Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

It doesn't matter when I take lunch, this always seems to happen when I'm at lunch.

My take:

Rosetta/La Promesse - no-brainer purchases. My two favorites by the Dardennes!
Quadrophenia - another easy purchase
Royal Tenenbaums - goddamn, Criterion is putting a hurt on my wallet this month

I haven't seen the others, but Weekend and Lonesome look promising. Dunno about the Mailers. I don't see any likely purchases there, but I'll give them all a look.

Fabulous month, and great cover art too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'm dreading the moment when I have to choose between getting Quadrophenia and Royal Tenenbaums at the store.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Please don't buy the Mailers. They are Bad Movies.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Honestly don't even watch the Mailer stuff on Hulu+ when they put them up. They're not even interesting bad.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

I see they all have <6 ratings on IMDb. Not that IMDb votes should be relied upon that much, but that's usually a pretty bad sign. I can probably count on my fingers the number of <6 films that I actually liked.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Infopost:

#157 The Royal Tenenbaums

+Same features as DVD release

#620 La promesse

+New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director of photography Alain Marcoen, with 5.1 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
+Conversation between film critic Scott Foundas and filmmakers Luc and Jean-Pierre Dardenne
+New interviews with actors Jérémie Renier and Olivier Gourmet
+Trailer
+New English subtitle translation
+PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Kent Jones

#621 Rosetta

+New, restored high-definition digital transfer, supervised by director of photography Alain Marcoen, with 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
+Conversation between film critic Scott Foundas and filmmakers Luc and Jean-Pierre Dardenne
+New interview with actors Émilie Dequenne and Olivier Gourmet
+Trailer
+New English subtitle translation
+PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Kent Jones

#622 Weekend

+New high-definition digital restoration, approved by director Andrew Haigh and director of photography Ula Pontikos, featuring 2.0 surround DTS-HD Master Audio soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
+New program featuring interviews with Haigh, Pontikos, producer Tristan Goligher, and actors Tom Cullen and Chris New
+New interview with Haigh on the film’s sex scenes
+On-set video footage shot by New and others, and two scenes from Cullen’s and New’s auditions
+Video essay on the film’s set photographers, Oisín Share and Colin Quinn
+Cahuenga Blvd. (2005) and [/i]Five Miles Out[/i] (2009), two short films by Haigh
+Trailer
+PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Dennis Lim

#623 Lonesome

+New digital restoration, featuring uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
+Audio commentary featuring film historian Richard Koszarski
+The Last Performance, director Paul Fejos’s 1929 silent starring Conrad Veidt, with a new score by Donald Sosin
+Reconstructed sound version of Broadway, Fejos’s 1929 musical
+Fejos Memorial, a 1963 visual essay produced by Paul Falkenberg in collaboration with Fejos’s wife, Lita Binns Fejos, featuring Paul Fejos narrating the story of his life and career
+Audio excerpts about Broadway from an interview with cinematographer Hal Mohr
+PLUS: A booklet featuring essays by critic Phillip Lopate and film historian Graham Petrie and an excerpt about Lonesome from Fejos’s autobiography

#624 Quadrophenia

+New high-definition digital restoration of the uncut version, with the original 2.0 stereo soundtrack as well as an all-new 5.1 surround mix, supervised by the Who and presented in DTS-HD Master Audio on the Blu-ray edition
+New audio commentary featuring director Franc Roddam and director of photography Brian Tufano
+New interview with Bill Curbishley, the film’s coproducer and the Who’s comanager
+New interview with the Who’s sound engineer, Bob Pridden, discussing the new mix, featuring a restoration demonstration
+On-set and archival footage
+Behind-the-scenes photographs
+PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Nick James, a reprinted personal history by original mod Irish Jack, and Pete Townshend’s liner notes from the album

Eclipse Series 35: Maidstone and Other Films by Norman Mailer

+Maidstone
+Wild 90
+Beyond The Law

Weekend is up on Netflix Instant for anyone curious, it's pretty excellent. Lonesome looks pretty nifty, and the theme park dweeb in me is thrilled for the early Coney Island footage (they had some weird rides then).

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Lonesome is a great film, don't like the cover though, too sparkly for a silent. Yay for the Dardennes and Quadrophenia too, looks like a good month.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

robix smash posted:

The Royal Tenenbaums Blu on 8/14 too. http://www.criterion.com/films/230-the-royal-tenenbaums

I'm just gonna go to sleep until 8/14 if that's cool with everyone.

