Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
I can't really comment on dad rock since my dad was on the job almost all of the day and my stepdad doesn't do much but drink and watch the news.

My mom pretty much listens to dad rock, hair rock from the 80s, and other random oldies so I suppose I can blame her for setting me towards the road for metal!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I would say we should have had a mom metal week near Mother's Day, but I have no idea what my mother listens to :iiam:

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
If I didn't know better I'd say that Abbath had killed Lemmy and absorbed his powers ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pav5ApkvyE0

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

My dad is into traditional Italian music and disco...I don't know what happened.

Morbid Florist
Oct 22, 2002

and most importantly, I am free in all the ways that you are not.

MrBling posted:

If I didn't know better I'd say that Abbath had killed Lemmy and absorbed his powers ...

I all but jumped out of my seat when I saw your post, but now that I'm listening to it....I mean it's loving good, but if this didn't have a description I'd just think this was an alternate take of motorhead's song.

I wish he at least sounded more like himself, had the Immortal guitar tone, SOMETHING to make it different.

It's awesome I just wish I could tell this was abbath

Not Very Metal
Aug 3, 2007

Shit Fuck Shit Fuck!
Yeah it's scary how close he sounds to lemmy. he's even got the upturned mic and right hand action!

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Dead Man Posting posted:

I would say we should have had a mom metal week near Mother's Day, but I have no idea what my mother listens to :iiam:

My mom listens to Sprinsteen and other mom rock. My dad listens to, uh, soccer?

I don't know what happened.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Drifter287 posted:

My dad is into traditional Italian music and disco...I don't know what happened.

Haha, same here -- all my dad listens to is Italian music from all generations. Granted he was born there but that is all he will like. My mom was more into motown -- so lots of music growing up. It was my brother who turned me "to the dark side" by introducing White Zombie and Obituary into my life when I was around 11.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

MrBling posted:

Dude from speedwolf already did that. And somehow sounds like Danzig too at times.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gP1AshICKeA

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

IRQ posted:

My mom listens to Sprinsteen and other mom rock.

I know this is the metal thread, but Springsteen owns. He owns. :colbert:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
My dad didn't rock. He never really listened to any music at all. Recently he's picked up some Bob Seger and Bob Dylan best-of albums, but I think it's more to remind him of his youth than the actual music.

My mom listens to country. :(

My daughter enjoys the soothing sounds of Amon Amarth.

p4vl
Aug 13, 2004

Morbid Florist posted:

I wish he at least sounded more like himself, had the Immortal guitar tone, SOMETHING to make it different.

It's awesome I just wish I could tell this was abbath

Well, he definetly put more effort into singing like Lemmy than he did into sounding like Fast Eddie Clarke. Abbath is too sloppy to pull off an accurate old school Motorhead impression.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

quote:

Dad talk
I don't know my dad. :smith:

My mother has a terrible taste in music, I was forced to listen to things such as Belinda Carlisle, ABBA and Rick Astley unironically. I was taken to a Cold Chisel concert as a very young kid and that was my only exposure to anything resembling anything not entirely crap.

It was the vibrant streets of Melbourne that led me to finding out about heavier music of all kinds, pretty much the best place in the world.

This band will remain my favourite for how much it opened me up to awesome music. :unsmith:

Great Horny Toads!
Apr 25, 2012

CornHolio posted:

My daughter enjoys the soothing sounds of Amon Amarth.
Man, I just imagined a bunch of kids in a classroom start singing a song, and one little girl off to the side is stompin' around windmilling and doing Cookie Monster vocals. gently caress yeah.

I found my brother's old Megadeth tape when I was 8. Then, there was Metallica and Anthrax. I remember really loving the Last Action Hero soundtrack, when I was a kid, too. Then, I spent several years trying really hard to like punk, but the only bands I really gave a poo poo about were heavily thrash-influenced. Sepultura was about the only metal I listened to in high school. For this, I was rewarded with a set of headphones with a loving 15ft. extension, so my parents would never have to hear my horrendous "power music". Assholes. :emo:

e: Now I have like 130 GB of metal on my laptop, and I rarely listen to anything else. I'll never leave you again, metal. I swear.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
My dad raised me on a bit of metal and a bit of rock and roll. I grew up with Metallica, Pearl Jam, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, etc. Nowadays he listens to a fair amount of metal I throw his way, but mostly Stoner/Heavy and or just metallic stuff. He doesn't do harsh vocals, though, which has led to some interesting conversations.

