Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malorie
Jun 2, 2008

Oh god... I think there's someone... Behind me!
Many thanks for all these episodes!

The Yoiko and Quiz episodes were a lot more entertaining than I expected! The quiz one especially somehow seemed more fascinating (perhaps because it was possible to 'play along' and guess the answers yourself) than a lot of the regular retro game episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bo Steed
Apr 12, 2012

Kacho: ON

Gutcruncher posted:

Unsatisfied with keeping the fighting in the streets of the present, Capcom decided to take it to the space streets in the dystopian future of the year 2010. Can Arino cyborg-laser-punch his way to victory over today's futuristic challenge? Street Fighter 2010. Translated by Zari-gani and timed by Gutcruncher

Ok, seriously, you guys. I was supposed to actually sleep tonight. :(

Ah, who am I kidding? Sleep is for the weak. Thanks for continuing to be awesome.

Eager to see this one. Such a weird spinoff...

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ
Even though I didn't post about the Downtown/Yoiko and quiz episodes the other day thanks to cheap alcohol (Olde English 800 to be exact) after I watched them, I want to thank you guys for the past couple days of new content. Those episodes, along with the Street Fighter 2010 episode, are great as always. :)

Bo Steed posted:

Ok, seriously, you guys. I was supposed to actually sleep tonight. :(

Ah, who am I kidding? Sleep is for the weak. Thanks for continuing to be awesome.

Eager to see this one. Such a weird spinoff...
The Kacho never knows sleep. That's how he can marathon though games in 13 hours with few breaks for using the bathroom and food. :)

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I owned Street Fighter 2010 as a kid. That game was awful, but back then you only owned so many games, so I played a lot of it. Can't wait to watch this episode.

Half the games I had back then were bought blind without a box or manual or anything because I got them for $1-5 from rummage sales or yard sales. Yeah, I'll buy your box of 10 games for $40. There's got to be at least one or two decent ones in there!

I got Spy vs Spy that way and that game owned.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Goddamn Z-G, how do you even find time to do all this translating, in between doing the DVD translations and I assume you have a real job and oh god.

It's those Japanese ancestors, isn't it. You gotta ganbatte all the way! :argh:

Crotch Bat posted:

You guys are going to run out of episodes to translate soon :v:

I hope so. Then they'll get to translating eps as they are released, and maybe I can actually watch the new episodes with some degree of comprehension.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

These have been some of the funniest episodes that have shown up.

What are some good downtown stuff that's not just Gaki no Tsukai? There's so many of their variety stuff on gaki-files, but what are some of the better stuff?

taopriest
Oct 25, 2011

"Games Are Like Baths, Without Them, We Would Get Sick" Igarashi Koji
At the moment my favorite segment is the "ABSOLUTELY TASTY SERIES". Warning: Some of their creations are really disgusting lol

Gaki No Tsukai-Absolutely Tasty Pizza 01
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfavc3_subbed-gaki-no-tsukai-absolutely-t_fun

Still have to watch the newest episodes provided here.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Ineffiable posted:

These have been some of the funniest episodes that have shown up.

What are some good downtown stuff that's not just Gaki no Tsukai? There's so many of their variety stuff on gaki-files, but what are some of the better stuff?

Well, I mean, Gaki is just a variety show so when you say "not Gaki" do you mean actual other shows or what? Their other big shows right now are LINCOLN, another variety show and Hey! Hey! Hey! Music Champ which is basically an interview show for musicians.

If you're asking what popular segments that appear on GnT should you watch then I'd say Absolutely Tasty, Cosplay Bus Tour, Kiki, Silent Library(it's the original, not the poo poo MTV has), and the 5 Rangers game.

If you like what you watch then go to http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3426240 and we can lead you towards more "in depth" Downtown material. The OP in that thread should help you out a bit, especially the 2 links at the bottom, which congregate a lot of the stuff I've suggested into a couple main sites instead of the scattered mess that is the Gaki forums.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

I got the two terms wrong. I meant the Batsu games.

I keep forgetting Gaki is their variety show in whole so it includes a lot of items.

Volfogg
Dec 19, 2010

Some say she was raised by sentient birds, and that test subjects replicating her equipment were horribly broken.

All we know is she's called
The Hunter

taopriest posted:

At the moment my favorite segment is the "ABSOLUTELY TASTY SERIES". Warning: Some of their creations are really disgusting lol

Gaki No Tsukai-Absolutely Tasty Pizza 01
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xfavc3_subbed-gaki-no-tsukai-absolutely-t_fun

Still have to watch the newest episodes provided here.

