Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Butterflies fluttering on my face!

I think I know how Roo broke his spur. I checked him today after I got home, and was watching him through the upstairs window while doing homework. Roo gets really horny in the afternoon and literally chases the hens round, running full speed and trying to catch them. The thing is, the hens are small, more agile, and Roo is clumsy as gently caress. I decided to lock him our of the coop an hour or so before dusk so he doesn't hurt the hens or himself again.

My cock is a dumb dick :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inveigle
Jan 19, 2004

Chido posted:

Roo gets really horny in the afternoon and literally chases the hens round, running full speed and trying to catch them. The thing is, the hens are small, more agile, and Roo is clumsy as gently caress. I decided to lock him our of the coop an hour or so before dusk so he doesn't hurt the hens or himself again.

Roo needs some chicken salt peter.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Chido posted:

Now you know how the other half lives! :downsrim:

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Removed Roo's bandage today. The leg looks good, the place where the spur used to be look ok, not infected or bleeding or swollen. I gotta work today so I don't have time to give the princess his pedicure, but I'll do it when I come back, and I'll put a new bandage on his foot. His bumblefoot also looked better, so Roo will be wearing "socks" until the scabs fall off. I'l post pictures later tonight

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

I’m really bummed out today. I had to cancel my order. I served my tenant eviction papers due to him never paying me on time, being a hoarder, and all together insufferable person. (some of) his stuff is where I want to build the coop, and it looks like I need to go to the court to have him physically removed. His last day he can legally be on the property is May 31st, and he hasn’t even begun to start moving. The speed that the wheels of justice move, there is no way I will be ready for my June 18th delivery date.

WrathofKhan
Jun 4, 2011
Yay! I'm so glad that he's doing good.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Zeta Taskforce posted:

I’m really bummed out today. I had to cancel my order. I served my tenant eviction papers due to him never paying me on time, being a hoarder, and all together insufferable person. (some of) his stuff is where I want to build the coop, and it looks like I need to go to the court to have him physically removed. His last day he can legally be on the property is May 31st, and he hasn’t even begun to start moving. The speed that the wheels of justice move, there is no way I will be ready for my June 18th delivery date.

nooo D:. Are you sure you couldn't keep your chicks? You'd still have to keep them in a brooder/inside your house for 8-9 weeks before being moved to a coop, so you'd have until August to move them outside :(.

You should come to California and give Roo a hug, that'd make your day!

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Chido posted:

nooo D:. Are you sure you couldn't keep your chicks? You'd still have to keep them in a brooder/inside your house for 8-9 weeks before being moved to a coop, so you'd have until August to move them outside :(.

You should come to California and give Roo a hug, that'd make your day!

I'd love that. I'm glad he's feeling better and I so wish I could hug him!

I'm sure about it though. There is a big push to legalize them in Boston, but until then they are of questionable legality. I'm not going to give someone who I am dragging to court ammo to blackmail me with.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Awwww, than makes sense though. I hope things get resolved quickly so you can get your chickens this year.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Once the scab is more intact, you might want to switch from waterproof tape, to Athletic Tape. It breathes, but keeps the area clean. It's also more flexible and strong. With a bit of gauze with neosporin protecting the nasty areas, it should be much harder for him to peck off, since it frays rather then tears. It's also known as Athletic Trainer's tape, and should be easily found at any decent sized sport supply store, or possibly drug store. It is a bit specialized, but it's pretty cheap. Usually under 2 bucks a roll. It's also wider, and easily cut to size with that Xacto knife you now have.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Well the tape package said that waterproof tape is breathable, but I'll get the other one as soon as I can find it.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

Update on Roo's feet. I showed this to the people in chickam chat, and they say his feet are looking better.

His usual soak.

The Princess' feet after being scrubbed clean.

Dumb Roo, stop hurting your foot, you already got bumblefoot plus ripped claw now you broke off your spur. All in the same foot, you dumb cock :argh:

Chido fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 27, 2012

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

Chido posted:

Update on Roo's feet. I showed this to the people in chickam chat, and they say his feet are looking better.

