Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Zenzirouj posted:

The game. I had assumed he was a good guy from what's in TGT. Or is he just ~misunderstood~?

Not misunderstood, just retarded. In the game he was introduced in he was tricked by a Shadow re-color (yes, a re-color of a re-color) to go back in time from his post-apocalyptic future to the present to kill Sonic. Doing this would supposedly save his future. Then he finds out he's been tricked and suddenly he's good. Then Sonic and a talking poser model go back in time and stop the game from happening.

In Generations his reason for being a dick is that he's a boss battle. There's a few lines of text before you fight him that half-heartedly justify fighting him but it's more like "what are you doing here sonic? or are you a FAKE?" and then it's like "oh ok never mind, hey lets fight again that was fun" if you replay the boss.

Pretty much every Sonic game since 2006 has lacked a "DEEP" story so most of the explanations for stuff that happens after that game can be explained with "gameplay happens alot. get use to it."

Hitlersaurus Christ fucked around with this message at 04:09 on May 31, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Zenzirouj posted:

The game. I had assumed he was a good guy from what's in TGT. Or is he just ~misunderstood~?

Silver is very, very poorly defined. The developers of Sonic 2006 had envisioned him as the "future Trunks" to Sonic's Goku and Shadow's Vegeta but even then he's just really badly portrayed, and his backstory makes very little sense if you look into it. He's supposed to come off as being "eager and hopeful" in spite of coming from a BAD FUTURE but none of this really gets through--he's more or less a guy with psychic powers who moves through the plot.

He was supposed to be a big deal, but after Sonic 2006 flopped so hard and blew up in Sega's face completely they had no idea what to do with him after hyping up The Third Hedgehog so hard. Silver has since appeared in some side games, but Sega quite massively toned everything back starting with Sonic Unleashed and began making the Sonic world more consistent. The legions of friends are used far more sparingly (to the series' great benefit).

Silver more or less doesn't even serve a role in Generations though--he's just there as a rival boss and doesn't say anything more than "let's fight, Sonic!" as far as I recall. Indeed the boss fight is pretty cool, but there's really not much else to be said about Silver in Generations. Being a cool boss fight is about the only positive thing you can say about him as a character, and this is even considering that Generations was as much about trying to repurpose Sonic's friends into more useful/likeable positions as it was about being a massive return to form for the Sonic series. There was still just nothing they could really do for Silver.

ToastyPotato posted:

What is your avatar from? There are a few of these. Is it from a webcomic, or real comic? Or was someone just drawing these somewhere?

It's from the webcomic Boxer Hockey. http://boxerhockey.fireball20xl.com/example.php?id=031_sonic1.jpg There's four of 'em. Not really my bag, but the art's neat I guess.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 04:41 on May 31, 2012

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Nab him, jab him, tab him, grab him - stop that pigeon NOW!

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Not misunderstood, just retarded. In the game he was introduced in he was tricked by a Shadow re-color (yes, a re-color of a re-color) to go back in time from his post-apocalyptic future to the present to kill Sonic. Doing this would supposedly save his future. Then he finds out he's been tricked and suddenly he's good. Then Sonic and a talking poser model go back in time and stop the game from happening.

Makes me glad I never played any Sonic games besides the Genesis ones. Because seriously, what?! Why did they try to give Sonic games any kind of plot besides "Eggman makes robots and steals chaos emeralds, Sonic fights Eggman, gets all the rings, gets all the chaos emeralds, and destroys the robots. Also sometimes his fox buddy and echidna frenemy come along"? No telekinetic, brooding space hedgehogs from the past and the future need apply.

So, uh, props to lazerbot for making me even remotely interested in a bunch of terrible Sonic sequel characters. He did what Sega could not.

E: Since we have some Sonic-knowledgeable people in the thread... was Fang/Nack the Weasel ever used in newer Sonic games like Generations? He was a pretty okay villain in his first appearance (in Triple Trouble for Game Gear, hah) but it seems like Sega forgot he ever existed.

Strongylocentrotus fucked around with this message at 04:33 on May 31, 2012

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Strongylocentrotus posted:

Makes me glad I never played any Sonic games besides the Genesis ones. Because seriously, what?! Why did they try to give Sonic games any kind of plot besides "Eggman makes robots and steals chaos emeralds, Sonic fights Eggman, gets all the rings, gets all the chaos emeralds, and destroys the robots. Also sometimes his fox buddy and echidna frenemy come along"? No telekinetic, brooding space hedgehogs from the past and the future need apply.

