Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Diablo style dungeon crawlers seem to work perfect fine on consoles. There's no advantage between clicking to move your character and just moving them yourself. To deal with hotkeys you just make it so holding R1 and L1 changes what the the face buttons do and you make L2 and R2 health and mana potions. The only thing that really gets slowed down is managing the menus, which you don't tend to need to do quickly anyways. Honestly I prefer these types of games on cosoles. It feels liek you have more control of your character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Clicking to move is a tedious chore, which is why using analog sticks and the like are nice. I wish Action RPGs on PC let you use WASD to move around.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I didn't get a ton of time with Max Anarchy last night, but having slept on it, I wanted to chime in a bit.

First and foremost, the demo is fun. Whether it's fun enough (or deep enough) to be worth a purchase (or better yet, an import) is beyond my capacity to determine based solely on the demo. But it *is* fun.

It reminds me of if Platinum Games took their wacky gameplay ideas, married it with powerstone, and wrapped it in a very japanese/sega-y engine. There is a little of that very artificial movement/animation that so many of these japanese games have. It's not bad. It just doesn't feel very organic at times.

It's chaotic as gently caress. Sometimes you don't know what's going on. But it sill is pretty badass.

If you are by your lonesome and 2 players find you, you're pretty much hosed unless they suck. I was doing very well 1-on-1 but it's hard to survive a gang-up.

More Americans need to download this demo and play.

From the campaign demo, I cannot for the life of me figure out what the structure of the game is going to be.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

It's you. The Move Owner. Software has completely abandoned you. You're left with your orb wands that glow different colors with nothing to play. What's that on the horizon? A new game? Something to help you justify that awful purchase you made or gift you never wanted?

Could it be.. could it be?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/05/31/sports-champions-2-picks-up-playstation-move-this-fall/

Goddamn it.

I actually loved Sports Champions.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Harlock posted:

It's you. The Move Owner. Software has completely abandoned you. You're left with your orb wands that glow different colors with nothing to play. What's that on the horizon? A new game? Something to help you justify that awful purchase you made or gift you never wanted?

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/05/31/sports-champions-2-picks-up-playstation-move-this-fall/

Goddamn it.

What a loving letdown the move was. I'm glad I sold mine before things dried up like an octogenarian vagina.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Feenix posted:

What a loving letdown the move was. I'm glad I sold mine before things dried up like an octogenarian vagina.

Many shooters have adopted it as a secondary controller, though, and they work great. It's almost cheating in online games, but thankfully the public perception is that the controller is useless, therefore people won't complain or cry 'HACKS!' when you headshot them from across the map with a recoil-free laser-pointer of doom.

Still better than Kinect, which for all it's popularity has a total of one genuinely interesting game using it so far - the new Steel Battalion.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dominic White posted:

Many shooters have adopted it as a secondary controller, though, and they work great. It's almost cheating in online games, but thankfully the public perception is that the controller is useless, therefore people won't complain or cry 'HACKS!' when you headshot them from across the map with a recoil-free laser-pointer of doom.

Still better than Kinect, which for all it's popularity has a total of one genuinely interesting game using it so far - the new Steel Battalion.

Dance Central. :colbert:

(I wish The Move had a game 1/10th as fun as that. :smith:)

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Dominic White posted:

Yeah but Mouse and Keyboards work in some games, too. But as a peripheral that costs money and takes up space, they bring NOTHING new to the table.
I know some games are adding support for the Move, but as a THING, the Move doesn't really have a reason for existing outside of a few demo/proof of concept style games.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

I think a lot of the problem with the uptake on the Move was how Sony marketed it. They tried to push it as a direct alternative to Kinect, which is basically a controller for dance/exercise games and the occasional doofy party game. The Move is a far more utilitarian piece of hardware. It's like a tougher, more focused version of the Wii remote, and is really better suited to hardcore gaming.

That's really how they should have marketed it. The party and family games are a fringe benefit, but better control of RPG menus, FPS aiming and strategic pointing and clicking would have been a much stronger selling point. Doubly so now, as Microsoft are trying hard to rebrand the Xbox as a 'multimedia entertainment center' rather than a games console.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Just played the Anarchy Reigns demo. I'm officially sold on it. What a fun multiplayer.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Why do you folks keep calling it that. Is it named something different depending on region?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Feenix posted:

Why do you folks keep calling it that. Is it named something different depending on region?

Anarchy Reigns is what the game is supposed to be called in NA, provided it ever gets released here.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/160808835709?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

If you want to get the game a little cheaper than 100 dollars from a Japanese site.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

axleblaze posted:

Diablo style dungeon crawlers seem to work perfect fine on consoles. There's no advantage between clicking to move your character and just moving them yourself. To deal with hotkeys you just make it so holding R1 and L1 changes what the the face buttons do and you make L2 and R2 health and mana potions. The only thing that really gets slowed down is managing the menus, which you don't tend to need to do quickly anyways. Honestly I prefer these types of games on cosoles. It feels liek you have more control of your character.