Apes-Ma
Aug 9, 2011

Your cage isn't getting any bigger.
They couldn't get Tough Guys Don't Dance? I was so hoping for a restored print of OH GOD OH MAN.

"He had the biggest cock in all christendom".

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

No, gently caress you guys, Maidstone is awesome.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I glossed over the list a little too fast and for a split second I thought it was Week End, became giddy, and then really disappointed.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

The Royal Tenenbaums is a given since it's one of my all-time favorites.

Lonesome looks incredibly interesting from looking at the YouTube clips online. I've been more inclined to blind-buy silents just because they're available. Plus, Criterion is including two entire films as "extras" so it's not a bad deal for a triple feature. Maybe they'll be inclined to re-issue the Von Sternberg set in HD at some point.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Mailer's an amazing writer (he's also a chauvinistic egomaniac but that's beside the point) so I'm curious about his films. I won't blind buy them but I'll definitely try and get a hold of them and check them out.

Tenenbaums is an instant buy. Lonesome sounds good enough to be a blind buy.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I really wish they'd taken the opportunity to change the Tenenbaums cover. I've never liked that one, even though I think all the other Andersons work well.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
New newsletter clue. File name is wackypigeons.

McNutty
Feb 25, 2007

Forum cheer squad sez: "Cheer the fuck up your avatar is depressing you left-wing commie ass-smoker. For fuck's sake. Jessus."
Isn't Mike Tyson's keeping pigeons a major part of that doc?

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
It's On the Waterfront. :toot:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I am looking into a couple of new Criterion films, and I was wondering what you guys thought of Bigger Than Life, and Branded to Kill. Bigger than Life looks really interesting because of the subject matter in the time period that they made it in, and Branded to Kill looks right up my alley. A Hitman in a cool japanese 1960's aesthetic with some interesting looking set pieces? yes please.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Nicholas Ray is fantastic, absolutely get Bigger than Life.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Seconding that, Bigger Than Life is terrific.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I've been checking out a few of the movies on Hulu's Criterion channel that haven't been released or announced yet, and have found quite a few total gems. Rossellini's 'Socrates' is my new favorite of his histories, Bresson's 'Trial of Joan of Arc' is gorgeous, and 'Killers on Parade' is a huge and unexpected blast-- along the same lines as 'Branded to Kill' but even more hyperbolic and manic. I saw they also have 'Valerie and Her Week of Wonders,' which impressed me a lot when I saw it a few years ago and is probably my favorite Jaromil Jires.

Are there any other must-see films buried in there that aren't available elsewhere? I'm going to check out 'Monsieur Verdoux' tomorrow, and maybe one of the many Zatoichi things they have.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Man, I really need to pony up and get Hulu again, it was worth it just for the Criterion channel (and I never got around to watching Princess From The Moon).

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

The_Rob posted:

I am looking into a couple of new Criterion films, and I was wondering what you guys thought of Bigger Than Life, and Branded to Kill. Bigger than Life looks really interesting because of the subject matter in the time period that they made it in, and Branded to Kill looks right up my alley. A Hitman in a cool japanese 1960's aesthetic with some interesting looking set pieces? yes please.
Have you seen any other Suzuki? His films are a bit difficult to recommend as blind buys, and your thumbnail description isn't really how I'd summarise Branded to Kill (1967). It's really a deconstruction of mainstream film/pop sensibilities and in particular Japanese consumption of them.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it; it's absolutely one of my favourite films. But it's an aggressively difficult to digest film; I think this is one of the major conceits of the film---hyper-accentuating all the elements which define pop cinema of the era until their `natural' meaning and context is obliterated (which is a way of recontextualising them as critical, rather than purely diegetic, elements). If you're familiar with Japanese New Wave film in general, think of something like Oshima's In The Realm of the Senses (1976), except instead of (just) explicit sexuality, doing the same thing with all of the trappings and conventions of Bond films (which were huge in Japan at the time) or conventional Yakuza films. I'm not trying to draw a narrow comparison here---Oshima's film isn't very good and Suzuki's is loving incredible---but I'm just talking about the schtick of taking something and just loving running it into the ground stylistically.

Really if you want a Suzuki film that's slick and cool you'd probably prefer Tokyo Drifter (1966) which is an inferior film but which is way the gently caress more stylistically accessible.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Archyduke posted:

I've been checking out a few of the movies on Hulu's Criterion channel that haven't been released or announced yet, and have found quite a few total gems. Rossellini's 'Socrates' is my new favorite of his histories, Bresson's 'Trial of Joan of Arc' is gorgeous, and 'Killers on Parade' is a huge and unexpected blast-- along the same lines as 'Branded to Kill' but even more hyperbolic and manic. I saw they also have 'Valerie and Her Week of Wonders,' which impressed me a lot when I saw it a few years ago and is probably my favorite Jaromil Jires.