Don't forget about Sonic falling in love with a human! :downs:

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

nerdbot posted:

Silver is very, very poorly defined. The developers of Sonic 2006 had envisioned him as the "future Trunks" to Sonic's Goku and Shadow's Vegeta but even then he's just really badly portrayed, and his backstory makes very little sense if you look into it. He's supposed to come off as being "eager and hopeful" in spite of coming from a BAD FUTURE but none of this really gets through--he's more or less a guy with psychic powers who moves through the plot.

The best part is that the design documents for Sonic '06 literally described him as "like Trunks."

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

E: Since we have some Sonic-knowledgeable people in the thread... was Fang/Nack the Weasel ever used in newer Sonic games like Generations? He was a pretty okay villain in his first appearance (in Triple Trouble for Game Gear, hah) but it seems like Sega forgot he ever existed.

He got a wanted poster. That's about it.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

These avatars paid for Lowtax new boat.

Unfortunately, Nack hasn't appeared since Sonic the Fighters. He had a wanted poster in Generations...but no real appearance.

I really don't know why they've dropped him, but brought back basically everyone else except Mighty and Ray. Nack was awesome, and I firmly believe he's one of the best Sonic characters.

I always thought he was like Sonic's version of Wario. Purely motivated by greed, a true neutral, and doesn't give a poo poo about anything but himself, not good or evil sides.

On a TGT note, I personally thought it would've been hilarious if the guy that sniped Porky's wife and kid was Nack.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Aristobulus posted:

I really don't know why they've dropped him, but brought back basically everyone else except Mighty and Ray. Nack was awesome, and I firmly believe he's one of the best Sonic characters.

Agreed. And Triple Trouble has been severely underrated as one of the classic Sonic games. It may have been exclusive to the clunkiest, most awkward handheld console known to man, but gameplay-wise it was on par with the Genesis games. I played the hell out of it when I was a kid.

Aristobulus posted:

I always thought he was like Sonic's version of Wario. Purely motivated by greed, a true neutral, and doesn't give a poo poo about anything but himself, not good or evil sides.

On a TGT note, I personally thought it would've been hilarious if the guy that sniped Porky's wife and kid was Nack.

That would have been an absolute masterstroke out of fuckin' nowhere. Of course I'm not disappointed with what we got in the latest pages; just, having Nack snipe Porky's wife and kid would have been the cherry on top of the sundae. Especially because lazerbot has a knack (badum-shh) for bringing in obscure characters when you least expect it.

Emong
May 31, 2011

perpair to be annihilated

Aristobulus posted:

Probably just to keep the Robotnik as the single villain, I'd guess. Mighty was never brought back because he has nothing to differentiate him from Sonic (he's even based on a rejected design for Sonic), and Ray probably just morphed into Tails.

Dresh
Jun 15, 2008

hrmph.

nerdbot posted:

Silver stuff

Also worth noting, that the Silver in '06 literally doesn't even exist anymore since his future (and the whole game really) got erased from existence. Since then, he appears in almost all the spinoffs, and frequently in merchandising, but the current Silver has had almost no development beyond being from a now undefined future. So basically we're left with an almost completely malleable character with some admittedly cool powers, it's little wonder Lazerbot was able to make him actually likable.

Also Fang's awesome and I was always surprised he didn't get a revamp around the same time Shadow's game came out. I've heard excuses for his exclusions ranging from his use of a (pop)gun to the fact that his tooth made him resemble a vampire.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

I have been reading the Sonic wiki for a full hour now and it is funny as hell. This owns:

quote:

This level is part of the original stage from Sonic Adventure 2, featured in the Dreamcast era. Fang, Bean, and Bark all make cameo appearances on Wanted posters in this level, while Mighty the Armadillo and Ray the Flying Squirrel appear on posters that say "Missing Since 1993".

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

The Sonic Wiki (at least, the Wikia one) is hilariously bad, I love it. Go look up the page for Waluigi where they suggest that Waluigi and Eggman are best friends. (That bit you quoted is, of course, true, I'm just mentioning that.)

