Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

actionjackson posted:

Are there any car chargers for a Macbook Pro that can be bought in-store? I can only find listings for them on Ebay or Amazon. It would be nice to have for a road trip.

I'd recommend a Car Power Inverter so you can use your regular MBP charger.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

That is awesome, thanks.

Is there any difference between Crucial and Corsair RAM? If they're both the same then I'm just going to tell them to buy the cheaper Corsair one.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Boris Galerkin posted:

That is awesome, thanks.

Is there any difference between Crucial and Corsair RAM? If they're both the same then I'm just going to tell them to buy the cheaper Corsair one.

Whatever is cheapest - assuming the voltage/speed is the same.

Pseudo-God
Mar 13, 2006

I just love oranges!

Boris Galerkin posted:

That is awesome, thanks.

Pick the one with the best warranty. As far as I know, both of them are quality brands.

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
I normally just pick OWC's RAM since it's guaranteed to work in the Mac in question (the Macbook5,1 has always been a bit pickier, particularly if you want 8GB which was actually impossible until 2011) and in addition to the lifetime warranty if you need to RMA it they'll overnight ship you a replacement.

frumpsnake fucked around with this message at 01:52 on May 25, 2012

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

So found out why my 2011 MBP has been so high on CPU temp and the fans really high on any lod.

What a mess the thermal paste was. All of the overage came off in chunks that was just insulating

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

How long did it take you to disassemble down to that point?

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How long did it take you to disassemble down to that point?

About 30mins the keyboard ribbon was new and terrible but I've had it apart a few times. It's insane how all the termal paste they used just all fell out over the motherboard. It took longer to clean then the whole assembly as the paste was just caked on.

Used 70% isopropyl alcohol to clean up with some coffee filters. Cleaned it all with air and let it sit for 10-15, new thermal paste and resemble.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Welp, evidently Apple has to tell Foxconn to tell the guys whose job it is to assemble the boards to lay off trying to bury the CPU in paste. Someone go have lunch with Tim Cook and relay this to him.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

Welp, evidently Apple has to tell Foxconn to tell the guys whose job it is to assemble the boards to lay off trying to bury the CPU in paste. Someone go have lunch with Tim Cook and relay this to him.

Been a huge problem since the original Macbook Pro

http://macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2006/05/23/thermal-paste-question.html

quote:

There are many MacBook Pro owners who have taken matters into their own hands, such as Interrupting Moss on the Something Awful website. He describes taking his laptop apart and finding an excess of thermal paste between the main chips on the logic board and the thermal pipes that transfer heat safely away.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I just picked up a maxed out G4 MDD with the stock ATI 9000 Pro 64mb graphics. Running 10.5.8 and Core Image is listed as 'Software'.

What have I to gain from upgrading the graphics to something like the official Apple Geforce Ti4600 128MB?

The machine is hooked up to a 1920x1080 monitor and I'll mostly be using Photoshop, PPC compatible Lightroom and PPC compatible Aperture on this machine.

Also random web surfings. FYI this is not my main machine but a scanning workstation with an old SCSI film scanner which I want to be able to troubleshoot scans with the above mentioned apps.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

I just picked up a maxed out G4 MDD with the stock ATI 9000 Pro 64mb graphics. Running 10.5.8 and Core Image is listed as 'Software'.

What have I to gain from upgrading the graphics to something like the official Apple Geforce Ti4600 128MB?

The machine is hooked up to a 1920x1080 monitor and I'll mostly be using Photoshop, PPC compatible Lightroom and PPC compatible Aperture on this machine.

Also random web surfings. FYI this is not my main machine but a scanning workstation with an old SCSI film scanner which I want to be able to troubleshoot scans with the above mentioned apps.

http://guides.macrumors.com/Core_Image#Supported_graphics_cards

Maybe a ATI 9800 or one of these, if you can find one in your country (and isn't $149)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-P...9#ht_1711wt_754

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Bob Morales posted:

Maybe a ATI 9800 or one of these, if you can find one in your country (and isn't $149)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Apple-Mac-P...9#ht_1711wt_754

Thanks. But what I'm I going to gain?

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Core Image uses your graphics card to draw parts of your OS. It will make things smoother for sure.

I did that upgrade back in the day and it made a huge difference in usability.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

The biggest thing about having a Core Image compatible card is that it offloads the majority of screen draws to the GPU on your card, that's tons of work your CPU had to do before.

It leaves your CPU free to do other tasks, hence your Mac will feel more responsive than if you didn't have a Core Image compatible GPU. It's like getting upgraded to a dual processor machine, except that one processor only handles graphics.

It takes advantage of OpenGL as well to do this; literally everything on your screen is effectively a 3D object to be processed using the 3D hardware on your GPU; your CPU doesn't have to do any of those calculations that it used to do to render windows, objects, text..

It's similar to how FireWire beats USB (well, 400 vs USB 2.0) as data is moved by dedicated controllers rather than the CPU.

I use Leopard over Tiger on my upgraded dual 1.2 GHz PowerMac G4 which I fixed up with a flashed ATI 9800. Leopard is also much better at taking advantage of multiple CPUs.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:06 on May 26, 2012

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Ahh, good to know. So whats the cheapest AGP video card I can get that will with 10.5 and support core image?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Shaocaholica posted:

Ahh, good to know. So whats the cheapest AGP video card I can get that will with 10.5 and support core image?

Search eBay or craiglist. I'd probably buy the fastest one you can score for $75 or whatever limit you want to put on it.

That Ti4600 looks like a slug:

Some of those may be re-flashed cards (where you take a PC card and upload a Mac BIOS), there are messageboards with instructions etc on how to do this. OEM Apple cards are harder to find than retail cards and therefore more expensive.

http://themacelite.wikidot.com/

Certain cards only work with certain Macs

http://themacelite.wikidot.com/compatibility

It looks like you should be okay with any of the 'good' cards with a small modification.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

GeForce Titaniums 4xxx's aren't Core Image cards. They scored lovely on that test because if the OS doesn't see Core Image hardware, it reverts back to the software renderer.

They were for a while the fastest cards you could get for for a G4 tower, though.

Go here if you want a list of cards that will work.

IMHO for an MDD G4 the best you should settle for is a Radeon 9800 as there was some bug with X1600s that caused them to eventually overheat and poo poo themselves.

If you can find some of the rarer Radeon 9800s with 256 MB VRAM that's better.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 02:04 on May 26, 2012

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Viktor posted:

So found out why my 2011 MBP has been so high on CPU temp and the fans really high on any lod.

What a mess the thermal paste was. All of the overage came off in chunks that was just insulating

How much did the temperatures drop? I'm thinking doing this as well but I haven't found a tri-wing bit.

Viktor
Nov 12, 2005

About 10-15c it seems. Wish I spent more time monitoring it for graphs but it has had a nice reduction.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
So my 2011 iMac has been acting funky lately. When it boots up, it sometimes gets stuck on the grey Apple screen for several minutes before loading my desktop. Now, it's not shutting down; it gets to the grey screen with the little spinning thing, but then it gets stuck there and I have to force a shut down by holding the power button a few seconds. This isn't every time, but it's frequent. I checked "verify disk" in Disk Utility and it says the disk appears to be okay.

Anybody else having this issue? I'm running Lion 10.7.4 and I installed avast for Mac recently.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Viktor posted:

About 10-15c it seems. Wish I spent more time monitoring it for graphs but it has had a nice reduction.

Wow, that is very nice.

Very nice indeed.

Freaking weird-rear end screws.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

fart blood posted:

I installed avast for Mac recently.

Shameful. Turn in your black turtleneck and reset SMC.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

And the PRAM too.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I just got my refurb iMac, looking forward to getting it home and hooking it up! Are there any tests or anything I should run to be sure everything is in good working order?

I've never bought a refurb before, just want to be sure everything is good in case I need to return it.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

fleshweasel posted:

Shameful. Turn in your black turtleneck and reset SMC.

Well after the botnet fiasco even though my computer wasn't affected I just wanted to double-down on safety! :frogbon:

triplexpac posted:

I just got my refurb iMac, looking forward to getting it home and hooking it up! Are there any tests or anything I should run to be sure everything is in good working order?

I've never bought a refurb before, just want to be sure everything is good in case I need to return it.

I can't think of any tests, but at what time period was this iMac made? Because mine came from a production line that had faulty hard drives and I had to get it replaced.

Link: http://www.macworld.com/article/1161313/seagate_1tb_hard_drive_imac_replacement.html

I'm not sure if the refurb replaced the HD or not, might want to check and make sure if that's the case.

fart blood fucked around with this message at 18:15 on May 28, 2012

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

fart blood posted:

I can't think of any tests, but at what time period was this iMac made? Because mine came from a production line that had faulty hard drives and I had to get it replaced.

Link: http://www.macworld.com/article/1161313/seagate_1tb_hard_drive_imac_replacement.html

I'm not sure if the refurb replaced the HD or not, might want to check and make sure if that's the case.

Mine is a May 2011 refurb, so I'll take a look into that at the very least. Thanks!

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

triplexpac posted:

Mine is a May 2011 refurb, so I'll take a look into that at the very least. Thanks!

I'm warning you now, my experience at the Genius Bar getting it replaced was not a stellar one. It took 2 weeks because they were incompetent. If you do have to get it replaced, be prepared to wait a bit. But I hope mine was just an isolated incident...

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

So I scraped off the mountain of paste, threw on some new goop and... exactly the same temperatures. Oh, well...

Had a bit of a scare with the keyboard backlight but a reboot fixed that.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

fart blood posted:

So my 2011 iMac has been acting funky lately. When it boots up, it sometimes gets stuck on the grey Apple screen for several minutes before loading my desktop. Now, it's not shutting down; it gets to the grey screen with the little spinning thing, but then it gets stuck there and I have to force a shut down by holding the power button a few seconds. This isn't every time, but it's frequent. I checked "verify disk" in Disk Utility and it says the disk appears to be okay.

Anybody else having this issue? I'm running Lion 10.7.4 and I installed avast for Mac recently.
Could still be a hard drive. What does SMART Utility say?

Oh man, I just read the part about installing Avast. Remove that poo poo, then try again. Hard drive is now your #2 suspicion.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Sonic Dude posted:

Could still be a hard drive. What does SMART Utility say?

Oh man, I just read the part about installing Avast. Remove that poo poo, then try again. Hard drive is now your #2 suspicion.

I uninstalled Avast, and the shutdown was almost immediate, and the boot up was back to normal.

I guess the lesson here is Avast for Mac slows things down a lot.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Try ClamXav or Sophos out if you're paranoid about that stuff.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

Binary Badger posted:

If you can find some of the rarer Radeon 9800s with 256 MB VRAM that's better.

Thanks. Just got back from Memorial day vacation, read this and saw one ending on ebay within 30min. What timing! Snagged it for $50 shipped. 256mb retail version too!

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
Got my new (refurb) 2011 iMac, this thing is beautiful. So happy with it, after upgrading from a 2007 model.

Photoshop files that used to clog up my machine now breeze by. I used to play Civ 5 on low settings, now I can set it to high and it's like a whole new game. Super pleased with my purchase.

Getting used to Lion is taking some time though.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
I just experienced a pretty bad data loss and would like to set up Time Machine. Thing is, I already have an Airport Extreme. I want a 2 TB external drive, so does it make sense to buy a Time Capsule, or is there a better option out there? Reviews of external drives are maddening because 10 people will say it's the best thing since Jesus, and the other 10 will claim the drive came alive and ate their children. What say you, oh wise goons?

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

triplexpac posted:

Getting used to Lion is taking some time though.

Lion is.....really not good. This is the weakest, most half-assed OS X update since Panther.

I've gotten used to it but I am really hoping Mountain Lion is more polished.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
One more question - I have a 2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac that I bought new five years ago now I think. Is it possible to replace this thing's 250 GB hard drive with something larger? If so, what do you recommend, brand-wise and model?

Sent from my iPad
Jun 19, 2000

Quick question for anyone who might know: if you have a MacBook Pro w/ Thunderbolt, a Thunderbolt Display, and a traditional non-Thunderbolt display, it's impossible to have both monitors driven at once, correct? Googling seems to indicate that this is the case, which is frustrating.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
Get a third Thunderbolt device and stick it between the TB display and the DP display. Macworld did it.

Argali posted:

One more question - I have a 2 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo iMac that I bought new five years ago now I think. Is it possible to replace this thing's 250 GB hard drive with something larger? If so, what do you recommend, brand-wise and model?

It is, it just takes a standard 2.5" laptop drive. A Western Digital Scorpio Black would be a good choice, and you can get a 320GB, 500GB, or 750GB drive. If you want to go balls-to-the-wall on speed, get a Seagate Momentus XT 750GB drive - it includes some SSD caching on the drive that works automatically.

Factory Factory fucked around with this message at 16:06 on May 29, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jan 20, 2008

calmer than you are
I'm pretty sure no iMac uses a laptop drive. Also those Momentus drives suck balls.