The Princess' feet after being scrubbed clean.

Dumb Roo, stop hurting your foot, you already got bumblefoot plus ripped claw now you broke off your spur. All in the same foot, you dumb cock :argh:

It's looking so much better. Your hard work has definitely paid off.

Everett False
Sep 28, 2006

Mopsy, I'm starting to question your medical credentials.

I'm glad Roo is looking better! He is the thread mascot. :3:

Inveigle posted:

What breed of chicken is this? He's really pretty! Thanks for posting your chicken photos! I love seeing what kind of chickens people own!

Ever since you asked I have been trying to find this out, but I am having no luck at all! I think he must be some kind of Wyandotte mutt? Those are the only ones where I'm really seeing those crazy feathers... :psyduck: If anyone has more insight into LaBoeuf's heritage I'd be glad to hear it, my google skills have failed me.

One of these days I need to get a picture of Pogo when she's all puffed up to try and attack a car. :v: We have to be drat careful not to run her over, this is apparently a problem she's had since she was a keet. Chasing cars is for dogs you silly bird!

piscesbobbie
Apr 5, 2012

Friend to all creatures great and small
I will ask my same question here. What is the difference, size and taste, between eggs from Bantam hens and the regular heritage breed size hens?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

KentuckyFriedBonBon posted:

One of these days I need to get a picture of Pogo when she's all puffed up to try and attack a car. :v: We have to be drat careful not to run her over, this is apparently a problem she's had since she was a keet. Chasing cars is for dogs you silly bird!

Ok, I need to see that NOW. Can you also record Pogo chasing a car? :3:

Pfefferbao
Jun 1, 2011

piscesbobbie posted:

I will ask my same question here. What is the difference, size and taste, between eggs from Bantam hens and the regular heritage breed size hens?

Bantam are mini versions of their respective larger sized breed, so their eggs are smaller. I'm pretty sure the taste is dependent on what they eat and not their species. The difference between chicken eggs are basically size and color. A chicken egg's a chicken egg.

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

:3: SCALE ITCH :3:

Bah...
One of the roosters, Moe, has not been acting right today and it's worrying the life out of me. He's normally the most dominant rooster, bossing Larry, Curly, and Shemp around and crowing incessantly early in the morning. I went out to feed them, and he just didn't get up. I went to pick him up, afraid he'd hurt a leg or something, and he got up to bumble around and peck at the scratch feed pretty lethargically with his tail down and kind of wobbling on his feet unsteadily. Curly, the giant dick that he is, then proceeded to peck the ever living poo poo out of Moe and shove him around as soon as I was on the other side of the fence. Moe just kind of flopped over and lay down in the shade.
I went back and picked Moe up again to check him over. He didn't even try to walk away from me this time and only made a token sound of protest. He hates being picked up at all, so this was just insanely unusual. I could find no injuries. Eyes were clear and normal, vent normal, no visible injury or defect, no sign of diarrhea or discolored poop in the yard, and he'd eat or drink if I gave him the food myself.

I'm checking on him every other hour or so... But I'm not sure what else I can really do for him.

So, uh, in short... listless, lethargic, wobbly rooster who formerly spent his time kicking rear end and wishing I'd let him bang babes all day.

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

How old is Moe? And can you isolate him in a crate inside your house or something so he doesn't get stressed out by the other roosters? :(

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

Moe's about a year old.
I've isolated him from the other roos with a gate. It had started to rain some a half hour ago, and he kind of perked a bit at that and was poking around a little... Still with a droopy tail and a bit wobbly, though.

Edit: Just went and checked him. The bastard hopped the gate to be back with his bros. I offered him a bit of clover and he gobbled it down like it was going out of style then pecked me. Jerk.

tokomon fucked around with this message at 18:35 on May 28, 2012

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

tokomon posted:

Moe's about a year old.
I've isolated him from the other roos with a gate. It had started to rain some a half hour ago, and he kind of perked a bit at that and was poking around a little... Still with a droopy tail and a bit wobbly, though.

