Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Yeah, for me it was strictly the price - immediately after I bought it, went back up to the gouge-tastic $640. I slipped in right under that crap. Hell, the USED ones are all $30 more than I paid for mine. I said I wasn't going to pay a scalper and I didn't. That's as far as my GPU integrity goes, god drat it, shiny stuff.

Anyone in the market for a GTX 580? :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
There were some opinions discussed on factory OCs a few pages ago. I'm replacing a Radeon 4870 that is dying after about 4 years of use, and was wondering specifically how much more wear factory OC would put on a card like this for instance. My only real concern now is longevity and avoiding lovely drivers. The 4870 hadn't yet reached a point where I really wanted the upgrade.

Also is there any news on Nvidia's upcoming kepler releases ? I'd read some suggestion they would be releasing a competitor in the $200-300 bracket.

CatelynIsAZombie fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Jun 1, 2012

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...

Agreed posted:

I've moved away from CUDA accelerated audio lately. It didn't really go where I was hoping. Now I'm back toward native plugins to take the most advantage of the very low latency but high power the 2600K at 4.7GHz can handle.

Is there a list of plugins that can use CUDA? I don't think I'm using the correct google search terms.

I also might try taking my graphics card (and wireless internet) out of my music production box entirely to see if TC Near x64 still shits the bed.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Pan Ache posted:

There were some opinions discussed on factory OCs a few pages ago. I'm replacing a Radeon 4870 that is dying after about 4 years of use, and was wondering specifically how much more wear factory OC would put on a card like this for instance. My only real concern now is longevity and avoiding lovely drivers. The 4870 hadn't yet reached a point where I really wanted the upgrade.

Also is there any news on Nvidia's upcoming kepler releases ? I'd read some suggestion they would be releasing a competitor in the $200-300 bracket.

Save the $10 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102986
If you find yourself caring about that modest factory overclock later, you can just crank the sliders yourself. It's otherwise exactly the same. Good card choice though.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

WanderingKid posted:

Is there a list of plugins that can use CUDA? I don't think I'm using the correct google search terms.

I also might try taking my graphics card (and wireless internet) out of my music production box entirely to see if TC Near x64 still shits the bed.

You happen to own Nebula? :smith:

Under NDA related to specifics on other stuff but me getting away from it and back to native is for a reason. GPGPU performance isn't what it could be and latency is too much of a factor unless you want to buy a legitimate mid-to-high end Quadro/Tesla, which means you have great GPGPU but you should have spent that money on some UAD-2 hardware :mad:

Agreed fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jun 1, 2012

WanderingKid
Feb 27, 2005

lives here...
Oh screw that then. UAD-2 isn't even that great (latency, load limitations etc) and its not like I'm even using enough plugins + oversampling to even max my i7 870 yet. Guess it sounds like I should give it a pass too.

Ninja edit: native really is the way forward.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
AMD is moving its Catalyst drivers off of monthly and to Nvidia's "as needed/when it's ready" schedule..

AnandTech posted:

Why? As we briefly mentioned before, the benefits of AMD’s monthly driver release schedule were realized in practice for quite some time, but only up until the last couple of years. Starting around the release of the HD 5000 series though those benefits became harder to realize and less meaningful. The issue is at its basic level one of complexity – AMD’s drivers continue to grow in size and complexity, with the latest release weighing in at 170MB. Video drivers have effectively eclipsed Windows 95 in complexity and size in the last couple of years, which reflects the fact that these devices really have become processors, complete with all the intricacies of code compilation and scheduling, and basically in need of a mini-OS just to run them.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you
I was wondering if that was going to happen since it got to be the end of the month and they still hadn't updated the drivers from 12.4, which is a shame cause I have compatibility issues with the 12.4 drivers and had downgraded to 12.3.

Guess I'm not updating for a little while now.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

real_scud posted:

I was wondering if that was going to happen since it got to be the end of the month and they still hadn't updated the drivers from 12.4
They've actually been falling behind for a few months now.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Update on my 670 TOP. I decided to return it for a full refund, since the RMA process apparently takes about 3-4 weeks on average. I just hope they don't try to restock it before letting ASUS test it. I did tell the rep about the issue up front, so I don't have any qualms about it.

New card arrived and it benches at +40 MHz, and has an equally higher boost as well. So it's actually stable (so far) at 1306 MHz though I'm not sure I'll want to keep it that high, it's certainly no longer quiet at that speed.

Judging from posts in this thread: http://www.overclock.net/t/1259425/asus-670-directcu-ii-top/540 ASUS seems to have been a little too optimistic with their selection of chips to go into this model. Most are good, but more than a few are unstable at "stock".

