Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

Jonnty posted:

Depending on what you're wanting to achieve with timetables, the "automate" button is pretty handy - it ensures all your trains are evenly spread across your route. Obviously this means you lose fine-tuning of the timetable, but I find that that tends to be far too much work for all but the smallest of routes.

I'll have to check that out. I usually start by automating and then put it into manual mode to adjust the number of days spent at the station. I'll see what happens if I just let it automate fully.

FISHMANPET posted:

The tracks themselves are the problem. Electric track is 10x as expensive as regular track. Maglev is only double the price of regular tracks. Right now in MP I built a little starter line with between two towns, and I spent about a million dollars, including trains. To upgrade that track to electric is $700k. I'm sure it would pay for itself, but starting out I don't think it's a very good idea.

Ah, so electric is 5x maglev then? That makes no sense... I agree it's not really worth it to use electric at first since the non-electric trains aren't that far off performance-wise. Once I get a decent bankroll, though, I would definitely upgrade it, especially for passenger routes--I need the super-powered 200+ mph two-sided engines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
What are the settings you use to generate the maps? The cities are far more spread out and the land much flatter than the normal defaults.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

Is the server down? The server list says it's offline...

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Arashpex Rogers posted:

Is the server down? The server list says it's offline...

It may have crashed. I'll check when I get home.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

less than three posted:

It may have crashed. I'll check when I get home.

Cool, thanks. Gotta get my vac-train setup going!

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Apex Rogers posted:

Cool, thanks. Gotta get my vac-train setup going!

Okay it's up.

bigperm
Jul 10, 2001
some obscure reference
Is there a recommend single player version? I used to play the goonpack from the old thread but it's way out of date and default just seems bare to me. Really just wondering so that I don't have to try out grf's to see if I like them/they work well together.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

bigperm posted:

Is there a recommend single player version? I used to play the goonpack from the old thread but it's way out of date and default just seems bare to me. Really just wondering so that I don't have to try out grf's to see if I like them/they work well together.

There's a new patch pack we're using, posted a few pages ago:

less than three posted:

We're now using patch pack version hfe846ddd.

Get it here: http://bundles.openttdcoop.org/chillpp/releases/hfe846ddd/

We use these GRFs as well on the server:

less than three posted:

Yeah. Server is now up.

If you don't have the TTGC grf, you can get it here.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
Joining the multiplayer server once will download all the GRFs you need to enjoy single player. :)

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Ahh, the server is really laggy. I love the company that have 128 boats though. Looks like you could walk between the cities on top of all those hovercrafts. Made me smile :)

I would love a new map though, so I can join in on the trainfun.

A no-landscaping game preferred, as those can be very interesting.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

Dunno-Lars posted:

Ahh, the server is really laggy. I love the company that have 128 boats though. Looks like you could walk between the cities on top of all those hovercrafts. Made me smile :)

These two facts might be related...

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Jonnty posted:

These two facts might be related...

Oh, I know. There were a lot of vehicles, which is what made it run like poo poo.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
Does anyone have a savegame that has some really complicated and huge rail station designs? I'm talking high throughput stations with a dozen or so docking stations. I understand how presignals work, I just want to see what they look like in the hands of someone adept.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Node posted:

Does anyone have a savegame that has some really complicated and huge rail station designs? I'm talking high throughput stations with a dozen or so docking stations. I understand how presignals work, I just want to see what they look like in the hands of someone adept.

You might try looking at one of the old OpenTTDCoop maps, or taking a look at their public server. If you go public, you can see the maps in action. I've been playing there a bit, and there is a lot you can pick up about basic signal design. They tend to use the standard presignals over path signals, except in certain cases (they argue that presignals are more robust than path signals).

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

Node posted:

If path signals are enabled they are far easier to understand and tend to not jam if you use them correctly.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I play the game from multiple computers, and decided to use Dropbox to sync the game between computers. I was trying to figure out how to get my save games to sync, instead of them being in My Documents. Turns out it's really simple, just copy all that stuff into you're Install directory, because on launch the first place openttd.exe looks is in the current working directory.

Simple enough, but took me some time to figure it out, thought others might find it useful.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is there some trick to getting a passenger rail line with multiple stops to work? I've got a vac train line with two endpoints, and 4 stops in between. It doesn't look like passengers are boarding the correct train. When it pulls into one endpoint, there are 650 passengers waiting to go to the other endpoint, but they don't get on that train. They just get fed up until they turn into "any destination" passengers.
E: Ok, maybe it is working? I just checked that station and it's empty, so I guess they got on some train. Do I have to specify each stop along the way, or can I just set up the orders to go between endpoints and turn off the non-stop order?

