Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu
Ah yes. "Darkside/Giant Killer" Hogan"...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Great American Bash 91 had to be one of not the worst ppv by a major company. Yet I was still shocked when they had Brian Pillman lead the crowd in a human being chant.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
If there was a Mount Rushmore of awful PPVs, I think it would include Heroes of Wrestling, Bash 91, December to Dismember, and Victory Road 09 or 11.

I'm amazed that despite the complete ineptitude of WCW in their later years, they never held a PPV that was as awful as Bash 91. It really was their worst PPV ever.

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Perigryn posted:

Ah yes. "Darkside/Giant Killer" Hogan"...

Really blew my mind. I remembered him doing this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9_QsD4ehdM - but I'd never seen the mask and sword before. It's so absurd.

"Well, I'm fighting guys who look like they came out of the lamest Dungeons and Dragons game ever. When in Rome..."

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

CVagts posted:

If there was a Mount Rushmore of awful PPVs, I think it would include Heroes of Wrestling, Bash 91, December to Dismember, and Victory Road 09 or 11.

I'm amazed that despite the complete ineptitude of WCW in their later years, they never held a PPV that was as awful as Bash 91. It really was their worst PPV ever.
Jim Herd let their world champion go to the competition with the title belt! That just adds to it! lol

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Perigryn posted:

Jim Herd let their world champion go to the competition with the title belt! That just adds to it! lol

The viewer knew. During the title match there is a huge WE WANT FLAIR chant.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CVagts posted:

New Blood Rising, Uncensored 2000, Bash at the Beach 2000 and Bash at the Beach 99 are nearly as bad if not as bad.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Great American Bash 2000, Bash at the Beach 2000, and New Blood Rising has got to be the worst string of consecutive ppvs of all time.

Oh and Uncensored 95 is pretty goddamn terrible from top to bottom as well

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Oatgan posted:

Great American Bash 2000, Bash at the Beach 2000, and New Blood Rising has got to be the worst string of consecutive ppvs of all time.

Halloween Havoc 91 is also pretty terrible. One of these days we ill have to have a viewing of all of these.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I have high hopes for New Blood Rising being the PPV that turns the company around. :wcw:

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Oatgan posted:

We should torture someone by making them watch Bash 2K/Beach 2K and NBR and then watch Wrestlemania XI, In Your House 1 and King of the Ring 95 and decide which was worse.

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Lone Rogue posted:

We should torture someone by making them watch Bash 2K/Beach 2K and NBR and then watch Wrestlemania XI, In Your House 1 and King of the Ring 95 and decide which was worse.
That's cruel and unusal punishment....

Wrestlemania IX should be on the list too.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Oatgan posted:

Don't sell Uncensored 2000 short. Yapppapi Strap Match for Best Gimmick Ever

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Is there anything good about... 1994/1995 I guess WCW? All I ever really hear about is the Dungeon of Doom/Hogan stuff and it just sounds completely dire. Was the undercard at least good or something?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Suben posted:

Is there anything good about... 1994/1995 I guess WCW? All I ever really hear about is the Dungeon of Doom/Hogan stuff and it just sounds completely dire. Was the undercard at least good or something?

That was when all the cruiserweights started to come in. Also the beginning of 94 before Hogan came was good and we got another Steamboat/Flair.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
The tag division was pretty good. Plus, Steve Regal.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Suben posted:

94 was mostly a pretty OK year. Two solid PPVs in Slamboree and Spring Stampede, Nasty Boys putting on 4 star plus matches not once, but twice???, Flair/Steamboat, Austin/Steamboat, and the initial Hogan/Flair matches were good, too. 95 has the incoming cruiserweights and... that's about it. But the Worlds Collide Starrcade or whatever the NJPW/WCW show they put on was called was pretty rad. Especially since it was my first introduction to Otani.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Lone Rogue posted:

If someone can get me all of those shows (and hide all the sharp objects in my house) I'd do this in a heartbeat. Totally serious.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

CombineThresher posted:

If someone can get me all of those shows (and hide all the sharp objects in my house) I'd do this in a heartbeat. Totally serious.

Most are on youtube

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oatgan posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much the bottom of the barrel when it comes to wrestling PPVs. Absolutely dreadful stuff. We should do an endurance night (if you want mass suicide) or week (if you just want the pain to last) where we see who can last through all three of those shows consecutively. I'm not sure I could.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

El Duke posted:

Nasty Boys putting on 4 star plus matches not once, but twice???

I will admit that when watching old Nitros and stuff, I'll skip over Nasty Boys or Public Enemy whenever they are on. They were pretty horrible...

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
Yeah, I kind of think that watching some ****+ Nasty Boys matches sounds like a pretty great way to spend my time, given that I would have never thought such things possible.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Deadpool posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much the bottom of the barrel when it comes to wrestling PPVs. Absolutely dreadful stuff. We should do an endurance night (if you want mass suicide) or week (if you just want the pain to last) where we see who can last through all three of those shows consecutively. I'm not sure I could.

I'm in for this.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
It's amazing how bad most Starrcade PPVs were. The early ones were hampered by bad gimmicks (Iron Man and Battle Bowl) and after Hogan arrived the main events were just crud. Starrcade 94 should really be in the discussion for worst WCW PPV as well. It's horrible and the main event is Hogan vs Beefcake.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Starrcade 93 sucks rear end too despite a great main event.