If I were to honestly guess, the overlap in Nack and Rouge's characters has probably allowed Nack to linger in the wayside. Nack obviously owns but given that Sega's only finally beginning to break out of the "Too Many Useless Characters" rut and start making the friends seem worthwhile, trying to go "here's ANOTHER thief who steals emeralds and poo poo!" might have seemed a bit difficult to pull off.

Oh also, just because I didn't see this get posted:

Lazerbot posted:

this chapter might take longer then expected i wont give any details but no worries im still working on it, it might take alittle longer is all

So we're in for another round of chilling our pills, but s'all good. :chillpill:

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Hey everyone, I know I'm not the wonderful JazzFlight, but I still like doing parody rewrites of other songs for this comic.

And seeing my mic isn't a completely worthless POS now, I'm even going to do the vocals for it! I can't write music, only sing, don't judge me :(

Anyway, I present:

quote:

Vida La Porky
sing it with: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvgZkm1xWPE
Porky:

I was a simple Christian man
Oblivious until this all began
Now once again I'm all alone
Death has called in my loan

One moment of weakness
has brought my life so much duress
Wish I'd never gone out with them
From that last night all my problems have stemmed

Now locked in a pointless war
Against my God to whom faith I swore
Watched burst my wife and child's heads
Shot by the one who was my closest friend

Wil E.:

We're the neutrals, gods of emotion
Everywhere we go we raise commotion
I tell you all this so as to save Fudd
So many people are out for our blood

So much has happened I can't explain
Porky was a sad lost cause
With Troll King we must fend
Or to the world he'll bring untimely end

Porky:

I left with them drunk and in a bra
We came to the house of god
Drank with them the blood of christ poo poo
How it seems the world shows it's wit

Responsible action I will take
Only one means to justice's thirst slake
Done in by my own hand,
My last action was my own principled stand.

Wil E.:

Fudd cannot be used by the Troll King
Universal rules he'll bend
And to the world bring untimely end

Fudd cannot be used by the Troll King
Universal rules he'll bend
And to the world bring untimely end

StealthArcher fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 31, 2012

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Aristobulus posted:

It's kind of weird how he became a relatively important supporting villain in the various Sonic comic books considering that he only appeared in that one game.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

Metal Loaf posted:

It's kind of weird how he became a relatively important supporting villain in the various Sonic comic books considering that he only appeared in that one game.

He's been in three, really. Triple Trouble, Drift 2, and Sonic the Fighters. Not like anyone ever played the latter two until Sonic Gems collection came out though.

But the comics use him because he's just a good character and has potential.

Is he really a relatively important supporting villain in the comics? At least, the Archie comics...hasn't he only had a small handful of appearances, and the last one was ages ago when he escapes from Sonic and friends' prison?

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm mainly familiar with the British comic (Sonic the Comic) because it was my favourite comic when I was younger. In that one, Nack was a member of the Chaotix Crew who turned evil.

(:spergin:)

Forti
May 5, 2009

1039 new posts... what wonders await me? :allears:

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Aristobulus posted:

He's been in three, really. Triple Trouble, Drift 2, and Sonic the Fighters. Not like anyone ever played the latter two until Sonic Gems collection came out though.

Hey. Hey. Some of us had Game Gears. Yeah, I had Drift 2 when it first came out, what about it. :colbert:

nerdbot posted:

Go look up the page for Waluigi where they suggest that Waluigi and Eggman are best friends.

Lazerbot, please make this happen.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

ToastyPotato posted:

What is your avatar from? There are a few of these. Is it from a webcomic, or real comic? Or was someone just drawing these somewhere?

Literally the only could part of the well-drawn but unfunny comic Boxer Hockey.

e: DON'T LEAVE YOUR WINDOW OPEN, STUPID :smith:

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

So, uh, props to lazerbot for making me even remotely interested in a bunch of terrible Sonic sequel characters. He did what Sega could not.

To be honest the latest big console Sonic games have actually been pretty good. There hasn't really been a heavily story-based one since the game Silver was in (well, there was a DS RPG by Bioware but let's not talk about that) and most likely never will be after the backlash.

If you haven't played Sonic Generations, do it. It's pretty cheap on Steam right now too IIRC. Sonic Colors for Wii is pretty good too.

As for Fang/Nack, there's a pretty interesting explanation of his situation here.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

To be honest the latest big console Sonic games have actually been pretty good. There hasn't really been a heavily story-based one since the game Silver was in (well, there was a DS RPG by Bioware but let's not talk about that) and most likely never will be after the backlash.

