Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Does that mean we have to redefine Dad Metal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Optimum Gulps
Oct 6, 2003

You wanna save this place, right? And I want to destroy it. Brick by hypocritical brick.

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Does that mean we have to redefine Dad Metal?

This can be the new definition https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYS6TJ3aOIE

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Please post more dad metal and/or make this dad metal week.

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

I have an old box of metal CDs that I got off a friend of mine a couple of years ago, which consists of mostly death metal and grindcore stuff. Now all of these albums are just the disc itself and the booklet, so there are no inlays or jewel cases. If I were to put a list of the contents of that box on SA Mart, would anyone reckon they'd be interested in buying (parts of) the contents off me?

Just wondering whether this would appeal to anyone enough for me to even bother going through the contents and compiling a list of what's actually in there. I can imagine that just CDs and booklets wouldn't appeal to most people (including me), but then again perhaps there are some people out there that don't care too much about having the "complete" CD.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Dead Man Posting posted:

Please post more dad metal and/or make this dad metal week.

My dad got me into Sabbath, Jimmie Hendrix, Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin. Also, Pink floyd, Talking Heads and the Stones but I guess that's rather off topic.

:cool:

Big Bob Pataki
Jan 23, 2009

The Bob that Refreshes
My dad likes Nickelback

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Metal Thread ###: My Dad Is More Metal Than Your Dad.

I discovered heavy metal on my own, but since then my dad's helped me appreciate the old classics like Deep Purple and Uriah Heep and such.
Conversely, I keep introducing him to stuff like Graveyard and Black Spiders.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
My old man likes talk radio and Sinatra

It's amazing I'm even into music

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
My parents listen to contemporary Christian rock.

...come to think of it, it's no wonder that I love metal.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

QPZIL posted:

My parents listen to contemporary Christian rock.

...come to think of it, it's no wonder that I love metal.

gently caress, that poo poo is like the worst music ever. I'd rather listen to rap or country than Christian rock.

There's nothing good or uplifting about it, it's just poo poo.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Vargatron posted:

gently caress, that poo poo is like the worst music ever. I'd rather listen to rap or country than Christian rock.

There's nothing good or uplifting about it, it's just poo poo.

"You're not making Christianity better, you're just making rock 'n' roll worse!"
-Hank Hill

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Pretty disappointed in the new Fear Factory, especially since I thought Mechanize was killer.

New Kreator is awesome. Kreator is awesome.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Kreator is awesome.

Their image is like a dead serious Manowar. Kreator kicks rear end.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Phantom! Antichrist!

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

My dad was in to Cash and Willie Nelson. Outlaw country is the poo poo.

Yep.

Snow Axe
Oct 27, 2010

Pretty disappointed in the new Fear Factory, especially since I thought Mechanize was killer.

It feels phoned-in as hell, especially the drum programming. Last time I felt like this listening to Fear Factory was when Transgression came out. I guess losing guys like Stroud and Hoglan hurt a lot more than I thought it would.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

My dad listens to Green Day and Andrew Lloyd Webber musicals. :what:

I Brake For MILFs
Jan 9, 2007

:syoon:

My dad is a huge Kansas fan, Leftoverture is loving amazing when you're 6.

When I hear that music nowadays it is really easy to draw comparisons to metal nowadays. It's a logical progression of music. More crazy vocals and louder amps.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 22, 2016

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Do Not Resuscitate posted:

I took my son to see Rush last summer. He mostly sat there and played his DS. He'll rock out to AC/DC and loves Phil's scream that begins "Great Southern Trendkill," but he's mostly into stuff like Pitbull and Lady Gaga. Oh well.

Dad chat.

To be fair, I'd probably play my DS if someone dragged me to a Rush concert too

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
One day my family came home to find my dad blasting Creed and headbanging in the living room. He was pretty embarrassed when he noticed us. Fortunately I pretty much always thought Creed were poo poo.

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.

I took my son to see Rush last summer. He mostly sat there and played his DS. He'll rock out to AC/DC and loves Phil's scream that begins "Great Southern Trendkill," but he's mostly into stuff like Pitbull and Lady Gaga. Oh well.

Dad chat.

To take this the other way, my parents wanted to come along when I went to a Finntroll concert. That was an interesting experience. Luckily they missed a lot of the random "BLOOD OF CHRISTIANS" that happened during the concert.

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012
Never been to one of their concerts. What's the "BLOOD OF CHRISTIANS" thing about? I mean, I know how it relates to their songs, but not concert performance.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

Dad chat.

My son loves the new Borknagar album. I think it's OK, but he won't let me turn it off in the car. He's 3. He mostly loves female vocalists, and in that vein has anyone been listening to the new Jess and The Ancient Ones album? It's very good clean vocals/female fronted-'70s occult rock. Fans of Jex Thoth/Sabbath Assembly take notice.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jan 22, 2016

super size soft serve
Aug 28, 2011

You think I'm fat, but it's an optical illusion.

Rush is awesome and I would've loved it if my dad had taken me to a Rush show. He doesn't listen to much more than Dire Straits and that sort of stuff, though.

Listening to the new Grand Magus right now and it sounds pretty good. Also just found out there's to be a new Baroness album soon, so I'm really looking forward to that.

Monkeytime posted:

[H]as anyone been listening to the new Jess and The Ancient Ones album? It's very good clean vocals/female fronted-'70s occult rock. Fans of Jex Thoth/Sabbath Assembly take notice.

Hadn't heard of this band before but since I do really like Jex Thoth and Sabbath Assembly, I'll have to give it a spin. This reminds me a lot of The Devil's Blood, but with organs. You might also like Castle and Year of the Goat, both on Van Records.

E: Also, wanted to remind people of my question earlier, which may have gotten drowned out by the dad chat. Would you buy CDs if it's just the CD and booklet, no inlays and jewel cases?

super size soft serve fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 1, 2012

EvilMoJoJoJo
Dec 9, 2004

ask me about leaving the cult of black metal and bringing jesus into your life

Job 19:17

Great Horny Toads! posted:

Never been to one of their concerts. What's the "BLOOD OF CHRISTIANS" thing about? I mean, I know how it relates to their songs, but not concert performance.

Just their in between song stage patter - "THIS SONG IS ABOUT EATING A CHRISTIAN PRIEST AND GNAWING HIS BONES!" [crowd whoops a lot]

My dad likes Jefferson Airplane, the Stones (Beatles by a mile for me), Steeleye Span, Dire Straits. :dadchat: Also a boatload of classical stuff, which I also very much appreciate. Growing up listening to classical music is totally useful, and I'm going to force my own (eventual) sprogs to listen to Handel and Stravinsky alongside Helrunar and Satyricon. Poor things.

Monkeytime
Mar 20, 2010

BjornOfBorg posted:

Hadn't heard of this band before but since I do really like Jex Thoth and Sabbath Assembly, I'll have to give it a spin. This reminds me a lot of The Devil's Blood, but with organs. You might also like Castle and Year of the Goat, both on Van Records.

E: Also, wanted to remind people of my question earlier, which may have gotten drowned out by the dad chat. Would you buy CDs if it's just the CD and booklet, no inlays and jewel cases?

Year of the Goat is awesome and I dig that Castle track, thank you. I noticed Year of the Goat has a new 7" out on Van which I'd order if I wasn't broke, apparently their full-length is now slated for a late summer release.

Regarding the CD question, I guess I would if we were talking $1-2 a CD, I rarely buy CDs at all anymore though.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

My son's entire musical taste derives from the Rock Band games. :( I have failed. I think he rebels against me by listening to 70's arena rock. He asked me to buy him a "Foreigner" t-shirt the other day. I feel that'd be like delivering him to the school bully wrapped in a bow. At least he recognizes In Flames from the games.

He does enjoy some some pop-punk and early hardcore though so I guess he'll probably start rocking eventually.

Fiendish Dr. Wu
Nov 11, 2010

You done fucked up now!
I listen to the usual metal in the car, but tone it down a bit when my sons in the car with me.

The other night he came downstairs after a bath and said "can you put on Iron Maiden so I can dance?" His dancing is mostly air guitar moves and running around like Dickenson. I'm so proud.

Dyscrasia
Jun 23, 2003
Give Me Hamms Premium Draft or Give Me DEATH!!!!

Monkeytime posted:

Regarding the CD question, I guess I would if we were talking $1-2 a CD, I rarely buy CDs at all anymore though.

Same here, if I buy a CD, I immediately rip it, so the disc is more collection stuff for me. I prefer to just buy it on vinyl.

For playback, I use CDR's because I tend to ruin them.

However, I think that many of my friends have and would buy a CD and book and just provide their own jewel case, but they are major into trading.

BDawg
May 19, 2004

In Full Stereo Symphony

Minto Took posted:

My dad was in to Cash and Willie Nelson. Outlaw country is the poo poo.

My dad loves Willie, Janice Joplin, The Beatles, bluegrass and lots of classical music.

He hates all of my music with the exception of Nightwish and Epica. He hates electronica way more than he hates metal.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.
For everyone anticipating Yellowgoat, Joel Grind apparently has another side project called War Ripper that's definitely playing in the same league. Not as intense as YG's going to be but it's the one man d-beat blackened thrash we're waiting for. Just a 4 song EP out there but it's better than nothing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBwcVS-bB0I

And his blog so we can find out where things stand with the YG album
http://joelgrind.blogspot.com/

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

My dad played nothing but blues and the Nuge when I was growing up, so it's no surprise that I'm into metal. I think I listened to thrash metal exclusively in middle school and prog metal in high school.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
My dad mostly listens to opera and tango, but he is responsible for getting me into Tom Waits and Leon Redbone.

I saw Leon Redbone in concert with my dad, and Iron Maiden with my son. And now I'm bringing my wife and daughter along to Maiden in July as well as my son. I'm sure when they're teenagers it will all go awry, but for now the plan seems to be working.

fozzie dunlop
Feb 28, 2008

by exmarx
Dad's a big fan of rockabilly and psychobilly, like Reverend Horton Heat or The Red Elvises. He gets bored fast with all the stoner metal I listen to, although he does get a kick out of Hank III and Boris. Still haven't tried getting him into black metal or death metal; I know his brain would just refuse to enjoy anything without clean vocals.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
My old man have been to see Alice Cooper and The Who together. He raised me on your basic dad-rock. My dad owns.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

fozzie dunlop posted:

Dad's a big fan of rockabilly and psychobilly, like Reverend Horton Heat or The Red Elvises. He gets bored fast with all the stoner metal I listen to, although he does get a kick out of Hank III and Boris. Still haven't tried getting him into black metal or death metal; I know his brain would just refuse to enjoy anything without clean vocals.

Sounds like my old man, except he is also a fan of every country song made before 1980, The Greatful Dead, Bob Dylan, and The Beatles.

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:
My dad listens to traditional dad rock kinda stuff, so that's kinda where I came from... he likes newer stuff with that kind of that same sound, but every once in a while he'll come home with an album I'd never expect like turisas or behemoth. "This is pretty out there, have you ever listened to these guys?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

venutolo
Jun 4, 2003

Dinosaur Gum
The most unexpected thing I found when going through my father's stuff after he died was Amon Amarth's Versus the World. As a hobby he was an indoor cycling instructor, and so I guess he had heard me play the album and had bought it to play in his classes.