Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
Chantix worked for me, somehow, but what really worked was Alan Carr's book The Easy Way to Stop Smoking. He holds your hand through the process, and gets you through the rough patches. It's a relatively quick read; I managed to clear it within a day. It's a rather slim volume.

The Chantix didn't do all it could do, because (1) I'd already not had cigarettes in a couple of weeks by that point, and (2) it turned me into a shaking, dehydrated mess in the middle of summer, and (3) I'm /horrible/ with remembering to take a pill. If Chantix were BC, I'd be pregnant 10 times over by now. The good thing about Chantix is that it kind of helped facilitate the reading of the book. It was like, "Well, now that the pills are here, it's do or die time. Let's try reading this thing and see if it helps."

Not every thing is for everyone, but I know the book helped me. If you want, I can give you my copy. I don't need it anymore.

Accidental Pregnancy Snype:

dino. fucked around with this message at 13:30 on May 30, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I'd be a bad goon if I didn't come in here to mention that pr0k's home smoked bacon is really loving good. I think I'll finally be making the jump into smoking my own meats. Also, gourd made really tasty spicy lamb meatballs that were so good that hours later I burped and the burp tasted like good meatballs.

Oh and frisbee is the lamest of all sports/excuses.

Ninja edit: the main page of the GWS wiki hit over a half million page views. We're sharing food education with the Internet!

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 13:49 on May 30, 2012

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Halalelujah posted:

I was going to go on chantix, but despite my insurance covering it, I'm not going to. I lived for years taking strong malaria meds and every night was a coin toss on whether or not I had a cold-sweat nightmare. That combined with my day job made for an unpleasant life...I would rather deal with cold-turkey anger and frustration than have my nights punish me as much as my days.

Odd how many people I have talked to who took Chantix had similar open-ocean dreams.

I didn't know the open ocean thing was commonplace. That's kinda neat. Going into Chantix, I was already on edge because of some depression issues (a side effect of "you might want to kill yourself when taking this drug" made me pretty uneasy). Luckily, it was just dreams beating people and things up. Given your line of work, I'm sure you're making the right decision. Good luck, and Godspeed.

This time around, I'm going cold turkey with an occasional packet of snus to take the edge off if, say, I give myself hives like the last time I quit cold turkey. Also giving up drinking for a while. There's no way in hell I can get off smoking if I continue to drink, so adios booze for a bit.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Aside from having to take a mental inventory every morning to determine whether or not the dreams I had the night before were in fact real, Chantix gave me borderline violent mood swings, nausea, and depression.

I ended up going off the Chantix cold turkey because of what it was doing to me, and that was a mistake, because I was real hosed up for a couple weeks after that.

Then some real life poo poo hit the fan, and I started smoking again. My wife was understanding about my smoking, and also said when it was time to quit again, no way in hell was she letting me take the chantix.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
Shitfuck. I missed the whole bartolimu beet-down. Those threads are beautiful (or should I say BEEETiful?? No, I shouldn't). I'd like Happy Hat to re-open the voting thread for a few seconds, just so I can give it my five.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

Eat This Glob posted:

I didn't know the open ocean thing was commonplace. That's kinda neat. Going into Chantix, I was already on edge because of some depression issues (a side effect of "you might want to kill yourself when taking this drug" made me pretty uneasy). Luckily, it was just dreams beating people and things up. Given your line of work, I'm sure you're making the right decision. Good luck, and Godspeed.

This time around, I'm going cold turkey with an occasional packet of snus to take the edge off if, say, I give myself hives like the last time I quit cold turkey. Also giving up drinking for a while. There's no way in hell I can get off smoking if I continue to drink, so adios booze for a bit.

I quit years ago and I still crave a cig when I'm having a drink. Quitting meth was easier than tobacco by a long shot.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
I'm currently on another quitting attempt, and I haven't tried any method other than cold turkey. I'm not really interested in the patch or gum or what have you, but after hearing all these testimonials, goddamn do I want to try Chantix. Not for help quitting smoking, mind.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

SubG posted:

What's a good place to buy scotch online?