If you haven't played Sonic Generations, do it. It's pretty cheap on Steam right now too IIRC. Sonic Colors for Wii is pretty good too.

It's interesting. Ever since 2k6, the Sonic games have completely stopped taking themselves seriously, which is a good thing. The story cutscenes in Colors are actually amazing, especially due to Eggman who has the best dialogue in the game.

His PA announcements are also absolutely golden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvS7ewAkwEA

quote:

As for Fang/Nack, there's a pretty interesting explanation of his situation here.
Wow I've never seen that article. It still seems like a lot of theory and guesswork, though. I find it funny they bring up as a reason Nack hasn't come back - is Rouge. As if that's really an issue, and also as if people even like Rouge.

Most people hate her. They could just flat out replace her with Nack and very few people would care. Personally, I don't see a good reason you can't have both existing, if they don't want to just replace her with Nack.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Aristobulus posted:

Wow I've never seen that article. It still seems like a lot of theory and guesswork, though. I find it funny they bring up as a reason Nack hasn't come back - is Rouge. As if that's really an issue, and also as if people even like Rouge.

Most people hate her. They could just flat out replace her with Nack and very few people would care. Personally, I don't see a good reason you can't have both existing, if they don't want to just replace her with Nack.

While I'd love to see Nack back, I can see a bunch of reasons why they're keeping Rouge around, none of which are particularly great.

1. Lack of female characters - Rouge is the only girl anyone ever got to play as, although there probably was one in The Riders or whatever. Sonic's other girls are Amy, who is best as a joke character, and Cream, who I'm still not sure why she's even around. e: Holy poo poo I forgot Blaze okay nevermind

2. Interaction - Give Knuckles someone to talk to back when they thought they needed to do this. Silly idea that hinges on one really awkward note that they both kinda like each other, but nobody ever cares about this.

3. People wank to her and will closet-campaign to prevent her being removed. Come to think of it this is also probably why Cream's still around.

Lamprey Cannon
Jul 23, 2011

by exmarx
You know, I'm not a huge fan of E.E. Cummings, but Lazerbot's line breaks, his placement of words, speak to me in ways I'd have never imagined.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

I may give it a try. While I don't game much anymore, I can't say no to a mindless oldschool-style game. I've heard enough good things about Generations here and elsewhere to be tempted.

Also, interesting article. Gonna guess that it's not so much an issue of character ownership/copyright as it is of finding a role for Fang. I'm all for them getting rid of Furry McBatTits and replacing her with Fang, but Sega's probably worried that their horrible fanbase would throw a fit if they nixed her. People like us would welcome the change, but on the other hand, there's the Sonic fandom...

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Rouge isn't even inherently a bad character. "Flirty thief who loves jewels to an obsessive degree" fits in perfectly fine with Sonic. If they just toned down the boobs and exaggerated her love of shiny things she'd be great. Nack could fit even with the minor overlap--he's a character more interested in profit. He could fit as sort of a bounty hunter Eggman hires out from time to time.

I'd love to see them make Shadow a really hammy try-hard to fit him into the more lighthearted angle they're going with the Sonic series now, too.

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
The best thing on the Sonic wiki:

sonic.wikia.com/wiki/Chili_dog posted:

In the Sonic the Hedgehog (Play-a-Sound Book), the plot is that Sonic is racing Robotnik in a scavenger hunt to win 6,000,000 Mobiums, which he says he will donate to charity. In the end, he wins the money and spends it on Chili Dogs instead.

On the subject of Rouge, a goon called StevenM made a couple redesigns of Rouge a while ago and they're hella rad.

I'm kinda mad that these aren't the actual designs, since they're leaps and bounds better. They actually make her look like a master thief, for one.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Pigbuster posted:

On the subject of Rouge, a goon called StevenM made a couple redesigns of Rouge a while ago and they're hella rad.

I'm kinda mad that these aren't the actual designs, since they're leaps and bounds better. They actually make her look like a master thief, for one.

I kinda like the center one ("2"). The tuff of hair gives her a feminine look without resorting to huge rear end tittays and the cape or cloak spells out "thief" better.