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
I'm thinking many of these problems are related to how difficult it is to test for stability with dynamic clockspeeds. The GPU is actually boosting higher with less than full load, meaning traditional tools that heavily load the GPU don't work well for testing. As an example, FurMark could run fine at nearly any clockspeed setting on my GTX 670, as the card was pegged at its 130% TDP cap the entire time so wasn't using much of the headroom available to it.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Something interesting just came up at Anandtech: AMD is launching a new Radeon HD 7750 clocked at 900Mhz that boosts card TDP to 83W (from 75W). They're going to validate all 7750 GPUs they sell at 900Mhz, and it will be up to board partners to decide whether to run them at 900MHz on boards with a 6-pin power connector, or clock them at 800Mhz on boards powered only by the motherboard. AMD will charge the same price for the GPU however they are clocked, but board partners will likely charge slightly more for the 900Mhz cards because of the additional power conversion hardware and circuitry.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Silly question: don't PCIe 2.1 and 3.0 slots deliver up to 150W power on their own? So such a card installed on a PCIe 3.0 motherboard would still be able to run without the aux power hooked up?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

Factory Factory posted:

Silly question: don't PCIe 2.1 and 3.0 slots deliver up to 150W power on their own? So such a card installed on a PCIe 3.0 motherboard would still be able to run without the aux power hooked up?
I don't think anyone's ever made a card that does that, probably because they don't want to break compatibility with older and lovely motherboards. I could definitely see a lot of cheaper boards, even current ones, not coping well or at all with a card pulling 150W from the slot.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Afox has a 6850 that does so (Afox being a Foxconn spinoff and newcomer to the US market). That card is also single-slot.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

In the SLTCAP (IIRC) register in PCIe config space, software can program the amount of power the slot can supply as well. No idea how much attention GPUs pay to that.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

So from reading this thread, people seem to be having problem with the Asus TOP GTX670 cards, is there anything I should know to look out for or not do? It should be here tuesday or wednesday.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

KKKLIP ART posted:

So from reading this thread, people seem to be having problem with the Asus TOP GTX670 cards, is there anything I should know to look out for or not do? It should be here tuesday or wednesday.

It's a binned chip, didn't make the 680 cut, but it has approximately a 10% difference in performance of a 680 at stock speeds. The new fine-control turboing thing is a little tough for manufacturers to get a handle on, and if it doesn't perform at stated specs RMA it. Otherwise, hopefully you won't have any issues and can enjoy top tier performance for a nice discount. Overclocking is not guaranteed, ever, but sometimes you can eat a fully OC'd 7970's lunch with them. Just depends on what's wrong with it that made it a 670 part. Seems like a lot of perfectly reliable companies are having issues with the 670s and overclocking, so don't freak any more than is sensible if it doesn't give you [H] levels of OC.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

KKKLIP ART posted:

If it is bad the driver crashes giving you a black screen for a few seconds until windows recovers, how that manifests in games depends on the game. Diablo 3 handles it gracefully and lets you continue after a few seconds - but your frame rate will tank, BF3 does not and becomes unresponsive.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 2, 2012

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

Agreed posted:

It's a binned chip, didn't make the 680 cut, but it has approximately a 10% difference in performance of a 680 at stock speeds.

Don't know where 10% is coming from, all the reviews I saw show the 670 beating the 680 by a very small amount (1-3% or so) on every test

vv Sorry, yeah, I was referring to the ASUS 670TOP that's being talked about

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 2, 2012

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

HalloKitty posted:

Don't know where 10% is coming from, all the reviews I saw show the 670 beating the 680 by a very small amount (1-3% or so) on every test

I think he means at the actual 670 stock speeds, not the factory overclocked "stock" speeds.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Two neat AnandTech articles today:

First, it followed up on its Thunderbolt article, full of Asus engineering slides that us mere mortals can only begin to understand. PCIe hot plug is working, though devices without supported drivers might only half work or BSOD a system entirely. Link.

As well, they looked into how TDP limits affect the performance of Ultrabooks as gaming platforms by comparing HD 4000 at 17W and 45W.

(big dips are the scene transitions in the benchmark)

As nice as the dream of ULV good-enough gaming graphics is (in IVB or Trinity), the TDP limit leads to significant performance deficit compared to similar 35W chips. The CPU and GPU both can't really wind up enough in 17W to handle a game. And thanks to AnandTech finally discovering HWiNFO64, we've got a rough TDP for a full-performance HD 4000: 15W.

I'd say we'll need another process shrink for ULV CPUs/IGPs/APUs to give a solid gaming experience.

BLOWTAKKKS
Feb 14, 2008

How quiet is the ASUS 670? Would two of them be quieter than a single 690? I really wouldn't want to deal with aftermarket GPU coolers after my last experience. I usually go EVGA, but they all same to have the same loud single fan setup.

td4guy
Jun 13, 2005

I always hated that guy.

If it makes you feel any better, I got the dual-fan EVGA GTX 680 and it gets pretty loud if I want to keep it under 65C.

By default, though, it is indeed pretty quiet. But it easily goes over 70C which causes it to automatically downclock itself.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

BLOWTAKKKS posted:

How quiet is the ASUS 670? Would two of them be quieter than a single 690? I really wouldn't want to deal with aftermarket GPU coolers after my last experience. I usually go EVGA, but they all same to have the same loud single fan setup.

