Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

VagueRant posted:

How did they manage to ruin FFT's gameplay systems so much in FFTA, anyway? It wasn't just laws.

This is what happens when you restrict job classes to race, add like five or six core stats, and expect players to be able to finish a mission without damaging enemies only using abilities with <20% hit rates, but keep the hosed-up hit% formula where your hit chance above 50% is actually exponentially higher than it says it is, and your hit chance below 50% is actually exponentially lower than it says it is.

Long story short, actually a lot easier than you might think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
Also, getting rid of charge times removes a HUGE amount of the actual "strategy" of a strategy RPG. Also, by portioning out abilities via available equipment instead of on a JP basis, you restrict the players ability to break the game (which is really half the fun).

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I would have been able to forgive absolutely everything else if they'd left in charge times.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

The White Dragon posted:

This is what happens when you restrict job classes to race, add like five or six core stats, and expect players to be able to finish a mission without damaging enemies only using abilities with <20% hit rates, but keep the hosed-up hit% formula where your hit chance above 50% is actually exponentially higher than it says it is, and your hit chance below 50% is actually exponentially lower than it says it is.

umm what? I know the Fire Emblem games have a deliberately skewed hit rate, but from what I understand the FFTA RNG isn't significantly biased in either direction.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Trasson posted:

umm what? I know the Fire Emblem games have a deliberately skewed hit rate, but from what I understand the FFTA RNG isn't significantly biased in either direction.

It's not intentional, but rather a mistake in how they wrote the hit% formula. I can't remember the specifics--I mean I'm sure you can look it up easily--but there's a math error involving division that makes low hit% hit even less often than its actual hit rate, and high hit% hit more often than the actual displayed rate.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Square Enix announced Final Fantasy Dimensions for iOS and Android, which is probably a port of that cellphone game Warriors of Light and Darkness since it has the same logo. Was that game supposed to be good? It has a job system and everything so I'm excited for it :)

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Pablo Gigante posted:

Square Enix announced Final Fantasy Dimensions for iOS and Android, which is probably a port of that cellphone game Warriors of Light and Darkness since it has the same logo. Was that game supposed to be good? It has a job system and everything so I'm excited for it :)

Some sources say it's possibly a port of this:

http://www.square-enix.co.jp/mobile/ff/ffl/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLG0Ooa2yYM

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Pablo Gigante posted:

It's from the same team that made 4 Heroes of Light for DS, but it's proper pseudo-retro with sprites and everything, rather than the weird mishmash of retro and modern than 4HoL was. There's also some episodic stuff like FF4:TAY, but I have no idea if it's handled more gracefully than that. Everything I've read compares it to FF5, so I'm glad it's finally coming (not that I actually own a phone to play it on or anything).

EDIT: Bravery Default isn't listed on their E3 schedule...

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

Schwartzcough posted:

Also, getting rid of charge times removes a HUGE amount of the actual "strategy" of a strategy RPG. Also, by portioning out abilities via available equipment instead of on a JP basis, you restrict the players ability to break the game (which is really half the fun).

Do any other Tactical RPGs besides FFT use charge times? Tactics Ogre didn't use charge times and I consider it to be a more tactical experience than FFT. The problem is with FFTA they took out charge times and put in a law system to compensate for the lack of strategy, except charge times make for a great strategic battle mechanic and the law system is brutal pain in the butt.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

The White Dragon posted:

Long story short, actually a lot easier than you might think.

The amazing thing is how FFT was built off of the experiences of Tactics Ogre and improved upon since it was a PSX game instead of a SNES game.

Yet FFTA was even more of a Tactics Ogre engine rework and it still managed to be a steaming pile of poo poo despite Let Us Cling Together and Knight of Lodis both being extremely good games.

Excluding LUCTG having the most suicidally stupid AI ever. Radlum... :argh:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pablo Gigante posted:

Have a source.

I do have a few details. It was developed by the same team as The After Years, 4 Heroes of Light, and the upcoming Bravely Default, under the same director as FFIV, and it seems to have much in common with those. There are crystals involved, naturally. It was released as TAY-style episodic chapters, and I think it's a safe bet that it's balanced better and developed more fully due to being entirely original content. Chapters alternate between two parties adventuring at the same time, each with their own separate villain and set of elemental fiends. Both parties have four core members with a fifth slot for guests. Many NPCs and guests are named after similar characters from the first five Finals Fantasy.