Are there any other must-see films buried in there that aren't available elsewhere? I'm going to check out 'Monsieur Verdoux' tomorrow, and maybe one of the many Zatoichi things they have.

It might be on DVD now but I caught Fassbinder's World on a Wire on Hulu and enjoyed it. It's a good 70s sci fi flick that's very cerebral.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

SubG posted:

Have you seen any other Suzuki? His films are a bit difficult to recommend as blind buys, and your thumbnail description isn't really how I'd summarise Branded to Kill (1967). It's really a deconstruction of mainstream film/pop sensibilities and in particular Japanese consumption of them.

I'm not trying to talk you out of it; it's absolutely one of my favourite films. But it's an aggressively difficult to digest film; I think this is one of the major conceits of the film---hyper-accentuating all the elements which define pop cinema of the era until their `natural' meaning and context is obliterated (which is a way of recontextualising them as critical, rather than purely diegetic, elements). If you're familiar with Japanese New Wave film in general, think of something like Oshima's In The Realm of the Senses (1976), except instead of (just) explicit sexuality, doing the same thing with all of the trappings and conventions of Bond films (which were huge in Japan at the time) or conventional Yakuza films. I'm not trying to draw a narrow comparison here---Oshima's film isn't very good and Suzuki's is loving incredible---but I'm just talking about the schtick of taking something and just loving running it into the ground stylistically.

Really if you want a Suzuki film that's slick and cool you'd probably prefer Tokyo Drifter (1966) which is an inferior film but which is way the gently caress more stylistically accessible.

Thank you for this, while I haven't seen much Suzuki your write up of the film has made it that much more interesting to me. I can understand why you wouldn't recommend it as a blind buy though. I see that it is on Hulu and I have a free month so I may just watch it there first.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
Studio Canal and Lionsgate reupped their deal :(

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
Oh goodie I can't wait for more high quality releases.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
Great. Looking forward to another few years of a spattering of half-assed Studio Canal transfers while the rest of their extensive library sits in a vault somewhere covering dust.

Erdnase
Nov 9, 2009

he needs the money
Maybe this has been answered before but this thread is huge.

Is there a good place to buy Criterion releases in the UK? I just realised they won't ship internationally (what the hell, Criterion?) and I want to spend lots of money on their goddamn blu-rays.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Erdnase posted:

Maybe this has been answered before but this thread is huge.

Is there a good place to buy Criterion releases in the UK? I just realised they won't ship internationally (what the hell, Criterion?) and I want to spend lots of money on their goddamn blu-rays.
Amazon? I've never tried to buy Criterions off amazon's US site from the UK, but I've bought a lot of Masters of Cinema titles off amazon.co.uk from the US.

Erdnase
Nov 9, 2009

he needs the money
I'd checked amazon.co.uk and the selection wasn't great. Didn't think about buying from amazon.COM instead, thanks.

I understand why Criterion don't ship internationally with Region issues and so on but it's a pain in the arse. Oh well.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

Erdnase posted:

I'd checked amazon.co.uk and the selection wasn't great. Didn't think about buying from amazon.COM instead, thanks.

I understand why Criterion don't ship internationally with Region issues and so on but it's a pain in the arse. Oh well.

More importantly, Criterion's own shipping fees to countries outside of the US is ridiculous.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

The Blob is coming at some point on Blu-Ray.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Wow. Talk about an upgrade. The Samurai Trilogy looks better than I ever could have expected: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare3/samuraii.htm

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

codyclarke posted:

Wow. Talk about an upgrade. The Samurai Trilogy looks better than I ever could have expected: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCompare3/samuraii.htm

I was just about to post that.

Anyway, :aaaaa:

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

codyclarke posted:

I've actually owned these on DVD for ages but never got around to watching them. Are the movies any good?

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

Sheldrake posted:

I've actually owned these on DVD for ages but never got around to watching them. Are the movies any good?

All three are fine and really do need to be watched in order, but the third is in my opinion easily the best. The first one is a bit slow, but necessary for understanding the motivations of the characters in later parts.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Newsletter clue time again.

Looks like we're getting Sunday Bloody Sunday on HDDVD

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Newsletter clue time again.

Looks like we're getting Sunday Bloody Sunday on HDDVD

Laserdisc, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
The Quadrophenia cover is snazzy, but this image from the soundtrack will always represent the movie for me: