Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
Exactly why I think that a break would be good for Gene. If he really can't control himself on the road and his body is breaking down then it's best for him to just do his own thing for a while. I really don't think this is the last of Ween either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:qq: This made me really sad. Poor boognish :(

HORATIO HORNBLOWER
Sep 21, 2002

no ambition,
no talent,
no chance
This was a long time coming. "La Cucaracha" was a massive disappointment and anyone who said otherwise was deluding themselves. It's been five years and nothing, not a hint of new music. Meanwhile the band's been putting on shows, playing the same tired tunes over and over.

I went to see them for the last time on the Cucaracha tour in Tucson. It was the same night that the city does a Day of the Dead parade down Congress Street and, well, sad to say but the parade was a lot more entertaining than Ween was that night. I tried to tell myself I'd just outgrown Ween, but I think the truth is Ween outgrew itself.

I just saw a comment on the Ween forum I think about suns it up: "It is pretty hard to fathom that a grown man would want to shun a persona created in his early teens." No kidding. I'm in the process of trying to get on board with a federal contractor and it's a little tough to swallow that my unsavory activities of six or seven years ago could stand in my way. I don't get high and listen to Ween records anymore--I've got a family to think about--so why should I or anyone else expect Freeman to get high and write and perform them?

To those of you who are new to Ween--sorry. The shows I saw back in the day were some truly great times. Wish I could have seen Pavement back in their heyday, but alas.

Thanks for the music and the memories.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
The good thing is is that they have hundreds of tapes worth of stuff that anyone has to hear yet. Even if they are truly done, it doesn't mean that we will not here any new ween.

Surfingelectrode
Jan 17, 2006

Yeah, I know it's a drag...
but wastin' pigs is still radical.
Aaron just posted this on his Facebook page:

"In order to more fully explore and pursue my solo career, I've decided to end my musical relationship with Ween. I want to personally thank each and every fan for all their love and support through the years."

So I guess that's it. Bummer.

I was going to see them for the first time last year, but they wound up canceling the show and never came back.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
gently caress. This makes me very sad. Ween will always be one of my favorite bands of all time. There's just nobody else like them. I'm really glad I got to see them live last year. It was a terrific show.

Whodat Smith-Jones
Apr 16, 2007

My name is Buck, and I'm here to fuck
I just feel bad for Mickey. It's not like he doesn't have anything else to do since he goes fishing every day, but he told me last month that he thought they were gonna start trying to do 2 or 3 night stands in different cities and avoid festivals, etc. Seems like he was letting Aaron do his own thing for a while but still wanted to go back to touring with Ween soon.

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.
drat. I've been a Ween fan for more than half of my life. I just realized that. They are the Marx Brothers of rock. I once read a review that said something like "...despite an apparent mastery of all genres of the musical spectrum, Ween refuses to play is straight." I always think of that when I think about them.

I'm feelin' brown, mang.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Harminoff posted:

The good thing is is that they have hundreds of tapes worth of stuff that anyone has to hear yet. Even if they are truly done, it doesn't mean that we will not here any new ween.

I wouldn't count on "Shinola, Vol.2" anytime soon. I think one of them (maybe Deaner) ranted at length about how unpleasant putting the first volume together was.

I support Gener (a.k.a Aaron Freeman) in whatever he does but there's something unsavory about the way this all came about. I remember how shocked I was at the recent Toronto 'meltdown' since I thought Gene was under control. It really felt like Mickey really wanted a long break and Aaron, for his health, needed one.

Mithra6
Jan 24, 2006

Elvis is dead, Sinatra is dead, and me I feel also not so good.

CannedMacabre posted:

drat. I've been a Ween fan for more than half of my life. I just realized that. They are the Marx Brothers of rock. I once read a review that said something like "...despite an apparent mastery of all genres of the musical spectrum, Ween refuses to play is straight." I always think of that when I think about them.

I read one critic who described their music as "why not" rock.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽

JAMOOOL posted:

I support Gener (a.k.a Aaron Freeman) in whatever he does

Even this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99mnw34ij3Y&t=4m25s

Rolodex Propaganda
Oct 4, 2003

Fall in love with spines
^^^ I dunno, maybe it's just me but I think he was being facetious.