It uses a FFV-style job system. Each party starts off with access to several basic jobs, and each time a guest party member joins, their job is unlocked for that party (though the guest can't change jobs). Each party thus ends up with a different selection of jobs.

I expect the story is just your basic nostalgia-fueled melodrama, which you'll enjoy in direct proportion to your ability to embrace its corniness. I don't know for certain, however.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Sounds interesting. Couldn't hurt to try it out I guess.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

So in the latest edition of "fake or not?", we have the alleged rebranding of FFXIII Versus as FFXV:

http://www.gamezone.com/products/final-fantasy-versus-xiii/news/final-fantasy-xv-leaked-for-wii-u-and-ps3-no-xbox-360

I'm inclined to agree with the author, but on the other hand I've suspected they'd do something like this with how much time and money they've undoubtedly sunk into a side project like Versus.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Schwartzcough posted:

So in the latest edition of "fake or not?", we have the alleged rebranding of FFXIII Versus as FFXV:

This would make too much sense for SE so obviously it's not real.

Rueish
Feb 27, 2009

Gone

but not forgotten.

Krad posted:

This would make too much sense for SE so obviously it's not real.

Seriously, I kept thinking it would be for the benefit of the game to distance itself from XIII entirely. That and the name is silly and dumb anyway. Making it XV is a fantastic move (especially considering how much time has been put into it), but this is SE.. they are not good at this business thing.

Maybe that's what they meant by "FF Versus XIII" won't be at E3, they'll surprise everyone with it being XV? Wishful thinking..

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Would naming it XV even do anything? Everyone already knows what it really is, so it'd just come off as being really lazy.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
I more inclined to think it's fake.

The numeral next to the Japanese text in the lower right looks more like a XIII than a XV. Of course, it's blurry as gently caress, so it's not really compelling evidence.

However, there is the fact that none of that trailer stuff is new, and that it's not difficult to fake the FF font.

We'll find out soon enough, I imagine. Though really, it'd be for the best if it were true.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Pesky Splinter posted:

I more inclined to think it's fake.

The numeral next to the Japanese text in the lower right looks more like a XIII than a XV. Of course, it's blurry as gently caress, so it's not really compelling evidence.

It's a white square.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
The World is Square.

I did say it's not good evidence. :shobon:

[e]: Made dark. Now it's a blue square:

[e]: Yes! 360 as well, or bust!
VVV

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 1, 2012

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

It looks pretty fake to me, though it would make a lot of sense for Square - they could put out a big new release relatively soon rather than having to either rush out a project without even XIII-2's advantage of existing assets or take the time to build something new from the ground up.

It drat well better come out for my 360 though. :argh:

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

The Wii U uses blu-ray discs, doesn't it?

http://www.develop-online.net/news/37932/Nintendo-Wii-U-disc-capacity-at-25GB

The problem with getting this game on the 360 is disc capacity. Either they'll have to horribly compress all the FMVs or remove most of them altogether.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

That loving Sned posted:

http://www.develop-online.net/news/37932/Nintendo-Wii-U-disc-capacity-at-25GB

The problem with getting this game on the 360 is disc capacity. Either they'll have to horribly compress all the FMVs or remove most of them altogether.

They could get around that by doing more stuff in-engine, though. I only remember XIII-2 only having a handful of FMVs, especially compared to the first game where they had a bunch of FMVs that looked like gameplay for whenever they wanted slightly fancier effects.

I assume going multidisc would raise costs too much?

Snowcow
Oct 17, 2007

I think discs are pretty cheap to print aren't they?

A Great Big Bee!
Mar 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Well they did rebrand Agito-XIII, so it's not like there isn't precedent, and the reception for XIII was lukewarm enough that it might damage a game that is essentially entirely separate from it. Still, the video is pretty sketchy. I would like to see a Wii-U release though, it'd be one explanation for what they've been doing for all this time.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
I'm playing Final Fantasy XII-IZJS for the first time (and never played vanilla), and just got through the dungeon where you get Ashe. I made some class choices that are apparently, fairly questionable:
  • Vaan - Hunter
  • Penelo - White Mage
  • Balthier - Machinist
  • Fran - Archer
  • Basch - Knight
  • Ashe - Red Mage
I get that it's theoretically possible to beat the game without touching the license board at all, but as someone who doesn't really know how to break the game (and doesn't particularly want to on a first run,) how badly did I screw myself over? It's early enough that I'm not particularly against just restarting.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

AzraelNewtype posted:

I'm playing Final Fantasy XII-IZJS for the first time (and never played vanilla), and just got through the dungeon where you get Ashe. I made some class choices that are apparently, fairly questionable:
  • Vaan - Hunter
  • Penelo - White Mage
  • Balthier - Machinist
  • Fran - Archer
  • Basch - Knight
  • Ashe - Red Mage
I get that it's theoretically possible to beat the game without touching the license board at all, but as someone who doesn't really know how to break the game (and doesn't particularly want to on a first run,) how badly did I screw myself over? It's early enough that I'm not particularly against just restarting.

Why do you think you screwed yourself? It's not a bad team; a little light on offensive magic, but the only class that really isn't is black mage.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Schwartzcough posted:

Why do you think you screwed yourself? It's not a bad team; a little light on offensive magic, but the only class that really isn't is black mage.

Well, I was chewing down phoenix downs like candy in the dungeon where you pick Ashe up, both before and after grabbing her. Also apparently machinist is a terrible idea just on its own merits, and Fran comes with a couple offensive spells that get no love with an Archer.

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

That loving Sned posted:

Haha, not a chance. Nobody loves proprietary media formats more than Nintendo does. It's just a disc of similar capacity to actual Blu-Rays.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

AzraelNewtype posted:

Well, I was chewing down phoenix downs like candy in the dungeon where you pick Ashe up, both before and after grabbing her. Also apparently machinist is a terrible idea just on its own merits, and Fran comes with a couple offensive spells that get no love with an Archer.

There really isn't a lot you can do to break FFXII; not like 5 or 8. You can level up, find good equipment by exploring, and set up good Gambits. The closest thing you can really get to breaking it is getting the Nihopaloa accessory, which will trivialize a lot of fights. The game in general is more challenging than that lot of FFs unless you grind, and that area you just cleared in particular gives a lot of people trouble. Buffs and debuffs are very important, so don't forget to throw up Protect and such.

As for your class choices, the one or two offensive spells Fran starts with aren't worth worrying about, since they will be too weak to hurt anything shortly. The Cure spells the girls start with can always be useful for after-battle healing, though. If, for some reason, you wanted to boost Fran's magical power (more for her Cura spell than anything), there are 5 Magic Lore licenses hidden behind an Esper, but I wouldn't really recommend them.

Machinist gets guns, which can be very nice for doing set damage while ignoring defense and your stats, and they get all the potion and remedy lores. Also, they get some excellent Time Magic for end-game areas if you give them the right Esper. (In case you're not far enough to have really caught on, you can only teach each Esper to one character, and a lot of Espers unlock certain licenses on the different license boards. So you should check each license board before giving someone an Esper, to make sure you're using it "optimally" to unlock the best licenses).

If you're really not feeling comfortable with your team and want to restart, though, the classic standby team of White Mage/Black Mage/Red Mage/Knight/(something good with items and preferably ranged damage) is hard to go wrong with. Almost any team you make WILL be missing useful abilities, so you just have to adapt.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

AzraelNewtype posted:

Here's the party I used my first time playing:

Vaan - Monk
Penelo - White Mage
Balthier - Hunter
Fran - Black Mage
Basch - Knight
Ashe - Samurai

I spent a lot of time carefully considering this party. Its a very good party throughout the game. I won't bother getting into specific game mechanics stuff but lemme try to convey why this party works so well.

Magic in IZJS is very good, both offensively and defensively. The White and Black mages are the best at both so that's a no brainer. The Monk and Hunter are the utility classes. The polearms Monks use will hit flying monsters, they have access to some useful healing spells and they can use the Wither and Expose techs which are debuffs that are excellent against bosses. The Hunter is there because they get all the remedy lores and because daggers are good weapons. The Knight and the Samurai are the main damage dealers. Knights get to use the most powerful weapons, and with the right espers can even get some useful healing magic. Samurais are great because katanas have been buffed a lot from vanilla. Ashe makes the best Samurai because the damage formula for katanas takes both strength and magic into account. Finally this party is very good as far as esper overlap goes. What I mean is that, generally, these classes aren't going to need to make use of the same espers to unlock important abilities (save maybe the Monk and Knight).

All that being said your party isn't awful and being as its your fist time through its not really that big a deal if you don't have the most optimal setup.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Snowcow posted:

I think discs are pretty cheap to print aren't they?

Yeah they are.

Not as cheap as having no physical media to have to ship though. If the next-gen consoles don't do some heavy embracing of digital distribution I'd be amazed. Aside from saving them some overhead of dealing with physical merchandise, publishers would be able to use it in their fight against used game stores since people won't be able to trade in something registered to their system.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Versus on Wii U? Nintendo to use blu ray? Fake.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Mak0rz posted:

Haha, not a chance. Nobody loves proprietary media formats more than Nintendo does. It's just a disc of similar capacity to actual Blu-Rays.

That's right, although Nintendo's proprietary discs for the Gamecube and Wii were just DVDs, without the licensing. Although the Wii U will use discs with exactly the same capacity and laser as blu-ray, you won't be able to play movies on it.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

:frogsiren: :siren: :frogsiren: :siren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :siren: :frogsiren: :siren: :frogsiren:

:frogsiren: :siren: :frogsiren: :siren: :frogsiren: :frogsiren: :siren: :frogsiren: :siren: :frogsiren:

Before you start reading... Click me and listen while browsing the instructions below to get you in the mood

Alright goons, it's time for this years Final Fantasy Five: Four Job Fiesta 2012!

Hosted directly by the folks at neoGAF, I've taken the liberty to bring this directly to us goons. As such, I'm posting the rules which were written by Aeana in the neoGAF thread, so props for that. A big special thanks to RevenantKioku from neoGAF for hosting this event as well!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Like last year the fiesta has its own homepage at http://www.letsplaying.com/FF5FF and its own Twitter account @FF5ForFutures

What is the Four Job Fiesta?
You play Final Fantasy 5, the best Final Fantasy game. The only difference is, you are allowed only four jobs, one from each crystal. And they are randomly assigned to you by the Gilgabot on Twitter. To claim your victory over the challenge, When you beat Exdeath, you must post a final screenshot. Your picture must show all four of those jobs being used to qualify you as a winner.

Or, this year, there is hard mode. (Use #reghard instead of #reg.)

What's hard mode?
Every time you unlock a new crystal you will get a new job from any of your currently available jobs! That includes duplicates! It's possible you may never proceed beyond Wind Crystal jobs! You could even get multiple Berserkers! Newcomers to the Fiesta are welcome to sign up for hard mode, but remember, you can end up with anything!

Could you give a detailed version of that?
As you play Final Fantasy Five, jobs are unlocked at certain parts of the game. The wind crystal, water crystal, fire crystal and earth crystal. When you unlock the wind, water, fire and earth crystal jobs, send a tweet to @FF5ForFutures with #wind, #water, #fire or #earth respectively. You will then be informed of your new job!

Here is an example;

EXTRA RULE: If your Wind Crystal Job is White Mage and you are having troubles, you may use ONE FREELANCER until the water jobs. If you are playing Hard Mode, however, this is discouraged.

What versions of FF5 are acceptable?
Any.

What if I have never played FF5 before?
It’s cool, you can still sign up.
This isn't the recommend way to play the first time. But, no one is stopping you from trying.

How do I sign up?
Make a tweet to FF5ForFutures containing #reg or #reghard. And then wait. The fiesta starts June 17th.

What if I don’t get any tweets back?
Gilgabot works on a schedule and will respond to tweets when it is able. Should ten or fifteen minutes go by, don’t resend the tweet, but let RevenantKioku know. He’ll look into it and if something is really gunked, manually set you up. It just may take a while if that is the case, but it shouldn’t be.

I don’t want to play, but I want to watch!
Feel free to check out the site and look at the logs of everyone, or the players individually. There will surely be livestreams, YouTube videos and even a few people making their own unique works here in this very thread.