This just simply will not work for Diablo 2 or 3. Sometimes you wish to place a spell somewhere on the battlefield where your character is not standing. You need a mouse cursor to do that. if all you were playing is a Barbarian that only hit things standing in front of the character it may be fine. But what if you wanted to use his leap skill to a certain location on the screen? A slight inconveinence if that is on some unweildly auto lockon maybe. But then for Wizards and Witch Doctors most skills work like that but instead you want more control to place it where you need a cursor to choose somewhere other than in front of you or at a nearby enemy. To place a marker for a meteor where you think enemies will be when it eventually lands, or to summon a wall somewhere you want enemies not to get past.

A Diablo game made for a mouse would have to be seriously rebuilt and rebalanced for consoles. Champions of Norrath was fine because it was made with a controller in mind.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Neon Knight posted:

This just simply will not work for Diablo 2 or 3. Sometimes you wish to place a spell somewhere on the battlefield where your character is not standing. You need a mouse cursor to do that. if all you were playing is a Barbarian that only hit things standing in front of the character it may be fine. But what if you wanted to use his leap skill to a certain location on the screen? A slight inconveinence if that is on some unweildly auto lockon maybe. But then for Wizards and Witch Doctors most skills work like that but instead you want more control to place it where you need a cursor to choose somewhere other than in front of you or at a nearby enemy. To place a marker for a meteor where you think enemies will be when it eventually lands, or to summon a wall somewhere you want enemies not to get past.

A Diablo game made for a mouse would have to be seriously rebuilt and rebalanced for consoles. Champions of Norrath was fine because it was made with a controller in mind.

Is there a reason the console port couldn't use a mouse and keyboard? I've used both wireless and wired keyboards and mice on my PS3, and they all seemed to work fine but I never tried to play a game with them.

If they could design a console port to use keyboard and mouse, they could even release a $90 bundle with custom skinned peripherals and soak us console bastards good. I'd probably buy it.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

titties posted:

Is there a reason the console port couldn't use a mouse and keyboard? I've used both wireless and wired keyboards and mice on my PS3, and they all seemed to work fine but I never tried to play a game with them.

If they could design a console port to use keyboard and mouse, they could even release a $90 bundle with custom skinned peripherals and soak us console bastards good. I'd probably buy it.
For me the only reason I play games on a console is to get AWAY from mouse/keyboard, I just hate them for games (and increasingly I don't have to, as so many PC games support the 360 pad natively).

Those Blizzard guys are smart, they could find an acceptable way around the problem above if they put their mind to it.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Samurai Sanders posted:

For me the only reason I play games on a console is to get AWAY from mouse/keyboard, I just hate them for games (and increasingly I don't have to, as so many PC games support the 360 pad natively).

Those Blizzard guys are smart, they could find an acceptable way around the problem above if they put their mind to it.

I prefer controllers too. But when it comes to Diablo III, I'd much rather use a keyboard and mouse than have to buy a new computer to run it.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Neon Knight posted:

Couldn't you just use the second stick to guide a target to where you want the spell to hit? Diablo I worked fine on the PS1 and that was before the dual shock. Darkstone was a PC Diablo knockoff and it worked fine on PS1. There was also the Dreamcast Record of Lodoss War game which, while a Dreamcast exclusive, was much closer to Diablo II in scope and structure than any of the console Baldur's Gate games. It's definitely not an impossibility.

Though as someone mentioned earlier, on PS3 at least it could just come with mouse/keyboard support anyway.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 19:10 on May 31, 2012

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Neo Rasa posted:

Couldn't you just use the second stick to guide a target to where you want the spell to hit? Diablo I worked fine on the PS1 and that was before the dual shock. Darkstone was a PC Diablo knockoff and it worked fine on PS1. There was also the Dreamcast Record of Lodoss War game which, while a Dreamcast exclusive, was much closer to Diablo II in scope and structure than any of the console Baldur's Gate games. It's definitely not an impossibility.

Though as someone mentioned earlier, on PS3 at least it could just come with mouse/keyboard support anyway.

The thing with Diablo is that aiming towards the enemy is troublesome because enemies come in big giant hoards and there are situations you really want to target a SPECIFIC enemy, not just "an enemy in that direction." Targeting Crappy Mook when Arcane Molten rear end in a top hat is wrecking your face is recipe for annoyance.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
I tried to play some Anarchy Reigns online, but every lobby I was matched into was full of single-bar ping players, and I didn't have the patience at the time to wait for my own lobby to fill up :OI

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I wouldn't mind playing D3 on a console with mouse and keyboard, my laptop's integrated graphics card can't even run it apparently

lol internet.
Sep 4, 2007
the internet makes you stupid
Any ETA or guess on PS4 release year?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Holiday 2013 earliest. Possibly later.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

Samurai Sanders posted:

The Move :shepface:

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Feenix posted:

Holiday 2013 earliest. Possibly later.