Let's hope Gener gets on the right track with his sobriety and solo ventures. Maybe Deaner will put out a new Moistboyz record or something. That guy can loving rock with the best of them.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here's hoping he makes Josh Holmes do another Desert Sessions.

e; Also this part in that same video was really depressing :qq: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99mnw34ij3Y&t=217s

Empress Brosephine fucked around with this message at 23:34 on May 31, 2012

Disco Prince
Apr 29, 2012

push the button
The vancouver meltdown was the brownest loving thing I've ever seen.

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
So now I suppose the award for the longest standing genre switching humorous alternative rock duo goes to:

Ikari Worrier
Jul 23, 2004

Dinosaur Gum

weirdojace posted:

So now I suppose the award for the longest standing genre switching humorous alternative rock duo goes to:

Well given that TMBG have been around since the early 80s, they would've won that award anyway. (Though it's pretty awesome that they commented on it. Of course, they were former labelmates so that probably helps.)

Anyway since I haven't really said anything about it yet, while I'm sad that the band is apparently no more, I'm way more interested in Aaron being happy and stable and drug-free than the band continuing at this point. The guy looks like poo poo, quite frankly. He looks older than my loving dad while being significantly younger, and that's not good.

Besides, as has been said, band breakups are almost never permanent in this day and age, so maybe some years down the road we might see them back together. If not, well at least they had a good run.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Gene, er I mean Aaron Freeman has been releasing new tracks on soundcloud. Makes me hopefully that his tour wont just be Marvelous Clouds tracks. Really digging Ribbit and Nature Man. Stay With Me Daddy is good, but really reminds me of a Elliott Smith type of song.

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jul 5, 2012

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Link: http://soundcloud.com/a-freeman

This is more like it! These are the kinds of songs I expect from Aaron. If his next solo effort is made of songs he actually wrote, then it should be much better than Marvelous Clouds, which didn't grab my attention.

"Ribbit" is my favorite of the bunch.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Looks like Aaron's tour has been completely canceled, due to low ticket sales.

Consequently:

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Wow, what a clusterfuck.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Gener's been through a lot lately and all but it seems like breaking up the band was a really rash and sudden decision on his part. This is embarrassing.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Well his new poo poo sucks. What does he expect to happen? That "ribbit" song or whatever the hell it is? It sounds like a terrible children's song.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
I just happened to be on the Ween forum this morning immediately after he posted in a thread about Claude's tweet. The post (and entire thread, for that matter) has been deleted, but he said something along the lines of "Wanted to weigh in on Claude's tweet--best you hear it from me. There will be no more Ween shows. The book's been closed."

What a trainwreck. At the same time, though, I have to think of it from a humanistic perspective. If Aaron stays Gene Ween, he's on drugs 22 hours a day and dies by 50. If he goes back to Aaron, he lives longer, but can no longer be with a band that has for better or worse defined itself by drug use. He can't stop making music--it's in his blood--but he's only written Ween songs for like....25 years now. He's starting from scratch and his audience only wants Ween.

Sir Bobert Fishbone fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 9, 2012

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Or maybe if Ween were to continue, he can learn some loving self control and not overindulge in drugs because that's what "Gene Ween is supposed to do." Maybe he should learn from Deaner, who seems to have managed to be a responsible drug user the entire time.

This whole situation must be crazy embarrassing for him.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

weirdojace posted:

Or maybe if Ween were to continue, he can learn some loving self control and not overindulge in drugs because that's what "Gene Ween is supposed to do." Maybe he should learn from Deaner, who seems to have managed to be a responsible drug user the entire time.

This whole situation must be crazy embarrassing for him.

Yeah but saying "have some self control" isn't gonna work with someone who's obviously medically an addict. He needs to remove himself from the triggers that have caused him to relapse time and time again. As a fan it sucks, but as someone who would rather not have another Ween tour than to see the dude dead in 5 years, it's understandable.

Rolodex Propaganda
Oct 4, 2003

Fall in love with spines
I honestly hope Gener makes a full recovery and a new, slightly sober Ween rises from the ashes. If they do reform it probably won't happen for several years, as it seems like he's burnt a few bridges.

shmee
Jun 24, 2005

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Looks like Aaron's tour has been completely canceled, due to low ticket sales.

Consequently:

His Twitter now says "Last twat removed but not retracted. It has little place among the greatness & positives I wish 2 promote. Let ween mean music one day again".

