Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
Made The Jizzer's carbonara for dinner tonight. I really need to make a habit of cooking from single-recipe threads that have pages and pages of replies more often. It was fantastic, just like the chicken Marsala recipe I made the other day.

I love this forum.

Carbonara snipe: (because hell if I'm GISing for 'The Jizzer')

EVG fucked around with this message at 02:14 on May 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

You missed a pretty obvious Natural Harvest joke there, though.

That carbonara's amazing, though! Anybody who hasn't had something like it is doing themselves a disservice by not trying that recipe. (Unless they're vegetarian! Sorry, vegetarians)

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.
D'oh. Wish I'd thought of that. Any recommendations for the next great GWS recipe to try? I've had mixed results from the wiki.

Edit: to the ragu thread with me!

Charmmi
Dec 8, 2008

:trophystare:
I packed some almonds for a long road trip and I couldn't stop giggling at it.

The smaller words near the bottom said "Great Flavor - Guaranteed" snicker snicker.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I found something the other day. http://www.amazon.com/Ad-Hoc-Home-Thomas-Keller/dp/1579653774/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338176668&sr=8-1 If any of you are looking for ad hoc at home, you can get it for almost half list price off of Amazon. Bouchon & The French Laundry Cookbook are around $30.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Manuel Calavera posted:

I found something the other day. http://www.amazon.com/Ad-Hoc-Home-Thomas-Keller/dp/1579653774/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1338176668&sr=8-1 If any of you are looking for ad hoc at home, you can get it for almost half list price off of Amazon. Bouchon & The French Laundry Cookbook are around $30.

Seriously not trolling Wiggles, but iirc you can get all three at costco for about that much.

fake edit: each, not for a bundle :v:

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

EVG posted:

D'oh. Wish I'd thought of that. Any recommendations for the next great GWS recipe to try? I've had mixed results from the wiki.

Edit: to the ragu thread with me!

I made bulgogi the other day from the gws wiki (cazu maru's recipe, I think) and was tasty as hell.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Seriously not trolling Wiggles, but iirc you can get all three at costco for about that much.

fake edit: each, not for a bundle :v:

Why would you be trolling? I love Costco; I'm an executive member and everything. :confused:

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Why would you be trolling? I love Costco; I'm an executive member and everything. :confused:

I hear you can get goats there.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
20 packs of them.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
I want a 20-pack of goatse.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best

therattle posted:

I want a 20-pack of goatse.

I wonder what it feels like to have such a famous rear end in a top hat, possibly even the MOST famous rear end in a top hat.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I would pay for like a nice framed, autographed 8x11 of goatse.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

homerlaw posted:

I wonder what it feels like to have such a famous rear end in a top hat, possibly even the MOST famous rear end in a top hat.
I wonder if he knows.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

therattle posted:

I wonder if he knows.

I thought it wasn't a secret. Not that I remember who it is but I remember saying something similar to what you just said and then having someone tell me that it's not a secret and that he knows and a lot of people know it's him.

homerlaw
Sep 21, 2008

Plants are the best ergo Sylvari=Best
His name is Kirk Johnson, apparently he was big in the early days of the internet, those wild-west Halcyon days

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

homerlaw posted:

His name is Kirk Johnson[...].
Was? I seem to remember hearing that he died a couple years ago, although I have no idea whether or not that's just internet bullshit.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SubG posted:

Was? I seem to remember hearing that he died a couple years ago, although I have no idea whether or not that's just internet bullshit.

It's true. He ate poprocks and drank a coke and his stomach exploded.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That totally happened to my friend's uncle who works at Nintendo

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
well that was a loving memorial day weekend

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

He should've chewed some Bubble Yum, then. The spiderlings in his stomach would have taken care of that.

loving bro hug
Mar 7, 2006

I Love The Colorado Avalanche More Than I Love Landeskog's Balls In My Mouth
AND I LOVE LANDESKOG'S BALLS IN MY MOUTH A WHOLE LOT
PS Sakic > Yzerman

mindphlux posted:

I got told off by my girlfriend for correcting her regarding Grilling vs BBQ :saddowns:

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

loving bro hug posted:

I got told off by my girlfriend for correcting her regarding Grilling vs BBQ :saddowns:

I got told off by the group I went on a beachhouse trip with for correcting them regarding grilling vs BBQ while cooking some country style ribs, until 4 hours later when poo poo was falling off the bone and they were like "holy gently caress I didn't even know country ribs could do this, this is amazing"

it's a worthwhile war to wage.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
although enduring the inevitable initial howevermany hours of 'is it done yet' and 'surely that meat must be cooked by now' is always an annoying nail biter...

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

mindphlux posted:

although enduring the inevitable initial howevermany hours of 'is it done yet' and 'surely that meat must be cooked by now' is always an annoying nail biter...

Sometimes it even makes you doubt your past experience.

"poo poo, it HAS been 4 hrs, should be tender by now, right? fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck what'd I do wrong?"

then it hits that magical point and it's like, ~whew~

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Is there anyone else that needs telling off for correcting people's usage of the English terms "grilling" vs "BBQ" because I have a little free time now. Call it whatever you want.

FWIW I had croat and mainwife over for burgers and it was really pleasant! And yes, of course there was bacon. And my kids thought lex was awesome.

(and yeah I doubt my BBQ every time, but I just finish ribs in a sheetpan covered with foil in a 250F oven; and butts in a crockpot, until tender. I only have so much goddamn charcoal and time, you know.)

My rule is, if serving BBQ on Sunday, cook it on Saturday. It's just goddamn easier.

pr0k fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 29, 2012

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

GrAviTy84 posted:

Sometimes it even makes you doubt your past experience.

"poo poo, it HAS been 4 hrs, should be tender by now, right? fffffffffffffffffffffffffffffuck what'd I do wrong?"

then it hits that magical point and it's like, ~whew~

it's a really hard lesson to learn. last time I had a serious bbq party, I cooked 3 large pork shoulders, started them at about 11AM at 210deg for a 8PM party. figured I'd be fine. 8pm rolled around, and while getting there, the pork was nowhere near fork tender. everyone was complaining so I just served the lovely pork and everyone was like MAN THIS IS SO GOOD but inside I was hating myself because it really sucked rear end.

I agree with pr0k after a careful analysis. I think from now on, at least with any big chunks of meat, I'm just going to throw poo poo on the smoker at 2am or whatever before I go to sleep, trust it will be fine, and wake up at 11 to a falling off the bone barbeque. doing it the day of is pretty unpredictable and risky, unless you're getting up at like the crack of dawn. which isn't my style I guess.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
It is the tao of bbq. It refrigerates well and stress is unpalatable.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Who stresses over that poo poo? Aren't you people drinking? Anyway, you don't really need to plan to smoke everything the day before, just aim to have it done good and early, then just pull things as they're ready, wrap them in foil, and throw them into an ice chest. Once everything's out of the smoker and resting, start your sides. When the sides are ready, resting is done, unwrap, slice, serve.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Meanwhile, if I can ask...

Is this really a thing? Because Fergus Henderson would be in the left column and disagreeing with him is as close to sacrilege as anything I would recognize as such.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

pr0k posted:

Meanwhile, if I can ask...

Is this really a thing? Because Fergus Henderson would be in the left column and disagreeing with him is as close to sacrilege as anything I would recognize as such.

I love wrought and all, but she's fooddumb about a lot of things.

edit: well, at least about two things...

edit 2: Put me in that there left column.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 05:09 on May 29, 2012

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Fergus Henderson, specifically about curly parsley for the salad with the marrow bones posted:

Meanwhile lightly chop your parsley, just enough to discipline it, mix it with the shallots

That quote always makes me giggle. No offense to Wrought. She is awesome in her own way.

Aumuller
Jun 25, 2009

The horror..
A bit late to the goatse chat, but this is a cute article about him: http://gawker.com/5899787/finding-goatse-the-mystery-man-behind-the-most-disturbing-internet-meme-in-history

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."
Interesting, kinda, but it makes it sound like they interviewed him and they'll get to that bit - but they didn't. Also the there/their mistake peeves me.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

homerlaw posted:

What do you mean possibly the most famous rear end in a top hat? Can you really name off other famous anuses? His is the rear end in a top hat. Full stop.

:911:

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
I turn my back for a few days, and come back to goatse. :(

NosmoKing
Nov 12, 2004

I have a rifle and a frying pan and I know how to use them
Absolutely.

When it comes to giant gaping anuses, I only think of one man (and one image).

Fired up the Weber smoker for Memorial Day and cooked up a couple racks of baby backs and a couple racks of Fred Flintstone style beef ribs.

Made me happy after a weekend of enduring in-laws and fighting with my wife and kids. That, plus the cheap beer in the sun.

Yay me!

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

dino. posted:

I turn my back for a few days, and come back to goatse. :(

When you say, "turn my back and come back to goatse", what exactly do you mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

mindphlux posted:

Yes. Yes it was. Friday night I had a bunch of beers at a friend's house, along with some grilled ribs they called BBQ. Saturday I took a couple pounds of cheese (Beecher's cheddar, Brie de Meaux, and Tomme de Crayeuse for those curious) and a bottle of 1995 Semillon to an old wine tasting and got to try some great wines, including Robert Mondavi Reserve from the days Robert himself was still in charge and some 11 year old Chateauneuf du Pape. There were only eight of us, but we somehow managed to get a noise complaint called on us. The cops were more apologetic than anything. Sunday I went to another friend's house with some homemade bread and butter pickles and had Icelandic lamb from my favorite sheep dairy covered with rosemary and garlic and grilled to perfection, plus some delicious sides, some more Chateauneuf du Pape and a very special bottle of Hermitage. Dessert was about a half pound of cheesecake doused with Barolo-stewed pears.

I needed Monday to recover. I stayed in and cooked beef bourguignon and played Diablo III all day.