Depending on where you are shipping to, K&L is an excellent option. They aren't a good choice if you want the, well, pedestrian options available at a good supermarket. But if you want some more interesting options, many exclusive to K&L, they are great. They also have an excellent spirits blog.

https://www.klwines.com

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Apparently it's next to impossible to swallow a whole tablespoon of cinnamon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNQEcTGkAgM

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

My brother once gave me the tip that filling a whole can of powdered cinnamon into the car radiator can fix minor leaks, maybe it's related to that? :shobon:

(I've never tried it because, you know, what the gently caress go and fix your loving car you scrub, but it sounds almost too implausible to be true.)

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Ah, Internet challenges. The cinnamon challenge is difficult because it's powdered bark, essentially. Someone will jump in with the technical terms, but suffice it to say that cinnamon is hard to swallow because it doesn't like to get wet, clumpy, and all lubed up for your throat.

My favorite cinnamon challenge video is the black lady that completely underestimates it and tries to eat an entire ladle of cinnamon. Spoiler: she does not succeed.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

pork never goes bad posted:

Depending on where you are shipping to, K&L is an excellent option. They aren't a good choice if you want the, well, pedestrian options available at a good supermarket. But if you want some more interesting options, many exclusive to K&L, they are great. They also have an excellent spirits blog.

https://www.klwines.com
Man, their search criteria thing is hosed. If you click that you only want to see scotches from Scotland it'll only show you 20-odd results because all the Speyside scotches seem to be listed as `single malt whiskey' (not even `Highland single malt whiskey' or `Speyside single malt whiskey') and all the Islay scotches are listed as `Islay single malt whiskey'. Of course neither of these terms is selectable. Irritating.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Sjurygg posted:

My brother once gave me the tip that filling a whole can of powdered cinnamon into the car radiator can fix minor leaks, maybe it's related to that? :shobon:

(I've never tried it because, you know, what the gently caress go and fix your loving car you scrub, but it sounds almost too implausible to be true.)

Egg whites works better.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??

pnumoman posted:

Ah, Internet challenges. The cinnamon challenge is difficult because it's powdered bark, essentially. Someone will jump in with the technical terms, but suffice it to say that cinnamon is hard to swallow because it doesn't like to get wet, clumpy, and all lubed up for your throat.

My favorite cinnamon challenge video is the black lady that completely underestimates it and tries to eat an entire ladle of cinnamon. Spoiler: she does not succeed.
It also stings like hell when you get half a kilo poured over your head, and it mingles with your sweat and releases it's oils on your skin, and rivulets run into your eyes, and into your crotch, and then the true burning begins. Ahh Danish birthday traditions in the provinces.. They are wholesome family entertainment you can trust.

CuddleChunks
Sep 18, 2004

Happy Hat posted:

Ahh Danish birthday traditions in the provinces.. They are wholesome family entertainment you can trust.

:stare: So the Danes have a South too.

I wanna see some big old ten gallon hats with viking horns on 'em. Howdy Yjäll!

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Steve Yun posted:

Apparently it's next to impossible to swallow a whole tablespoon of cinnamon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNQEcTGkAgM

Cinnamon gets very viscous when it gets wet. I like to put a sprinkle of cinnamon in my coffee grounds sometimes and once (when I had taken :lsd: ) I accidentally dumped half a shaker of cinnamon onto the grounds and when I added water it turned into cinnamon snot and made a big mess everywhere :(

I think when people do that cinnamon challenge thing they probably think it'll be like eating a spoonful of sugar then when they put the spoon in their mouth half the powder goes up their sinuses and makes them choke while the rest gets stuck in their throat and makes them puke.

But that doesn't stop those videos being the best thing on youtube next to people eating ghost chillis and people doing flaming shots :unsmigghh:

On a related note, one of my friends has been dared to eat a french fry with a drop of Blair's death sauce (the million scoville unit variety) on it for $200. I can't wait to film it and put it on youtube for everyone to laugh at his stupidity.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

pnumoman posted:

yes this is the best one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyk7utV_D2I

"IS U K IS U GOOD? CUZ I WANT'D 2 KNO~~~~"

Jay Carney
Mar 23, 2007

If you do that you will die on the toilet.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Holy poo poo I love you. So funny.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

SubG posted:

Man, their search criteria thing is hosed. If you click that you only want to see scotches from Scotland it'll only show you 20-odd results because all the Speyside scotches seem to be listed as `single malt whiskey' (not even `Highland single malt whiskey' or `Speyside single malt whiskey') and all the Islay scotches are listed as `Islay single malt whiskey'. Of course neither of these terms is selectable. Irritating.

