Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

motherfish
Nov 11, 2005

Lizard Wizard posted:

If cats work anything like wolves, shouldn't you be able to right-click on him to make him sit still?

Well sure if I'm stationary but when exploring or just digging around I mainly want a cat to hopefully keep creepers out of my grill, annoying having to make them walk-sit-walk-sit when moving quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

Jesto posted:

Probably because gold has a use in so many recipes that it's not a good thing to base your currency system around. If emeralds are only for making pretty blocks and for trading, it's much easier to create a currency based around them.

Personally, I fail to see how that is a reason against using an established material to double as a currency, especially one as uncommon as gold. In fact, it's a good argument as to why we SHOULD have gold instead of a new material.

But I don't dislike having emeralds in the game, since we'll (presumably) now have a new hard block type to build stuff out of, which will be nice, and maybe they'll add in some new items that you'll craft using them in the future too.

Now they just need to add in about a dozen other gems, a half dozen other types of stone, and about 30 new decorative items, and things will really be shaping up nicely.

PalmTreeFun
Apr 25, 2010

*toot*
I'd really just like something a little more unique. Not only more creative/decorative options aside from just new blocks/textures, but maybe something block carving. Might even save block ID's if you can replace stairs with carvable wood blocks, and who knows, maybe you won't need to destroy wooden slabs with a pickaxe anymore. :pseudo:

Okan170
Nov 14, 2007

Torpedoes away!

PalmTreeFun posted:

I'd really just like something a little more unique. Not only more creative/decorative options aside from just new blocks/textures, but maybe something block carving. Might even save block ID's if you can replace stairs with carvable wood blocks, and who knows, maybe you won't need to destroy wooden slabs with a pickaxe anymore. :pseudo:

This is important, Minecraft taught me the common sense that all slabs must be destroyed with a pickaxe. I'm only learning now that when I want to move my workbench around my garage, I don't need to obliterate it with a pick.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Jamesman posted:

Personally, I fail to see how that is a reason against using an established material to double as a currency, especially one as uncommon as gold. In fact, it's a good argument as to why we SHOULD have gold instead of a new material.

But I don't dislike having emeralds in the game, since we'll (presumably) now have a new hard block type to build stuff out of, which will be nice, and maybe they'll add in some new items that you'll craft using them in the future too.

Now they just need to add in about a dozen other gems, a half dozen other types of stone, and about 30 new decorative items, and things will really be shaping up nicely.

It's because everyone already has a ton of gold they don't have much use for, so everyone will instantly be rich if they used gold for trading. It's best that the currency is completely devoid of any other purpose and unobtainable in any way than via trading.

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
I haven't played Minecraft in quite some time, but now that I'm trying I'm getting the old "stuck at X%" error when trying to download an update. I completely removed the files and tried a fresh install (fresh EXE) and I'm still getting the stalling. Is anyone else having this issue? I tried last night and just now.

Update: Nevermind. I guess it was just AVG blocking it. I disabled it and the update went through. Not sure why now is any different than before when I had AVG running.

a helpful bear fucked around with this message at 00:28 on May 30, 2012

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

PalmTreeFun posted:

I'd love to see a chisel tool that you can use to change sandstone, cobblestone and stone bricks into their alternate versions. Add marble with alternate textures as well.

Hell, use marble for an artisan workbench or something that lets you style whole stacks of blocks at once, or use it to make pillars. Or statues! Build a statue and then cycle through the designs with a chisel.
I really need to learn how to mod.

yakkers
Jun 20, 2001

yiQ posted:

Hey I'm trying to get ModLoader and Mystcraft working in Minecraft (Client) but it's not working and I'm really confused.

I follow all the instructions, deleting META INF and putting the required files into minecraft.jar. Then I run the game and it looks normal, no indication that anything was changed, and none of the mod features work.

Does anyone know something I don't? Because the instructions are really straightforward and I don't know how I could be messing this up. Should there be any messages on the splash screen saying Modloader is working? I don't know if I got that far and maybe the problem is with Mystcraft.

If anyone can help I appreciate it! I'd really like to try some of the cool-looking mods available now.

In case anyone's had a similar experience, I finally figured this out:

Making copies for alternate Minecraft folders doesn't work, minecraft.jar is always accessed from the folder called ".minecraft", even if you run minecraft.exe from another location.

So now I'm making a library of folders for mods, each one containing a separate minecraft.jar that I swap in to the bin folder when I want to play it.

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010

yiQ posted:

Making copies for alternate Minecraft folders doesn't work, minecraft.jar is always accessed from the folder called ".minecraft", even if you run minecraft.exe from another location.

So now I'm making a library of folders for mods, each one containing a separate minecraft.jar that I swap in to the bin folder when I want to play it.

There are programs that already do that for you, and allow you to easily change between differently modded jars. I know of MultiMC, though I've never used it myself; and I remember a couple of goon made ones getting around a couple of months back (I think they don't exist anymore). You could also just use the Technic Launcher, which lets you change between a couple of pre made mod packs and autoinstalls them.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

yiQ posted:

There are very nice programs that, when launching Minecraft, launch it in a process that tells it that %APPDATA%/.minecraft is somewhere else entirely. They'll let you have a bunch of minecraft copies side-by-side and just pick the one you want from a menu. Check the modding thread OP because honestly I'm not sure of the URL right now.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Assuming that an 8 player team started with nothing, on a fresh map, how long do you guys think it would take for them to kill the Ender Dragon? I have a group of friends preparing a LAN party and I suggested that they consider playing a game of Minecraft, with the objective of killing the Ender Dragon.

How long should it take a coordinated group of 8 people to do this (on hard difficulty)?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Okan170 posted:

I'm only learning now that when I want to move my workbench around my garage, I don't need to obliterate it with a pick.

Do you mean there's another way to move it, or are you just referring to taking it apart with your hands?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

entris posted:

Assuming that an 8 player team started with nothing, on a fresh map, how long do you guys think it would take for them to kill the Ender Dragon? I have a group of friends preparing a LAN party and I suggested that they consider playing a game of Minecraft, with the objective of killing the Ender Dragon.

How long should it take a coordinated group of 8 people to do this (on hard difficulty)?

A lot of it will depend on how difficult to find/far away the stronghold is. It could be a matter of a few hours, or it could take several days. There's really no way to tell unless you use a pre-gen'd map with the stronghold in known coordinates.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

AlexDeGruven posted:

A lot of it will depend on how difficult to find/far away the stronghold is. It could be a matter of a few hours, or it could take several days. There's really no way to tell unless you use a pre-gen'd map with the stronghold in known coordinates.

Is it too difficult to use eyes of ender to locate it?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

entris posted:

Is it too difficult to use eyes of ender to locate it?

Ahh yeah. I totally forgot about those.

So either way, unless it's a ridiculous distance, then it shouldn't be too bad.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
If you keep track of your xz coords, you can really easily find the enderportal's with the slope intercept equation and two eyes of ender reasonably far apart. Finding netherfortresses for blaze rods might be trickier since the nether is so hazardous. Farming snowballs and arrows and stuff would probably be the most ridiculous part, and the dragon is a pain to fight with friends all in creative mode.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The fact that the best method of finding strongholds involves running equations is probably a good indication that eyes of ender are not sufficiently useful in their current form.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Vib Rib posted:

The fact that the best method of finding strongholds involves running equations is probably a good indication that eyes of ender are not sufficiently useful in their current form.

They're useful to people who don't do math. Hobo By Design's nerd-talk makes me confused and angry. :argh:

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Hobo By Design posted:

If you keep track of your xz coords, you can really easily find the enderportal's with the slope intercept equation and two eyes of ender reasonably far apart. Finding netherfortresses for blaze rods might be trickier since the nether is so hazardous. Farming snowballs and arrows and stuff would probably be the most ridiculous part, and the dragon is a pain to fight with friends all in creative mode.

Yeah we would probably use triangulation to locate the nearest stronghold. And this adventure would occur on an SMP server so no one would have creative mode.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

They're useful to people who don't do math. Hobo By Design's nerd-talk makes me confused and angry. :argh:
I mean I don't think that was really called for, but all I was saying is that you shouldn't have to pause minecraft and triangulate coordinates just to compensate for the imprecision and tedium of the ender eyes.

Foehammer
Nov 8, 2005

We are invincible.

Vib Rib posted:

I mean I don't think that was really called for, but all I was saying is that you shouldn't have to pause minecraft and triangulate coordinates just to compensate for the imprecision and tedium of the ender eyes.

So now we need an ender compass?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
Against my better judgment, I'm dealing with the frustration and playing Feed the Beast. I just tossed an Iron Chest into the hole, and it made the Zelda noise, but... no prize. Do you only get prizes for certain items? Basically I have no idea what should be happening at the monument. This whole process could be way loving clearer...

dipple
Oct 22, 2008

XboxPants posted:

Against my better judgment, I'm dealing with the frustration and playing Feed the Beast. I just tossed an Iron Chest into the hole, and it made the Zelda noise, but... no prize. Do you only get prizes for certain items? Basically I have no idea what should be happening at the monument. This whole process could be way loving clearer...

the prizes spawn outside in little cubbie holes, one of the blocks on the ground should have lit up to show where on the pyramid it opened.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Do you mean there's another way to move it, or are you just referring to taking it apart with your hands?

For some reason this post makes me want a hand truck in minecraft for moving things around without needing to break them. Would be handy for stocked chests and poo poo especially.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Vib Rib posted:

I've found all my strongholds just fine with only ender pearls. It's sometimes a little arduous but whatever, that's part of the challenge. It would be really disappointing if they were easy to find.

Just because someone devised some weird formula to find it easier doesn't mean the current method is bad.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
You can kill the dragon in less than an hour and a half, this guy has claimed the world record for it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQhNYHBD1t4

It's also pretty fun to watch, the guy is good and lucky.

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 30, 2012

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

entris posted:

Unless you get lucky and find a partially completed portal, you'll need to collect at least 14 ender pearls to reach the dragon. Endermen are the rarest mob in the game, and only have a 50% chance of dropping an ender pearl.

In all likelihood you will have found both the fortress and the nether fortress long before you collect enough pearls.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Just because someone devised some weird formula to find it easier doesn't mean the current method is bad.

I don't necessarily disagree, but slope-intercept is rudimentary math.

Schwarzwald fucked around with this message at 23:07 on May 30, 2012

waramp
Aug 20, 2004

HALO
TWENTY SIX

Foehammer posted:

So now we need an ender compass?

I really like this idea. A compass with 4 Ender Pearls around it? or maybe a single Compass + Ender Pearl + Blaze Rod to make an Ender Staff, and it would always point to the nearest portal, that would be great.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Wow, so do the servers at Mojang go down weekly now? They pulled in double digit millions in one week of an XBLA title and they can't keep session servers/login servers up? And they're still answering support tickets from March 24th? If this were Activision or EA there would be goddamned riots by now.

Dush
Jan 23, 2011

Mo' Money

GruntyThrst posted:

Wow, so do the servers at Mojang go down weekly now? They pulled in double digit millions in one week of an XBLA title and they can't keep session servers/login servers up? And they're still answering support tickets from March 24th? If this were Activision or EA there would be goddamned riots by now.

Nobody expects professionalism from Mojang. This is the company that's decided it's worth letting their game call South African players niggers from time to time as long as they can save a couple thousand bucks in translation fees.

entris
Oct 22, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Dush posted:

Nobody expects professionalism from Mojang. This is the company that's decided it's worth letting their game call South African players niggers from time to time as long as they can save a couple thousand bucks in translation fees.

Um, what?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

entris posted:

Um, what?

They translate the game to other languages with the help of an open database anyone can edit. They don't moderate that database on a regular basis, only when they receive complaints. Somebody edited in the the word friend of the family into the Afrikaans translation and since it's unmoderated, made it into a build of the game. This has happened multiple times.

They don't see a problem with this process because it saves them a slight amount of money.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

entris posted:

Um, what?

It's the same thing that pops up every month or so. Mojang let Minecraft be translated via crowdsourcing and, as a result, some words weren't translated quite right. Generally that involved a button being called "friend of the family" when it should have said something else.

Big fiasco from the community, Mojang goes, "oh how embarassing" and apparently continues to allow the internet to handle their translations. Then it happens again, where a naughty word pops up and Mojang pretends to blush or something. And still it allows the internet to do its translations.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
code:
[Ctrl] [F] "friend of the family"

Phrase not found
Good enough for Mojang!

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Schwarzwald posted:

code:
[Ctrl] [F] "friend of the family"

Phrase not found
Good enough for Mojang!

Apparently not though...

Captain Matchbox
Sep 22, 2008

BOP THE STOATS

GruntyThrst posted:

Error 37

Jewel
May 2, 2009

The thing about this is that Blizzard's servers are calculating positions for every enemy and player and item drop and exp and such, for every single player at once, which means it's doing a lot of data transferring, so that's understandable.

Mojang's servers only have to handle in logging in a single time per user per play session, which is an incredibly low amount. Not to mention they obviously have the money to get better servers.

Edit: vvv Well yeah, there was many ways they could have or should have done it, but with the current method they used, it's understandable why it went down.

Jewel fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 31, 2012

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I don't really think I'd call anything about Blizzard's faults in the system or its launch "understandable" but I suppose that's a subject for another thread. The point stands however that Mojang is really dropping the ball on this login thing. The fact that playing offline often seems to reset my achievements doesn't help either.

Incidentally, I wish they'd stop resetting. Because I'm obsessively drawn to complete them over and over.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
LeschNyhan, I do not like the mineshaft you found. :colbert:

I thought Mojang fixed this issue so many updates ago, with mineshafts being broken up and taken over by caves and not lining up properly and poo poo. This thing looks more like messed-up code rather than a properly-generated mineshaft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Jamesman posted:

LeschNyhan, I do not like the mineshaft you found. :colbert:

I thought Mojang fixed this issue so many updates ago, with mineshafts being broken up and taken over by caves and not lining up properly and poo poo. This thing looks more like messed-up code rather than a properly-generated mineshaft.

I haven't played minecraft in a long time, so this was actually my first mineshaft! I'm still cleaning it up slowly, and having a blast dealing with the different layers all bumping into each other, but I guess that has not been your experience so far. Sorry!