Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tjl
Aug 6, 2005

ICA posted:

Not sure if this is the best place for this but here goes.

Can anyone tell me an easy / step by step way of forwarding my emails from my two Hotmail accounts (@hotmail.co.uk & @caledonian.ac.uk) to my Gmail acc? Tried myself but Hotmail's Outlook options are unmanageable and I can't see anything in Gmail's settings.

Thanks.
Not quite following what you mean by Hotmail Outlook options. The easiest way to forward those accounts would be to login via the MSN live website, and change your account settings.

https://login.live.com

Sign in with your e-mail address and password. Once you're in, click on your name in the top right, choose Options. On the options page, click "Mail" on the left menu. Then click on "Email Forwarding" under the Managing your account section. Pretty self explanitory from here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ICA
Nov 23, 2007

by Y Kant Ozma Boo
Thanks, tried that though and when I get to the adding account part, I try to add a gmail acc. and I get this message

quote:

Outlook Web App couldn't connect to the server for your other account. Please click the Back button and make sure that you entered your e-mail address and password correctly.
If they're correct, make sure POP or IMAP access is enabled for your other account. If you don't know how to find that setting, read this.

If the problem continues, you can enter POP or IMAP connection settings for your other account.

Nebulis01
Dec 30, 2003
Technical Support Ninny

ICA posted:

Not sure if this is the best place for this but here goes.

Can anyone tell me an easy / step by step way of forwarding my emails from my two Hotmail accounts (@hotmail.co.uk & @caledonian.ac.uk) to my Gmail acc? Tried myself but Hotmail's Outlook options are unmanageable and I can't see anything in Gmail's settings.

Thanks.

If your Hotmail accounts are old enough they support being checked via POP3, or you can pay for the feature. Gmail supports checking multiple accounts under Settings > Accounts and Import > Check mail from other accounts (POP3). Just have gmail check and download w/ delete.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT
Crosspost from the poo poo that pisses you off thread. Anyone have any ideas on this?

Does anyone else have issues with incoming emails getting bounced back before even hitting their mail server?

We have our MX records setup with weighted values, with our Primary IP for our mailserver being the preferred, then our backup IP being lower on the totem pole.

We have no issues with any mail except for AOL mail. Incoming email from AOL will either randomly work or bounce back. If it bounces back, it won't even hit our servers, gets caught with the MX records. They seem to completely ignore weighted values in MX records, and randomly pick where to route to. Thus when going to our backup line (which isn't active unless our primary goes down), they will fail.

Anyone else have this issue? We currently have been telling people to use something other than AOL (most of these people are loving attorneys, get off AOL email), but if there is something I could change so it doesn't come up 3 times a week, that would work just as well.

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
Can you just can the backup MX record for now, and add it back in in the event that your primary is down?

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Mierdaan posted:

Can you just can the backup MX record for now, and add it back in in the event that your primary is down?

The way it is setup now, I don't even notice if we failover to our backup connection (our firewall will do it automatically, and flip back when the primary is back online). There probably is a setting to notify me of it on the SonicWall, but normally I would not care. Also having to worry about changing MX records in the middle of the night if the connection goes down would be a pain in the rear end.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

How's your reverse DNS? I seem to recall AOL being super picky about that.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

Lovie Unsmith posted:

How's your reverse DNS? I seem to recall AOL being super picky about that.

Not setup properly (I think it works for one of the IPs, but not the backup, not positive though). If I recall correctly we need to work with our ISP on that, correct?

Our DNS and MX records were recently setup by my bosses super smart DNS expert consultant (friend), and I think he did a pretty good job, but I vaguely remember them saying they needed to work with our ISP for reverse DNS. I'll ask if if they just gave up on that, or are planning on revisiting it.

Edit: I don't have much experience setting up DNS/MX records past anything basic, so if my response seems idiotic, feel free to point it out.

Edit 2:

http://postmaster.aol.com/Postmaster.Errors.php#whatisrdns

AOL loves reverse DNS apperently.

Moey fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 15, 2012

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Just call your ISP and tell them you need to have a reverse pointer set up for your domain. In most of my clients cases, this is mail.domainname.com, pointing to the outside IP address of your Exchange server.

Most every ISP I have ever dealt with will do this with little to no issue. The only guys I have ever encountered that did not do this is this lovely Satellite provider for one of my clients in the New Jersey Pine Barrens.