No matter how many times I see this, the Frisk Mint Pizza NEVER gets old.

makere
Jan 14, 2012
Thanks for the SF2010 ep.

I TOTALLY guessed that he's going to wonder about where is Dhalsim

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
After watching Friendly Downtown with Yoiko, it reminded how much of a blast Downtown's Silent Library bits were. Look into those if you want more of that stuff.

joek0
Oct 13, 2011
For the Gameboy segment in the SF2010 episode, he plays Donkey Kong GB. Here is a link to the 3DS Virtual Console episode featuring Arino playing a few games before doing a challenge of the first 2 worlds of Donkey Kong. Video is in 2 parts.

Part 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T0ySBGmpGw
Part 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXzt6-eMT2s

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.
I'm getting spoiled by all of these amazing releases!

Please keep spoiling me it's pretty awesome! I want to do fanart of SA-GCCX.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Kibe's Gameboy collection is pretty bad for that segment, if you ask me. It seems like most of the games he has are parts of a series that has color versions already. Donkey Kong for the Gameboy is literally the game they made to show off the Super Gameboy's colorization powers! Segment is still funny, but I think it'd be a lot more interesting and the concept would carry more weight if they actually brought out weird Gameboy exclusives. Maybe I'm just being :spergin: here.

rdbbb
Jul 26, 2011

Next new ep is Captain Tsubasa (Tecmo World Cup).

joek0
Oct 13, 2011

rdbbb posted:

I posted it in a previous post. Just wasn't sure if it was the first Captain Tsubasa NES game or any of its NES sequels. Thanks for the verification.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*

rdbbb posted:

They've also officially run out of Famicom games to showcase, so they're going to begin their chronological showcase of Game Boy titles -- starting with "1989GB." Which of these will be a waste of color?

Caitlin posted:

I want to do fanart of SA-GCCX.

Tell me I'm not the only one who can't picture Gutcruncher as anything other than Guile, which makes his Arino-Dhalsim fanart even better.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

zari-gani posted:

Tell me I'm not the only one who can't picture Gutcruncher as anything other than Guile, which makes his Arino-Dhalsim fanart even better.

That seems totally fair, but I need pictures of everyone to even try. :gonk: I'm not quite as skilled as you but sometimes I do okay things? But I love following your Tumblr. :3:

(shoujo Hokuto no Ken was the best thing)

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Light Gun Man posted:

Donkey Kong for the Gameboy is literally the game they made to show off the Super Gameboy's colorization powers!

I actually got angry when I saw how amazing DK looked on Super Game Boy. Why isnt that the version we can buy on 3DS?

NINTENDOOOOO

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

zari-gani posted:

They've also officially run out of Famicom games to showcase

Wait, what? They've played every single Famicom game? Or do you mean something else?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

FredMSloniker posted:

Wait, what? They've played every single Famicom game? Or do you mean something else?

The vignettes they show bits of games after a child says the year they were released.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

8-bit Miniboss posted:

The vignettes they show bits of games after a child says the year they were released.

Even still...weren't there almost 1000 Famicom games released in Japan?

Maybe they just showed off the ones people might care about and decided to switch to GB.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
I always wished they would branch out to other systems for those parts. Im sure Kibe knows of some cool Sega Master games they can show off!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

rdbbb posted:

Oh boy oh boy oh boy

Soccer soccer soccer

(Where the gently caress is the guy with that avatar, we need him in here yesterday)

(edit) Wait, wrong soccer game, drat. :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 1, 2012

Fred is on
Dec 25, 2007

Riders...
IN SPACE!
I think the Waste of Color segment's premise is just an excuse to have Arino play some Game Boy games, like with the Game and Watch segment and its sale gimmick. But has Arino ever tackled a portable game in an actual challenge?

It would be cool seeing him play something like Metal Gear: Ghost Babel or the Wario Land series. Or maybe they draw the line at making an entire episode out of sub-NES black-and-white graphics with a "SUPER GAME BOY" frame.

Obeast
Aug 26, 2006
Õ_~ ANIME BABE LOVER 2000 ~_Õ

Snot Man posted:

I think the Waste of Color segment's premise is just an excuse to have Arino play some Game Boy games, like with the Game and Watch segment and its sale gimmick. But has Arino ever tackled a portable game in an actual challenge?
The closest thing he's ever done for an actual challenge of a portable game was in that 3DS Virtual Console special, which was posted earlier in this page, where he played the first couple worlds of Donkey Kong 94 (which I still say would be a great full challenge) and a remake(?) of Blaster Master.

Edit: They also played the 3DS versions of ExciteBike and Xevious in a couple other mini-challenges for Japanese 3DS owners.

Obeast fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Jun 1, 2012

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Snot Man posted:

I thought it was an excuse for Kibe to show off more of his collection and be a nerd on camera.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I was surprised to learn that SF2010 was actually titled that in Japan, too. Always thought it was localized into Street Fighter to sell the game to NES customerbase. "Finally a Street Fighter on NES!"

edit:

VVV

It was Kevin. There was no mention of 'Ken' in the Japanese audio.

jyrque fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 1, 2012

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

jyrque posted:

I was surprised to learn that SF2010 was actually titled that in Japan, too. Always thought it was localized into Street Fighter to sell the game to NES customerbase. "Finally a Street Fighter on NES!"

Small question about that. In the subs, it points out that Kevin's name was Ken in the US version. Was that in the original Japanese audio, or was it added for further clarification? I know they mentioned the difference between the Japanese and American versions of Zombie Nation and I just wondered if they did that here as well.

zari-gani
Sep 6, 2004

How much do you want it? ;-*
The localized version of Street Fighter 2010 changed the character name and whole story to make him Ken from Street Fighter. In the Japanese version the hero is an entirely different character called Kevin Striker and the plot is also different, which you can read about in the Wiki article. Because the GCCX episode shows the original story, this was one of those times I opted to use the non-localized name. I snuck in a quick mention at the beginning of the ep.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

zari-gani posted:

The localized version of Street Fighter 2010 changed the character name and whole story to make him Ken from Street Fighter. In the Japanese version the hero is an entirely different character called Kevin Striker and the plot is also different, which you can read about in the Wiki article. Because the GCCX episode shows the original story, this was one of those times I opted to use the non-localized name. I snuck in a quick mention at the beginning of the ep.

The localized story actually makes more sense than the original, considering the game's name. :v:

NBHS
Mar 2, 2012

"I'm here for you. To make children smile, to make profits rise, I am the subservient of the network.

"... did we get all that on tape?"

Snot Man posted:

It would be cool seeing him play something like Metal Gear: Ghost Babel or the Wario Land series. Or maybe they draw the line at making an entire episode out of sub-NES black-and-white graphics with a "SUPER GAME BOY" frame.

He warmed up with the Game Boy version of Adventure Quiz Hatena's Quest before taking on the PC-Engine main version, in #43. That wasn't part of the main challenge, though.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

zari-gani posted:

Be glad you haven't seen the animation where that picture originated, then. You would probably have a much different view of Gutcruncher :pervert:

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time

Hakkesshu posted:

Be glad you haven't seen the animation where that picture originated, then. You would probably have a much different view of Gutcruncher :pervert:
now all we need is some pee-pee

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

Snot Man posted:

A good 75% of the Gameboy games that would make good challenges had Super Game Boy borders so it's not a total bust.

Doctor Hospital
Jul 16, 2011

what

Tempura Wizard posted:

now all we need is some pee-pee

:barf:

I just watched Yuuyu's Quiz de Go! Go! a couple of days ago, and while I wasn't really a fan of the game itself (which is weird, since I normally like the quiz games shown on the show), Noda enthusiastically shouting "GO! GO!" and making Arino crack up was the best thing.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Waste of Color made me curious about the SGB and I found a pretty interesting article about it:

http://blog.scoutshonour.com/post/2350461718/gently caress-the-super-gameboy-introduction

One of the sections is specifically about donkey kong:

http://blog.scoutshonour.com/post/2379636248/gently caress-the-super-gameboy-donkey-kong

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Small question I've been curious that I doubt anybody knows the answer to. What's that thing on Arino's neck? It looks like a burn mark or something and it's been there since the beginning, but I noticed in the Dragon Buster episode that it was covered up with a band-aid and then it was notably less pronounced in later episodes (maybe, could be my imagination or an effect of low video quality).

Just a small curiosity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Vlaphor posted:

Small question I've been curious that I doubt anybody knows the answer to. What's that thing on Arino's neck? It looks like a burn mark or something and it's been there since the beginning, but I noticed in the Dragon Buster episode that it was covered up with a band-aid and then it was notably less pronounced in later episodes (maybe, could be my imagination or an effect of low video quality).

Just a small curiosity.

I've always guessed that it's a mole. Arino probably went to get it (mostly) removed before the Dragon Buster episode.