And there are some answers about Takeru that need to come to light as well.

First of all, just as Naoto concluded, Takeru is a Gishin. Gaia is a Gishin weapon that runs on antiprotonic energy and Takeru's formerly latent psychic powers. And it's also the container for an antiproton bomb powerful enough to destroy the entire planet. And the bomb is set to explode if Takeru dies or loses his brain function, re-explaining why Zuul ordered his assassination. These are all things that Takeru knows (and that we know), but now the rest of the Crushers know it too.

Naoto votes to exile Takeru from the planet. He doesn't trust Takeru as an ally and actually considers him an enemy. Akira is, again, with him. (I'm pretty sure we're supposed to be remembering Baldios in Z, in which Marin Raygun had to gain the trust of his two co-pilots to form the super robot.) Takeru busts out his line about how his heart belongs to the Earth, but Naoto refuses to buy it in some harsh terms.

Ohtsuka delivers the final verdict - Takeru is to be locked up under surveillance. If nothing else, the Gishin want to kill him to destroy the planet, so he wants to keep Takeru under watch and off the battlefield.

Even Crowe can't say he's willing to entrust his back to Takeru in a fight. Takeru is forced to do as the commander orders.

After he leaves, though, he explains that he believes in Takeru too, but if the Crushers don't, then their teamwork on the field is going to break and the entire squad is going to die. Better to keep Takeru out of it so the rest of the squad doesn't suffer.

Meanwhile, over at 21st HQ, Major Busujima from the Defense Corps is trying to get Dai-Guard from the company. Ookouchi counters with an old law that basically says the military transfers all its rights to anti-Heterodyne weaponry to a private corporation, dating from when no one thought they would ever appear again. Besides, Dai-Guard is already contracted to the Peacekeeping Council. Anyway, Dai-Guard will still fight against Heterodynes and other enemies too, though under the WPC's command, not the Defense Corps.

The fact that the majority of 21st's stock is held by the Defense Corps doesn't help Busujima either. On the contrary, Ookouchi has taken it as a chance to borrow a man from the Corps as Dai-Guard's tactical advisor. Defeated, Busujima storms off, promising to be back.

When he's gone, Kamimura brings news for Ookouchi - R&D has finished the project he wanted. But in true anime style, neither of them actually say what it is.

Back at the Kurogane, Dr. Yumi has some questions for Tsubasa - the same ones Kouji has, about her past, about Juuzou, about Mazinger Z. First on the list, how does she know about Mazinger Z? "That's easy. The professor told me." He was a regular at her bathhouse, and he talked about a lot during his patronship, including Mazinger.

Second question: What's the deal with her and Ashura? Tsubasa refuses to answer that one on grounds of "Kouji's not ready to hear it yet."

The two head out to the yard, where Kouji is busy training. He's just finished 200 pushups and is about to go on to 200 situps. This is Akagi's idea of training - piloting is hard work and take serious muscle. But everyone agrees that while Shunsuke "charge!" Akagi is a good model for piloting technique, he's anything but when it comes to tactics.

Ikue and Tanigawa bring snacks for break time, and Crowe is just about starved - he had water for lunch! Poor Crowe is saving every cent he can, whenever he can, so he can earn his freedom just as quickly as possible. Watta offers to treat him to dinner at home in exchange for homework tutoring, and Crowe jumps on the deal.

Incidentally, most of PR Division 2 has come to visit, but the three big managers are back handling some kind of delivery. Akagi hopes the delivery is a new weapon for Dai-Guard. Whatever it is, it's big and expensive, and the gargantuan bill is on PR Division 2's budget.

Here's a somewhat familiar face. His name is Shiro Shirota, who you may remember from several chapters ago as a Defense Corps soldier who thinks Dai-Guard is a useless pile of crap. Unfortunately, he's now being lent to the Peacekeeping Council as the Crushers' tactical advisor, focusing on Dai-Guard.

Akagi and Shirota are already off to a bad start - on top of not thinking much of Dai-Guard, Shirota can plainly see how terrible Akagi is at running a robot. Akagi angrily responds that he'll do better next time, and the soldier leaves with ominous words: "If there is a next time."

The other employees guess that that's related to gossip about the Defense Corps trying to seize back Dai-Guard. It sounds like Shirota's main loyalties lie with them. Akagi absolutely refuses to give up Dai-Guard, but for the moment, it sounds like he's safe - qualified super robot pilots are in short supply.

Aoyama is less enthusiastic about his own position. He'll do it if the company needs him to, but gladly leave if he gets replaced. Surprising everyone, Ibuki is actually with Akagi. As long as Dai-Guard fights Heterodynes, they can take her off the team by prying her dead rear end from the navigator's seat.

Tsubasa is enjoying this. In her book, those who want to should fight and those who don't shouldn't. Aoyama is fine with that - he doesn't want to fight. But also, there's someone down in Izu who wants to fight and isn't being let, though...

In the middle of this whirlwind of mixed feelings, Yokozawa gets a call. A Spacetime Quake is forming, and a Heterodyne is expected at any moment. Aoyama reluctantly resolves himself to doing his job. Akagi is fired up to prove Shirota wrong...

Chapter 8: Resolve Tested
(Japan route)

Shirota is barking out orders. The Crushers aren't really taking to his leadership, but oh well. Gotta live with it. Meanwhile, Takeru is still under surveillance.

The Heterodyne, this one a ball-type, appears. Akagi is about to charge as usual, but Shirota has his own ideas - Mazinger and Trider will go first, and Dai-Guard will follow up. Akagi grudgingly obeys. The Crushers figure he's just being a good employee, but Kakekouji believes there's something else...

It's only the Heterodyne (named the "Globe") on the field right now. Kouji and Akagi being destroyed are both lose conditions.

Following Shirota's advice, I lead with Trider.

The Heterodyne hits back with the force of a boss.

Once Watta gets his strike in, Crowe gets a bad feeling... it's a Dimension Shock!

A small pack of Damons appears.

Crowe shouts to Akagi to deal with the Heterodyne while he handles the Damons. Shirota disagrees, but Crowe really needs to fight some Damons. Watta and Kouji offer to help him (um, whoops), leaving the Heterodyne to Dai-Guard.

The SR Point condition went from "defeat the enemies in three turns" to "defeat the enemies in three turns, saving the Globe for last."

But let's be serious here, I'm pretty sure Crowe can handle the Damons by himself. Maybe with some Cosmo Crusher help.