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

I know MailArchiva was mentioned earlier on this thread, but not much discussion seemed to ensue. Does anybody have any experience with using either the open-source or enterprise version for simple external Exchange journaling? We need to get something in place for email discovery that won't cause our nightly Exchange backup to explode, so using a traditional Exchange '10 journaling account is out of the question.

The Enterprise version is about half the price of a Barracuda Mail Archiver, and I have a spare server sitting here. I've already got the OSE set up in a VM for testing, it seems to work as desired. The software seems great, I'm just wondering how stable this is going to be with hundreds of gigabytes of email down the road. The open-source community behind this seems kind of dead, which really worries me when it comes to something so user-friendly that normally seems to warrant an enthusiastic userbase.

babies havin rabies fucked around with this message at 16:20 on May 16, 2012

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
:suicide: Seriously, shoot me. Let me start by saying that all I know about exchange 2003 is from googling and "experience" (not much).

A lot of emails are being bounced back today, saying that we've been blacklisted. I logged into our mail server to see this:

If I open one of those queues, for exmaple the one for zwallet.com that has 377 messages, they're all like this:

:wtf: What the gently caress do I do? I've quickly "frozen" all suspicious connections, but how do I trace this down to stop it from submitting more poo poo?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sounds like maybe you have anonymous relaying on. Google how to turn that off.

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

Internet Explorer posted:

Sounds like maybe you have anonymous relaying on. Google how to turn that off.

i concur, though how why relaying would be get turned on in this decade is far beyond me.

Alfajor
Jun 10, 2005

The delicious snack cake.
Relaying wasn't it. I looked through the security logs and thankfully these emails were all sent outside business hours, so it was easy to find the activity.
There was an AD account called "tech" with a loving password of "password". I blew that account out without even asking.
40000+ emails deleted later..... :sweatdrop:

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Me reaping: Well this fucking sucks. What the fuck.
Pillbug

Alfajor posted:

Relaying wasn't it. I looked through the security logs and thankfully these emails were all sent outside business hours, so it was easy to find the activity.
There was an AD account called "tech" with a loving password of "password". I blew that account out without even asking.

I was going to say, the smtp logs will tell you quick if it's from an authenticated account relaying or if it's just an open relay. Always the first conclusion you should reach when you see this.

Also shivering at the thought of using anything besides powershell to deal with 40,000 messages.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Alfajor posted:

I do not miss Exchange 2003 one bit...

SPEAKING OF WHICH. I'm going someplace to do a migration from SBS 2003 (lmao) to 2008r2/exch 2010. I plan on following this guide: http://demazter.wordpress.com/2010/04/29/migrate-small-business-server-2003-to-exchange-2010-and-windows-2008-r2/

any horrible gotchas I should keep in mind?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Nevergirls posted:

I do not miss Exchange 2003 one bit...

SPEAKING OF WHICH. I'm going someplace to do a migration from SBS 2003 (lmao) to 2008r2/exch 2010. I plan on following this guide: http://demazter.wordpress.com/2010/04/29/migrate-small-business-server-2003-to-exchange-2010-and-windows-2008-r2/

any horrible gotchas I should keep in mind?
can't speak to that specific migration path as I did Ex 2k3 -> 2010 directly but I'd leave the old server in place for a while to make sure everything is peachy before decommissioning it.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

LmaoTheKid posted:

can't speak to that specific migration path as I did Ex 2k3 -> 2010 directly but I'd leave the old server in place for a while to make sure everything is peachy before decommissioning it.

because it's SBS I can't just leave parts of the server though (or so I'm told). if I want to make the 2008r2 server the primary dc I have to completely decommission the SBS.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Wait, what?

First of all Primary/Secondary roles for DCs aren't really a thing anymore. The only thing that is unique to one dc is your FSMO roles and global catalogs (which I always make my DCs GC).

I don't see why you can't leave the old SBS server up for a day or two after you've done the transition. Is SBS really that restrictive?

babies havin rabies
Feb 24, 2006

LmaoTheKid posted:

I don't see why you can't leave the old SBS server up for a day or two after you've done the transition. Is SBS really that restrictive?

When we did a migration from SBS '03 to '08 R2 this was the case.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

babies havin rabies posted:

When we did a migration from SBS '03 to '08 R2 this was the case.

Wow, I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
You have something like 3 weeks to have two SBS machines running on the same domain before one of them will start shutting down every few hours.

Or if you want to go outside of official support channels, forever: http://www.bursky.net/index.php/2012/02/disable-sbs-migration-grace-period-expiration/

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

SBS2011 comes with a tool to extend the time out beyond the default, and I think SBS2008 did the same thing.

But yes, SBS has very cheap licensing, and this is one of the things that is restricted because of that.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Hi all.

I have a production environment with an Exchange 2007 implementation, 1 CAS/HUB server and a Exchange 2010 environment in implementation, with 3 CAS/HUB servers and 4 mailbox servers. What would be the best way in the interim to configure SMTP traffic to flow back and forth from the production environment to the 2010 environment, leaving the production environment configured the way it is for now (mail flows from smarthost to 2007 CAS server) ? The project plan is to have both environments running in parallel, conduct trials and gain acceptance to migrate users and services.

It's been years since I've done 2003 and lately I've been more tied up with project management and running the business. I've had to pick up on this project due to a resource failing to clear a NRC background check, so I apologize for the ignorance.

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

R-Type posted:

Hi all.

I have a production environment with an Exchange 2007 implementation, 1 CAS/HUB server and a Exchange 2010 environment in implementation, with 3 CAS/HUB servers and 4 mailbox servers. What would be the best way in the interim to configure SMTP traffic to flow back and forth from the production environment to the 2010 environment, leaving the production environment configured the way it is for now (mail flows from smarthost to 2007 CAS server) ? The project plan is to have both environments running in parallel, conduct trials and gain acceptance to migrate users and services.

It's been years since I've done 2003 and lately I've been more tied up with project management and running the business. I've had to pick up on this project due to a resource failing to clear a NRC background check, so I apologize for the ignorance.

If they are entirely separate organizations / administrative groups / active directory deployments, then you would simply configure send connectors with specific address space parameters.

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Linux Nazi posted:

If they are entirely separate organizations / administrative groups / active directory deployments, then you would simply configure send connectors with specific address space parameters.

This deployment is within the same organization / domain as the 2007 exchange environment.

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail
So I'm working at a place with a very small IT dept- Two of us handle around 350 computers and another guy handles IMB iSeries stuff. So none of us are exchange experts or have a lot of time to devote to it right now until we hire a new guy. Recently a bunch of our Outlook 03 users have been getting the "retrieving data" message. We run Exchange 03 and this problem is specific to Outlook 03 users. They're already running cache mode, no extra add-ins and no obscenely large mailboxes . There should be no connectivity issues- We did upgrade our core switch recently but these problems started being reported late enough after that upgrade that I'd be hesitant to blame that.

We tried to run the various exchange analyzer tools, but none of the newer versions work on server 2k apparently.

Any pointers?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

How many items are in the Inbox / Sent / Calendar / Contacts for those users? I find a lot of times that error is due to number of emails, not size of mailbox.

Check this out -
http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2005/03/14/395229.aspx

Blame Pyrrhus
May 6, 2003

Pillbug

R-Type posted:

This deployment is within the same organization / domain as the 2007 exchange environment.

Same mail domain as well? If so I'm not sure what your goal is.

If you want, the Exchange 2007 organization can receive mail for mailboxes that reside on a 2010 mailbox server. So this doesn't really impact inbound messages from a smarthost. If you migrate a user to the 2010 side and mail flows into a HT server on the 2007 side, it will route the message correctly.

If you want to redefine outbound messages, then for the Exchange 2007 side read up on message routing and routing groups:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb232209%28v=exchg.80%29.aspx

For the 2010 side, it basically just looks for HT servers in the AD site.

Master Stur posted:

So I'm working at a place with a very small IT dept- Two of us handle around 350 computers and another guy handles IMB iSeries stuff. So none of us are exchange experts or have a lot of time to devote to it right now until we hire a new guy. Recently a bunch of our Outlook 03 users have been getting the "retrieving data" message. We run Exchange 03 and this problem is specific to Outlook 03 users. They're already running cache mode, no extra add-ins and no obscenely large mailboxes . There should be no connectivity issues- We did upgrade our core switch recently but these problems started being reported late enough after that upgrade that I'd be hesitant to blame that.

We tried to run the various exchange analyzer tools, but none of the newer versions work on server 2k apparently.

