Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Midorka posted:

Goose Island just came to New Jersey and I'm not sure who's making what, but I've had the IPA twice, once on tap and it was one of the best IPAs I've had in a long time. I then had a 1.5 month old bottle and I'm not sure if the bottles were mishandled or the hops fell off that fast, or what, but it was a very boring and lacking representation of what I had on tap. I assume the bottles will say where they were produced so I'll check today. I've heard the Summertime Ale is pretty much exclusively being produced in New Jersey at an AB-InBev factory though, truth?

Yes, the bottles will mention where it was produced. As for the Summertime, none of it has gone outside of the main Fulton Street facility - we're brewing it all ourselves. It's taken up the majority of our production for the last few months because of how popular it is, but right now we're brewing more Green Line and IPA than ever. Which means having to deal with the goddamn DE filter every loving day. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Midorka posted:

Also bartolimu, I assume it was you, thanks for finally giving me an avatar even if I know gently caress what it means.

I like it. I hope that "Beulah, peel me a grape." becomes the new "Haters gonna hate."

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Deviant Dales owns, Galactic Double Daisy owns. Deviant is super dank with huge bitterness and complementary sweetness, while Galactic has a more subtle all around presentation than deviant. Both are exemplary.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi
Victory's V-Twelve: I'm not a huge Belgian fan so my experience is limited, but I like. Lots of heat, lots of Belgian sweetness. For those who like the style (quad), I'd be curious how it compares to more traditional takes. It comes off as very much a "How big can we get this?" but actually works here.

EDIT: I just bought it this weekend and it's a 2012 bottle. I'd be willing to bet it calms the booze down over time but I didn't snag another one to see...

Julio Cesar Fatass
Jul 24, 2007

"...."
I finally went back and tried Coop's DNR quadrupel. I guess my tastes have changed as I've drunk different stuff, because it came across as syrupy and boozy, like someone had boiled down a belgian golden ale.

At least their F5 IPA still tastes good. :sigh:

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!

ShaneB posted:

Deviant Dales owns, Galactic Double Daisy owns. Deviant is super dank with huge bitterness and complementary sweetness, while Galactic has a more subtle all around presentation than deviant. Both are exemplary.

I couldnt finish a can of Deviant. Couldn't stand it. (I love Dale's)

For the record, I also don't like Weyerbacher Double Simcoe. I think I just like dry IPAs.

Very much a fan of Daisy Cutter though.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

danbanana posted:

Victory's V-Twelve: I'm not a huge Belgian fan so my experience is limited, but I like. Lots of heat, lots of Belgian sweetness. For those who like the style (quad), I'd be curious how it compares to more traditional takes. It comes off as very much a "How big can we get this?" but actually works here.

EDIT: I just bought it this weekend and it's a 2012 bottle. I'd be willing to bet it calms the booze down over time but I didn't snag another one to see...

Consensus in these parts, of which I agree, is that V-Twelve is one of the better American Quads. I've found the Belgian quads, on the whole, tend to taste like what an imperial brown ale with an infusion of dark fruits would taste like. V-Twelve, Judgment Day, and some of the other American quads seem to run more estery with the direct focus heaver on the raisin/plum/fig notes than the caramel/sugar/dark malt notes.

The translates in a glass to the Americans being a bit more mahogany in color than the Belgians, which I've found appear browner and with heavier viscosity.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Midorka posted:

Also bartolimu, I assume it was you, thanks for finally giving me an avatar even if I know gently caress what it means.
Wasn't me. I'm not that uh...subtle. If that's what you want to call it.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Munkaboo posted:

I couldnt finish a can of Deviant. Couldn't stand it. (I love Dale's)

I just took the last sip of a can of Deviant Dale's, and it is awesome. If you "couldn't stand it", it's probably because you don't like Summit hops. Then, I implore you to never try Oskar Blues' GUBNA IPA. That thing is 100% Summit hopped, and is one of the most "love it or hate it" beers out there. I fall on the love it side.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

bartolimu posted:

Wasn't me. I'm not that uh...subtle. If that's what you want to call it.

I have no idea what it means, I simply assumed it was you since I don't think anyone would spend money to give me an avatar and text.

Into relevant news, Smoke Jumper is loving phenomenal. The smokiness reminds me of smoked meats and while it's prominent it's not overwhelming. The mid-taste introduces some dark chocolate and roasted flavors while the intro and end are smoky, this is a perfect campfire beer.

Edit: I'm eating a brownie with it and it's the best decision I made tonight.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 04:12 on May 29, 2012

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

deadwing posted:

I just took the last sip of a can of Deviant Dale's, and it is awesome. If you "couldn't stand it", it's probably because you don't like Summit hops. Then, I implore you to never try Oskar Blues' GUBNA IPA. That thing is 100% Summit hopped, and is one of the most "love it or hate it" beers out there. I fall on the love it side.

Yep, I have specifically avoided it because I know I won't like it.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

wattershed posted:

I've found the Belgian quads, on the whole, tend to taste like what an imperial brown ale with an infusion of dark fruits would taste like.

Honestly having a hard time wrapping my brain around this sentence.

Drinking a 3 year old Koningshoeven Quad atm. It's lovely.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Munkaboo posted:

Yep, I have specifically avoided it because I know I won't like it.

At least you know better. I keep picking up Belgian pale ales because I like Duvel, even though I haven't had another Belgian pale that I enjoy. I don't like any of them. I don't know why I keep doing it, but I keep loving buying Belgian pale ales.

wattershed
Dec 27, 2002

Radio got his free iPod, did you get yours???

Arnold of Soissons posted:

Honestly having a hard time wrapping my brain around this sentence.

Drinking a 3 year old Koningshoeven Quad atm. It's lovely.

I really don't know how else to describe it without saying "it's like a BSDA but with darker fruit qualities." Well, no poo poo it's like that, they're very similar in profile. I was trying to relate it to something outside the Belgian realm. Just...use your imagination :)

Also, speaking of Koningshoeven, have you or anyone else had the barrel-aged version of their quad? It's always so expensive, I have trouble pulling the trigger on it but I can't see it being anything less than awesome.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

wattershed posted:

I really don't know how else to describe it without saying "it's like a BSDA but with darker fruit qualities." Well, no poo poo it's like that, they're very similar in profile. I was trying to relate it to something outside the Belgian realm. Just...use your imagination :)

Also, speaking of Koningshoeven, have you or anyone else had the barrel-aged version of their quad? It's always so expensive, I have trouble pulling the trigger on it but I can't see it being anything less than awesome.

Nah, I hear you.

I've never seen a barrel aged version, but if I did I'd buy it in a heart beat.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I bought a 4-pack of GUBNA last week because they didn't have any G'Knight.

It tastes like onions and garlic. Won't be buying it again. But, it was a good way to wash the Voodoo Doughnut Maple Bacon off my palette.

deadwing posted:

At least you know better. I keep picking up Belgian pale ales because I like Duvel, even though I haven't had another Belgian pale that I enjoy. I don't like any of them. I don't know why I keep doing it, but I keep loving buying Belgian pale ales.

Have you tried North Coast's Pranqster or Orval's ale?

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

escape artist posted:

Have you tried North Coast's Pranqster or Orval's ale?

It's just called Orval.

I had a Woodcut No. 4 (which is about 2 years old at this point) and a year old or so Alesmith Horny Devil the other night at a cookout (lucky me). I thought the Horny Devil was pretty interesting, with big pear notes that stood out. The Woodcut was really great, with a nice soft body and a lot of subtleness. It reminded me what a "thoughtful" beer was like again, I suppose.

Kosher man
May 8, 2002

Ubik posted:

Yes, the bottles will mention where it was produced. As for the Summertime, none of it has gone outside of the main Fulton Street facility - we're brewing it all ourselves. It's taken up the majority of our production for the last few months because of how popular it is, but right now we're brewing more Green Line and IPA than ever. Which means having to deal with the goddamn DE filter every loving day. :v:

Ahem I think you mean horizontal pressure leaf filter (unless you actually use DE which I doubt). Also gently caress filtering. I hated running that drat thing.

Fun fact that 75% N2 and 25%co2 is called G-mix.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
what size and price are bottles of Supplication, Temptation, and Sanctification? are they all 375mL?

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

funkybottoms posted:

what size and price are bottles of Supplication, Temptation, and Sanctification? are they all 375mL?

Yeah, Supplication is $11-15 depending on where you get it (in CA/CO). For Philly not sure.

cryme
Apr 9, 2004

by zen death robot
Going rate for philly seems to be about 18 bucks.

Memphis Taproom discounts 15% (I believe) for to-go bottles, so that's probably the place to score a bottle. Last time I was there they had a bunch of 09 Consecration 750's as well.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Oh god

Every night of SAVOR week is going to be great, but this event gets personal. As many of you may know our own Greg Engert is playing a big role the forthcoming Bluejacket brewery in DC, and on Thursday we will make Bluejacket’s very first collaboration beer available to the public! Join us for a special release of this beer that was concocted by Head Brewer Megan Parisi and the teams from Cigar City Brewing and Funky Buddha.

BLUEJACKET-CIGAR CITY-FUNKY BUDDHA COLLABORATION
SNACK ATTACK: Imperial Porter w/ Key West Sea Salt, Cocoa Nibs, Lactose Milk Sugar & Honey-Roasted Peanuts

CIGAR CITY BEER LIST

MARSHAL ZHUKOV IMPERIAL STOUT: APPLE BRANDY BARREL-AGED
CUCUMBER SAISON
MANGO HABANERO RED ALE
BLUEBERRY MUFFIN BROWN ALE
DOS COSTAS OESTE: CEDAR (w/ The Bruery)
DOS COSTAS OESTE: LEMON WOOD (w/ The Bruery)
DOS COSTAS OESTE: GRAPEFRUIT WOOD (w/ The Bruery)
JEAN RIBAULT FRENCH PALE ALE
PEACH INDIA PALE
KALEVIPOEG BALTIC PORTER
BONE VALLEY BROWN ALE
IMPROV OATMEAL RYE INDIAN BROWN ALE
CUBANO-STYLE ESPRESSO BROWN ALE
TABLE SAISON
LIGERO BLACK LAGER
FLORIDA CRACKER WHITE ALE
JAI ALAI INDIA PALE ALE
MADURO OATMEAL BROWN ALE
MADURO OATMEAL BROWN ALE (Nitro Pour)
TOCABAGO RED ALE

FUNKY BUDDHA BEER LIST

MAPLE BACON COFFEE PORTER
NO CRUSTS
BONITA APPLEBUM
LAST SNOW COFFEE PORTER
DAYWALKER GINGER IPA
PINA COLADA
RASBERRY BERLINER WEISSE

This is a rare chance to enjoy a slew of beers unavailable in our area! No entry fee. All featured beers will be priced in 4 oz taster and full pours.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

First day on a new job, and there's nothing better than cold beer after hard work. This was a housewarming gift from a friend. Nice malty red/amber ale, a bit nutty with only a little bit of a hop bite on the end.

Also, I am old and out of shape. Yes I am drinking the entire growler myself. If that doesn't heal my weary bones after a day of heavy lifting nothing will.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Munkaboo posted:

Oh god

Every night of SAVOR week is going to be great, but this event gets personal. As many of you may know our own Greg Engert is playing a big role the forthcoming Bluejacket brewery in DC, and on Thursday we will make Bluejacket’s very first collaboration beer available to the public! Join us for a special release of this beer that was concocted by Head Brewer Megan Parisi and the teams from Cigar City Brewing and Funky Buddha.

SNACK ATTACK: Imperial Porter w/ Key West Sea Salt, Cocoa Nibs, Lactose Milk Sugar & Honey-Roasted Peanuts

CIGAR CITY BEER LIST

CUCUMBER SAISON
MANGO HABANERO RED ALE
PEACH INDIA PALE
KALEVIPOEG BALTIC PORTER
BONE VALLEY BROWN ALE
TABLE SAISON
LIGERO BLACK LAGER
JAI ALAI INDIA PALE ALE
MADURO OATMEAL BROWN ALE
TOCABAGO RED ALE

FUNKY BUDDHA BEER LIST

NO CRUSTS
BONITA APPLEBUM
LAST SNOW COFFEE PORTER
DAYWALKER GINGER IPA
PINA COLADA
RASBERRY BERLINER WEISSE

This is a rare chance to enjoy a slew of beers unavailable in our area! No entry fee. All featured beers will be priced in 4 oz taster and full pours.
Oh man... Amazing. :fap: Especially the Zhukov in Apple Brandy barrels

edit: Trying Lagunitas IPA Maximus for like the 10th time. For some reason, this is the best the beer has ever tasted. Very smooth, despite the high ABV. Surprisingly balanced.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 30, 2012

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

escape artist posted:

Don't sleep on the Funky Buddha Last Snow for anyone who's going. That beer is so good.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

Munkaboo posted:

Oh god

CIGAR CITY BEER LIST

CUCUMBER SAISON
MANGO HABANERO RED ALE
PEACH INDIA PALE
KALEVIPOEG BALTIC PORTER
BONE VALLEY BROWN ALE
TABLE SAISON
LIGERO BLACK LAGER
JAI ALAI INDIA PALE ALE
MADURO OATMEAL BROWN ALE
TOCABAGO RED ALE

FUNKY BUDDHA BEER LIST

NO CRUSTS
BONITA APPLEBUM
LAST SNOW COFFEE PORTER
DAYWALKER GINGER IPA
PINA COLADA
RASBERRY BERLINER WEISSE

Holy poo poo this sounds amazing.

Edit: I never understood the bubblegum flavor people mention in beer until I drank Sixpoint's Apollo, this is great and the bubblegum makes a strong appearance on the finish. It also seems that this beer is making its way towards the top of the list for the style. I'll have to try Weihenstaphen's to compare, but that's pretty impressive, especially for an American brewery.

Midorka fucked around with this message at 05:19 on May 30, 2012

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

wattershed posted:

Yes. Its awesome and totally worth it. Picked it up for a stupidly high price at Stone on vacation but.. I was on vacation and having some awesome food.