Asus's DCII 670 is quieter under load than a 690 is at idle. Also, I can't help but ask why you're considering that much oomph.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

Factory Factory posted:

Also, I can't help but ask why you're considering that much oomph.
This just reminds me of reddit's gamingpc reddit where you can't offer suggestions on saving money because it's all about spending as much as possible for e-cred. This is one of my favorite finds recently: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/uip63/build_ready_3000_gaming_pc_best_bang_for_my_buck/

Guy wants to spend $3k on a new computer including the GTX 690 4gb and only uses 1 monitor.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what

Lblitzer posted:

This just reminds me of reddit's gamingpc reddit where you can't offer suggestions on saving money because it's all about spending as much as possible for e-cred. This is one of my favorite finds recently: http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapc/comments/uip63/build_ready_3000_gaming_pc_best_bang_for_my_buck/

Guy wants to spend $3k on a new computer including the GTX 690 4gb and only uses 1 monitor.

At least they have enough brains to poo poo on OCZ gear, too. :v:

I feel bad for the guys trying to give good advice there, drowned out in a sea of "You really should get a 1300W PSU instead of that 850W thing." Though the build with the i5-3570K looked almost reasonable until you got to the dual GeForce 690s.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

Factory Factory posted:

Asus's DCII 670 is quieter under load than a 690 is at idle.

I love the DCII 670 now that I have one that doesn't crash the drivers. It is worth noting that (the TOP version at least) will probably pass 70C and downclock itself unless you change the fan profile. In my case I can keep it below 70C and still not be able to hear it over my case fans.

I think they exhaust most of the air inside the cabinet, so if you actually decide to SLI two of them you might want to make sure you have the airflow sorted.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

What's all this talk of automatically downclocking at 70ºC? Some people (especially back in March/early April) talked about that, but others (even at the time) said no such behavior. What are you using to overclock that it's doing that?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
I read about it in the thread I linked earlier on overclock.net, at first I thought it was FUD; but I observed the core clock dropping a bit in MSI Afterburner when the temperature passed 70C. I can't remember if it was overclocked at the time or not, but if it was it would have been Afterburner.

E:
Actually, I'll test it out with no fan profile in GPU-Z when I get home. Should be pretty easy to see.

E2:
Easy to see, a little harder to screenshot. Only 13.1 MHz, but it happens at 70.0C in both Skyrim and Diablo 3.

No other GPU tools loaded, this is just a plain factory overclock.

Hamburger Test fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jun 4, 2012

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

Agreed posted:

What's all this talk of automatically downclocking at 70ºC? Some people (especially back in March/early April) talked about that, but others (even at the time) said no such behavior. What are you using to overclock that it's doing that?

I have my 680 GTX flashed with a modded BIOS that sets the base clock to 1150 and the boost clock to 1229. If it hits 70C, it downclocks from 1229 to 1215.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Are you sure that's not TDP-based? Or have people tested cards with different coolers and it always happens at 70 C?

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

Just tested my 670 and it also downclocks 13 MHz as soon as it hits 70 c.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

What a weirdly specific and reproducible thing.

Okay, well, a custom fan profile to keep it cool was already planned, and losing 13MHz off of a 150-200MHz overclock isn't a deal breaker :v:

BLOWTAKKKS
Feb 14, 2008

Factory Factory posted:

Asus's DCII 670 is quieter under load than a 690 is at idle. Also, I can't help but ask why you're considering that much oomph.

Thanks for the reply. I'm feeling like upgrading because when I was playing GW2 during the one day stress test my FPS would dip below 60 at times, on medium. But I looked into it a little more and apparently people are playing it on high using pretty old hardware. I'm not really sure if it was just me, or maybe the game is more CPU-bound anyway. I don't really know at this point, I just like getting shiny new things.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
So wait, you currently have SLI 570s, you're seeing other people getting better framerates on lesser video cards, and so your solution is to upgrade your video card?

Look for bottlenecks elsewhere.

BLOWTAKKKS
Feb 14, 2008

I didn't know people were getting better performance on lesser cards, I just found that out. I thought it was just a very demanding game. The rest of my computer is up to date enough so it must have been something stupid. Thanks.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

My Asus 670 will be here tomorrow and I am super stoked. I am using a GTX260 now, so this is going to be such a massive improvement that it isn't funny.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

KKKLIP ART posted:

My Asus 670 will be here tomorrow and I am super stoked. I am using a GTX260 now, so this is going to be such a massive improvement that it isn't funny.

Hey, GTX 260 bro. Unfortunately, I'm going to have to wait a bit for an upgrade, due to money issues. Tell me how much more awesome it is. :unsmith::respek::unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

KKKLIP ART posted:

As someone who upgraded from a GTX 280 (not 285, 280) to a GTX 580 last generation, it's stupendously awesome.

I don't expect quite that level of :tviv: from the GTX 580 ---> GTX 680 when I install it later tonight (it's sitting beside me and it's really hard to focus on important work things because it's RIGHT HERE oh christ), but improvements of 30-50% are pretty god damned cool too and I look forward to that. But you, man, you're... drat. Have fun going from limping to sprinting the whole marathon.