On Children of Bodom: "That kid can play, but he needs to just stop 'singing' while he's doing it."

On Immortal: "Oh wow, they're like a really angry KISS with that face paint."

My dad owns :colbert:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Defleshed posted:

I know this is the metal thread, but Springsteen owns. He owns. :colbert:

I cannot agree. He's a marble mouthed jackass who has written the same bad song for 30 years.

I'm not a music snob, I've been dragged to a christian folk concert and mostly enjoyed it. Springesteen is just terrible antiquated pop music by a guy who can't sing for poo poo.

If I ever in the highly unlikely event have children, they will be raised on a steady diet of black metal and classic metal.

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession
Okay let's get things back on track; if you want to post about dads' music tastes, do it in another forum.

Dol Ammad has a new(ish) album out, it's kind of a letdown on first listen (Ocean Dynamics at least had Aquatic Majesty, which is excellent). I'm sort of doubting they're really going to match the composition of Star Tales in any future releases, but here's hoping.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010
In terms of thrash metal, I've currently been spinning Kreator's latest non-stop, along with some Overkill, Sodom plus early Sepultura and Metallica. I also like Nightrage's Insidious.

What modern or old bands are there that I may also enjoy? I have tried getting into Slayer but Tom Araya's vocals aren't to my taste, nor are atonal shrieking solos, as I prefer something with a bit more melody.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
This is a really excellent compilation of heavy music from a good Vancouver label: http://apocalypsesunrise.bandcamp.com/album/apocalypse-sunrise-records-2012-compilation

A lot of it is not to my taste, but there's so much diversity I figured you all would appreciate it.

thehouseplant
May 2, 2007
Anyone listen to the new In Mourning? I really liked their first album, but their second was disappointing. Hoping there is something better in their new effort.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
Greetings bros, I posted a new Be'lakor tape awhile back and many of you seemed to enjoy it, so I figured I would alert you to the fact that they have posted the entirety of their new album on YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/user/belakorband

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYBgWgjjgxQ

Its fuckin RED HOT in my opinion. The entire album is packed with delicious riffs.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Defiant Sally posted:

Greetings bros, I posted a new Be'lakor tape awhile back and many of you seemed to enjoy it, so I figured I would alert you to the fact that they have posted the entirety of their new album on YouTube

Its fuckin RED HOT in my opinion. The entire album is packed with delicious riffs.

Yup, listened to it yesterday and it's just fantastic.

The problem now is that I can't listen to both Be'lakor and Grand Magus simultaneously.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

BjornOfBorg posted:

E: Also, wanted to remind people of my question earlier, which may have gotten drowned out by the dad chat. Would you buy CDs if it's just the CD and booklet, no inlays and jewel cases?

At least stick that thing in a cardboard sleeve or something.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

het posted:

Okay let's get things back on track; if you want to post about dads' music tastes, do it in another forum.

Somebody's dad doesn't love them :smith:

Auditore posted:

In terms of thrash metal, I've currently been spinning Kreator's latest non-stop, along with some Overkill, Sodom plus early Sepultura and Metallica. I also like Nightrage's Insidious.

What modern or old bands are there that I may also enjoy? I have tried getting into Slayer but Tom Araya's vocals aren't to my taste, nor are atonal shrieking solos, as I prefer something with a bit more melody.

Check out anything from Havok, Toxic Holocaust, or Municipal Waste for new stuff. For old school there's Testament, Exodus, and Nuclear Assault, among many others.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Defiant Sally posted:

Holy poo poo. :black101:

fappenmeister
Nov 19, 2004

My hand wields the might

Rob Lowe is out of Candlemass.

http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=174875

:smith:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Defleshed posted:

Somebody's dad doesn't love them :smith:

Check out anything from Havok, Toxic Holocaust, or Municipal Waste for new stuff. For old school there's Testament, Exodus, and Nuclear Assault, among many others.

