Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010

nomapple posted:

Nasum are amazing, great choice. I'd get Wormrot- Dirge, it's an excellent grind album, and I think it is still available for free from the label website. Highly recommended. I would also recommend Rotten Sound (their vocalist is doing the Nasum farewell shows), their most recent album "Cursed" is very good. Then, Insect Warfare- World Extermination. These guys only made 1 album before splitting but it is very good. Then of course there's Napalm Death, of the early stuff I would recommend Scum and From Enslavement to Obliteration, and of the later stuff, Smear Campaign.

Right then, recommendations for if you like Amon Amarth: At the Gates' album Slaughter of the Soul is essential melodeath, really, really good. You might like Children of Bodom too, Hatecrew Deathroll is a fun album. Other than that I'm not too into melodeath, so I'll let someone else field the rest of that question.

Dimmu Borgir: Rotting Christ's recent stuff, particularly Theogonia comes highly recommended from me. I feel obliged to recommend Cradle of Filth too, they often get paired with Dimmu, but I would definitely stick to their earlier releases as they have suffered something of a decline in recent years. You might enjoy Immortal's albums A Heart of Winter and All Shall Fall, they are definitely more pure black metal, but they definitely retain a sense of melody. I would also recommend Keep of Kalessin, Kolossus and Reptilian are both great albums, and finally, Watain's album, Lawless Darkness. Flawless black metal riffing on that album with some awesome lead guitar parts as well.

I realise there's a lot of stuff there, so I hope you find something you like :D

This is awesome and you are all awesome. I have a very metal weekend ahead of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010
Lots of great recommendations here, but for grind I'd add Infanticide (the Swedish one), Pig Destroyer, and Mumakil (Customized Warfare especially). Someone mentioned Immortal earlier-- their whole catalog is great but Damned in Black and Sons of Northern Darkness have that more straight-ahead mid-paced vibe that Amon Amarth does so well. For symphonic black metal, you really can't beat Emperor (the later stuff will appeal to you more if you're a Dimmu Borgir fan).

Also, has anybody else been listening to the new Cattle Decapitation? I liked the band to begin with but Monolith of Inhumanity is leaps and bounds better than anything they've ever done.

e: I think it's been mentioned earlier but the new Black Breath album, Sentenced to Life, absolutely rips. It's more on the death n' roll side but goddamn is it angry.

Monkeytime fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 25, 2012

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Gristle Licker is my favorite track on that album, sooooo good.

Thorias
Jun 3, 2008
Love the thread title change.

Also yes, the new Cattle Decapitation album is loving excellent.

nomapple
Apr 27, 2012

Thorias posted:

Love the thread title change.

Also yes, the new Cattle Decapitation album is loving excellent.

Got confused by the thread title change, haha. Gonna have to check out the new Cattle Decapitation by the looks of things with so many people recommending it both here and elsewhere.

ethan
Dec 16, 2004
Looks like Augury are back to their original line up.

http://www.thegauntlet.com/article/4265/25348/AUGURY-Return-To-Original-Lineup

This is awesome news, Forest is a mad man on bass.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I hope that doesn't mean Forest is leaving Beyond Creation. Enjoy them more then Augury tbh.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I am digging the new Cattle Decapitation as well. The things the guy does with his voice! So far above the last album I heard from them. Humanure I think?

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Just saw that Running Wild got back together and put out a new album. I don't think I'm in any real hurry to get it, but it'll get got.

Found Sound
Jun 8, 2010

Just found out that the Noctis festival guys here in Calgary managed to book Agalloch. gently caress yes. I love these guys, they always manage to rope in fantastic bands.

TheForgotton
Jun 10, 2001

I'm making a career of evil.

fritz posted:

Just saw that Running Wild got back together and put out a new album. I don't think I'm in any real hurry to get it, but it'll get got.
It is pretty much terrible from start to finish. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1dkKCZ_Flw

The new Lonewolf album does RW better than they have in a long time but I'm not crazy about their singer.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

TheForgotton posted:

It is pretty much terrible from start to finish. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c1dkKCZ_Flw

The new Lonewolf album does RW better than they have in a long time but I'm not crazy about their singer.

Oooooooooh dear. I just got their album Black Hand Inn and I thought it was pretty drat respectable. Motley Crue would've been ashamed of this song.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

nomapple posted:

Got confused by the thread title change, haha. Gonna have to check out the new Cattle Decapitation by the looks of things with so many people recommending it both here and elsewhere.
Yeah, Monkeytime was talking it up to me yesterday, I definitely need to check that out.