These ones are even worse! What the hell's going on?
Every time we fight them, they just come back stronger!

Hmm, maybe not. Guess Kouji can back him up.

He accelerates in...

and casts Strike, too, just to be safe.

I think they actually are getting stronger. Scary.

Cosmo Crusher can join that team too.

Meanwhile, Dai-Guard goes for the... drat it, Dai-Guard! I've got to get some parts to fix this. At least some goddamn movement.

Finally, Aphrodite follows Dai-Guard, who will probably need the healing most, while the Shuttle stands ready to enable some spamming from the anti-Damon team. (I keep saying that and it never becomes necessary, but it doesn't hurt.)

Turn 1 over.

The Heterodyne attacks Dai-Guard.

Also, it seems to have regenerated all of its HP.

I didn't think you'd back down that easy.
You mean when he ordered us to run backup? That's all right with me.
How? Dai-Guard exists to fight Heterodynes!
All that really matters is stopping the Heterodyne. It doesn't have to be us.
What?
This is about protecting people! If we can do that, that's all that matters!

Boy, Ibuki sure turned around fast, huh?

After Dai-Guard fights the Heterodyne, the Damons start.

And end.

With two Damons about to die within the turn, we can begin allocating resources towards taking down that pesky Heterodyne.

It has HP Regen (Medium), which restores 20% of its HP at the beginning of each of its turns, and EN Regen (Large), which restores 30% of its EN.

I'm not sure why it regenerates EN, though. Its only weapon takes a positively tiny amount of EN; it could counter my entire team for four turns straight before running out.

Crowe Hit and Aways a Damon, moving at the Heterodyne.

Kenji and Kouji team up against the other.

With all the Damons gone, it's time to shift to the Heterodyne. Sayaka hits it from safely outside its range.

Watta charges in and stabs it like a man.

(Trider status update: having trouble.)

Finally, it's Dai-Guard's turn to strike. First, Ibuki Gutses it to buffer it against the Heterodyne's attack and counterattack.

Not bad, actually. I give Dai-Guard some poo poo but he's not bad as long as the enemy is on land.

But neither was the counterstroke. Ow.

Well, it'll probably hit Dai-Guard or Trider or-

Oh crap it can move.

Defensive Support is useful because in the big scheme of things, it's taking damage like you were defending (albeit on a different unit) without giving up a counterattack.

And with regenerating bosses like this, counterattacks are welcome.

Now it's my last turn to off the Heterodyne, and I'm in just the right position to do it.

First, we prep it with Clutch Sniper...

Then we prep Akagi with Cheer. He's a little behind on levels.

Drill Arm is still Dai-Guard's closest thing to a finishing move...

Team Dai-Guard gains three levels. Ibuki gains her second Spirit, Strike.

The SR Point is over...

But the stage isn't. The Heterodyne regenerates itself and comes back for more! Apparently they can just sort of do that. Aoyama advises Akagi to retreat, but Ibuki won't have that!

Shirota says that we have to take out the Heterodyne's original Fractal Knot. Heterodynes draw power from their cores, called Fractal Knots, so destroying the core should destroy the monster for good. But how?

Sumita, Dai-Guard's maintenace head, calls in with the solution - Dai-Guard's new weapon, which is being carried to the battlefield as we speak. It's called the Knot Buster!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Xq5AKij1Dw
Using a pile, it pierces the Heterodyne's body and destroys the Fractal Knot in one clean blow.

But we're not out of the woods yet. Talos warriors and a new Mechabeast attack from the sea!

It's Ashura, and s/he's been lying in wait for us to get drained from fighting the Heterodyne. Even so, Kouji won't give up, and neither will the other Crushers. Kenji, once again taking command from Shirota, orders the team to intercept and destroy the Mechabeast!

With the SR Point in hand, the only thing left to do is fulfil the new win condition, which is destroying the new Mechabeast, Strongar T4.

He's an ugly, well-upgraded fucker with no parts to speak of.

By the way, enemies have Spirits, but they're strictly for show. I like how the Mechabeast doesn't even have SP to speak of. (Strongar's are Guts, Invincible, and Shout.)

While I'm here, the Knot Buster has been added permanently to Dai-Guard's arsenal. It's actually not a bad weapon at all, and it's the first step in Dai-Guard becoming a better super robot. (Many of the other steps, however, involve equipment parts.) Ignoring barriers and size adjustments for being smaller than the target make it a pretty good boss beater. And at four fires per stage, it has a quite reasonable lifetime outside of punching through big uglies.

Let's send Trider in. First, Aphrodite repairs it.

The Talos aren't very tough. They're also not too strong, a welcome break for Watta after getting smacked around by the Globe.

On top of that, they still have pretty bad attacking range, a welcome break for Kenji after spending a lot of SP Damon-hunting.

Mazinger has been worn down by the Damons too, but his Prevail L6 is active for it and is only going to get stronger... if Strongar doesn't take him out.

That Prevail and his Ace Bonus (plus his and Mazinger's raw brute power) are making him a damage beast, at least - powerful enough to smite down a Talos in one shot.

It may do no good as usual, but the Shuttle stands ready to fire a few shots or fuel up a robot.

Trider takes 10 damage from a Talos' strike. They're worse at anti-air operations than Dai-Guard.

After Mazinger takes out one, Crowe goes into the SRW "oh no we are clearly winning but I'm still going to comment on how much trouble we're having" routine.

Meanwhile, Takeru gets a visit from his mom. She tells him to go help his friends. With his psychic powers, he can easily escape from his little jail - and Ohtsuka was keenly aware of that fact, which can only mean one thing. Before she goes, she reassures Takeru that he really is hers and her husband's son.

Even after talking with his mother, Takeru feels he can't fight, because the entire planet is riding on his life. A mysterious voice, the one that always talks to him from in Gaia, asks if he can really, truly accept that. The voice encourages him to follow what he truly wants to do in his heart. Takeru steels his resolve and calls out for Gaia.

Takeru arrives at Atami and drowns out all of Naoto's objections with his declaration that he will fight for his friends and his home! The voice tells him that he can call the Five Gods when his spirit burns bright - or, put more succinctly, when he reaches 130 Will.

Meanwhile, the remaining Talos scratch Mazinger for 10 damage (which is, by the way, the minimum actual damage you can ever do in SRW) and then get ripped apart by the counters.

