Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
In the op post there is this tidbit

quote:

Q: Usenet is safe, right?
A: Yeah, Usenet is totally safe, unless you start posting stuff. For the big bad (RI|MP)AA to get at you, they'd have to know what you're downloading, and simply put they can't unless you like . . tell them or something. If you start posting, well, that's a whole other thing.

Can't your usenet provider still log what you download since you have to open a connection to them? If the RIAA was so interested couldn't they just subpoena your reseller and force them to hand over the logs of who was downloading what? In my mind this service has the same flaws as using a VPN to hide behind because logs can be handed over. Has anyone actually tested or asked to see if there is logging on any of the major providers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sperg Victorious
Mar 25, 2011

YouTuber posted:

In the op post there is this tidbit

Can't your usenet provider still log what you download since you have to open a connection to them? If the RIAA was so interested couldn't they just subpoena your reseller and force them to hand over the logs of who was downloading what? In my mind this service has the same flaws as using a VPN to hide behind because logs can be handed over. Has anyone actually tested or asked to see if there is logging on any of the major providers?

The logs would be huge and unmanageable. Plus no one ever got in trouble for downloading, but people have gotten in trouble for uploading. And most Usenet providers insert an encrypted header that they can decode for abuse complaints.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

YouTuber posted:

If this were a thing a rights holder could do, they would have done it a jillion times by now.

The way all copyright infringement lawsuits have worked to date (and thus, to my knowledge, the only way they work under current law), is that the copyright holder must know a given IP did something before they can start waving subpoenas around and demanding peoples logs to prove who that IP is and confirm said user with said IP did what is claimed. So like, they need to capture hostnames from a torrent swarm, or they need to see an individual posting content to a webserver, or they need to see someone posting something to Usenet.

From an outside perspective, no one can prove what users of a specific news host are downloading. As such, rights holders have no grounds to start demanding logs. They can't just roll up and say "Yeah, we think some of your users are being mean to us, so just hand over all your logs ok. We'll figure it out from there!"

Hell, that's not even what they get when they subpoena an ISP. They don't say "Hey, we saw this IP on this torrent. They probably download other stuff too, so you better just give us details of everything they've done over the past year so we can find all the other ways they've infringed upon our copyrights".

Nobody has that kind of leeway. Not yet, at least. So don't worry about it. Or if you do feel like worrying about it keep in mind that it won't be just one user who fries, it will be the entire industry all at once, so you'll be in good company.

It's pretty clear that the most any rights holder can do right now with regards to Usenet is to work within the bounds of the DMCA and issue takedown requests. Luckily, how you have to comply with a takedown request is vague, so that's how you see rar sets which are only partially broken, rather than outright removed. And since Usenet is mirrored at a feed-level, that's why you have inconsistency between providers.

As soon as this changes, You'll Know.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
I've got a really weird issue with Sickbeard source on Windows. If I shutdown Sickbeard or reboot my computer, Sickbeard won't start again unless I delete sickbeard.db. What I normally end up doing is moving my sickbeard.db file elsewhere, letting it create a new one, then shutdown sickbeard, move the original file back, then start Sickbeard again. The really weird part is that every time I do this, my SABnzbd URL in the SB settings changes to http://http://localhost:8080// so that it can't pass files to SAB.

Fcdts26
Mar 18, 2009
My home server died yesterday and I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on a small hopefully cheap box that will run sab/sb and share files over a network. I only have a single drive so I was thinking a synology 112.What are you guys using?

Goon Matchmaker
Oct 23, 2003

I play too much EVE-Online

Nask26 posted:

My home server died yesterday and I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations on a small hopefully cheap box that will run sab/sb and share files over a network. I only have a single drive so I was thinking a synology 112.What are you guys using?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859107052

Those are quite popular and usually you can find them for less than $300.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Goon Matchmaker posted:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16859107052

Those are quite popular and usually you can find them for less than $300.

Yeah bought mine for $200, good little box. Set up a camel3x price watch or something.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Anyone using my hacks on SABconnect++, one of the original authors has picked it up again, brought in the useful parts of my changes, and cleaned it up a lot. I recommend switching back to the official version, as it does a lot of things better now.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
To the people using Quoch to control SAB/SickBeard/CouchPotato, do you have issues adding items to CP? It seems to be hit or miss whether or not the quality selection will pop up blank or populated, and even if that works the item I'm adding doesn't seem to be put on the Wanted list.

I'm thinking about switching it over to the CP server and seeing if it works better, and just manually moving my Wanted list to that.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

You can migrate your couchpotato.db to the new CP server.

Shagsta
Apr 17, 2003

jockin' the bitches, slappin' the hoes
I'm switching ISP so I'll have to start paying for usenet again. My previous ISP provided an Astraweb feed for free, god bless them.

A couple of years back it was universally accepted that Giganews had the best feed and the best deal for this was through Supernews. Is this still the case? Also, a while back I remember reading that Giganews is doing DMCA takedowns. Is this true?

If Giganews is out of favour, I guess I'll probably go with the $96/year Astraweb deal...

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Shagsta posted:

Also, a while back I remember reading that Giganews is doing DMCA takedowns. Is this true?

If Giganews is out of favour, I guess I'll probably go with the $96/year Astraweb deal...

Yep. I guess because of their size/prevalence, Giga, and the dependents, seem to DMCA very quickly when the rights owner asserts it.

I'm thinking of doing a block plan on Astra to fix those issues, as many of the nzb site comments indicate no issues with downloads that have been removed from the Giga feed.

edit: Check out the comments on either nzbs.org or nzbmatrix to see if anything you would d/l is 'high profile'.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I use Supernews basically because it's what I used in the 1998 and when I got back into this last year I just went with the name I knew.

Should I switch?

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice

EC posted:

To the people using Quoch to control SAB/SickBeard/CouchPotato, do you have issues adding items to CP? It seems to be hit or miss whether or not the quality selection will pop up blank or populated, and even if that works the item I'm adding doesn't seem to be put on the Wanted list.

I'm thinking about switching it over to the CP server and seeing if it works better, and just manually moving my Wanted list to that.
I could never get Quoch to work with CP 2/Server, even locally. Please let me know if you work it out.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Shagsta posted:

I'm switching ISP so I'll have to start paying for usenet again. My previous ISP provided an Astraweb feed for free, god bless them.

A couple of years back it was universally accepted that Giganews had the best feed and the best deal for this was through Supernews. Is this still the case? Also, a while back I remember reading that Giganews is doing DMCA takedowns. Is this true?

I've been using astraweb for ages now, still pretty good but it doesn't hurt to have a block news account as backup.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

Bonzo posted:

I use Supernews basically because it's what I used in the 1998 and when I got back into this last year I just went with the name I knew.

Should I switch?
No. The days of having one feed are over. Supernews makes an excellent primary feed, but if you want to avoid failed downloads, everyone should look into adding supplemental block feeds from a few different providers as they come on sale. I have a block from astraweb and a block from a highwinds reseller and I rarely have problems.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Anyone else having issues with SAB and the read all feeds now button? Usually when I click it I force an automatic scan and whatever is in my rss automatically starts downloading. For some reason now this has completely stopped working. Really annoying!

Edit: looks like rss is completely stuffed! I have to click force download to get it working?

Ingram fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 30, 2012

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

Bonzo posted:

I use EasyNews which I am surprised isn't mentioned very often. I've used them since RoadRunner stopped carrying the alt.binary groups back in 2005. They have 1300 day retention, SSL access on a dozen different ports, and 20GB/month (with rollover) for $10. I don't know how they do it but I get about 29mbit when pulling things from them via SABnzbd. I've not had a download that had missing parts that couldn't be repaired automatically in like 4 years.

Looking at the OP though, I didn't know there was such a thing as block plans. That's a heck of a good deal because I don't download anywhere near 90GB a month. I'd definitely need another bigger hard drive for that.

EDIT: And I had trouble with the SABnzbd RSS not downloading anything this morning and I thought it was just because I was dicking with it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Tapedump posted:

I could never get Quoch to work with CP 2/Server, even locally. Please let me know if you work it out.

Yeah mine just hangs on "Connecting to Server..." and the new interface is pretty much balls on iOS. You can add a movie, but it zooms in when inputting anything and zooming out is a mess for some reason. According to their FB page the next version will add it.

After screwing around with it for a couple of hours, I managed to get CPS working correctly. However I installed Git to begin with, it didn't get added to my PATH so I had to manually do that to get CPS to shutdown/restart correctly. I accidently added an extra colon to my SAB path, which generated a "no downloaders are enabled" error as opposed to a "incorrect SAB path" so that lost me 30 minutes or so. It also has weird issues where custom qualities didn't appear until restarting, but now that I've got those setup it won't be an issue going forward.

The install wizard was nice, it grabbed all my Wanted movies from the db file pretty easily, although not all showed up right away.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

"Do you know how rare it is to find a girl who genuinely honest-to-god absolutely loves it up the arse?"
Rebooted router and it's all fixed don't quite understand why?

Sometimes I can't actually access sabnzbd couch or sick from the web browser maybe my router is the cause?

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Possibly not the right thread for this but with the programs in question...

I run SB, CP, HP and maraschino from source on windows. Is there any obvious way
of identifying which python process is which? I had one hammering the cpu, it seems ok now but thought I'd ask incase it happens again?

ambushsabre
Sep 1, 2009

It's...it's not shutting down!

MeKeV posted:

I run SB, CP, HP and maraschino from source on windows. Is there any obvious way
of identifying which python process is which? I had one hammering the cpu, it seems ok now but thought I'd ask incase it happens again?

I dunno if there's a real answer, but you could always exit them one by one while the "leak" is happening and see which one causes it to go down.

VVVV real answer down there

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

MeKeV posted:

In Windows 7, you can add a column to task manager called "command line" which will give you the full path of the command being run. So (I think) you'd have a python.exe process, and the command line would be "c:\program files\python\python.exe c:\program files\sickbeard\sickbeard.py" or something like that.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
Bingo. That does the trick.

Many thanks.

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Shagsta posted:

Everyone has to comply with the DMCA. Not complying with the DMCA results in your host not existing for very long. The state of things right now is pick an unlimited provider, doesn't really matter which. If you have completion problems, supplement with a block provider like Blocknews, but again, doesn't matter which block provider, so long as they're from a different feed as your unlimited provider.

Supernews/Blocknews is what I use. I very rarely have any kind of completion problems, and I think over the past several months I've only used a couple megs worth of Blocknews.

Ingram
Oct 18, 2006

I'm updating my modems firmware to hopefully fix my networking issues that are making it difficult to access Sab/Sick/Couch from a external computer and also my RSS issues.

I'm also wondering if it's normal for Couch to have 2 exe's in the task manager? One is only a few hundred Kb the other is into the Mbs...

Shagsta
Apr 17, 2003

jockin' the bitches, slappin' the hoes

inpheaux posted:

Everyone has to comply with the DMCA. Not complying with the DMCA results in your host not existing for very long. The state of things right now is pick an unlimited provider, doesn't really matter which. If you have completion problems, supplement with a block provider like Blocknews, but again, doesn't matter which block provider, so long as they're from a different feed as your unlimited provider.

Astraweb is a tier one provider based out of the Netherlands. Why would an American law have any bearing on them?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Nask26 posted:

There's a thread for this.

But to answer your question, most of prebuilt NAS companies (Synology/Thecus/Qnap) are great for the job.

Shagsta posted:

Astraweb is a tier one provider based out of the Netherlands. Why would an American law have any bearing on them?

They may have servers based in the States, but I doubt it ...

inpheaux
Jul 12, 2001

Shagsta posted:

Pretty sure they comply with the DMCA because they say they do.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Wasn't Astraweb also the company running that really sleazy ad campaign back during the anti-SOPA protests accusing all the other providers of being SOPA supporting puppets of Hollywood because they respond to DMCA takedowns?

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

Shagsta posted:

They are not from the netherlands, they are based in Singapore. They need to comply because they have US servers and i am sure they do not want to lose their equipment. That file locker service megaupload or whatever it is called had just US servers and look what happened with them.

SlipperyNipple
Jan 24, 2010

mrmcd posted:

Wasn't Astraweb also the company running that really sleazy ad campaign back during the anti-SOPA protests accusing all the other providers of being SOPA supporting puppets of Hollywood because they respond to DMCA takedowns?

No, that was a few NZB sites who didnt have a clue about the process, doing it...Ironically Astraweb has been getting removals now. lol

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.
So I bought some blocks on BlockNews and set this all up to give it a try, threw some random stuff in the queue and left it. It went well over the amount I bought, more than double in fact (54gb~), although on the BlockNews account page I'm only a little over. Is this normal and just something I didn't pick up on?

At any rate I figure I'll buy some more blocks and use them as a backup with Supernews.

Cheese Bridge Area
Jan 27, 2008

Brightman posted:

So I bought some blocks on BlockNews and set this all up to give it a try, threw some random stuff in the queue and left it. It went well over the amount I bought, more than double in fact (54gb~), although on the BlockNews account page I'm only a little over. Is this normal and just something I didn't pick up on?

At any rate I figure I'll buy some more blocks and use them as a backup with Supernews.
Yeah they don't seem to have hard limits I had a similar experience with them.

Wheelchair Stunts
Dec 17, 2005
There's no way that servers for a business could be hosted in a foreign embassy / consulate, right?

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Wheelchair Stunts posted:

There's no way that servers for a business could be hosted in a foreign embassy / consulate, right?

Dutch Pirate Party tried hosting proxies to TPB on their website(s?) but they've received several court orders, courtesy of BREIN.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Odette posted:

Dutch Pirate Party tried hosting proxies to TPB on their website(s?) but they've received several court orders, courtesy of BREIN.

The Pirate Party also owns the network within which TPB operates. IIRC the AS is Pirate Party with the /24 assigned to TPB.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Checked the last few pages and the OP but didn't find anything.

Is there any decent Usenet client for iOS (specifically for the iPad)?

Edit: just in case, my iPad's jailbroken, so that's not an obstacle.

dpkg chopra fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 1, 2012

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

Checked the last few pages and the OP but didn't find anything.

Is there any decent Usenet client for iOS (specifically for the iPad)?

What are you trying to do? If you want to control SAB, I'd suggest MyNZB. If you want to control SAB, SB, and CP, I'd suggest Quoch.

If you want to actually download stuff on your ipad, I haven't seen anything like that. I'd check for jailbreak apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer

EC posted:

What are you trying to do? If you want to control SAB, I'd suggest MyNZB. If you want to control SAB, SB, and CP, I'd suggest Quoch.

If you want to actually download stuff on your ipad, I haven't seen anything like that. I'd check for jailbreak apps.

Yeah, hoping to actually download stuff.