BTW the #0000000 in the title was because Baltimore is all about the O's ;)

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:
Thanks to who ever posted Decrepitaph several pages ago because it ruuuuuules so hard. I had no idea Razorback put out good music.

I've been listening to Blaspheme and Sortilege a lot. I'm surprised it took me this long check out the French heavy metal scene, it rips so hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SodwO2WJUKw

Durendal
Jan 25, 2008

Who made you God to say
"I'll take your sheep from you?"

I just heard about Eduardo Falaschi leaving Angra last week. This is a huge bummer and rather unexpected since I thought their last album was really good.

nadabolt
May 17, 2009

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Thanks to who ever posted Decrepitaph several pages ago because it ruuuuuules so hard. I had no idea Razorback put out good music.

I've been listening to Blaspheme and Sortilege a lot. I'm surprised it took me this long check out the French heavy metal scene, it rips so hard.

Sortilege rule! I actually snagged their second LP last time I was at the store (didn't post about it, english version, blech) and its fantastic. Thanks for the tip on Blaspheme, I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to non-anglo scenes.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Former SABATON Members Launch CIVIL WAR.

This is pretty drat interesting to me, mainly because of this part:

quote:

with singer Patrik Johansson (ASTRAL DOORS, LION'S SHARE)
Seriously, Johansson is such a drat good heavy metal vocalist it's not even funny, and the more stuff I can hear him sing the better. (I never checked out Lion's Share though, because I heard they're pretty mediocre.)

Not that I expect the new band to sound exactly like Sabaton, but I can't help but think something Sabaton-ish with Johansson singing could own SO hard.
Looking forward to seeing what becomes of this, at any rate.

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

The Doo Do Chasers posted:

Blaspheme and Sortilege are awesome! A French dude at work was translating their lyrics for me a while ago, they're quite interesting.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

TheForgotton posted:

That's unfortunate, but not unexpected I guess

quote:

That's something to check out, thanks.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Skeletonwitch announcing tour soon although I found out they will be in my city July 25th. They are headlining and touring with BarnBurner, Alphakill & Dissolution.

deltawing
Sep 20, 2007

feels good man
Hello friends!

Time for some album(s) news. Wintersun's "Time" is going to be two albums, titled TIME I & TIME II. We made this decision simply because of few reasons:

- All the 80min of material won´t fit on a regular CD and we didn´t want to cut anything out.

- We want you to be able to hear new material sooner and not wait any longer and we want to go on tour sooner.

- The music is very full and complex, so listening this kind of "hard listening (not easy listening)" material straight for 80 minutes is a bit too much (even for me). Both albums will be approx. nice 40 min epic packages of fireworks.

- We like the idea of releasing two albums within one year, so the band will stay more visible longer, which is important in these "modern times". No more years of silence for us!

We hope you´ll approve our new little "plan" and support us when the "Time" comes!

The tracklisting for TIME I looks like this:

TIME I

1. When Time Fades Away
2. Sons of Winter and Stars
I Rain of Stars
II Surrounded by Darkness
III Journey Inside a Dream
IV Sons of Winter and Stars
3. Land of Snow and Sorrow
4. Darkness and Frost
5. Time

TIME I mix is set to be finished by July, mastered in the beginning of July and released in early fall of 2012! TIME II will be released in 2013. Conception of album artworks, videos, live shows incl. rehearsals will keep us busy during the summer and I´ll also continue mixing TIME II meanwhile. We´ll be hopefully posting some videos and teasers during summer. Also some new live show announcements soon, so stay tuned for those!

We can´t wait for you guys to hear TIME I material and play it to you live! Have a great summer!

Jari & Wintersun boys

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I can't wait to hear this "hard listening (not easy listening)" music.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

I had no idea Jari was a goon. Maybe I just haven't been keeping up with the metal threads? :aaa:

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

deltawing posted:

Hello friends!

Time for some album(s) news. Wintersun's "Time" is going to be two albums, titled TIME I & TIME II. We made this decision simply because of few reasons:

- All the 80min of material won´t fit on a regular CD and we didn´t want to cut anything out.

- We want you to be able to hear new material sooner and not wait any longer and we want to go on tour sooner.

- The music is very full and complex, so listening this kind of "hard listening (not easy listening)" material straight for 80 minutes is a bit too much (even for me). Both albums will be approx. nice 40 min epic packages of fireworks.

- We like the idea of releasing two albums within one year, so the band will stay more visible longer, which is important in these "modern times". No more years of silence for us!

We hope you´ll approve our new little "plan" and support us when the "Time" comes!

The tracklisting for TIME I looks like this:

TIME I

1. When Time Fades Away
2. Sons of Winter and Stars
I Rain of Stars
II Surrounded by Darkness
III Journey Inside a Dream
IV Sons of Winter and Stars
3. Land of Snow and Sorrow
4. Darkness and Frost
5. Time

TIME I mix is set to be finished by July, mastered in the beginning of July and released in early fall of 2012! TIME II will be released in 2013. Conception of album artworks, videos, live shows incl. rehearsals will keep us busy during the summer and I´ll also continue mixing TIME II meanwhile. We´ll be hopefully posting some videos and teasers during summer. Also some new live show announcements soon, so stay tuned for those!

We can´t wait for you guys to hear TIME I material and play it to you live! Have a great summer!

Jari & Wintersun boys

Great news, Jariboys.

Ah, making so much material for two albums. The age-old record industry problem.

But:

quote:

How does this work? Wouldn't you get more publicity releasing albums spread out?

Stay Safe fucked around with this message at 20:23 on May 29, 2012

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
"Musical diarrhea" my former music teacher called that routine...

Haggins
Jul 1, 2004

TheForgotton posted:

Over 30 years and 15 albums and this is the first one that sucks. For a track record like that I can forgive them. I just hope I get to see them live before the call it quits for real.

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

Vintersorg posted:

Skeletonwitch announcing tour soon although I found out they will be in my city July 25th. They are headlining and touring with BarnBurner, Alphakill & Dissolution.

This rules because Barn Burner are sweet as hell.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Well, poo poo. I never thought I'd see this day.

edit:
vvvv
Yeah. No kidding, it's incredible.

Also, that's a very cool thing that Relapse has done, I'm impressed. Everyone who likes death metal should use this as an excuse to listen to Omnivium by Obscura.

velvet milkman fucked around with this message at 04:14 on May 30, 2012

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Another one of those bands that kind of goes here, kind of doesn't, but I loving love Diablo Swing Orchestra's new album, my god.

A Good Username
Oct 10, 2007

Relapse Records has put all their bands up on Bandcamp for your listening pleasure.

Clickety

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 22, 2016

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

deltawing posted:

Hello friends!

I can't believe he is going to both release and delay this album simultaneously

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I can't believe he is going to both release and delay this album simultaneously

Only Jari and the Jariboys can split time into two, progress with one and delay with the other.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

calm down, it's just Jari's standard quantum release package.

henpod
Mar 7, 2008

Sir, we have located the Bioweapon.
College Slice
The real reason is that he exhausted the entire supply of RAM and computing power in Finland making the first half, so they have to get more to finish the rest.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Anthrax going back out with Testament and Death Angel.

http://www.metalinjection.net/tour-dates/anthrax-testament-death-angel-announce-another-round-of-touring

quote:

I guess Anthrax, Testament and Death Angel really enjoy each other's company, because the trio of thrash titans have announced a their third run of touring in the last two years. This seems to be another full-on US tour, with many major markets already announced. Testament will of course be promoting their new album, Anthrax will still be riding high on Worship Music, released last year and Death Angel are currently working on a new album, so we might even hear some new material. Here is the first round of dates:

9/14 Sacramento, CA @ Ace of Spades
9/15 Portland, OR @ Roseland Theatre
9/16 Kennewick, WA @ Toyota Center
9/17 Spokane, WA @ Knitting Factory
9/20 Vancouver, BC @ Vogue Theater
9/21 Calgary, AB @ MacEwan Hall
9/22 Edmonton, AB @ Edmonton Event Centre
9/24 Saskatoon, SK @ Odeon Event Center
9/25 Winnipeg, MB @ Burton Cummings Theatre
9/29 Toronto, ON @ Danforth Music Hall
9/30 Quebec City, QC @ Capitole du Quebec
10/2 Montreal, QC @ Metropolis
10/3 Portland, ME @ State Theater
10/5 Montclair, NJ @ Wellmont Theatre

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Exploring progressive rock has led my 60-year-old father to doom metal.

My dad is cool as heck.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Welp, I know what I'm doing for my birthday!

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

Bertrand Hustle posted:

My dad is cool as heck.
My dad got me into Rush and CCR as a kid.

I got him into Dying Fetus and Finntroll. :regd10:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->

Bertrand Hustle posted:

My dad is cool as heck.

Smoke him out and listen to Church of Misery, dude.