Edit: Just went and checked him. The bastard hopped the gate to be back with his bros. I offered him a bit of clover and he gobbled it down like it was going out of style then pecked me. Jerk.

Keep an eye on him, just in case. He might be acting better since he's the head roo and the other ones are "having all the fun without him."

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

Chido posted:

Keep an eye on him, just in case. He might be acting better since he's the head roo and the other ones are "having all the fun without him."

True enough. He's acting puny again. I'm going to put him in a cat carrier and bring him inside to keep a closer eye on him for the night. I don't know if I can swing that tomorrow, though, since unbeknownst to me there will apparently be someone coming over either tomorrow or Wednesday... And I also have to leave town for a couple of days to handle a family emergency. :/

Hours later edit:
He's inside in a pet carrier with a dish of water in a dark room with the vent blocked to keep it a little warmer in there. When I went to get him he'd flopped along the fence with his beak propped towards the hen house and just kind of made a soft, almost broody hen sound at me when I picked him up. The other roosters seem fine... I just don't know. His crop still has food in it and isn't as full as it was four hours ago, and I've seen him poop, so it seems his digestive system is still functioning.
My mom's accusing me of letting him get waterlogged and that being what's wrong with him, which is utter BS. She was also adamantly opposed to me bringing him inside. What she doesn't know about there being a sad chicken in the house won't hurt her.

tokomon fucked around with this message at 02:18 on May 29, 2012

Tim Jong-un
Aug 22, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Sounds like he might have lost a fight and gotten overly exhausted. Just keep him in a dark area and keep checking on him,how hot is it where you are? Sometimes when a bird gets overly hot/dehydrated they act the way you describe.

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

Tim the Enchanter posted:

Sounds like he might have lost a fight and gotten overly exhausted. Just keep him in a dark area and keep checking on him,how hot is it where you are? Sometimes when a bird gets overly hot/dehydrated they act the way you describe.

It was in the 80s and I'd given him water.
He died early this morning. I'd checked on him at 3am and then again at 6am. At 6am he was dead and had apparently slipped away in his sleep. He'd drank some of the water I put down for him, his crop was empty, I just don't know.
I'm keeping a close eye on the other three roosters that remain. :/
I'm down a Stooge.

Zeta Taskforce
Jun 27, 2002

Sorry about your loss. It sounds like you did everything you could. I know you had too many roosters, but it is still sad to lose one like that.

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

I still have too many roosters... But after I divided out the yard the boys chilled out and I kinda enforced myself as being head roo. Aside from Moe occasionally pecking me for shits and giggles, everything had become kind of nice to be honest. The Stooges would follow me around their part of the yard and eat any crickets or bugs that hopped up in my wake, they'd crow incessantly whenever I came home after being gone for a day, and it was kind of funny how the hens would occasionally go over to the fence and chill out near the exiled boys. Shemp always tries to call them over. Heh.
I'm watching everyone else worriedly.
I'm paranoid that the neighbor, who was bitching about fire ants, maybe put some poison out that somehow got behind the fence and Moe ate it... Or maybe I fed them wrong. Maybe not enough? The roosters have a good range of lush stuff and I toss them a couple handfuls of scratch feed when I feed the hens.
In the end, I might just have to suck it up and accept that maybe there's nothing I did wrong or did right and that it just ... happened. I still feel horribly guilty, though.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Ah sorry to hear about Moe. :smith:

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

That's similar to what happened to my Roo. :(

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

*MOD NOTE: DO NOT GIVE TREATMENT RECOMMENDATIONS, ESPECIALLY IF YOU AREN'T A VET. CALL YOUR VET AND HAVE THEM CHECK YOUR FLOCK.

Poor Moe. :( Gonna toss out a few thoughts...