Anytime 2013 is highly doubtful. PS4 (and Xbox 720) are not being shown at this years E3 and a console has pretty much never come out the year that it was revealed. Maybe they'll break tradition but, as I said, it's highly doubtful.

At least it'll give Nintendo a year or so where they're console isn't completely overpowered by the other two.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 31, 2012

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Yeah sorry, I should have been better spoken about it.

NOT BEFORE Holiday 2013, and most likely, later.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

Harlock posted:

Goddamn it.

Don't forget about BioShock Infinite! That's pretty much the only reason I still have one.

Edit: Hmmm, if the tennis is good, I just might have to pick it up.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Well.. uh..

quote:

The Game Genie died, but now it's back. It's actually been back since earlier in the year for DS, through a company called Hyperkin. Next week at E3, the same people are showing off a Game Genie for PS3.

The Game Genie: Save Editor for PS3 comes in a USB flash drive that contains an installation program that allows users to transfer save files between the PS3 and the PC. Players can use the PC program in the USB drive in order to write cheats onto their save files. Players can then transfer the edited save files from their PC back onto their PS3 to enjoy a powered-up game file. The Game Genie PC program works through a continuously updated server that adds the newest codes for the newest games.
I wonder how well this is going to go down.

Jon Irenicus
Apr 23, 2008

YO ASSHOLE

I really enjoy RPGs, and I've been looking at the Disgaea series for my next purchases. Would it be recommended starting at the first game and tracking a copy down (since my PS3 is backwards compatible) or can I jump straight into the current generation ones?

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Jon Irenicus posted:

I really enjoy RPGs, and I've been looking at the Disgaea series for my next purchases. Would it be recommended starting at the first game and tracking a copy down (since my PS3 is backwards compatible) or can I jump straight into the current generation ones?

The Disgaea series has a lot of in jokes and character cameos, but each game's stories are self contained and focus on new protagonists. I'm not sure how 1 and 2 hold up, but 3 and 4 have a lot nicer presentation and is still fun if you like doing billions of damage (literally).

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Harlock posted:

Well.. uh..

I wonder how well this is going to go down.

Save editing has been possible on the PS3 since launch. It only really affects singleplayer and non-gameplay multiplayer stuff. Stuff like levels, unlocks etc. in multiplayer isn't stored client side if the developer is the least bit competent.

One of the more recent Call of Duty games could be save edited to make your name appear in different colors and add symbols to it in multiplayer, but you couldn't touch progress related stuff.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Tamagod Sushi posted:

The Disgaea series has a lot of in jokes and character cameos, but each game's stories are self contained and focus on new protagonists. I'm not sure how 1 and 2 hold up, but 3 and 4 have a lot nicer presentation and is still fun if you like doing billions of damage (literally).

4 also has the nice touch of not looking like it was for the PS1.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

Aphrodite posted:

Save editing has been possible on the PS3 since launch. It only really affects singleplayer and non-gameplay multiplayer stuff. Stuff like levels, unlocks etc. in multiplayer isn't stored client side if the developer is the least bit competent.

One of the more recent Call of Duty games could be save edited to make your name appear in different colors and add symbols to it in multiplayer, but you couldn't touch progress related stuff.

At first glance a modern Game Genie seems kinda silly, but it might turn out to be legitimately useful for editing RPG save games. I'm specifically thinking of Skyrim, and how it would be useful if there was a way to edit a save to get yourself out of a jam (be it caused by bug or sheer incompetence). If it provided a streamlined way to do this without having to find a different fan-made utility for each game it could be really handy.

IkeTurner fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jun 1, 2012

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Dual analog is so superior for dungeon crawlers. About to Getty on my flight to Cali for E3... other than Dishonored, what should I look out for? I'm totally or of the loop.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Fuzz posted:

Dual analog is so superior for dungeon crawlers. About to Getty on my flight to Cali for E3... other than Dishonored, what should I look out for? I'm totally or of the loop.

Planetside 2. Sony is going to have a booth there. Cover it or die.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Any goons out there still playing uncharted 2? I will get 3 eventually but there are still lots of people on UC2 online and the levels are fun as hell.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
I'm about to start on UC2, been playing a lot of Max Payne 3.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
Feel free to add me man, psn tag is mentholsnbeer

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Harlock posted:

Goddamn it.

They are so full of poo poo. Deadmund's Quest had multiplayer, and with progression and stuff. It's totally possible, and they should have prioritized that over everything else before adding new features. For shame, Zindagi...

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Is the Store exceptionally slow for anyone else today? 6 hours for less than a gigabyte is excruciatingly bad even for PSN.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcaeris
Mar 15, 2006
you feed the girls to other girls

:stare:

Jon Irenicus posted:

I like tactical RPGs like this, but I could not get into Disgaea. I'd skip the first one for sure and jump to the others.

Did they ever improve the tutorials and all that so they weren't totally worthless?

• Locked thread