But the real threat here is Strongar T4.

It's a battle of the blowhards, and Kouji wins, dishing out serious damage while reducing Strongar's armor for the turn.

This is the SGC menu option.

It pops up this menu which looks kind of like Transform menus some other robots have, but in Gaia's case, there's no going back from Godmars.

Lacking any way to heal himself, Kouji gets healed by Mika's Trust Spirit. It'll reduce his Prevail bonuses for now, but better to stay alive.

Crowe, Dai-Guard, Aphrodite, and Gaia make their approach. On the way, the last Talos dies and Dai-Guard gets healed up.

Watta, who, unlike Kouji, can heal himself, does so and engages.

He deals serious damage, in part thanks to Rust Hurricane.

Strongar's fan range is 1-6, so Naoto uses his Snipe again to shoot the Cosmo Laser from 7 tiles away.

Last is Kouji. His outrageous damage output benefits from Rust Hurricane too.

As a boss, Strongar has been fairly damaging but not horrifyingly so. He and the Globe both managed to put out a couple thousands of damage a turn, a sum which is noticeable but not quite scary. Rest assured that this will change as I get more units and more potent defensive resources.

He'll finish off Strongar on the counter, probably, and without Cheer. But that's not so bad - he's definitely my highest level pilot right now. Getting to level 12 has even taught him the Invincible Spirit. (Speaking of defensive resources - like Alert, Invincible is something to drop right before getting into a fight with a boss unit.)

Mazinger gains defense rapidly as he loses HP. I've seen him get down to triple digits and then just take 10 damage from everything.

And that's the end of Strongar.

Count Blocken, the undead head, appears just in time to witness the end of Strongar. But that's fine by him, because he's got his orders and a new toy to carry them out with - a giant exploding Bomberbeast!

Groizer X10 is a Mechabeast that flies to its destination and then detonates, catching a 10 kilometer radius in the explosion. When Blocken accepted the order to burn all of Atami to the ground, he meant it. He programs his Groizer to fly to the Kurogane Bathhouse!

Shirota orders the Crushers to pull out for their own safety, leaving the people still in the bathhouse to their own devices. Ahh, I love a classic "hero struggles with douchebag commander" story, don't you? Akagi calls him out with a grand speech about how important each home is to its citizen, the comfort of having a place to come home to and the memories that each building shares with its residents. Kouji gets fired up and declares his resolve to protect Atami, his home.

Tsubasa has been waiting for that. She tells Kouji to fire the Photon Beam! There's one switch on Mazinger's weapons panel Kouji hasn't used yet, and the time has come to show him how to activate it.

Ashura packs up Strongar and leaves, while Groizer advances on the town.

Its destination is highlighted on the map.

To finish the stage, I have to destroy it before it reaches any of those tiles.

And it takes its turn, moving even further. Let's begin.

Groizer has a couple of turns worth of HP. That suits me just fine.

I'm going to use my powers and Godmars to defend the Earth!
I don't care what anyone says or who I have to fight! I will fight for this world!

Well, poo poo, I guess he doesn't.

Oh yeah, Groizer is a Bomberbeast as well as a Bombbeast. (Godmars is much bigger and better-armored than Gaia. It's nice.)

Yeah this is going to be over quickly.

By the way, Groizer's range is 3. It's pretty easy to outrange him.

Now he's weak. But I can't finish him until next turn.

The reason is that I'm waiting for this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cE64j-6oGNo
It doesn't go off in an event or anything even if you destroy Groizer, so I have to use it manually.

The Photon Beam is one of the wonderful things about Shin Mazinger in this game. Normally it's just one of Mazinger's weapons, and in SRW, the weakest of all his weapons, good only for energy-lean counters. But like everything else in Shin Mazinger, the Photon Beam is very serious and very outrageous, and Super Robot Wars Z2 gave it its due.

By the way, this incarnation of the Photon Beam also makes Mazinger a little bit of an oddity - you may have noticed that super robots like to get up close and personal with super attacks that hit the enemy point-blank. The normal Mazinger showings in SRW aren't an exception, showing off with Breast Fire variants, Great and Dynamic comboes with a range of a few tiles, and at best, the low-mid-range Wheel Rocket Punch. This Photon Beam is Mazinger's real finisher, and it's a non-(P) attack with a range of 7 squares. This makes Mazinger very comfortable shooting its lasers from pretty far away.

So there's a little SRW blogging for you.

So, woo, we saved the city again. Tsubasa still says Kouji has a long way to go, but he's earned a little credit. The other Crushers aren't in such great positions, though. Dai-Guard disobeyed orders from Shirota, and Takeru broke out of containment. Takeru actually has something he wants to say about that...

As usual, this message means the stage is officially over.

Takeru's message for the Crushers is simply what he's been saying all along - he's an Earthling at heart and he wants to fight with everyone.

Ohtsuka has accepted Takeru and trusts that he really does love the Earth and want to fight for it. One by one, the other Crushers agree - and Naoto is the first.

With the matter of Takeru wrapped up, Shirota confronts Akagi... and demands a report form by tomorrow morning sharp. Aww. He's taking responsibility for not properly calculating according to Dai-Guard's power, and next time, he'll command based on proper intelligence, so they'd better be ready to listen.

And contrary to Aoyama's hopes, no one on the Dai-Guard crew is getting replaced by soldiers. He might as well just accept his bad luck and stay on. (But if they do find a replacement, he's still out faster than you can say "Even salarymen can defend the world!")

In the shadows, Rika Domeki, the suspiciously young head of R&D for 21st Century, is gloating about all her theories about Heterodynes being spot on and her Knot Buster going off without a hitch. But it's not all brightness; there are still the Damons and they're getting stronger too. She's got her work cut out for her.

See you next chapter. But wait! Instead, we're going back to a time when Crowe joined Celestial Being and adventured around the world with a pack of mysterious terror robots. I actually like that path split, so hopefully everyone else enjoys it too.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jun 4, 2012

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Caphi posted:

The Photon Beam is one of the wonderful things about Shin Mazinger in this game. Normally it's just one of Mazinger's weapons, and in SRW, the weakest of all his weapons, good only for energy-lean counters. But like everything else in Shin Mazinger, the Photon Beam is very serious and very outrageous, and Super Robot Wars Z2 gave it its due.