Having to sit through a goddamn 30 minute Nasty Boys match for a gently caress finish was the most infuriating goddamn thing ever. Especially when you just sat through Cactus Jack & Man Mountain Rock vs. the Godwinns.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
Man, I forgot how many dreadful WCW PPVs there were. Tempted to compile a best/worst PPV ever thread.

At some point, in order to weave through all the awful PPVs, you have to disqualify any PPV that has at least one good match, which might include Bash 91 (if I remember right, Windham/Luger was actually good action, but it just had the crowd making GBS threads all over it).

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Quarex posted:

Yeah, I kind of think that watching some ****+ Nasty Boys matches sounds like a pretty great way to spend my time, given that I would have never thought such things possible.

Honestly, the Maxx Payne/Cactus match is overrated, and both of the matches haven't held up well considering what came after, but the Sullivan/Cactus match is a hell of a lot of fun for a match that runs right under 10 minutes.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The first one was a gently caress ton of work which will probably keep me from doing this, but I have been pondering doing an Eliminator Tournament for the worst WCW PPV of all time.

Originally I thought to myself "It would be easier since I wouldn't need to fill up 50 slots..." But I probably would. There's 10 slots taken up by Halloween Havocs and Starrcades alone.

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
This discussion got me thinking: Did anything of significance ever happen at any of the Uncensored PPVs? Always seemed to be a mediocre show.

CVagts posted:

Man, I forgot how many dreadful WCW PPVs there were. Tempted to compile a best/worst PPV ever thread.
I could go for that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jack Krauser posted:

This discussion got me thinking: Did anything of significance ever happen at any of the Uncensored PPVs? Always seemed to be a mediocre show.

I could go for that.

Flair pinned Hogan to win the WCW World title in a first blood barbed wire cage match at Uncensored 99. It was a pretty good show overall.

Uncensored 96 blew off the Dungeon of Doom vs Hogan feud and other than that, not much of historical significance happened on the shows. 98 and 99 were good shows though.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

32 WCW PPVs. Eight groups of four. Each week someone uploads the four somewhere for people to watch. We vote on which of the four is the worst.

After eight weeks, the chosen ones get broken into groups of 4. The two winners there square off for the worst WCW PPV ever title.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

sportsgenius86 posted:

32 WCW PPVs. Eight groups of four. Each week someone uploads the four somewhere for people to watch. We vote on which of the four is the worst.

After eight weeks, the chosen ones get broken into groups of 4. The two winners there square off for the worst WCW PPV ever title.

That is what synchtube is for. This weekend we will set up the list and next start with the watching

Some Jerk
May 6, 2010
I'm in but I am terrified of all the pre-NWO shittiness I will be subjected to

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Some Jerk posted:

I'm in but I am terrified of all the pre-NWO shittiness I will be subjected to

Luckily thanks to WCW's complete inability to use their amazing roster the list will be dominated by nWo and post nWo shittiness!

If I had to pick 32 I think I'd go:

Halloween Havoc 20000
Fall Brawl 2000
New Blood Rising
Bash at the Beach 2000
Great American Bash 2000
Uncensored 2000
Halloween Havoc 99
Bash at the Beach 99
Great American Bash 99
World War 3 98
Fall Brawl 98
Road Wild 98
Starrcade 97
Uncensored 97
nWo Souled Out
Slamboree 96
Uncensored 96
World War 3 95
Halloween Havoc 95
Fall Brawl 95
Uncensored 95
Superbrawl V
Starrcade 94
Fall Brawl 94
Battle Bowl
Beach Blast 93
Halloween Havoc 92
Starrcade 91
Halloween Havoc 91
Great American Bash 91
Starrcade 90
Halloween Havoc 90

Daniel Bryan
May 23, 2006

GOAT
What about Fall Brawl 99? I remember plenty of people back then talking about how awful it was. I mean, it was the odd PPV that was in between the Bischoff and Russo era, so I really don't know what to think having not seeing it. Also the first FB without a WarGames match, which had to have sucked.

Daniel Bryan fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 2, 2012

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
Uncensored 97 shouldn't be on that list because the ending makes you forget everything that happened prior to it. :colbert:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Jack Krauser posted:

What about Fall Brawl 99? I remember plenty of people back then talking about how awful it was. I mean, it was the odd PPV that was in between the Bischoff and Russo era, so I really don't know what to think having not seeing it. Also the first FB without a WarGames match, which had to have sucked.

Yeah that probably belongs on there too.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Was the entire Halloween Havoc card that bad, or is it just the shittiness of the main event?

Job Creator
Apr 3, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

Fall Brawl 2000

I'd swap out Fall Brawl 2000 for Superbrawl X personally. I remember FB 2000 at least having some redeeming quality where Superbrawl X had Hogan VS Luger, KISS Demon VS The Wall and a laughable Triangle match for a Main Event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup

Perigryn posted:

I like to imagine Bret was thinking "I left WWF...for this.

Someone suggest this to Josh and Road Dogg for "Are You Serious?" (if it hasn't already been on the show).

I always hated how WCW did that. (especially with segments involving Sting) Just as something was about to go down they'd go 'we'll see you next week!!' Every god drat week