Sudden death in otherwise healthy birds is one of the symptoms of Fowl Cholera, which is a bacteria-based illnesses. It is endemic and lives in the soil. I've found that younger birds are more susceptible to it than older birds are (despite what some sources say). Two years ago I lost several youngsters to it.

Cyanosis is another symptom, any blue-purple discoloration in Moe's wattles or comb before he died? That was the only real symptom my birds displayed. :(

Link with more info: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/61/fowl-cholera-pasteurellosis

Another possibility is Coccidiosis, a protozoan-based disease which is also treatable with Amprollium products such as Corid. Cocci normally has a symptom of bloody poops, but there is a new strain that does NOT show the characteristic bloody poo and you have to go by other symptoms, which can be pretty non-specific. Older birds can be more resistant to it than younger birds.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/200800.htm

These next two I doubt are it but I'm going to include them just in case...
Next possibility is Botulism, also known as Limber Neck or Crook Neck,which is bacterial. Limberneck can be caused by a head injury (which causes swelling of the brain and is treatable) or by moldy feed (fungus). His loss of balance is a symptom, but you didn't mention it getting really bad, which is characteristic of Limberneck, so I don't think this is it. But still, check your feed for signs or smells of mold or a musty smell, look especially for a reddish mold. Check their coop as well for any moldy spilled, old feed (some may have collected under the feeder and gotten wet). If you've had wet or rainy weather it can be a problem, especially if it was followed by warm days--perfect for growing mold. If your feed is bad, throw it out and get new.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/205400.htm

Lastly, Aspergillosis could be the cause. His loss of balance might be a symptom, but you didn't mention the characteristic gasping/wheezing so I'm putting this one last on the list.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/7/aspergillosis

Just some possibilities for you to check out, watch your other birds like a hawk for ANY symptoms.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 01:04 on May 31, 2012

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

Poor Moe. :( Gonna toss out a few thoughts...

Chicken ailments

The funny thing is, cholera was my first assumption but he lacked any of the other symptoms. His wattles were fine and his comb's always been a dark red and a bit darker near the tips. I didn't notice any change in coloration, though, beyond one or two fresh scabs from the other roosters being assholes. The poop in the pet carrier (washing it out tonight) is completely normal roo poo.
Coccidiosis didn't occur to me at all because his "outbound mail" (I'm tired of typing "poop") looked normal and his appetite was excellent.

I sat outside with them most of the day and watched them for a while and everyone else seems to be fine (aside from one of ameraucana girls deciding to be broody and try and cover some eggs laid by the orpington hens ... you can't even cover five of those eggs, you silly bird! They're poking out all over the place!) but I've tossed all the old feed, refreshed it, and gave everyone some leftover frittata as a treat.
I'm going to check at the feed store tomorrow and see if they have any sulmet. Failing that I'll poke one of the people down the way that has a flock.

WrathofKhan
Jun 4, 2011
If you still have the body, you might find out if the Ag extension in your state will do a necropsy. Sometimes, they will even do it for free, or for the cost of shipping the remains.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
For your chicken-based levity today, I submit to you "Little child chased by terrifying velociraptors chickens"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEyk63UaBI4

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

For your chicken-based levity today, I submit to you "Little child chased by terrifying velociraptors chickens"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEyk63UaBI4

Awww poor kid he's gonna hate chickens for the rest of his life. Those adults were such assholes :mad:

... I still giggled like a little girl, I'm going to hell, aren't I? :(

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

You'll have company there, Chido.
I've watched it three times and giggled like a maniac.

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

piscesbobbie posted:

I have both bantams and standard chickens. They both eat the same feed however the bantam eggs taste a bit richer/sweeter than the regulars. This could be because there is less egg white but I don't know that for sure.

meriruka
Apr 13, 2007

Velvet Sparrow posted:

*MOD NOTE: DO NOT GIVE TREATMENT RECOMMENDATIONS, ESPECIALLY IF YOU AREN'T A VET. CALL YOUR VET AND HAVE THEM CHECK YOUR FLOCK.