By the way, this incarnation of the Photon Beam also makes Mazinger a little bit of an oddity - you may have noticed that super robots like to get up close and personal with super attacks that hit the enemy point-blank. The normal Mazinger showings in SRW aren't an exception, showing off with Breast Fire variants, Great and Dynamic comboes with a range of a few tiles, and at best, the low-mid-range Wheel Rocket Punch. This Photon Beam is Mazinger's real finisher, and it's a non-(P) attack with a range of 7 squares. This makes Mazinger very comfortable shooting its lasers from pretty far away.

So there's a little SRW blogging for you.
ots. I actually like that path split, so hopefully everyone else enjoys it too.

As I stated earlier in the thread Shin Mazinger Z was reportedly made with SRW in mind, and they said they intentionally added a weapon that would make an ideal MAP attack. I argue they probably imagined it was Photonic Beam, though Z2.2 actually uses a completely different attack to give Mazinger a MAP attack.

As for Ranged Mazingers that's been one of Great Mazinger's traits forever in SRW, Its Thunder Break and sometime Great Booster are designed to attack from range. Also Supers with ranged finishing moves are merely uncommon, most games have one or two super robots that have really powerful ranged attacks. A weird Super Robot would probably be Baldios from Z1 who is Gigantic, heavily armored, has a special dodge ability, and is practically a dedicated Sniper. Baldios does get a stronger melee attack about halfway through and eventually a 1-4 ranged final attack but until about 75% of the way through it works works best usually by hanging back and firing Thunder Flashes.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

King J-Der is another ranged super that's always nice. J Phoenix has stupid long range (I want to say 2-9 in W) and decent power on a unit with 3 or 4 pilots, a barrier and a bunshin clone.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Omnicrom posted:

As I stated earlier in the thread Shin Mazinger Z was reportedly made with SRW in mind, and they said they intentionally added a weapon that would make an ideal MAP attack. I argue they probably imagined it was Photonic Beam, though Z2.2 actually uses a completely different attack to give Mazinger a MAP attack.

As for Ranged Mazingers that's been one of Great Mazinger's traits forever in SRW, Its Thunder Break and sometime Great Booster are designed to attack from range. Also Supers with ranged finishing moves are merely uncommon, most games have one or two super robots that have really powerful ranged attacks. A weird Super Robot would probably be Baldios from Z1 who is Gigantic, heavily armored, has a special dodge ability, and is practically a dedicated Sniper. Baldios does get a stronger melee attack about halfway through and eventually a 1-4 ranged final attack but until about 75% of the way through it works works best usually by hanging back and firing Thunder Flashes.

That other special attack is the one that was imagined as a MAPW, the interview was way back when the show was announced, and IIRC they even said the name of the intended attack right then and there. The new Photon Beam in the show came out of left field, and that made it all the more awesome.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

TK-31 posted:

That other special attack is the one that was imagined as a MAPW, the interview was way back when the show was announced, and IIRC they even said the name of the intended attack right then and there. The new Photon Beam in the show came out of left field, and that made it all the more awesome.

Really? I just never when watching the show thought that the MAP weapon in Z2.2 should have been the MAP weapon. Photon Beam makes more sense to me.

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!

I keep forgetting to say this, but here's a nitpick: I'm 99% sure it's Atami, unless they changed the city's name in SRW for some reason.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Snot Man posted:

I keep forgetting to say this, but here's a nitpick: I'm 99% sure it's Atami, unless they changed the city's name in SRW for some reason.

No, I think I just typoed it in this one post. I'll fix it.

EDIT: poo poo, how long have I been doing that?

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Long enough I thought it had always been Amami :v:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Omnicrom posted:

Really? I just never when watching the show thought that the MAP weapon in Z2.2 should have been the MAP weapon. Photon Beam makes more sense to me.

What is and isn't a map weapon in SRW can be really weird. There's a lot of attacks that feel like they should be and just plain aren't. It seems the developers go more for "would this dramatically wreck an entire group" instead of "is this really big?"

There are even fairly regularly moves that are MAP attacks in the context of the show which aren't in-game. The Squad system helped a bit with this by giving them a midpoint between MAP and single-target with ALL attacks.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

TK-31 posted:

Long enough I thought it had always been Amami :v:

Well, it's fixed now. I'm pretty sure I wrote Atami in the first Japan post and then switched without realizing it and got used to it without realizing it. I have no idea what that was about.

MAP Weapon chat: Mazinkaiser's Fire Blaster in Alpha was a MAP weapon (I think the upgraded Mazinger's was too), and it's not like this Mazinger's Breast Fire is all that different. So it's not like Mazinger has never had a MAP-able weapon before this.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

ImpAtom posted:

What is and isn't a map weapon in SRW can be really weird. There's a lot of attacks that feel like they should be and just plain aren't. It seems the developers go more for "would this dramatically wreck an entire group" instead of "is this really big?"

There are even fairly regularly moves that are MAP attacks in the context of the show which aren't in-game. The Squad system helped a bit with this by giving them a midpoint between MAP and single-target with ALL attacks.

I'm aware. In older games the ZZ Gundam's High-Mega Cannon and the Hyaku Shiki's Mega Bazooka were exclusively MAP weapons and had no single-target/ALL version.

Caphi posted:

MAP Weapon chat: Mazinkaiser's Fire Blaster in Alpha was a MAP weapon (I think the upgraded Mazinger's was too), and it's not like this Mazinger's Breast Fire is all that different. So it's not like Mazinger has never had a MAP-able weapon before this.

Mazingers in Alpha had a MAP attack only if you fully upgraded their Breast Fire/Burn/Fire Blaster attacks. That was a thing unique to Alpha which I believe was inspired by the SNES Masoukishin game, weapons were upgrade individually instead of as a whole some could be upgrade. A couple of the Cybusters attacks are actually already upgraded like that in SRW where he appears, Hi-Familiar and the Akashic Buster where he rams the enemy were upgrades to the regular Familiar and Akashic Buster. In Alpha meanwhile Dancougar got the more powerful Dancoukougaken by upgrading the regular Dancouken and you could also create Map weapons by fully upgrading a Funnel weapon from a UC Mobile Suit, the Texas Mack's revolver, the Wing Zero's Twin Buster Rifle, and the Heavyarms (though you needed to upgrade most of its weapons fully and was therefore basically unusable).