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 17:24 on May 24, 2012

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

FISHMANPET posted:

Is there some trick to getting a passenger rail line with multiple stops to work? I've got a vac train line with two endpoints, and 4 stops in between. It doesn't look like passengers are boarding the correct train. When it pulls into one endpoint, there are 650 passengers waiting to go to the other endpoint, but they don't get on that train. They just get fed up until they turn into "any destination" passengers.
E: Ok, maybe it is working? I just checked that station and it's empty, so I guess they got on some train. Do I have to specify each stop along the way, or can I just set up the orders to go between endpoints and turn off the non-stop order?

Cargodist orders must be non-stop and include every station otherwise the pathing system doesn't work. Also, if you've added a new stop on a line, this might bugger up your passenger figures for a while as passengers get on a train based on what the first stop is rather than where it's going, I think. Both of these problems are solved with YACD (but it's much harder.)

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

FISHMANPET posted:

When we run cargodist, I roll with a hub model. All passenger trains have two orders that are auto timetabled, one to the local station and one to the hub. This seems to work out well for me.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Well it seems as if the vac trains will cause the server to lag.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
The server is down :supaburn: :f5:

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

FISHMANPET posted:

The server is down :supaburn: :f5:

Back up. Someone told me to restart the server during Eurovision (for reasons unrelated to OpenTTD) and I was too drunk to remember to restart the game once the server rebooted.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
This is... holy poo poo this is the same map (but new year)?

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

FISHMANPET posted:

This is... holy poo poo this is the same map (but new year)?

Yeah. I wasn't at home so I just started it without changing the generation seed. Bad idea?

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Same map is fine, I'll just build on another corner so it's new to me :D

So per a discussion last night about weight, I did some digging into the GRFs and figured some stuff out.

Oil, Grain, Wood, Iron Ore, Steel, Paper, Food, Fruit, Copper Ore, Water, and Chemicals are a true weight, one ton weights one ton (or 1000 liters weights 1 ton for oil, water, and chemicals. This is because in the GRF these all have a weight value of "10".

A passenger weighs .1 tons (value of 01), mail is .4 tons per bag, an item of livestock is .3 tons, a crate of goods is .8 tons, gold is .8 tons, and valuables and diamonds are .2 tons.

Now those are all actually just an (educated) guess from reading the GRF nfo file, but I'm feeling pretty confident that the value is how many tenths of a ton a unit of cargo weighs.

Finally, a page about power and tractive effort, and how much you need: http://wiki.openttd.org/Tractive_Effort

Now we've got a freight train weight multiplier of 4, which (as far as I can tell) only multiplies the actual cargo, not the train as a whole (somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that, but it looks like that's how the change log entry was written for .5.0). To figure out how much your train will weigh, take the weight of each engine, the weight of each car (the first number, the second in parenthesis is how much the car weighs full, ignoring freight multiplier), and add 4 times the total cargo capacity. The slope of our map is 4% (used for the TE calculation), not 3 like the given example. It looks like the coeffecient of friction (.35) is hardcoded into the game.

Apex Rogers
Jun 12, 2006

disturbingly functional

Wow, just when I thought this game couldn't get any spergier, we now need an abacas and slide rule just to choose the proper engine! I'll just go with the ballsiest, most powerful ones I can afford I guess, lol.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Apex Rogers posted:

Wow, just when I thought this game couldn't get any spergier, we now need an abacas and slide rule just to choose the proper engine! I'll just go with the ballsiest, most powerful ones I can afford I guess, lol.

In pretty much any game involving choice or chance it's possible to do math to reason about optimal behaviour and so on; you're not going to escape it no matter which game you play

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
I've been playing this game since it was released on DOS, but there are some quick with OpenTTD I don't quite get. With "smooth economy" on, I can't seem to get any producers making high quantity of goods. Farms, forests, and the like, are constantly closing or have terrible production, like 6 items of livestock and 12 tonnes of grain from a farm.

How do I stop that from happening? I can't really maintain a massive train empire of dozens of farms feeding one factory, because the farms are really lovely and those trains can't even make profit in a year.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

Node posted:

I've been playing this game since it was released on DOS, but there are some quick with OpenTTD I don't quite get. With "smooth economy" on, I can't seem to get any producers making high quantity of goods. Farms, forests, and the like, are constantly closing or have terrible production, like 6 items of livestock and 12 tonnes of grain from a farm.

How do I stop that from happening? I can't really maintain a massive train empire of dozens of farms feeding one factory, because the farms are really lovely and those trains can't even make profit in a year.