What’s with that donation box?
Once again this year, the FF5FJF is being played for Child’s Play! You don’t need to donate to play, of course, but your contribution, players or no, is appreciated!
The donation period will be from June 1 to August 31. Ideally, you will want to beat the game within that time. But if you don’t, don’t worry! The site will remain operational until for a good while after that, although most of the fanfare will likely have cooled down.

Still using Twitter? Isn't that so 2008?
Gilgabot loves you. And remember, using Twitter does not give any of your personal information to anyone. If you insist on having your account set to private, let Gilgabot know so he can follow you back. You must also follow Gilgabot for it to work. There are some cool things in store this year that Twitter support is helping to allow.

I have a question!
Send a tweet to @FF5ForFutures and you will be answered as soon as possible!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

What's new in 2012?
A whole lot!

1) Pledges
Tweet #pledge and what you pledge to Gilgabot and it will be logged on the site for everyone to see!
Examples
    @FF5ForFutures I #pledge $1 for every winner!
    @FF5ForFutures I #pledge $1 for every winner and an extra dollar for every hard mode winner!
    @FF5ForFutures I #pledge $10 for every crystal I get!

And so on. Of course we cannot make you honor your pledge and we understand things happen. But remember that it is great motivation and for a great cause!

2) Hard Mode
Detailed above. Essentially, you could end up with White Mage, White Mage, White Mage, White Mage. Or Thief, Berserker, Berserker, Bersker. Or even get something like a normal run.

3) #myparty
I FORGOT MY JOBS! OKAY I'LL JUST TWEET #myparty to Gilgabot and he'll tell me what I unlocked so far!
If, for some reason, you really don't want to visit the beautiful site that there is.

4) rk's Run
Starting June 15, RevenantKioku (the events host) is going to live stream his run. But Gilgabot is not in charge of his fate this year. You are!
Go to http://www.letsplaying.com/FF5FF/rkrun.php and select the jobs you want rk to use. Then select a donation (if any) and press submit. You must have a twitter account to make the tweet. Just tweet what comes up after submitting.
If you don't donate your vote counts once. If you do donate you add 1 vote for each donated dollar.
Donating is separate from voting. Once finished tweeting your vote, go to ChipIn, make your donation and when you donate add your twitter handle in the comment box. You can also add what you voted for to be doubly sure. Once it is confirmed that your donation went through your extra votes will be tallied.
Why not just give him the hardest jobs?
Here's the rub! rk will start live streaming his marathon on June 15. When he finishes the Fiesta starts! Of course, if he doesn't finish by June 17 it'll start anyway. But if his jobs are easier, the fiesta begins sooner! Plus, some job combinations will be funnier than others. And the hardest combo isn't really decided upon.

Why isn't he doing hard mode?
Because he doesn't want to be play Thief, Berserker, Berserker, Berserker.

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jun 1, 2012

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

Those of you who are curious, here are some statistics from last years Fiesta

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Guess I'm going to have to make a Twitter account for this.

Will be doing hard, of course.

Edit: Signed up for Hard.

Mega64 fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jun 1, 2012

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
I want to do this, but I hate twitter and don't have an account. Will someone just roll a d20 instead?

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

I want to do this, but I hate twitter and don't have an account. Will someone just roll a d20 instead?

You and me both :o:

In all seriousness, you aren't alone in disdain for twitter and/or even having an account. My last tweets on my twitter account were from LAST YEARS fiesta... that's how little I use/care for it.

But like RevenantKioku says, Twitter allows for privacy (if you make a new account). Not to mention at this point the Twitter Gilgabot is pretty deeply embedded in automatically tracking a lot of things, such as the statistics of progress, donations, pledges, and job allocation of hundreds of different players all simultaneously, and automatically updates these events on website. It takes a huge load of work off the event organizer, and makes things really clean and efficient, by having Twitter support.

So making a twitter account in less than 2 minutes to sign up really saves a lot of time in the long run, and is well worth it since this event rocks!

:getin:

EDIT: I also signed up for Hard mode!

Happy Blue Cow fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 1, 2012

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Oh man I'm playing a regular game of FF5 right now, this is exactly what I need. Can finish the game normally and have it fresh in my mind for the challenge.

Signed up for hard. I probably will fail it but hey, no guts no glory! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah sure why not, regged hard. What's the best version of FF5 these days, the GBA one? Or did they ever put out a native PSP port.