Strongylocentrotus
Jan 24, 2007

Pigbuster posted:

Sega needs to hire this dude because those designs are more true to the original Sonic look and feel than any of the new ones.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Pigbuster posted:

Holy poo poo, I had that book as a kid! I completely forgot that was the plot, but it's all coming back to me now. I guess I never noticed how much of a dick Sonic was back then.

Aristobulus
Mar 20, 2007

Slap omni-gel on
everything.

Pigbuster posted:

I like the first one the best mostly because I don't like the tuft of hair and I really like those style of wings.

Honestly, if they brought Nack back, I think they could do something interesting with a rivalry between him and Rouge. Makes more sense than a Knuckles/Rouge rivalry, anyway. Or maybe they even work together, who knows.

But yeah, those designs are good, especially for making her look like a thief. The cloak really sells it, but then you give up showing off her wings...

bbf2
Nov 22, 2007

"The White Shadow"

Also, interesting article. Gonna guess that it's not so much an issue of character ownership/copyright as it is of finding a role for Fang. .

It's definitely not an issue of ownership/copyright since his name and picture showed up on a "Wanted" poster in Generations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I like the designs, but not giving her a scalloped cape is kind of baffling. There's no shame in channeling a little Batman when your character is actually a bat.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Those redesigns are pretty great. The wings-scarf equivalence in the first one is a good idea.

nerdbot posted:

I'd love to see them make Shadow a really hammy try-hard to fit him into the more lighthearted angle they're going with the Sonic series now, too.

If I had to salvage the character I'd just make him a straight man who takes whatever he's doing seriously, unlike everyone else. I think Silver might be irredeemable though.

It's fascinating watching a franchise try to recover from a decade of terrible decisions and actually do pretty well.

I'm so glad I forgot completely about this character when I got a Playstation.

ZuljinRaynor
Apr 25, 2010

NERD LICENSE IMMUNITY
It's just been revoked!

Peel posted:

I think Silver might be irredeemable though.

TGT proved that he is redeemable. :colbert:

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Pigbuster posted:

These are indeed really cool, I particularly like the hair tufts. The white suit on #2 looks weird to me though.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Aristobulus posted:

Honestly, if they brought Nack back, I think they could do something interesting with a rivalry between him and Rouge. Makes more sense than a Knuckles/Rouge rivalry, anyway. Or maybe they even work together, who knows

I wouldn't mind a game that exclusively starred him and Rouge, with the Sonic characters being background or cameo roles. Not speed based either, but a game centered around being a thief or the two of them performing a heist. Rogue's stages could be more stealth based and Nack's could be a mix of stealth and a shoot em up. It's dumb they gave Shadow a gun in his game considering Nack actually DOES use a gun and it would have been a better fit.

Really I'd just like a Nack game because he's an awesome character that only gets any real screentime in the Archie comics.

As far as that Rouge redesign, I'd like a mix of the first one and the last one. I like her design in the last one except for her cape. She kind of stops being a bat once you change her wings to a cape.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Nack for TGT!

If I remember right Rouge was always kind of a neat character anyway, because in Sonic Adventure Two she was pretty much one of the most on-the-ball, poo poo together characters in the game. She also sort of defaulted to bad guy leader in Sonic Heroes too. gently caress me, I own those games.

Midboss posted:

As much as the internet is still stuck on calling Sonic a bad series, Unleashed was okay if (big 'if') you could stand the Werehog stages, and Generations is just great in general. It's also the first worthwhile game to feature Silver in any capacity, the others being Sonic 2006 and those Sonic Rivals games for PSP and probably one of those Olympic games or something.

EDIT: Somehow forgot to mention Colors. Yes, it's good too, better than Unleashed.

I am not one to believe that Sonic is INCAPABLE of being good, but man, Generations was about 50% enjoyable and 50% infuriating. Funnily enough, the "classic" stages were the worst. Platforming with slow, awkward jumping... Launchpads that you need to hit dead on or get launched into death... The horrible lack of acceleration after coming to a standstill. Hitting a floating block, but not being able to stop in time o avoid falling off... Just the worst.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 1, 2012

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

These are indeed really cool, I particularly like the hair tufts. The white suit on #2 looks weird to me though.

She's naked :pervert:

Pug Rodeo
Feb 20, 2007

BRING IT ON BRING IT ON YEAH

That Ponygiotis Vavetsikas guy is really making GBS threads up Lazerbot's Facebook page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

Then Sonic and a talking poser model go back in time and stop the game from happening.

If only. :haw: