Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Bob Morales posted:

I think I've had more Hitachi drives poo poo the bed than anything else but I dunno.

FWIW, at my company we've probably bought and put online over five hundred Hitachi hard drives in the last year. I can't remember the last time one failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Just ordered 8 GB of RAM for my 2010 13" MBP, up from 4 GB. Hope the improvement is as good as people say it should be. This laptop is slow as sin right after a reboot or just when I start up Mail + Spotify + Safari + Skype at the same time (which I do quite often since I usually close them all except for Safari when I want to play any games (even though Safari is the real memory hog here)).

Is it true that upgrading RAM with the 320M video card also means that the RAM 'on the 320M' will also increase? Saw it in a comment on Amazon that his VRAM increased since it's shared or whatever.

I also didn't realize SSDs were so cheap now, and by cheap I guess I mean that it's past the $1 per GB mark. I'd buy one too but I'd rather just wait until the newer MBPs come out and then maybe they'll be even cheaper then :allears:.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 10:26 on May 31, 2012

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Mu Zeta posted:

Dell showed their new 27" iMac copy and it looks ok. Ivy bridge, Blu Ray, etc. Hopefully Apple will hurry the gently caress up.

It's really nice; the build quality is superb. Plus, it's the only real competition for the 27-inch iMac since it's actually got the same 1440p LCD...the HP Omni 27 and the planned Lenovo, as well as all e ASUS ones, I believe, stick to 1080p panels to keep costs down.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Just ordered 8 GB of RAM for my 2010 13" MBP, up from 4 GB. Hope the improvement is as good as people say it should be. This laptop is slow as sin right after a reboot or just when I start up Mail + Spotify + Safari + Skype at the same time (which I do quite often since I usually close them all except for Safari when I want to play any games (even though Safari is the real memory hog here)).

Is it true that upgrading RAM with the 320M video card also means that the RAM 'on the 320M' will also increase? Saw it in a comment on Amazon that his VRAM increased since it's shared or whatever.

I also didn't realize SSDs were so cheap now, and by cheap I guess I mean that it's past the $1 per GB mark. I'd buy one too but I'd rather just wait until the newer MBPs come out and then maybe they'll be even cheaper then :allears:.

You should have gotten an SSD. People talking about how 8GB made their Macbook faster don't know what they're talking about.

First step is replacing that dog-slow 320GB 5400rpm drive with an SSD.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Bob Morales posted:

You should have gotten an SSD. People talking about how 8GB made their Macbook faster don't know what they're talking about.

yeah, RAM's rarely the bottleneck for day to day tasks, especially at 4GB for what you're doing. For routine stuff my 4GB of RAM Air is faster than my 16GB iMac and it's all because of the SSD (processor is also obviously faster in the iMac, as well).

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Bob Morales posted:

Truth. What's more, you don't need a super expensive drive to reap the benefits since even current low end models will offer nigh zero access times in comparison with traditional hard drives.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
I've been looking at getting a refurbished 13.3" Macbook Air for my office, but I'm torn on whether to just get one now or wait for the refresh. I hear rumblings that they may be coming out with an Ivy Bridge/Retina MBA, but that it won't be announced at WWDC. I can get a 1.7ghz dual core i5 with 4gb memory and 128 GB.

It would be for work so it would just be for Word Processing/Browsing/Dicking around in court.

Thoughts? Go ahead and get it? Wait?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Do it! New computers are fun! You won't regret it!

(that air already has an amazing screen)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Do I need to reinstall Lion on the SSD or can I clone my current hard drive over? Not sure if there would be alignment issues and what not.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do I need to reinstall Lion on the SSD or can I clone my current hard drive over? Not sure if there would be alignment issues and what not.
Yep, no problem doing that. Just clone your partition using one of carbon copy cloner or super duper, pointing it at the new drive as the target, and making it bootable.

O.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Stunt Rock posted:

I've been looking at getting a refurbished 13.3" Macbook Air for my office, but I'm torn on whether to just get one now or wait for the refresh. I hear rumblings that they may be coming out with an Ivy Bridge/Retina MBA, but that it won't be announced at WWDC. I can get a 1.7ghz dual core i5 with 4gb memory and 128 GB.

It would be for work so it would just be for Word Processing/Browsing/Dicking around in court.

Thoughts? Go ahead and get it? Wait?

New 13" Air will be $1299

You can buy a refurb of the current one for $999 now.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
Can Wifi interfere with bluetooth? I had internet sharing turned on temporarily so I could tether my iPhone to my mid-2009 Macbook Pro and download some podcasts to it. While the downloads were going, my magic trackpad was super sluggish. I started wondering if the Wifi transfer was causing the bluetooth to lag...

Anyone ever had something like that happen?

I should note that as soon as my transfers stopped my magic trackpad went back to normal.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

echobucket posted:

Can Wifi interfere with bluetooth? I had internet sharing turned on temporarily so I could tether my iPhone to my mid-2009 Macbook Pro and download some podcasts to it. While the downloads were going, my magic trackpad was super sluggish. I started wondering if the Wifi transfer was causing the bluetooth to lag...

I should note that as soon as my transfers stopped my magic trackpad went back to normal.

2.4ghz is something of a free for all, it's possible. Modern Bluetooth adapters are supposed to detect interference and try different frequencies to mitigate, but that's not always possible.

x-virge
May 25, 2003

echobucket posted:

Yes, this can happen if the Bluetooth device doesn't rotate around the specific channel when interference happens. Turning the trackpad off and then back on can force it to find a different channel immediately.

You can also use 5 GHz for WiFi, which tends to have less active interference just because it's less used. But it doesn't penetrate walls as well as 2.4 GHz does.

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

x-virge posted:

Yes, this can happen if the Bluetooth device doesn't rotate around the specific channel when interference happens. Turning the trackpad off and then back on can force it to find a different channel immediately.

You can also use 5 GHz for WiFi, which tends to have less active interference just because it's less used. But it doesn't penetrate walls as well as 2.4 GHz does.

Is there a way to use 5Ghz with Internet Sharing?

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.

mediaphage posted:

It's really nice; the build quality is superb. Plus, it's the only real competition for the 27-inch iMac since it's actually got the same 1440p LCD...the HP Omni 27 and the planned Lenovo, as well as all e ASUS ones, I believe, stick to 1080p panels to keep costs down.

HP also makes this, which is 2560x1440.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

penneydude posted:

HP also makes this, which is 2560x1440.

Yes, sorry! I neglected to mention the Z1 since it is really not consumer-focused.

Really awesome, though, just the same; I played with it a while back. It has this awesome gas-piston that keeps the screen raised so that you can work on it - all the internals can be pulled out. Cool, but pricey. The Dell at least is starting at $1399.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

Yes, sorry! I neglected to mention the Z1 since it is really not consumer-focused.

Really awesome, though, just the same; I played with it a while back. It has this awesome gas-piston that keeps the screen raised so that you can work on it - all the internals can be pulled out. Cool, but pricey. The Dell at least is starting at $1399.

Are 27" iMacs "consumer focused" in the way you're talking about?

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004
I needed to use my 27" iMac for a monitor in target display mode for my MBP today and I've been looking at one of those twelve south book arc stands. However, while looking around the house, I found this thing:

It's one of those metal mesh vertical desk organizer things, and the middle section is just the right size to hold the MBP up.

I can't remember where I got the thing, I think Wal-Mart originally, maybe it was $5 or so. Much less expensive than the $39 book arc.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

you finna scratch up yo raptop dog

echobucket
Aug 19, 2004

Bob Morales posted:

you finna scratch up yo raptop dog

Nah, the thing is coated in some really thick black rubber like paint. It seems okay.

Thom ZombieForm
Oct 29, 2010

I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
I will eat you alive
Is there any standard for selling a mac and getting the most you can? For instance, should I be adding a percentage of the applecare price, that percentage depending on how much time is left on the warranty? And can I add iWork to the deal, or is it linked to my applied?

Lastly, if anyone was wondering, apple agreed to replace my cracked screen because the rest of the computer was in great shape.

penneydude
Dec 31, 2005

MS-DURP gives you the only complete set of software tools for 17-bit systems.

fleshweasel posted:

Are 27" iMacs "consumer focused" in the way you're talking about?

"Consumer focused" in this context means using consumer components, like off-the-shelf Core i5's and AMD Radeon graphics cards, not Xeons and NVidia Quadro GPUs.

So, yes, the iMac is more of a consumer box. Professional workstations are targeted at CAD/3D modeling/video editing types of people, who need super powerful CPUs and GPUs and loads of RAM. You could use one as a desktop at home, it's just more expensive and probably overkill for most people.

Argali
Jun 24, 2004

I will be there to receive the new mind
My 2007 iMac is most likely dead...I'll know more Monday after I take it in to the Apple Store and then, potentially, an Apple repair joint. Depending on how bad the situation is, or how much it will cost to repair the drat thing, I may have to pony up for a new machine.

I don't necessarily need my personal computer to be portable. That said, what are the general pros and cons of MacBook Pro vs. iMac? I'm not really a "power user" in that I don't do much processor-taxing poo poo with my Macs...I used to record a lot of music but that was years ago. I do have a huge iTunes collection - 277 GB of music - and running that off an external drive may have been a big contributing factor to my current iMac's "grey screen of death" status.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Argali posted:

I don't necessarily need my personal computer to be portable. That said, what are the general pros and cons of MacBook Pro vs. iMac?

The MacBook Pro is portable. The iMac is not. You should wait for mid-June when the new MacBooks and I think new iMacs are supposed to come out. They're supposedly getting high-resolution screen options which _might_ mitigate a big deficiency with MacBook Pro laptops.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So any tips for cleaning an aluminum Mac Keyboard? Soda got spilled all over it, and I can't figure out how to remove the keys without breaking them to give it a good cleaning.

shrughes
Oct 11, 2008

(call/cc call/cc)

Astro7x posted:

So any tips for cleaning an aluminum Mac Keyboard? Soda got spilled all over it, and I can't figure out how to remove the keys without breaking them to give it a good cleaning.

Apple keyboards are $49 or $69. Are you sure you don't just wan to buy a new one? The last time I tried cleaning a laptop keyboard after a soda spill, it was tedious enough and the end result had its quality compromised enough that now I'd just buy a new keyboard at those prices.

You can do it with a toothpick. There are videos on YouTube such as this one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCpf5xqiK4I

I bet you end up breaking one of the scissor switches, though.

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

Astro7x posted:

Just don't use a hairdryer to dry it out.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

wooger posted:

Yep, no problem doing that. Just clone your partition using one of carbon copy cloner or super duper, pointing it at the new drive as the target, and making it bootable.

O.

It's that easy, really? I seriously thought there would be all sorts of issues just cloning the hard drive over but ok. How would I "point it at the new drive" though, since I can only install one or the other? I don't have an extra external 2.5" inclosure or anything, unless SSDs come with some kind of USB adaptor which I don't see listed on the Amazon page. I guess I could put it into the optical bay but I don't have the mount/converter for that and don't want to shell out $99 for it.

Speaking of my optical bay, my superdrive is broken or out of alignment because it's incapable of reading any CDs. Doesn't bother me enough to pay money to buy a new Superdrive because I can't remember the last time I needed it. Since it's plugged in and still recognized, I'm assuming it's still drawing power from the battery. Is it safe for me to just unplug and remove it from my MBP?

If you guys can answer my question about the HDD->SSD cloning then I might just pull the trigger and buy the 128GB Crucial M4 today. WIll have to rethink about how I value space since I'm using a 500GB HDD right now (with 250GB partitioned for Windows), but on the OS X side I'm only using ~80GB.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Boris Galerkin posted:

It's that easy, really? I seriously thought there would be all sorts of issues just cloning the hard drive over but ok. How would I "point it at the new drive" though, since I can only install one or the other? I don't have an extra external 2.5" inclosure or anything, unless SSDs come with some kind of USB adaptor which I don't see listed on the Amazon page. I guess I could put it into the optical bay but I don't have the mount/converter for that and don't want to shell out $99 for it.

Speaking of my optical bay, my superdrive is broken or out of alignment because it's incapable of reading any CDs. Doesn't bother me enough to pay money to buy a new Superdrive because I can't remember the last time I needed it. Since it's plugged in and still recognized, I'm assuming it's still drawing power from the battery. Is it safe for me to just unplug and remove it from my MBP?

If you guys can answer my question about the HDD->SSD cloning then I might just pull the trigger and buy the 128GB Crucial M4 today. WIll have to rethink about how I value space since I'm using a 500GB HDD right now (with 250GB partitioned for Windows), but on the OS X side I'm only using ~80GB.
Yes, you need an external USB caddy for your 2.5inch SSD in order to do the clone I mentioned. Some SSDs come with one (the Samsung 830) for example if you buy the right pack. Or you can probably get one for $10-20 on amazon.

You can remove your optical drive if you want, but it's pretty stressful opening up the case if you're not actually going to replace it with anything, I wouldn't recommend it for fun. The optical -> HDD adapters don't cost $99 btw, you can get them far far cheaper from eBay, so definitely go with that. It's really a no brainier if your optical is already broken.

This is probably what you need: http://www.ebay.com/itm/SATA-HDD-Op...#ht_3354wt_1174

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

shrughes posted:

Apple keyboards are $49 or $69. Are you sure you don't just wan to buy a new one? The last time I tried cleaning a laptop keyboard after a soda spill, it was tedious enough and the end result had its quality compromised enough that now I'd just buy a new keyboard at those prices.

Yeah, I might end up just buying a new one. But I'm cheap, and if I can fix it I will. But looking at all these videos I can't figure out how to snap off the keys like an old keyboard.

I miss the days when you could just put the entire keyboard in the dishwasher...

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Transferring a 7GB file from a USB2 external HD to a very late model Powermac G4 should be pretty painless right? Nope. gently caress you USB 1.1 and whoever thought it would be a good idea to not have USB 2 on the late model G4s.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
My iMac (27" Late '09 i7) has been acting... weird lately. It seems to be really sluggish doing random things like opening up system prefs, loading webpages, generating previews in Lightroom etc. etc. I'm seeing the pinwheel a whole lot more than I ever have before. It also feels like the hard drive is being accessed *constantly* even when it's just sitting idle.

I was running Lion and decided to do a clean sweep and drop back down to Snow Leopard. I found that right off the bat something is still wrong. While it was playing the little Apple "Welcome" movie I noticed the video was stuttering (paused about 5 times during playback, audio was fine). Hard drive is still chugging away.

Are there any hardware tests I can run to figure out if it needs to go in for service?

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Astro7x posted:

Turn off the power, dump some distilled water and slosh that poo poo around. Do not use any sort of solvent or it'll dissolve tiny plastic components!

Or just buy another keyboard.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Legdiian posted:

My iMac (27" Late '09 i7) has been acting... weird lately. It seems to be really sluggish doing random things like opening up system prefs, loading webpages, generating previews in Lightroom etc. etc. I'm seeing the pinwheel a whole lot more than I ever have before. It also feels like the hard drive is being accessed *constantly* even when it's just sitting idle.

I was running Lion and decided to do a clean sweep and drop back down to Snow Leopard. I found that right off the bat something is still wrong. While it was playing the little Apple "Welcome" movie I noticed the video was stuttering (paused about 5 times during playback, audio was fine). Hard drive is still chugging away.

Are there any hardware tests I can run to figure out if it needs to go in for service?
Wild guess is that the drive is slowly dying, like the constant accessing could be the drive trying over and over to read a bad block or something.

I think Apple Hardware Test is built in these days:
http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1509
Try holding D on startup, otherwise it might be on one of the original discs if you have them.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004
Ran the AHT and it came up clean (ran both the 3 min and 45 min test).

Here is one of the most boring videos ever posted on youtube :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV706KD8W8A

This is right after a boot. I let it sit for a few min until the drive accessing sound stopped. Just opening up the activity monitor made it start chugging away again. Crank up the sound you should be able to hear the drive.

So looks like my drive is on it's way out?

Rashomon
Jun 21, 2006

This machine kills fascists

shrughes posted:

Are the keyboards in Macbook Pros easy to replace? My wife accidentally spilled something on her computer a long time ago and it still works fine but the keyboard is a little sticky sometimes.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Legdiian posted:

Ran the AHT and it came up clean (ran both the 3 min and 45 min test).

Here is one of the most boring videos ever posted on youtube :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YV706KD8W8A

This is right after a boot. I let it sit for a few min until the drive accessing sound stopped. Just opening up the activity monitor made it start chugging away again. Crank up the sound you should be able to hear the drive.

So looks like my drive is on it's way out?

http://www.volitans-software.com/smart_utility.php
Check it with that. Probably though.

Legdiian
Jul 14, 2004

Well... I guess that's that then. Thank you for the link.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

The 721 reallocated sectors means the data in those sectors was successfully moved to the spare sector area and should be fine..

If that count goes up on the next scan I'd be backing up that drive before doing anything else on that Mac..