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Drinking a Stone IRS from this year -- god drat, it's the best bang for your buck in terms of RIS that are amazing to be aged.

Since May is the Anniversary month for the Bruery, they've been releasing stuff from their back stock all month long. Today I picked up a 2010 black tuesday. The nice cherry on top was that the Provision store had Firestone Walker's Parabola on the shelf.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
Had a mixed bottle pack of German beers (mostly lagers and hefes) this weekend (German beer on Memorial Day, yeah!). The Celebrator Dopplebock was great as always but what really stood out for me in retrospect was Weihenstephaner Original. I actually haven't had that one before and I'm getting thirsty just remembering it; great beer.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

Kosher man posted:

Ahem I think you mean horizontal pressure leaf filter (unless you actually use DE which I doubt). Also gently caress filtering. I hated running that drat thing.

Nope, it's a bell-and-candle style DE filter.

Filters in general are the most fussy little bastards though.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

rage-saq posted:

Yes. Its awesome and totally worth it. Picked it up for a stupidly high price at Stone on vacation but.. I was on vacation and having some awesome food.

Is that Koningshoeven? They must have changed their label or logo in the past few years.

Angry Grimace posted:

Had a mixed bottle pack of German beers (mostly lagers and hefes) this weekend (German beer on Memorial Day, yeah!). The Celebrator Dopplebock was great as always but what really stood out for me in retrospect was Weihenstephaner Original. I actually haven't had that one before and I'm getting thirsty just remembering it; great beer.

The Ayinger Celebrator Dopplebock? Yeah, easily the best of its style and one of the best beers around.

For some reason, I just can't get into Weihenstephaner. Maybe I just don't like hefes. I should probably give it another go. As it has been a few years since I last tried it.

And honestly, after drinking GUBNA and Maple Doughnut Bacon Pork Infusion from Hell, every beer tastes better to me. So I guess those purchases were worth it, in a sense.

escape artist fucked around with this message at 10:10 on May 30, 2012

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Weihenstephaner Original is just a lager, I think? It's also really drat good. Had one of their Korbinian doppelbocks on Memorial Day, which I like better than Celebrator.

Also had a St. Feuillien Saison, and holy poo poo is that a good saison. So crisp and dry, and perfectly balanced. I could drink that all day long.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Retemnav posted:

Weihenstephaner Original is just a lager, I think? It's also really drat good.

It sucks when you buy a case of Original when you were expecting Hefeweizen, though (which happened to a buddy of mine).

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Mr. Glass posted:

It sucks when you buy a case of Original when you were expecting Hefeweizen, though (which happened to a buddy of mine).

Yeah, it sucks when you can't read.

(Kidding!)

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

escape artist posted:

Apple Brandy Zhukov actually was terrible and overwhelmingly sticky sweet. It was basically everything I hate about beer lately.

I know I'm kind of known to be a hater, but I've honestly tried being positive about beer lately, especially in this thread. I simply think this was a terrible beer.

Paul Proteus
Dec 6, 2007

Zombina says "si hoc legere scis nimium eruditionis habes!"

ShaneB posted:

Apple Brandy Zhukov actually was terrible and overwhelmingly sticky sweet. It was basically everything I hate about beer lately.

I know I'm kind of known to be a hater, but I've honestly tried being positive about beer lately, especially in this thread. I simply think this was a terrible beer.

Yea, I have to agree. It was so sweet and the pours were way too big for that beer. Apple brandy barrels are tough, I think it's better to start with a drier beer. That Pannepot Grand Reserva 05 is an example of apple brandy done well.

The Vanilla Dark Lord was overly sweet in a great way though. Mmm marshmallows.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Retemnav posted:

Weihenstephaner Original is just a lager, I think? It's also really drat good. Had one of their Korbinian doppelbocks on Memorial Day, which I like better than Celebrator.

Also had a St. Feuillien Saison, and holy poo poo is that a good saison. So crisp and dry, and perfectly balanced. I could drink that all day long.

Yup, it's a Helles Lager. It's extremely good, although I don't know too much about how good it is in relation to the style since I'm pretty new to most lager styles.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Paul Proteus posted:

Yea, I have to agree. It was so sweet and the pours were way too big for that beer. Apple brandy barrels are tough, I think it's better to start with a drier beer. That Pannepot Grand Reserva 05 is an example of apple brandy done well.

The Vanilla Dark Lord was overly sweet in a great way though. Mmm marshmallows.

Yeah, Pannepot GR was fabulous.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Any Ohio beer goons had The Brew Kettle's imperial stout, Tunguska?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
The new GI Abbey-style, Black Mission, sounds really interesting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMsgSuMoBZ0; any Chicagoids try it yet? How about their new strawberry Dortmunder? If I wasn't so broke at the moment, I'd find out myself :(