Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I dig like fake hardcore (ie: WWE Hardcore division) and ECW Hardcore (brawls and flips and tables and dumb poo poo).

Is classic FMW worth a watch or is it totally brutal with nailbeds and barbed wire and exploding stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
Pretty much every hardcore promotion ever has their big gimmicky deathmatches in the main event and fills the rest of the card with brawls and flips and assorted dumb poo poo.

I'd say check out some current BJW stuff instead though, both because the shows are easier to find and because the people doing the brawls & flips are generally more talented than the FMW midcarders.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

LordPants posted:

I dig like fake hardcore (ie: WWE Hardcore division) and ECW Hardcore (brawls and flips and tables and dumb poo poo).

Is classic FMW worth a watch or is it totally brutal with nailbeds and barbed wire and exploding stuff?
Classic FMW is fine as long as you aren't watching a Mr Pogo match. DDT Pro sounds exactly what you're looking for though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAg_wIDRnG8

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Okada has impressed the hell out of me during his reign.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Illinois Smith posted:

Pretty much every hardcore promotion ever has their big gimmicky deathmatches in the main event and fills the rest of the card with brawls and flips and assorted dumb poo poo.

I'd say check out some current BJW stuff instead though, both because the shows are easier to find and because the people doing the brawls & flips are generally more talented than the FMW midcarders.

BJW is awesome. You got Hoss Offs, juniors action and lots of light tubes. Lots of them.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Light tubes are pretty brutal, though. Not many promotions do "light" hardcore that's any good.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
How does the light tubes thing work, anyway? I was under the impression there was toxic stuff inside them or something and it would be bad if one exploded in your face.

Sionistic
Apr 22, 2008

We don't need your money!
Light tubes pieces can cut skin pretty easily, and yes, the dust inside is quite toxic. But hey gotta get those spots in.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
The light tubes that they use in those matches are non-toxic, but they're still sharp. Depending on the way you hit someone with a florecent tube, it doesn't hurt too badly at all, but it becomes a moot point when there's 30 pounds of glass shards on the mat.

I'm sure if these guys were inhaling mercury of that volume every match, they'd be a little more hosed up than having a bunch of scars. There's still mercury in them, unless they're 100% gimmicked and just glass tubes. But not enough that it's going to really bother them I'd guess.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Ditch posted:

Light tubes are pretty brutal, though. Not many promotions do "light" hardcore that's any good.
What I meant is that they don't do more light tube matches than, say, FMW did "exploding _____" matches. The difference is that you can watch every newer BJW show split by match on Dailmymotion and just leave out the stuff that's too gory for you, while for FMW the stuff that's available for free is mostly just exploding ring matches and other crazy main events.

OmegaBR
Feb 14, 2012

Come to me .... and live forever.
Here's a random question: anybody know what Hajime Ohara used as his entrance theme in the later events of SMASH?

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Illinois Smith posted:

What I meant is that they don't do more light tube matches than, say, FMW did "exploding _____" matches. The difference is that you can watch every newer BJW show split by match on Dailmymotion and just leave out the stuff that's too gory for you, while for FMW the stuff that's available for free is mostly just exploding ring matches and other crazy main events.
There's a fair amount of non-deathmatch FMW out there (ie. Hayabusa, Masato Tanaka)

Meanwhile, "Strong BJ" has nothing to do with hardcore. So it's not really a fit for LordPants.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Ditch posted:

There's a fair amount of non-deathmatch FMW out there (ie. Hayabusa, Masato Tanaka)

Meanwhile, "Strong BJ" has nothing to do with hardcore. So it's not really a fit for LordPants.
Right, a lot of what people know about FMW are just the super violent matches, the exploding cages, and Megumi Kudo (Who took place in both, really) but they had really good, competitive non-hardcore matches. It's like the people who think about ECW and don't know anything about Nova, or Dean Malenko being there.

DDT Pro is probably the best route if you're looking for silly hardcore matches. Takagi (The owner) and his bizarre rumble weapon matches (Using people's wives as weapons? Lockers? It's crazy) and the crew who do the "Anywhere" matches at factories, parks, inside of small towns, ect. There's really silly matches too, like the bread-eating deathmatch.

DDT Pro is what Crash Holly was in the Hardcore division times 5.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Cool, thanks for the help guys, I'll stick with DDT.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Are NJPW turning Naito? Is that what the angle was mid match at the BOSJ night one?

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice

LordPants posted:

Are NJPW turning Naito? Is that what the angle was mid match at the BOSJ night one?

I thought it was more him and Tanahashi trying to one up each other since both have eyes on Okada. I did notice though that Tanahashi wasn't getting as many calls and seemed to be a bit more prickish.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Holy poo poo the Zero 1/NOAH tag was intense.

It's sad to see Marufuji starting to slow down tho.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

In less than 6 months NJPW has made total stars out of Okada and Goto. Other companies need to pay attention because Dontaku is how you take two guys and put them both over.

gently caress Low-Ki though, on a personal level.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
So Goto has finally escaped the shadow of Nakamura and Tanahashi and "second" to them?