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

When you get the chance, you should show off the ground->air version of Drill Arm. :allears:

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Phlogistic posted:

When you get the chance, you should show off the ground->air version of Drill Arm. :allears:

Oh, I will, but it didn't happen this chapter and we're not getting Dai-Guard back for ages. Also, when I'm trying to play properly I avoid getting Dai-Guard anywhere near air squadrons until I have Adapter parts. Maybe I can go back and just post him doing it out of context?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

TK-31 posted:

Actually, in addition to what you said, in the same interview they mentioned how they were sick of Photonic Beam being interpreted as Mazinger's weakest attack without any real reasoning and so they were going to go out of their way to make it look like one of its strongest.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Broken Loose posted:

Actually, in addition to what you said, in the same interview they mentioned how they were sick of Photonic Beam being interpreted as Mazinger's weakest attack without any real reasoning and so they were going to go out of their way to make it look like one of its strongest.
I like this. "Weak attack? Mazinger Z doesn't have any Weak attacks" :black101:

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
Oh hey, I haven't really ventured into the LP subforum since I stopped the SRW3 LP but it's nice to see all these other mecha LPs have sprung up in the meantime.

SRW Z and Z2 were the first games where I just started skipping through all the text instead of reading a plot synopsis-- my Japanese skills are very much not up to par (yet), but I'm pretty unsatisfied with the way MNeidengard conducts himself. Something like this is perfect for finding out what actually happened during all those stages I played through, and I've had quite a few surprises already-- mostly to do with the Celestial Being stuff.

Speaking of the SRW3 LP, I was thinking of restarting it, but I guess I should hold off on that at least until Caphi finishes the fine work he's doing here.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
Since it's been a long time, here's a refresher. This Crowe briefly met Mazinger Z and Dai-Guard, but bailed on Ankokuji after the battle and met up with Celestial Being -

quote:

If Crowe escapes and chases Celestial Being, he gets back in his transport and hightails it out of Japan, where he submits his report to Traia.

Part of his routine at times like this is going to be selling off the combat data he collected on enemy mecha for a bonus, and he's trying to push the data on the Talos and Mechabeasts. But Traia is writing it off today because he wouldn't send any reports while he was in Japan (because he was in jail!). What's left is the original 50k promised, plus a measly 5k in extra pay.

But then, Crowe's transport gets sniped into uselessness! Traia takes the whole 55k as a penalty.

To no one's surprise, Celestial Being is responsible, and they want Crowe's Blaster. Tieria says "Veda" wants to inspect it. Crowe knows he's not going to win in a four on one.

Celestial Being brings him to a little island and keeps his back to them and his hands up, careful not to show their faces. Even though we've all fought together once, haven't we? But Tieria is stone-cold as well as a stick in the mud. He (yes, if you're still in shock, Tieria is a he) asks why Crowe came after them, and Crowe's answer is...

He wants to join Celestial Being?!

The Meisters are taken aback, but at least they haven't shot Crowe yet.

This is where the new chapter begins.

Because Crowe has never adventured with the Gundams yet in this timeline, I've re-upgraded the Gundams and put all those copies of EN Save and Hit & Away back where they belong.

One of those scrolling exposition walls wanders by. It describes how the world is starting to turn upside down thanks to the near-simultaneous appearances of Celestial Being and the five Colony Gundams. There's another variable in the mix - the mysterious Dancouga, who, as we know, appears on the battlefield to aid the underdog. "Celestial Being aims to end war. Dancouga Nova appears where war is waged. [...] It was inevitable that they would meet on the battlefield."

CB has Crowe blindfolded again. Crowe claims that he wants to join Celestial Being because he believes in their vision. Tieria doesn't buy it and fires a warning shot.

Despite their rough treatment, they're really just being cautious, but honestly wouldn't mind some extra firepower. So Crowe decides to be honest. Why join Celestial Being? Well, he's an Axion test pilot, and he's being paid to gather as much practical combat data as possible. But on its own, that takes him to any mercenary gang or PMC, not a team like Celestial Being.

Well, test pilot is Crowe's job, but he has his own aims. "I want to see what you do myself. I used to be a soldier. I've got my issues with the stains on this messed-up world. I bet there are lots of people who do, the ones who don't live in nice quiet places... Now, your little declaration made some ripples. We know you mean it, we saw you hit the AEU's orbital elevator. I want to see just how far you guys are taking this with my own eyes."

Something about that hits a nerve, especially with Setsuna, but Lockon warns him that they won't let him just watch - he's going to have to get his hands dirty. Well, that suits Crowe just fine - he's "not exactly squeaky clean myself" - but seriously, first of all, do they really think they can bring an end to war?

Again, Setsuna jumps in with an emphatic "yes." The rest of the Meisters look surprised, but Crowe simply sounds content.

After a long and suspenseful pause, Celestial Being finally accepts Crowe into their ranks - but if he turns tail on them, they will hunt him down.

Now that Crowe's a real member, they remove his blindfold. Crowe immediately pegs Setsuna as the surprisingly confident one.

Setsuna replies: "You... are not Gundam." Crowe is confused.

The two mature Meisters, Tieria and Lockon, at least understand that this means Setsuna doesn't really trust Crowe. Neither do they, frankly, but he may be useful. Besides, Tieria wants to gather data on that Axion mecha - for Veda, of course. And both of them are ready to shoot Crowe in the back if he tries anything funny.

Anyway, the new mission is in, and it's in the HRL. The two wonder if they'll meet Dancouga on the battlefield. (You guys like blatant foreshadowing, right?)

The scene shifts to Dragon's Hive, home of the very Dancouga Nova.

A (goddammit) little girl named (goddammit) Ru Riruri reports that she has collected all four pilots and is bringing them back.

First is Aoi Hidaka, racer and supermodel, who was grabbed right after a big race.

Next, Kurara Tachibana, a hotshot narc yanked out from the boss's lair during a bust, and Sakuya Kamon, a homeless drifter who was apparently picked up while napping.

Lastly, Johnny Burnett, a prodigy businessman, yoinked from a taxi in transit.

After but a minute for these poor souls to wallow in confusion, Tanaka is forced to jump into business. He would like the four to pilot Dancouga Nova!

Dancouga Nova is the actual name of the robot the world is calling Dancouga, and I'll skip another explanation because we've heard of Dancouga like five times by now. But anyway, Dancouga requires four pilots, and the four are periodically cycled out. The previous pilots' contracts just ended, and these kids have been picked to fill the seats.