Any pointers?

Are you 100% certain caching is enabled on the clients having this problem? If you run outlook.exe /rpcdiag does evertying look fine (ie. established connections across the board?)

Blame Pyrrhus fucked around with this message at 15:05 on May 24, 2012

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

Internet Explorer posted:

How many items are in the Inbox / Sent / Calendar / Contacts for those users? I find a lot of times that error is due to number of emails, not size of mailbox.

Check this out -
http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2005/03/14/395229.aspx

I'm having the user that seems to be getting the most of the error messages to do this today to see if that helps or narrows down the issue.

Linux Nazi posted:

Are you 100% certain caching is enabled on the clients having this problem? If you run outlook.exe /rpcdiag does evertying look fine (ie. established connections across the board?)

Yes, it is set up so cache mode is enabled when the accounts are set up. I double-checked the individual users citing problems and they all have cache enabled. We will check the connections again after we have people archive and delete their poo poo if that doesn't fix it. We didn't consider that because things are supposed to auto-archive past a certain point but the one guy I checked had massive amounts of e-mail so welp.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Master Stur posted:

Yes, it is set up so cache mode is enabled when the accounts are set up. I double-checked the individual users citing problems and they all have cache enabled. We will check the connections again after we have people archive and delete their poo poo if that doesn't fix it. We didn't consider that because things are supposed to auto-archive past a certain point but the one guy I checked had massive amounts of e-mail so welp.
Have you tried deleting the .ost file and letting it re-create?

InfiniteDonkey
Jul 27, 2007

I think I need a hug.
I'm currently testing ActiveSync security policies with different mobile phones and tablets.

I just can't get OWA or Exchange Management Console to show the recovery password for any of my devices. I was wondering could the reason behind this be that i have specified that a machine will be wiped after 10 times of wrong codes? Does the recovery password only show if wipe is not configured?

Master Stur
Jun 13, 2008

chasin' tail

Runcible Cat posted:

Have you tried deleting the .ost file and letting it re-create?

The problem seems to have gone away on its own after I suggested to the one guy to start archiving and deleting his massive inbox more frequently (even though he didn't do it yet). Thanks for all the help guys.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

I have a user who's getting a bunch of sync errors from the exchange server now that I switched her to cached mode. The errors can all be ignored but they are showing up in her mailbox. How can I prevent these from being generated?

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

InfiniteDonkey posted:

I'm currently testing ActiveSync security policies with different mobile phones and tablets.

I just can't get OWA or Exchange Management Console to show the recovery password for any of my devices. I was wondering could the reason behind this be that i have specified that a machine will be wiped after 10 times of wrong codes? Does the recovery password only show if wipe is not configured?
Recovery password is WM6.x feature only (and I think a couple other 3rd party apps like touchdown), anything Android or iOS or WP7 doesn't support it.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

wyoak posted:

Recovery password is WM6.x feature only (and I think a couple other 3rd party apps like touchdown), anything Android or iOS or WP7 doesn't support it.

That's no good.

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Nevergirls posted:

I have a user who's getting a bunch of sync errors from the exchange server now that I switched her to cached mode. The errors can all be ignored but they are showing up in her mailbox. How can I prevent these from being generated?
is it folder [80004005-501-4B9-560]? We've had issues with that since we upgraded from 2003 to 2010, it has something to do with organizational forms. Rollup 3 for SP2 is supposed to fix it but we haven't installed it yet.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

wyoak posted:

is it folder [80004005-501-4B9-560]? We've had issues with that since we upgraded from 2003 to 2010, it has something to do with organizational forms. Rollup 3 for SP2 is supposed to fix it but we haven't installed it yet.

No, it has to do with every time she moves something from one mailbox to another (she monitors multiple mailboxes), she gets the "synchronization log" email in the "sync issues folder".

My resolution was to just remove that folder from her "unread items" search folder :c00lbutt:

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Complete Exchange noob here. Got a client who's complaining that OWA doesn't have their contacts, how do I fix this? In Exchange 2003 on SBS 2003 R2. Off to Google a bit now but if anyone's got the answer I'd love to hear it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierdaan
Sep 14, 2004

Pillbug
When she says "contacts" she probably means the contents of her nk2 file on her PC. Basically the auto-complete cache. :10bux: says she has no actual contacts.