Is this the first comments (such as they are) from anyone else connected to Ween since he left? Mickey has been silent about it (save the Facebook comment) hasn't he?

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Yeah but saying "have some self control" isn't gonna work with someone who's obviously medically an addict. He needs to remove himself from the triggers that have caused him to relapse time and time again. As a fan it sucks, but as someone who would rather not have another Ween tour than to see the dude dead in 5 years, it's understandable.

I know. I'm just too overly hopeful that perhaps we'll get Sober Ween sometime in the future. Even if it means we'll get more La Cucarachas.

shmee posted:

Is this the first comments (such as they are) from anyone else connected to Ween since he left? Mickey has been silent about it (save the Facebook comment) hasn't he?

That's right. Also, I think Deaner was the one managing the Ween facebook page? I could be wrong. But there hasn't been an official update there since Aaron's announcement.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

weirdojace posted:

I know. I'm just too overly hopeful that perhaps we'll get Sober Ween sometime in the future. Even if it means we'll get more La Cucarachas.

That's right. Also, I think Deaner was the one managing the Ween facebook page? I could be wrong. But there hasn't been an official update there since Aaron's announcement.

Aside from Friends and Spirit Walker, I think La Cucaracha is an excellent album. I didn't like it at first, but it grew on me.

I want to say Pat Frey was managing the Facebook page.

Everyone except Aaron should regroup for a tour. He's apparently the only one wanting to break things up. Get a guest singer (Wayne Coyne?) for a tour or let Deaner handle all vocals.

Edit - now I've got Spirit Walker in my head :doh:

me your dad fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Jul 10, 2012

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Haha... I'd actually gladly pay to see Wayne Coyne replace Gener as the vocalist, even though I know he'd have a lot of trouble hitting the notes. I just like Wayne that much.

Unless they wanted to do setlists of mostly Dean songs, I don't think using him as the vocal replacement would work well. He just doesn't have the range that Gener has. But finding a replacement might just be a good idea. That is, if the whole band would rather continue without him.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
What's Cat Stevens doing? He could fill in for Gener.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

weirdojace posted:

Haha... I'd actually gladly pay to see Wayne Coyne replace Gener as the vocalist, even though I know he'd have a lot of trouble hitting the notes. I just like Wayne that much.

Have you ever seen The Flaming Lips live? Wayne can't hit the notes on his own songs, watching him try to do some of Ween's poo poo would be ear-raping

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
Oh I'm aware. That doesn't stop me from enjoying his performances, though.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
Why would you want to hear anyone else sing Birthday Boy anyway?

Ween is Gener and Deaner. If the rest of the live band want to go on, I'm guessing they would do it under a different name and just play songs like Awesome Sound or cover versions.

Ween splitting up isn't surprising given the state that Aaron is in, but he went about it in the most dickish way imaginable.

me your dad
Jul 25, 2006

Leyburn posted:

Why would you want to hear anyone else sing Birthday Boy anyway?

I've never heard Birthday Boy live :(

That song was the first Ween song I ever heard. When I was in high school (early 90's) I frequently taped radio shows on the Georgia State University station. I sometimes wouldn't be around to hear it while it was playing, and would listen the recording the next day.

One night they played Birthday Boy and I was mesmerized by it when I listened to the tape. The radio station, being student-run and slack by nature, often didn't announce their playlists so I didn't know who the artist was.

It wasn't until about a year later, when I was introduced to Pure Guava via a friend, and later God Ween Satan, that I realized who the band was.

me your dad fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jul 11, 2012

Mt. Modular
May 18, 2006

There's a great version of "Birthday Boy" on that Live CD/DVD they put out two or three years ago (it was an early 90s concert). I probably listen to that more than the original.

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001
I think the live versions of Birthday Boy are better too, but there's something really raw about about the album version. It sounds like it was recorded hours after the breakup.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Pretty awesome that Dean did this. Even uploaded the backing track.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-vs6jt1lCw

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Jul 12, 2012

weirdojace
Sep 4, 2007
That's a nice video. I hope he does more of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yvershek
Nov 15, 2000

and there are no
diamonds in the
mine
I can really sympathize with Gene needing to be away from any temptations towards using. Still, I get the impression that everything said so far has been about touring. That environment would definitely be out of the question, but I do hope that they could manage to work together in a studio to make another album.