The group doesn't take well to being spied on without knowing and kidnapped out of nowhere, even after Tanaka makes his offer: "Let's say, take Miss Aoi's earnings last year and add a zero? We offer some very attractive benefits, as well..." Apparently, Dragon's hive is loaded. And all they have to do is put aside their current business and pilot Dancouga Nova, while keeping it an absolute secret. Even so, it's a lot to ask...

Seimi runs in with news that "they've come out," and Tanaka offers the sorta-team a chance to test drive Dancouga Nova. Without waiting for an answer, he drops them through the floor, calling after them that the controls have already been inserted into their minds while they slept (!). He'll take their final answer after they return.

Mysterious Figure calls in to say he's looking forward to the new team's performance. Also, that they've made contact with "someone," and that negotiations will take place after the mission.

Chapter 5: Beast Formation!

We arrive just in time to see the HRL forces get shot down by the WLF.

Celestial Being was hoping to crash the battle and crush both sides, but they're late - the HRL is already wiped out. Crowe is trying to figure out why Celestial Being would start poo poo with a local resistance force. But it's not just some rebels - the WLF is backing them, and other movements around here as well.

But then Lockon notices something...

It looks like the WLF let the resistance infantry charge in, then unloaded their artillery at the base, catching their own allies in the fire. The WLF really want to claim the base for themselves. So they use rebels, fight the HRL, and cause destruction, which is why Celestial Being will just destroy all their machines until they can't fight. And if the HRL just comes back with more forces, well, CB will take them out too, until they give up and stop fighting.

"They're going to end all violence in the world." "How?" "Violence. I don't think they've really thought it through."

In any case, the terrorists have finally opened fire.

Setsuna blasts off, again. Lockon, pleased to have someone else to babysit Setsuna, orders Crowe to do just that. "Finally, someone else can draw the short straw."

Defeat all enemies, don't let anyone die, do it in three turns. Simple.

Not what you'd call a complex map, either. There are a lot of units spread out to the east, and a few that will have to be dealt with on the north end, which Crowe will take care of. (I highlighted them for you - blue is me, red is them.)

Slow units and units in the back should go first, of course. Units already closed with the enemy have an advantage picking their targets. Unfortunately, Tieria can't hit anyone.

Lockon can just hit an enemy with his Snipe Spirit active.

Haro, keep your eyes on that Blaster!
Observing the Blaster! Observing the Blaster!
If he makes any odd moves, we're taking him out.
But then, we owe him for the battle at the Elevator. Let's hope we don't have to.

Other people who have played SRW games will sympathize with me when I lament that sometimes, units just can't finish enemies off.

Fortunately, it no longer prevents him from closing.

There.

Next is Allelujah. When in doubt, spread damage. No point taking out that almost-dead Leo yet.

It's terrible, Hallelujah. Monsters who step on those who are fighting for something, just to feed their ego...
But if we are to save the world, we have to be like them...!

Another action, another wounded mecha slated to die next round.

Now, because he was closer in, Setsuna can choose his targets. Rather than attacking either of the damaged mecha, he can aim at this one, which none of the others could hit. It's a good thing he didn't hit either of those first.

There is no god here, either.
You are not Gundam!

Why don't any of these stupid Gundams have animations where I can actually show the damage and the final HP at once?

Oh, and Setsuna used his Shield Defense against that one. Using a shield cuts incoming damage to 40%. It goes off automatically when anyone is taking the defense action as a defender, but in this game, requires the Block skill to go off any other time, such as just now.

Crowe shirks his duties as Setsuna's babysitter to deal with the northern team.

He gets two attacks. Neat.

So I fast-talked my way into Celestial Being. But it wasn't all an act.
You wanna just roll your little revolution game through other peoples' business? Get lost!

The short version is, it dies.

On the enemy turn...

One more Leo dies.

On trigger, a new mecha shows up.

Or, as Tieria says, four mecha. (More on that in a sec.) He guesses that they form Dancouga.

Our four new friends are on board. They are confused, bewildered, frightened, and ultimately resigned.

Tanaka calls in to let them know that they are in "Variable Beast Machines," or VBMs for short. Once they get the hang of piloting the VBMs, they'll talk about the next step. Also, they're expected to target the WLF and cooperate with Celestial Being.

Celestial Being, likewise, is ordered by Sumeragi to work with Dancouga.

The Leos go back to dying.

During this turn, Setsuna has a terrible level, but learns the Strike Spirit. He doesn't need it yet, but he will eventually against certain annoying bosses.

Other than that, this is a boring phase. Several enemies refuse to take action.

Nova Eagle (Aoi Hidaka)
Skills
???
Prevail L3
Predict
Spirits
Accel
Focus
Spirit
Traits
-
Weapons
Dan-Magnum (12 ammo)
3A Daggers (5 EN)
VBM Charge (35 EN, 110 Will, Pierce Barrier, Ignore Size)
Ace Bonus: When the "Go Wild" Skill activates, casts "Zeal" once.

Whoops, I spoiled the ??? skill. It's not going to actually come for chapters and chapters, and neither is the Ace Bonus. It happens sometimes. (The "Wild" is in the animalistic sense. It sounds Saturday Morning/Power Rangers as hell, but considering this is a game about a giant robot beating up war and/or aliens, I think that's exactly what it needs.)

VBM Charge is a little flavor curiosity that SRW has been using for a long time. The idea is that Kurara, Sakuya, and Johnny are with Aoi, but their machines only do anything when Nova Eagle uses a sort of "team attack." It happens a lot in games that can't afford squads, and occasionally in squad-based games as well - in fact, two of the three Gravion units used a team attack at some point in Z.

Note Aoi's anemic SP pool. Like Takeru's six-slot Spirit template, this should be an obvious indicator of things to come.

The stage is now proper split into two segments - the Crowe part, and the everyone else part.

The everyone else part is looking a little sketch at the moment, with a good handful of units incredibly far away.

I feel bad for feeling so gleeful when I get to doublesnipe enemies like this.

I didn't even get to, though. It went down in one critical. Crowe might be a little too upgraded, you guys.

We place Crowe in a provoking position and wait.

I'm so glad I upgraded Virtue's targetting stats.

Veda compiles information from all over the world and guides our strategies to the best effect.
Veda gave me this mission, and it instructed me to gather data on that Blaster. I will obey.

Tieria learns Invincible from his kill.

Speaking of low accuracy...

It's not great after Focus, but the machine isn't upgraded, so I can't blame it yet.

The Nova Elephant will cover you from the rear.
Then I'll charge in with my Nova Rhino!
You can't handle that alone. I'll get you in with the Nova Liger.
Whatever works for you guys. This'll be our only fight.
But this is actually a pretty nice machine... here we go, Nova Eagle!

So naive, Aoi...

Anyway, Nova Eagle isn't too impressive.

Setsuna takes out the Leo.

The moment he does, Crowe detects something coming.

It's a couple of bigass ugly machines that the WLF was keeping in reserve. Now they've come out to fight against us.

Tanaka congratulates the VBM team on mastering the the VBMs already. Now it's time to move on to something new...

Aoi yells the code.

And the four machines combine into Dancouga Nova! (drat. I wanted to do the VBM Charge at least once.)

Tanaka warns them that Nova can only operate for five minutes before its internal temperature rises beyond 100 Celsius, hot enough to boil their blood (and as Johnny says, "Hot-blooded isn't how I work").

Dancouga Nova (Aoi Hidaka, Kurara Tachibana, Sakuya Kamon, Johnny Burnett)
Skills
??? (all)
Prevail L3
Predict
Spirits
(Aoi)
Accel
Focus
Spirit
(Kurara)
Mercy
Strike
(Sakuya)
Vigor
(Johnny)
Guard
Traits
Overheat
Weapons
Missile Detonator (8 Ammo)
Metal Fist (10 EN)
Severance Cannon (40 EN, 120 Will)
Severance Sword (60 EN, 125 Will)
Ace Bonus: When the "Go Wild" Skill activates, casts "Zeal" once.

Now that Kurara, Superbum, and Johnny are all in the same machine as Aoi, they're synced and can use their Spirits on Dancouga.

Like Takeru's Gaia, Aoi's Nova Eagle can only initiate formation into Dancouga Nova when she's up to 130 Will. Unlike with Godmars, though, Dancouga has a time limit, which is helpfully displayed on Nova's main info screen. That said, it's an incredibly long timer, and I've honestly never seen it come into play.

Also, we've got Skill Active indicators so we know Aoi's Predict skill, which raises her accuracy, evasion, and critical rates by 10% each, has turned on.

Oh, and the last two weapons are a terrible joke being played on non-Japanese people (maybe Japanese people, too). "Dancouga" can be, and frequently is, written in kanji that, in a terribly roundabout way, stand for "I clear my mind of all and sever myself from sin." Dancouga and some of its weapons are named after the parts of that saying that mean "sever" and "clear mind."

By the way, I think Aoi needs EN Save too.

This is the enemy, the Genocidron Tank. It's big and ugly and has thick skin. There are two of them.

The last two Gundams move up.

Ah, Setsuna still has his second turn, from taking out that terrorist while qualifying for Chain Actions.

I guess they're minibosses of sorts, but they share more characteristics with ships or tanks - slow, powerful, and tough.

Not a terrible position.

Turn over.

Crowe goes back to work, countering both his remaining enemies.

Meanwhile, over on the east side...

All these bodies might actually pose a threat to my time limit. Not the Dancouga one, the hard mode one.

One of the Genocidrons (who named them that? how do you sell machines called that?) moves without attacking. The other tries to cannon Dancouga.

Checking the power output. Absolute Active Generator is stable.
I'll handle the aiming for you.
Perfect. All right, Dancouga Nova, just do what I need you to.
Wait, don't I get a sweet weapon?
Come on! I'll give you a taste of Dancouga Nova's power!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63noG8f3SD0
Aoi counters with Dancouga Kick Your rear end Weapon #1.

For a last turn, this is actually quite handleable.

A good first step is to push damage using Lockon's Offensive Support.

Tieria stops all the counterattack damage with his GN Field.

That's one of the nasty targets down.

Next, we use Lockon, whose usefulness as a supporter is basically spent because of his positioning, to take out one of the sad little enemies.

With his two turns, Setsuna deals with the others.

Finally, there's only one enemy left...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8tviiu_F6s
Dancouga Nova to-do list: Cannon dynamic kill, VBM Charge.

The SR Point is in hand.

Looks like we're all done here.

The Dancouga team is all awed at the experience of piloting Dancouga.

Lockon's orders from Sumeragi are to follow Dancouga back to their base and do as their commander says.

Looks like Celestial Being's people are already at Dragon's Hive, Sumeragi even coming down from space. It's her habit to meet her partners in person. So basically, Celestial Being and Dancouga Nova are officially a team, and Crowe, being sort of a CB member, is along for the ride. The Meisters still don't trust Dragon's Hive, but Sumeragi assures them that they have something to gain from the partnership.

Tanaka introduces himself to the Meisters as "not the top commander. Just sort of middle management." His boss is the one with the resources to contact the likes of Celestial Being. Speaking of which, Veda has recognized the partnership as well, surprising Tieria.

Crowe asks what this Veda thing is, since Tieria won't shut up about it. But first, Sumeragi introduces herself as Celestial Being's tactician and commander.

Liu-Min is, as you know, one of their agents. This other fellow is Hon-Long, her bodyguard. Crowe isn't terribly pleased to find that he's working for ladies again.

So anyway, Veda is the brain of Celestial Being's operation, a high-power, high-security quantum computer. So high-security that Tieria is absolutely baffled at how Dragon's Hive's leader could make contact with it.

Crowe's next question is about the reactors on the Gundams' backs. It seems pretty obvious to him that Celestial Being's force is based on those devices. Sumeragi can tell him only the device's name: the GN Drive.

Now that CB has spilled a little on some of its secrets, it's Tanaka's turn. After all, Celestial Being's goal is to end war. Dancouga seems to be messing with wars. What brings these two together, when it looks like they're opposed? Why shouldn't Celestial Being consider Dancouga Nova a threat to be destroyed?

Tanaka insists that Dragon's Hive is actually working to the same goal as Celestial Being, in a way, but can't explain why Dancouga always stirs up conflicts by supporting the losing side. He can only say that they have a different outlook on what it takes to end war. If they could at least trust him to cooperate nicely with Celestial Being as long as their partnership lasts?

Speaking of Dancouga, they're still working on the pilots' contracts. In the meantime, Tanaka offers Celestial Being full use of the base's facilities so they can rest and relax. Still, there's to be no relaxing in this uneasy partnership. Both sides have secrets, and neither is expecting the deal to last very long, but we'll see what happens while it does. For Crowe, it doesn't matter too much which way the balance of power shifts, as long as he gets data to sell back to Traia...