What do you like? I could make probably forty informed recommendations from k&l

Darval
Nov 20, 2007

Shiny.
Hahahaha, that GloZell one is by far the best one I've seen

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Scientastic posted:

What did you do with the remaining 47.5 hours?

Absolutely nothing useful. It was glorious.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Macaroni, why don't you love us anymore? :(

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

cyberia posted:

On a related note, one of my friends has been dared to eat a french fry with a drop of Blair's death sauce (the million scoville unit variety) on it for $200. I can't wait to film it and put it on youtube for everyone to laugh at his stupidity.

Where can I meet friends like you? I would probably do this for free, let alone for $200. Stupid-hot things own.

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Someone should have taken a minute to google what the cinnamon challenge is.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

Someone should have taken a minute to google what the cinnamon challenge is.

someone should have googled a lot of things. She'll likely be scarred from this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFo4AqyIPsA

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

Joborgzorz posted:

Where can I meet friends like you? I would probably do this for free, let alone for $200. Stupid-hot things own.

Hell, if you want to do it and film it we can probably find enough people in GWS to donate to the cause but this sauce apparently has three times more capsacin than police-issue capsicum spray does. You only need one or two drops in a pot of chilli to make it crazy hot and we're daring our friend to put that much on one french fry and eat it.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

someone should have googled a lot of things. She'll likely be scarred from this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFo4AqyIPsA

Haha this is some Fire Marshall Bill stuff here. A few months from now she's going to be bald, missing an eye and half her teeth

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

GrAviTy84 posted:

Amazing. Thank you.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

therattle posted:

Amazing. Thank you.

CuddleChunks posted:

:Howdy Yjäll!
I love that!

Goddammit, quote is not edit.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

pork never goes bad posted:

What do you like? I could make probably forty informed recommendations from k&l
I was just bitching about the site's navigation (telling it to list scotches doesn't list scotches). I don't really need any recommendations.

AllTerrineVehicle
Jan 8, 2010

I'm great at boats!

cyberia posted:

Hell, if you want to do it and film it we can probably find enough people in GWS to donate to the cause but this sauce apparently has three times more capsacin than police-issue capsicum spray does. You only need one or two drops in a pot of chilli to make it crazy hot and we're daring our friend to put that much on one french fry and eat it.

Wikipedia tells me that police-issue pepper spray is 1.5million+ scoville, and I've eaten baskets of 900k scoville chicken wings. Although now that I think about it the scoville scale may not be linear.

Either way my friends and I are stupid and do things like that for fun. It's probably a good thing nobody is around to egg us on with cash :v:

Ninja edit: I totally want to watch your friend's misery too.

AllTerrineVehicle fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 31, 2012

Delicious Sci Fi
Jul 17, 2006

You cannot lose if you do not play.

GrAviTy84 posted:

Man that woman is desperate for attention.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

GrAviTy84 posted:

The cinnamon dragon's breath weapon is deadly.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

Delicious Sci Fi posted:

Man that woman is desperate for attention.

Well, I'm assuming she makes a living doing this. And seeing that she's a YouTube partner with tons of hits on her videos, I think that's a fairly safe assumption.

Plus, she's an aspiring comedian, so desperate for attention pretty much sums up what she wants to do as a career.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

I *think* the Scoville scale is linear. I've eaten and quite liked nagas in the past, but it's all about the Trinidad Scorpion now. Meant to be tasty.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Drink and Fight posted:

Macaroni, why don't you love us anymore? :(

For real.

Walk Away
Dec 31, 2009

Industrial revolution has flipped the bitch on evolution.

It's because you guys are unbearable.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Big going away party for our much beloved parish priest last night and in between all the homemade wine that the Italians brought and a very nice gentleman walking around pouring styrofoam cups full of tequila for people and insisting they toast together (again, and again, and again), I and many others feel not totally %100 today. I'm glad I live a pretty clean lifestyle because this sort of merrymaking on a regular basis could get pretty rough. Also I think I'm getting old.

Now what's up with Macaroni he's a cool dude.

pr0k
Jan 16, 2001

"Well if it's gonna be
that kind of party..."

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Now what's up with Macaroni he's a cool dude.

Ragequit and deleted all the FB GWS Illuminati from his friendlist for reasons unknown (attention whoring.)

oh god drat it just loving click

http://youtu.be/MBfYQOSSPqc

pr0k fucked around with this message at 17:32 on May 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Yeah, seriously.