Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Bob Morales posted:

Hurr like OS X right

Runs pretty snappy on my SSD :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

ZFS isn't much of a hog until you enable fancy features.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Bob Morales posted:

I was going to say, they forgot to update the product description but it's still true :smug:

Nah that's 10.4. :woz:

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

~Coxy posted:

Nah that's 10.4. :woz:

I miss Tiger. It was my first real runaround with OS X. :unsmith:

I know it's technically still under NDA and not valid for public discussion, but I noticed that Mountain Lion phases out compatibility for the old Intel GMA 950s and X3100s. While perhaps overdue with 10.7, has it been publicly mentioned if 10.8 is doing anything more intense graphically than 10.7? I'm just curious if it's more a case of Apple phasing out support for legacy devices than actual performance needs.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well 10.8 is dropping support for a bunch of Intel Macs if I'm not mistaken; Is it possible that they just all happen to be models that have 950s and x3100s?

I mean if you're not going to support the platform then there's really no need to keep the drivers current.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

My MBA has started requiring a password after waking from sleep. I haven't ticked the box for that to happen in Security and Privacy and can't seem to turn it off. Any idea why it's happening and how I stop it?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Space Racist posted:

I know it's technically still under NDA and not valid for public discussion, but I noticed that Mountain Lion phases out compatibility for the old Intel GMA 950s and X3100s. While perhaps overdue with 10.7, has it been publicly mentioned if 10.8 is doing anything more intense graphically than 10.7? I'm just curious if it's more a case of Apple phasing out support for legacy devices than actual performance needs.

I think the graphics issue is a secondary thing. The macs which run those chips are the ones that can't boot into a 64 bit kernel. Same reason early mac pros are getting bummed.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
So it looks like the update to 10.7.4 has turned on some super-bold font rendering

Any way to change it back?
I tried the
code:
defaults -currentHost write -g AppleFontSmoothing -int 2
method, didn't change anything.

modig
Aug 20, 2002

Tutu posted:

My MBA has started requiring a password after waking from sleep. I haven't ticked the box for that to happen in Security and Privacy and can't seem to turn it off. Any idea why it's happening and how I stop it?

Did you turn on File Vault 2?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is it possible for me to have the speakers on my MBP play one thing (say, a song from iTunes) and my headphones play something else (say, a Skype conversation)? Or I guess vice versa would make more sense, but either way, I want to know if it's possible to output two different independent sound streams.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is it possible for me to have the speakers on my MBP play one thing (say, a song from iTunes) and my headphones play something else (say, a Skype conversation)? Or I guess vice versa would make more sense, but either way, I want to know if it's possible to output two different independent sound streams.

Skype has a preference for which speakers to use, and you can choose your output for the system (and therefore iTunes) by option clicking the volume menu bar option if you have it there.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

IUG posted:

Skype has a preference for which speakers to use, and you can choose your output for the system (and therefore iTunes) by option clicking the volume menu bar option if you have it there.

Skype was just an example, I'm looking for something that works with all programs universally.

Option clicking the volume menu bar only gives me this:

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

I think SoundFlower or one of Rogue Amoeba's products is able to do that.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006
If you have USB headphones or a USB audio adapter yes. Otherwise no, you can't use the builtin headphone port and system speakers as separate devices.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

What do you guys think of Pulp?

AmbassadorTaxicab
Sep 6, 2010

Doesn't seem like anything Reader wouldn't do.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

IUG posted:

Pretty sure 10.7 has discrete default in/out device settings. Skype goes through a wireless headset shared with my phone, but system sounds go to my headphones.

Blaisedell
May 7, 2008

modig posted:

Did you turn on File Vault 2?

Nope I don't have file vault turned on. I thought it might be because I have an eduroam profile for university, but I removed that and it's still requiring a password when waking from sleep.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009
Is there a free way I can increase/override volume level on 10.7.4?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Random question. I have a Mac, obviously. I'm trying to find some extra space on my internal hard drive.

iTunes is one of my biggest space hogs at 95.6gb. But I notice below THAT, it lists all my individual album folders. Is this redundant if my only means of music distribution /playing music is iTunes and iPhones, etc.

Like, am I storing all my MP3s in the Mac's Music folder *AND* are they living in the iTunes Library file?

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:

Feenix posted:

Random question. I have a Mac, obviously. I'm trying to find some extra space on my internal hard drive.

iTunes is one of my biggest space hogs at 95.6gb. But I notice below THAT, it lists all my individual album folders. Is this redundant if my only means of music distribution /playing music is iTunes and iPhones, etc.

Like, am I storing all my MP3s in the Mac's Music folder *AND* are they living in the iTunes Library file?

That depends on your iTunes settings. If, in iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced, you've ticked "Keep iTunes media organized" and "Copy files to iTunes folders", and then you've gone to File -> Library -> Organize Library and checked "Consolidate Files", you can safely say that all of your iTunes library is only referencing the contents of your iTunes folder and subfolders.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Terpfen posted:

That depends on your iTunes settings. If, in iTunes -> Preferences -> Advanced, you've ticked "Keep iTunes media organized" and "Copy files to iTunes folders", and then you've gone to File -> Library -> Organize Library and checked "Consolidate Files", you can safely say that all of your iTunes library is only referencing the contents of your iTunes folder and subfolders.

Yeah looks like I did. I moved everything to an external, and deleted the ones off my Mac and everything plays in iTunes.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I spent a short part of my weekend setting up an email server using Lion Server and I thought it's worthwhile to document what I did to get it to work:

1. Buy and download Lion Server from Mac App Store.
2. Launch Server.app and let it do it's thing.
3. Once Server.app is done doing it's thing, turn on Mail.
4. There is no step 4. (in most cases)

I wanted to host multiple domains with the email server, so that was slightly more difficult:

1. Download and install Server Admin Tools.
2. Launch Server Admin.app and go to the Mail service under your server.
3. Go to Settings > Advanced > Hosting.
4. Check "Enable virtual hosting" and add the domains you want to host email.
5. Launch Workgroup Manager.app.
6. Add new users, and add their respective email addresses under the Info tab.

Of course I'm not factoring in changing MX settings and stuff, but it's obviously really easy to setup a full-blown email server with Lion Server.

A few notes from my experience:
* For whatever reason I couldn't login to the mailbox that was associated with my Apple ID at first. Then I looked at Workgroup Manager.app and saw my normal account (different from the account I made for the mailbox) had the same email address record, because I associated my Apple ID with my account. Removing the association in System Preferences > Users & Groups fixed it.
* For whatever reason, the default site under Web defaulted to /var/empty for me. This required changing DocumentRoot in /etc/apache2/sites/0000_any_80_.conf to /Library/Server/Web/Data/Sites/Default then restarting the web server (serveradmin stop web && serveradmin start web).
* To add server-side email rules, it's easiest to do it through the webmail client. Also the webmail client is actually pretty good and hardly ugly.
* Since I'm hosting email at home on consumer broadband, it's likely my IP address will change. I setup ddclient through homebrew to handle updating domain records.
* Related to above, I use authsmtp.com to handle outgoing emails without being flagged as spam. $32 for a year, relatively cheap in my opinion.
* I haven't dealt with SSL certificates yet; when you install Server, it automatically generates self-signed ones that seem to work well enough for my purposes.
* Email push notifications for iOS are handled through Apple Push Notification server; you configure this through Server.app by clicking on your server under the hardware section. Requires an Apple ID.
* If you have an Apple router, Server can automatically configure it for you to work with running services.

wolffenstein fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 28, 2012

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Space Racist posted:

While they graphically suck, the CPUs weren't that great either, always getting massively hot and slow compared to even later C2D CPUs.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.
I'm sure this is a simple question to answer, but I'm having a hard time phrasing it as a query for Google.

When I restart my computer, the volume level goes waaaaay the gently caress up nearly to the top instead of staying at the level I left it at before it was shut down. Anybody know of a way to fix that? Drives me nuts.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

TheState posted:

I'm sure this is a simple question to answer, but I'm having a hard time phrasing it as a query for Google.

When I restart my computer, the volume level goes waaaaay the gently caress up nearly to the top instead of staying at the level I left it at before it was shut down. Anybody know of a way to fix that? Drives me nuts.
Reset your PRAM

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Didion posted:

Is there a free way I can increase/override volume level on 10.7.4?

Boom

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

It's not free, though, $6.99 from the App Store.. but it appears to be a good solution.

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Binary Badger posted:

It's not free, though, $6.99 from the App Store.. but it appears to be a good solution.

Sadly not, but it is a fantastic app in general. As well as making things louder, it has a great equaliser option.