I read this and was curious - how many of you chicken owners have a vet that will treat chickens? I have been unable to find one here in VA despite the fact that I live in farm country. It doesn't help that the attitude around here is that chickens are disposable. I've had to do a lot of research and stock up on meds so I could at least try to save a sick chicken.

Lawson
Apr 21, 2006

You're right, I agree.
Total Clam
Between Chickens for Dummies, the Backyard Chicken forums, what the store lady told me, and the advice from the guy we got our chickens from, I'm confused about feeding.

We have Barred Rocks, and Rhode Island Reds, which I understand are multi-purpose breeds. For the time being we just want eggs from them though. Right now they're six weeks old. They get to spend time on grass all day, and they're locked up over night. They also have a feeder full of Tractor Supply-rebranded Layena crumble, which has ~16% protein and Ca formulated for layers.

Now some sources say that they would need higher protein and lower Ca for their age. At the same time I get the impression that they're already growing super fast (although I have no way of weighing them) and I'm worried that's not healthy either. Our goal is not really to maximize production, just to keep them healthy and happy. Should we feed some kind of "finishing feed" instead of the layer ration? Would it help/harm/make no difference?

Chido
Dec 7, 2003

I think giving them layer feed might cause some problems from the extra Ca the chicks don't need yet. I know there is a grower or developer feed for chicks up to 12 weeks of age, so I'd use that just to be safe.

Edit:

meriruka posted:

I read this and was curious - how many of you chicken owners have a vet that will treat chickens? I have been unable to find one here in VA despite the fact that I live in farm country. It doesn't help that the attitude around here is that chickens are disposable. I've had to do a lot of research and stock up on meds so I could at least try to save a sick chicken.

I only found one vet in Pasadena that would see my chickens when Rusty had tongue infection last year. None of the local vets would see chickens, despite claiming to be avian vets. I don't see how a chicken is not a bird, but I guess they aren't as exotic :(. I know we aren't supposed to give any medical advice here, but with pets like chickens, sometimes learning about these meds is necessary. Also, they sell them in most feed store and even online since these illnesses are very common, so they are more like common remedies than specialized vet advise.

Chido fucked around with this message at 15:21 on May 31, 2012

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

Chido posted:

I know we aren't supposed to give any medical advice here, but with pets like chickens, sometimes learning about these meds is necessary. Also, they sell them in most feed store and even online since these illnesses are very common, so they are more like common remedies than specialized vet advise.

So very true.
As far as I've discovered most people who aren't keeping chickens commercially seem to be in a bit of a pickle as far as vets are concerned. I've checked around here before and, although there's someone who will check out a flock, it's for commercial flocks only and prohibitively expensive. Goats, horses, sheep, or cows? You're totally covered. Ducks, chickens, or turkeys? Good luck, bro.
I'm pretty sure it's why most chicken people tend to simply do a lot of reading, research, and knowledge base sharing.
I hate that chickens are viewed as disposable and not worth any real level of professional concern unless you're planning to eat them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Chido posted:

I only found one vet in Pasadena that would see my chickens when Rusty had tongue infection last year. None of the local vets would see chickens, despite claiming to be avian vets. I don't see how a chicken is not a bird, but I guess they aren't as exotic :(. I know we aren't supposed to give any medical advice here, but with pets like chickens, sometimes learning about these meds is necessary. Also, they sell them in most feed store and even online since these illnesses are very common, so they are more like common remedies than specialized vet advise.

IMO an antibiotic is not a 'common remedy' - it is a drug that if misused, can cause a whole hell of a lot of damage both in the short term and the long term. I hate that people can buy Pen G and poo poo in feed stores, to be honest.

Also again in my opinion, if you have a problem in your flock, and these are production animals, the best course of action if you can't reach a vet who will see chickens is to cull and send to a path lab or something. Maybe that's an unpopular opinion, but flock/herd health problems are not really something that people should be diagnosing from the internet and treating themselves, especially with antibiotics.