I don't know if I'm repeating what you already know, but the best way of ensuring the production of a factory increases is to always have a train ready to load stock lying in the platform. I don't see how you're not making a profit though - even on low-production farms, one train taking on full loads and going a reasonable distance should pretty much always be able to make a profit. Do you use incredibly expensive locomotives, or something like that?

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Jonnty posted:

I don't know if I'm repeating what you already know, but the best way of ensuring the production of a factory increases is to always have a train ready to load stock lying in the platform. I don't see how you're not making a profit though - even on low-production farms, one train taking on full loads and going a reasonable distance should pretty much always be able to make a profit. Do you use incredibly expensive locomotives, or something like that?

In my current game, its around year 2000 and I'm using Asia Stars.

For example, I have a farm a few screens away from a factory, connected by one of these trains. It produces a really lovely amount of stock, like 8 items/12 tonnes. I've tried having a train simply run there and pick up whatever is available and take it to the factory, and I've tried having trains wait for a full load before delivering. Either way, there are cases where the trains still do not make a profit. Its confusing me, because I've never run into this problem before in over a decade of playing this game.

None of my farms I've had connected the entire game have anything about 30 items/30 tonnes. Theres ones that really, really far away that produces 200 items of Livestock that no transport company has ever serviced. Its frustrating, because I just can't find a pattern.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Is there a way to make a drive through truck/tram stop work for a farm? I'm trying to get grain and livestock to pickup from the same station, but the two vehicles just pull in behind each other, and when the behind vehicle is full, it's just stuck behind the front vehicle slow loading. I'd like them to use opposite sides of the station, but they're not doing that. Do I have to just create two seperate stations, one for each resource?

E: Well, solved my own problem I guess. This is what I did:

Exchange is the 5 tile station on the left, Branch is the one tile station on the right. My endpoint is down and to the left of that cluster, so I have my livestock truck going back and forth between the endpoint and exchange so it enters the station at the bottm, and my grain truck goes via branch, so it enters the exchange from the top.

FISHMANPET fucked around with this message at 07:08 on May 31, 2012

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

The only way I've had any success with those kind of stations is to place them wide instead of long. You can also use one way roads to guide the trucks.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
A couple of suggestions for next game:
  • Get rid of eGRVTS. Since we're not playing in 1700 we don't need the early vehicles it provides, and I think the other sets give a pretty comprehensive set of vehicles. As it is they're just cluttering up the buy windows.
  • Get rid of HEQS. These are too slow and expensive to be of any use, so again they're just cluttering the buy windows
  • Maybe use Nutracks? I'm not sure on this, as I don't know how Nutracks works with track maintenance costs. For that matter, I don't even know how track maintenance works at all right now, other than it costs money.
Fell free to ignore any suggestions I've made.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Node posted:

In my current game, its around year 2000 and I'm using Asia Stars.

For example, I have a farm a few screens away from a factory, connected by one of these trains. It produces a really lovely amount of stock, like 8 items/12 tonnes. I've tried having a train simply run there and pick up whatever is available and take it to the factory, and I've tried having trains wait for a full load before delivering. Either way, there are cases where the trains still do not make a profit. Its confusing me, because I've never run into this problem before in over a decade of playing this game.

None of my farms I've had connected the entire game have anything about 30 items/30 tonnes. Theres ones that really, really far away that produces 200 items of Livestock that no transport company has ever serviced. Its frustrating, because I just can't find a pattern.

Look at the satisfaction rating. If it's above like 80, it will increase production. To raise it, you need to have a train sitting in the station waiting. Goods sitting in the station will lower it.

SwimNurd
Oct 28, 2007

mememememe

FISHMANPET posted:

• Get rid of eGRVTS. Since we're not playing in 1700 we don't need the early vehicles it provides, and I think the other sets give a pretty comprehensive set of vehicles. As it is they're just cluttering up the buy windows.

If we get rid of the horse and buggies how will I troll the hell out of Kilonum's bus routes?

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

A couple of suggestions for next game:

My suggestion list:

• Keep it in and restart the game in 1867 today :canada:

Yeah, that's all I got, the current map has basically gone as far as it can.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Operation Horseshit was a resounding success.

Then we flooded it and they all died.

Then Charity and I made more personal islands.

I think this map has seen everything.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
And then I built it up again.

I just discovered something amazing. If you hold ctrl while clicking and dragging terrain or demolition tools, you can create make rectangles at an angle to the grid.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Welp, wrap it up transportailures :smuggo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

Welp, wrap it up transportailures :smuggo:

I see one of my founded cities is living up to it's name.

• Locked thread