Nova Eagle/Dancouga Nova joins the party. See you next chapter.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Always enjoy seeing this get updated, keep up the good work!

I posted this in the megathread earlier, but I just started my own playthrough alongside Mneidengard's guide, and I really do love how they handle the cross-series interaction so far. There's just a lot of really clever ways they combine they various settings and make characters aware of events beyond their own series. I already thought Z1 was pretty good about this, but this game just takes it even further.

I will say that I wonder how well that will hold up once ZEUTH inevitably shows up, being out of context from everyone here.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Wait, so this version of Dancougar has a token guy instead of a token girl? Is there some sort of wacky harem anime hijinks to go along with this? Or-

SRWZ posted:

CLEAVAGE
Ah, there we go then.

Actually, could someone more versed in Super Robots tell me about this one? Seems to me like a robot with a mostly female crew is the exception rather than the rule.

Also, since this game uses Shin Mazinger, I'm assuming that (not sure if this is a spoiler or not but better safe than sorry) Tetsuya and Great Mazinger never show up? Cuz if so that's a drat shame, it's been one of the better units in every SRW game I've played.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Alacron posted:

Wait, so this version of Dancougar has a token guy instead of a token girl? Is there some sort of wacky harem anime hijinks to go along with this? Or-

Ah, there we go then.

Actually, could someone more versed in Super Robots tell me about this one? Seems to me like a robot with a mostly female crew is the exception rather than the rule.

Also, since this game uses Shin Mazinger, I'm assuming that (not sure if this is a spoiler or not but better safe than sorry) Tetsuya and Great Mazinger never show up? Cuz if so that's a drat shame, it's been one of the better units in every SRW game I've played.

Dancougar Nova is literally Gravion Drei. It even features characters from Gravion in it, admittedly in cameo form. For some reason they decided to make it a Dancougar show instead, but it is in all respects indistinguishable from another Gravion show. It is also terrible. Like, seriously just an all-around bad show.

Tetsuya and Great never show, no.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?

Alacron posted:

Ah, there we go then.

I'm not sure which one you think is the girl, but Dancouga Nova has two male and two female pilots. Sakuya and Johnny are both guys.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Son Ryo posted:

I'm not sure which one you think is the girl, but Dancouga Nova has two male and two female pilots. Sakuya and Johnny are both guys.

Wait seriously? Huh, usually I'm pretty good at spotting that now.

For the record, I thought Sakuya was a girl, his looks and name seem more girlish than Johnny to me.

Edit: Thanks for the prompt response ImpAtom, I shall duly avoid this one then.

Alacron fucked around with this message at 06:35 on Jun 10, 2012

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE

Alacron posted:

SRWZ posted:

CLEAVAGE
Ah, there we go then.

This actually made me laugh.

I don't blame you for thinking Sakuya was a girl. They all look pretty girly to me, except, Johnny is named "Johnny."

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Dancougar Nova isn't just Gravion Drei in style and mechanical design, it's also Gravion Drei in gameplay terms. In SRW Z you didn't initially get the God Gravion, instead you got it's central component the Grankaiser. Just like the Nova Eagle at 130 Morale you could initiate God Combination and turn into God Gravion for several turns (3 for God Gravion). That weakness is eventually overcome when you eventually get Aoi's ability, just as it was when the Gravion was upgraded. Speaking of I usually call Aoi's ability "Aggressive Beast" because that's the little caption on the cinema scene when Dancougar activates the same ability in @3.

The other thing about Dancougar Nova that I think is really interesting is that it's not really a sequel to Dancougar as much as it is the sequel to the version of Dancougar from Super Robot Wars. I'll go into it in greater detail when we meet the original Dancougar team, but suffice to say that Dancougar as most people know it from SRW bears almost no resemblance to the original anime "Cyber Beast Force Dancougar".

Also a couple of things I've been forgetting to mention. Firstly the "Blocking" Ability that Caphi mentioned in the still where Setsuna used his shield has been removed in Z2.2. In that game you're automatically able to Shield Block, Sword Cut, and Shoot Down (not sure that's in Z2.2 actually). Secondly the Groizer X-10 mechabeasts that the Crushers fought in the previous update are actually a reference to another Go Nagai show, Groizer X was a show from the 70s about a husband and wife team who fought the requisite evil empire in their transforming robot. In fact the Kurogane 5 are all Go Nagai characters from different media, one of the draws of Shin Mazinger is all the old-school Go Nagai characters and mecha who show up.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

One thing I've been meaning to ask - is there such a thing as a Shin Great Mazinger yet? I'd quite like to see an updated version of stuff like Double Burning Fire, Mazinger Blade, Thunder Break, etc.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Spiritus Nox posted:

One thing I've been meaning to ask - is there such a thing as a Shin Great Mazinger yet? I'd quite like to see an updated version of stuff like Double Burning Fire, Mazinger Blade, Thunder Break, etc.

No there is not.

And you're basically rubbing salt in the wound by asking.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Alacron posted:

Is there some sort of wacky harem anime hijinks to go along with this?

Nope. In fact, the only semblance of any of the characters being romantically interested in another is, well, you'll see much later. In fact, don't expect Aoi or Kurara in any romantic subplot because they seem to be married to their work or something. Aoi is "hot-blooded super robot protagonist" but female, while Kurara is basically Rally Vincent from Gunsmith Cats but with less guns.

ImpAtom posted:

Dancougar Nova is literally Gravion Drei. It even features characters from Gravion in it, admittedly in cameo form. For some reason they decided to make it a Dancougar show instead, but it is in all respects indistinguishable from another Gravion show. It is also terrible. Like, seriously just an all-around bad show.

It's a drat shame, too, because female leads in super robot shows are rare enough as it is. Dancouga Nova, much like the original Dancouga, are actually better in SRW than they are in their respective shows (arguably Gravion as well). The only positives I can say about Dancouga Nova is that it is pretty short (12 or 13 episodes, can't remember) and the main antagonist is voiced by Norio Wakamoto.

Spiritus Nox posted:

Someday, I hope...

Someday...

:negative:

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Jun 11, 2012

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mercury Crusader posted:

Someday, I hope...

Someday...

:negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Dancouga Nova's theme song is awesome, at least.

But yeah, combining robot crews generally either have one token chick or no women at all.

• Locked thread