I also want to recommend these bands, they're the flagship bands for modern thrash. Havok's album "Time is Up" is pretty good, though there's a few old school Araya like screams on a song or two. Another great modern band is Warbinger. If you go to shows a lot in the states, odds are you've seen them at least once since they have such a relentless touring schedule. All of their albums are good, but I personally love their two newest ones "Waking into Nightmares" and "Worlds Torn Asunder." Oh, and I can't mention modern thrash without recommending Vektor. I don't even want to explain them, because I don't want to pigeon hole them into any group or category. Just go out and listen to them, when you get the time.

There's a lot of great, old thrash bands. From the super-underground, only made one EP kind of bands, to the legendary thrash titans. You almost can never go wrong. But since I'm a big fanboy of this band and their lead guitarist, I want to recommend The Haunted. Their first album is straight up thrash with good catchy riffs. The recording is pretty bare-bones, and the songs are your typical 2m30s slugfests. Their next two albums are really good too, but the vocalist changed and their style also became a little heavier, more death metal like. It's a really heavy, hard hitting sound but it's not for everyone. I personally like their first vocalist better than their second one. After those two albums they got back their old singer and changed their sound to a more slower style. They still have a fast song or two on each album, but the past four albums haven't been as good as their first three, in my opinion.

Auditore
Nov 4, 2010

Francostein posted:

I also want to recommend these bands, they're the flagship bands for modern thrash. Havok's album "Time is Up" is pretty good, though there's a few old school Araya like screams on a song or two. Another great modern band is Warbinger. If you go to shows a lot in the states, odds are you've seen them at least once since they have such a relentless touring schedule. All of their albums are good, but I personally love their two newest ones "Waking into Nightmares" and "Worlds Torn Asunder."

Brother, this band "Havok" sounds excellent. "Warbringer" is pretty red hot too. Thanks for the great recommendations.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
I'm really not disappointed. I always thought Rob Lowe was tonally really flat and boring -- think Ripper Owens in Iced Earth -- and the band really deserves a much richer singer. Messiah Marcolin was a perfect fit for that band, and it's a shame that he was too much of a fat manbaby to continue.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
New Nile

DEAR RICHARD
Feb 5, 2009

IT'S TIME FOR MY TOOLS
Warbringer loving sucks

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Their first album was fun before the new wave of 80s thrash started wearing out its welcome, but pretty much everything they've done since has been painfully dull.

SHVPS4DETH
Mar 19, 2009

seen so much i'm going blind
and i'm brain-dead virtually

Ramrod XTreme

I dig the song but the mixing on this is horrible. Is that super-dry sound in vogue now?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

DEAR RICHARD posted:

Warbringer loving sucks

Bzzzzt. Wrong. Warbringer is pretty loving great. Living in A Whirlwind is one of the better songs to have come out recently.

Wyzt
Mar 22, 2007

At the Heart of the Swarm
I don't think theres any thrash bands from the last 10 or more years that I can stand listening to anymore apart from Birth AD(aka warbringer sucks)

RHTITE
Dec 26, 2008

Yeesh. If you can't do the vocals anymore, just give up the mic to someone else.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Wyzt posted:

I don't think theres any thrash bands from the last 10 or more years that I can stand listening to anymore apart from Birth AD(aka warbringer sucks)

The Absence were good, so were Into Eternity until they made that album about cancer, actually I'm not sure Into Eternity was thrash at all. I really don't like thrash at all either. Eh.

Defiant Sally
May 6, 2004

Focus your Orochi.
I really dont consider The Absence to be thrash, at all. If we're thinking about the same Absence, from Tampa?

Post the best thrash you got

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtQhsZYKne0

The Doo Do Chasers
Dec 27, 2008

:fella:Life is overwhelming:fella:

Wyzt posted:

Pretty much the only new thrash to give a gently caress about are bands you're friends are in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bX8Aj00xQkM

Oh man that Nile song is TERRIBLE. They've finally put out something awful. Good for them.

Sorry if you watched that far enough to see the most half assed circle pit

The Doo Do Chasers fucked around with this message at 10:49 on Jun 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
Sorry dudes, thrash is one of my favorite genres, maybe because I was into punk rock before I got into metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vK_k1RnSyE