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
They put him over Tanahashi recently and gave him a shot at Okada. It was pretty awesome. They're really putting some foundations in place.

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

LordPants posted:

They put him over Tanahashi recently and gave him a shot at Okada. It was pretty awesome. They're really putting some foundations in place.
A lot of other companies are floundering in their main event scene, afraid to either pull the trigger, or finding someone that clicks with fans. Somehow NJPW has struck gold and found two in a short time.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Flameingblack posted:

In less than 6 months NJPW has made total stars out of Okada and Goto.
They could've had Goto be a total star when he returned from his Mexican vacation in 2009 all badass and buff and with tons of momentum. Then they kinda dicked around with him for three years.

They've done a nice job reestablishing him but as far as star-making goes, Naito had a way bigger 2012 than him.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Jun 10, 2012

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
BOSJ Final:

Taguchi over Pac
Ki over Devitt

Taguchi over Ki

All matches are good but not great.

edit: Which was the old Japanese promotion that had the Intergalactic Title?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Flameingblack posted:

A lot of other companies are floundering in their main event scene, afraid to either pull the trigger, or finding someone that clicks with fans. Somehow NJPW has struck gold and found two in a short time.

New Japan is right now the smartest wrestling company in the world.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
I dunno, is Goto in a significantly better position than he was in late 2007? He was given a midcard title and keeps having heartbreaking IWGP losses.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Illinois Smith posted:

They could've had Goto be a total star when he returned from his Mexican vacation in 2009 all badass and buff and with tons of momentum. Then they kinda dicked around with him for three years.
The NOAH "young" roster's been dicked around even longer.
:negative:

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

LordPants posted:

BOSJ Final:

Taguchi over Pac
Ki over Devitt

Taguchi over Ki

All matches are good but not great.

edit: Which was the old Japanese promotion that had the Intergalactic Title?

That is not the outcome I expected. :(

Also, everyone tweet Prince Devitt(@fergaldevitt) asking when he's gonna be selling merch.

Lloyd Boner
Oct 11, 2009

Yes officer, my name is Victoria Sonnen...berg

coconono posted:

That is not the outcome I expected. :(

It's the same way they've booked the BOSJ since 2007.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Ditch posted:

I dunno, is Goto in a significantly better position than he was in late 2007? He was given a midcard title and keeps having heartbreaking IWGP losses.

All I know is I love the guy now. :shobon:

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

For me it's mostly the switch to those samurai pants. That looks owns.

NotQuiteQuentin
Jan 29, 2005

BIG OVER
College Slice
And the rumor is that Low Ki managed to take out BOTH members of Apollo 55 today. Devitt with his knee (probably was his own fault on the double stomp) and Taguchi fought through with a legit eye thing. :golfclap:

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Look at 2004 and all the great guys who were on the indies. Low-Ki hasn't gone anywhere since then and still thinks he's tough poo poo. I think the only other guy from that period who hasn't gone on to major TNA or WWE title runs is Super Dragon, who owns part of PWG and has been injured for the past couple years.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

Illinois Smith posted:

For me it's mostly the switch to those samurai pants. That looks owns.
This cannot be stressed enough.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Ditch posted:

This cannot be stressed enough.

How long has he had that gear? It's awesome.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

If I remember right, he debuted it a year ago when he last challenged Tanahashi for the belt.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnryx4_hiroshi-tanahashi-vs-hirooki-goto-njpw_sport?search_algo=1

apsouthern
May 24, 2007

Chain Gang Soldier

IVP posted:

The FREE weekly download of the week is the Best of Misawa vs. Kawada V.7. Not only is the download free, the DVD is available for the low cost of one penny! If you want to get some other DVDs with the order use the coupon code Misawa to get 25% off! What a deal, please spread the word. Here are the match listings on this amazing disc.

Toshiaki Kawada vs. Steve Williams (04/16/94)
Akira Taue & Toshiaki Kawada vs. Kenta Kobashi & Mitsuharu Misawa (05/21/94)
Toshiaki Kawada vs.Mitsuharu Misawa (06/03/94)

http://new.ivpvideos2.com/product_info.php?products_id=8290

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

That's a super deal! I just got paid so I'm probably going to order some more FMW stuff, 25% off helps quite a bit, the prices are great already.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

If you aren't buying from IVP, you're a terrible person. Its dirt cheap and there's TONS of cool stuff.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
And I uploaded a ton of discs there (like... 1% of the catalog), so I get a (small) cut of that action!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

Ditch posted:

And I uploaded a ton of discs there (like... 1% of the catalog), so I get a (small) cut of that action!
So how much of that penny do you get from the Kawada DVD?

Io Shirai and NOSAWA are out of jail on bail, but the investigation isn't over. Kind hope that they just ship NOSAWA back to jail forever.

FOWEEEEWWWAAAAAA