Didion
Mar 16, 2009

Experto Crede posted:

Sadly not, but it is a fantastic app in general. As well as making things louder, it has a great equaliser option.

Yeah, I saw that one earlier, but don't have funds for it on the credit card atm. Ah well, thanks anyway :)

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008
So I accidentally applied a charge back on the iTunes Store, and it has created a monster of a problem for me.

It took two days for them to re-enable my account after an automatic closure, and now that it is working they have banned my only credit card from being used. This is after I explained the mistake, and allowed them to re-bill me on the items that were charged back.

What the hell am I suppose to do? Do they expect me to have a credit card re-issued just because they decided to ban it? I have already replied explaining my situation, but I am not hopeful after doing a quick google search.

I really don't want to hear "buy many gift cards," as an answer...

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Oh My Science posted:

So I accidentally applied a charge back on the iTunes Store, and it has created a monster of a problem for me.

It took two days for them to re-enable my account after an automatic closure, and now that it is working they have banned my only credit card from being used. This is after I explained the mistake, and allowed them to re-bill me on the items that were charged back.

What the hell am I suppose to do? Do they expect me to have a credit card re-issued just because they decided to ban it? I have already replied explaining my situation, but I am not hopeful after doing a quick google search.

I'm currently on my third iTunes account after the previous two have been closed for whatever reason (I genuinely have no idea. All purchases were always fine, I've just had two accounts closed!). Needless to say apple support on the matter is useless so I can't see much good coming of this.

HATE TROLL TIM
Dec 14, 2006

Oh My Science posted:

Attach a PayPal account to the iTMS account and just use that card as a funding option.

Or just get your bank to issue you new cards. Just tell them you lost a card, they'll overnight you a new one. (Amex and chase at least.)

Oh My Science
Dec 29, 2008

Experto Crede posted:

I can't see much good coming of this.

I may have ranted a little early, Apple has already responded and my credit card has been un-banned.

I am still somewhat disappointed it took an escalation of the issue to correct this, plus the two days it took to get an answer, but so be it. There is no way in hell I would have created another account just because of this.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
It sucks that it takes a while to resolve but chargebacks are no trivial thing. I'm not sure the circumstances that resulted in your accidental chargeback, but they cost Apple a bunch of money and generally there are limits to how many chargebacks the credit companies allow merchants before they start cracking down.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

DarkJC posted:

It sucks that it takes a while to resolve but chargebacks are no trivial thing. I'm not sure the circumstances that resulted in your accidental chargeback, but they cost Apple a bunch of money and generally there are limits to how many chargebacks the credit companies allow merchants before they start cracking down.

Yeah, chargebacks can cost the merchant $50-$100+ in penalty fees alone (though I'd bet Apple is big and important enough that their rate is probably lower than that). I'm puzzled about how anyone could accidentally do a chargeback to begin with. Like you say it's no trivial thing.

Catalyst-proof
May 11, 2011

better waste some time with you
So what do people use for "capturing" things? I mean like taking pieces of webpages and turning them into PDFs archived somewhere that can be tagged, capturing images and notes, etc. I've heard good things about Evernote and Yojimbo. Would prefer if nothing was shoved in some inscrutable application database, and I could always access the data even if I were to stop using the application.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Fren posted:

So what do people use for "capturing" things? I mean like taking pieces of webpages and turning them into PDFs archived somewhere that can be tagged, capturing images and notes, etc. I've heard good things about Evernote and Yojimbo. Would prefer if nothing was shoved in some inscrutable application database, and I could always access the data even if I were to stop using the application.

I either use Evernote with the Google Chrome clipper extension, or just "print" it as a PDF and squirrel it away and count on Spotlight turning it up when I need it.

strokevictim
Oct 9, 2000

Manky posted:

I either use Evernote with the Google Chrome clipper extension, or just "print" it as a PDF and squirrel it away and count on Spotlight turning it up when I need it.

Or File -> Save As and depending on your browser save it as a Web Archive or other format of choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

question regarding upgrading to lion from leopard.

I know you need to upgrade to snow leopard first. BUT, if I need to install lion on two computers, can I purchase one copy of each? ive never used a retail SL disc before, or the lion USB stick.

to recap: 2 macs, both leopard, both need lion. can I get by with a single copy of SL and Lion?

EDIT: according to http://lowendmac.com/newsrev/11mnr/0819.html I can do the lion bit fine as they are all owned by one person. so can I use a single retail copy of SL?

Laserface fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 29, 2012